Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Preseason

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Preseason

Post by pfloyd »

... feels good to be focused on high school hoops ... practices, scrimmages, Foundation games, Previews - ALL preseason "stuff" still!!! ... BUT the mark on the calendar, the circle around November 30th is now visible even through my bifocals ... as usual we have great coaches, great TEAMS, outstanding individual players in all divisions Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... looking forward to getting reacquainted with SEOPsters from around Southern Ohio, the many coaches/fans and communities that have made the Pfloyd Tour of Southern/SouthEast Ohio High School Hoops special every year ...

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason 2012-13

1. Ironton (15-5)
2. Warren (18-2)
3. Piketon (13-7)
4. Portsmouth (18-2)
5. Athens (11-9)
6. Minford (13-6)
7. Fairfield-Leesburg (11-9)
8. Unioto (14-6)

Treehugger Wannabes

Lucasville Valley (16-4)
Chillicothe (13-7)
Vinton County (14-6)
Logan Elm (15-5)
Eastern Brown (16-4)
Logan (7-13)
Westfall (8-12)
Marietta (10-10)
Oak Hill (13-7)
Waverly (15-5)
Wheelersburg (7-13)
Peebles (15-5)
Easkern Pike (15-5)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (18-2)
Federal Hocking (12-8)
Southeastern (13-7)
North Adams (12-8)
Chesapeake (19-1)
South Webster (12-8)
Huntington (14-6)
Zane Trace (9-10)
Symmes Valley (7-13)
Fairfield Union (9-11)
Sheridan (14-6)
Circleville (12-8)
Manchester (12-8)
Whiteoak (7-13)
Hillsboro (15-5)
Greenfield McClain (5-15)
Lynchburg Clay (11-9)
Belpre (15-5)
Miami Trace (9-11)
Washington Courthouse (10-10)
Wellston (12-8)
South Point (10-10)
Southern (17-3)
Nelsonville York (12-8)
Fairland (15-5)
Coal Grove (12-8)

Teams on the End Table (in no particular order)

Jackson (8-12)
South Gallia (11-9)
New Lexington (9-11)
Waterford (10-10)
New Boston (13-7)
Rock Hill (9-11)
Portsmouth East (8-12)
St. Joseph (10-10)
Franklin Furnace Green (7-13)
Paint Valley (5-15)
River Valley (5-15)
Reedsville Eastern (5-15)
Crooksville (4-16)
Portsmouth West (4-15)
Miller (4-15)
Alexander (5-15)
Western Pike (3-17)
Gallia Academy (3-17)
Northwest (2-18)
Trimble (2-18)
Portsmouth Clay (2-18)
West Union (1-19)
Adena (1-19)

... as usual feel free to agree/disagree with the rankings ... just don't throw sticks/stones ... the End table group is one where these teams WILL be watched closely so that the committee of one "me" can/will get them moving up/down the lists ... any corrections - tell me so I can adjust records etc. ... Omissions of teams!!! I know it is hard to believe but yes I have left teams off the lists - usually unintentionally BUT it does happen - tell me and I will again make the adjustments as needed or if you tick me off (93bulldog) I MIGHT leave the team off all together :mrgreen:

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Preseason

Post by pfloyd »

... as we go thru the rest of this week - previews/foundation games/scrimmages - we head into THE first weekend of hoops Nov.30, Dec 1st ... I will add napkin stats info that I have on some of the teams listed ... feel free to add names of players we should be watching, teams that have definitely/or will definitely be improved over last years' editions, napkin stats etc ... ALL of the usual "stuff" that makes the Basketball Forum on SEOPS "THE" place to go for all things high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... that includes your "opinions" - with our mantra being to "agree to disagree" ... SEOPS mods have always done an outstanding job of making sure that the conversations/discussions are appropriate ... looking forward to a Great 2012-13 Hoops Campaign across Southern Ohio ... with one eye on the 3 Weeks of the Convo in March ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

SWEET!

MAY HAVE TO STICKY THIS ONE.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Going to be a very tough start for Athens Floyd ... we are only four days removed from football season as of Wednesday (Nov. 21st).

8-out-of-the-first-9 games are on the road in December.

Games include @ Chesapeake, @ Gallia Academy, @ Logan Elm, @ New Lex, @ Jackson and @ Parkersburg South (yea, they are a West Virginia school - but have over 1,000 boys in it).

Its gonna be very intresting early on to say the least.

BTW ... LOVED SEEING THE MILLER FALCONS ON THE 'END TABLE' ..... :mrgreen:

- Which begs the question ... will the Falcons replace the 2011/2012 Southern Tornadoes as the team in which 93Dog constantly bugs Floyd about?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I think Adena will jump off the end table, even if it is just for a week.

Some youngsters in the SVC to watch out for:
Jonathan Thomas, Adena. Freshman pg for the Warriors is going to be a special player.
Pierce Mowery, Zane Trace. One of 3 freshmen on varsity for Coach Alley.
Erique Hosley, Unioto. Freshmen big who had 13 and 8 against VC in the foundation game.
Jake Skeens, Southeastern. Sophomore wing who is ultra athletic, can get to the hoop and score.
Kyle Strange, Nick Corcoran, Unioto. Sophomore backcourt who can score.
Of course, SE's Dylan Miles and Piketon's Wyatt Brewster are sophomores who were outstanding as freshmen as well.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

daniC - great info as usual ... looking forward to you keeping us in the know about the SVC again this season ... thanks

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93dog ... the committee of one - "me" - we always take into account those teams that are effected by their football runs - Athens, Lucasville Valley ... Athens SHOULD BE an Elite 8 team this season Coach Skinner I'm sure is chomping at the bit to get ALL of his pieces on the floor at the same time lol ...

