Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Post by bbjunky81 »

js7_22 wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:
js7_22 wrote:#27 Notre Dame travels to #15 Western and wins 66-54.
#18 East gets blown out by #14 Eastern 79-64
#19 Clay blows out #63 Green 74-45

South Webster some how lets go of a 10 point lead to lose by 9 to Oak Hill. I still think Webster is the top dog in that sectional. Them and Eastern would be a great game.
They "somehow" lost an 8 point lead by not handling pressure. Turnovers and excellent 3 point shooting by Waverly won them the game.

I think we're all seeing that the top of the SOC 2 is better than most expected. South Webster, Waverly, Wheelersburg, and Oak Hill are all very solid and can beat each other on any given night --- especially at home. If Waverly can force turnovers, they're really good.

South Webster will be fine. They are very well coached and just have some kinks to work through. A loss on the road against a 5-1 Waverly team isn't exactly some horrendous season ending loss. They'll be much better the next time they see Waverly.
"Somehow" they lost, those are my words, thanks for the correction. South Webster blew a large enough lead that ended up being flipped. You don't lead into the 3rd quarter by 8 only to get the table flipped on you. Defense needs to step up if it wants to have the gold ball brought to SW.

After seeing Oak Hill's well oiled machine operate, it'll be tough for anyone to beat them in the SOC 2, which results in a fun season to watch. Burg, SW and Waverly will have to step it up and play well night after night, one slip up could cost them the league.
It's not hard to blow a lead when you don't handle pressure / the opposing team shoots well from 3. Correct, that's way too many points to give up, but SW's defense has been pretty good all season. I believe they're holding opponents to 40 or less points a game, including holding Minford to 33 and Burg to 35.

The Jeeps weren't the favorites coming in, that would be Wheelersburg. Now it seems Oak Hill is the favorite. However, most teams still have 10 or 11 SOC Matches yet to go so who knows who will be the team to beat by years end. Could be any of the top 4, and I fully expect Minford to knock one of those off by years end.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

I see all the time people talking about the best point guards in our area. Most of the time I fail to see one name mentioned. Tristan Bartoe of Vinton County. Probably one of the hardest working and physical players you will see. Unselfish with the ball and closing in on a 1000 points. Just want to give him a shout out!! He, along with all the other boys, makes VC a fun team to watch.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Smeltzy wrote:FU has a TOUGH 4 game stretch there where they could possibly even fall out of the top 8 if things don't go well. I'm still not sure why FU is playing at Logan again when they played there last year. It should have been home this time. We ll see how things pan out. I haven't seen them play yet but hear that they have been very inconsistent so far and are not very deep yet. Yet, 3-0 is a good start with a win over Watterson and Logan Elm, so what do I know?

Isn't the DII Sectional at Logan? That could be why.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

I'm not sure if Unioto is a top 10 team in SEO this year. Still a lot of basketball to be played and I may be totally wrong but they lost a lot of talent from last year and I'm not sure the SVC is as strong as some of the other conferences.

GO EAGLES