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Thank you so much PFloyd

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

awwwww the world is right! Great start to the season pfloyd and welcome home!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

LetsGoPSU wrote:awwwww the world is right! Great start to the season pfloyd and welcome home!
:mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... it is going to be a very fun year in A-town ... unbelievable youth in the 'Dogs program ... could possibly see 3 sophomores and two freshmen on the floor at the same time ... 6-foot-5 senior Jared Elmore and 6-foot senior Sawyer Summers will be leaders on the team because of age (and they didn't play football and have been working hard on their game all off season) ... but 6'3 Joey Burrow, 6'4 Ryan leuhrman, 6'4 Adam Leuhrman (all soph's) will have a huge impact throughout the season ... as will the two freshmen Ibi Watson, and Zacchia Saltzman.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93dog ... it's no wonder Coach Skinner is excited about this year's edition of the Bulldogs ... with the "length" Burrow/Leuhrman "squared" etc. bring to the floor the AHS "perimeter defense" should be outstanding this season - throw in some hard nosed senior leadership in Elmore ... looking forward to seeing the 'dawgs" throughout the season ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Athens won't start worse than 3-3....probably not worse than 4-2

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

We'll see I92 ... (4-2) would be cool.

Floyd ... to say I'm stoked about the season would be an understatement ... lol ... have the preview tomorrow, we're taping the first edition of the Vinton County Roundball Podcast in a few days, probably doing the Sportsfan on 970 WATH early next week ... and I was just at Rynoldsburg High School over the weekend watching the Dogs play in the regional championship game in football ... whewwww, lots and lots of stuff going on for sure.

Chew on this for a second ... Joe Burrow had never played a varsity football game in his life before this year ... the kid steps onto the field and shatters every passing record known at Athens ... over 3,000 yards passing, 44 touchdown passes, almost 700 yards rushing and 12 rushing TD's ... and he leads his team to its first ever playoff win, and then another en route to being in the final 8 in the state.

If he improved that much on the gridiron - what will happen in basketball where he actually has a year of experience???
The same could be said for Ryan and Adam Leuhrman ... they played every down this year and came up huge throughout the season.

and BTW ... you need to add the Eastern girls to the 'end table' ... lol ... they're probably good enough to be on their.

white thunder
Riding the Bench

Post by white thunder »

Fairfield-lees burg scrimmages picketing next Tuesday, should be a good preview for both teams!

BasketballFan1
Riding the Bench

Post by BasketballFan1 »

Fairfield is going to be a handful this season. However as good as they could possibly be we all know how tough the SHL is. North Adams, Eastern Brown, and Peebles are going to be very good. Lynchburg and Ripley are always competitive. Manchester should be down a little but they will still be good. Fayetteville has the Iles boy who is capable of going off any night, so they can beat anyone on any given night. And I expect West Union to be much improved.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Great chance to get a look at 14 teams tomorrow at the Athens County Shrine Club Preview ... start time is 2:00 pm

Floyds #2 team, Warren, plays at 3:30
Floyd # 5 team, Athens, plays at 4:15
another contender, Vinton County, plays at 5:00

Three teams that will for sure be factors in the Division II, Logan sectional this year playing back-to-back-to-back games on Friday.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

danicalifornia wrote:I think Adena will jump off the end table, even if it is just for a week.

Some youngsters in the SVC to watch out for:
Jonathan Thomas, Adena. Freshman pg for the Warriors is going to be a special player.
Pierce Mowery, Zane Trace. One of 3 freshmen on varsity for Coach Alley.
Erique Hosley, Unioto. Freshmen big who had 13 and 8 against VC in the foundation game.
Jake Skeens, Southeastern. Sophomore wing who is ultra athletic, can get to the hoop and score.
Kyle Strange, Nick Corcoran, Unioto. Sophomore backcourt who can score.
Of course, SE's Dylan Miles and Piketon's Wyatt Brewster are sophomores who were outstanding as freshmen as well.
Dani lets not forget 6'6 Sophmore Aaron Southworth at PIketon also.

Cpeake740
Waterboy

Post by Cpeake740 »

I think Chesapeake will surprise a lot of people this year. They have looked good all summer long and are getting better and better. Coach Davis will have them ready for each and every game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Bengalfan- My bad on Southworth, didn't get a chance to see him get much run last year, but if he's anything like the past Southworth's from Piketon, he's going to be a load to deal with for the rest of the league.

SVC preview tonight, even though you can't take much out of it, like Huntington getting beat by nearly 40 last year. Can't wait to see how some of the league's athletes have transformed and improved, even if everything is being brought back some.

Just left the Portsmouth/Unioto scrimmage. Unioto won 4 quarters, Portsmouth won 1 and they tied 1. Unioto has much more depth and interior size, but Portsmouth's athleticism is outstanding. Carter struggled from the outside early, but caught fire late. He looks like he's ready to take over as the man for Coach Collins. Levi Porter will be able to stretch out bigs and the pg (#1) is very quick and can knock it down from deep. Portsmouth should have another nice season and will be matchup problems for everyone they play this year.
Unioto looked very good outside of one quarter with a lot of backups in, but was solid on D and Detillion had his way inside.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”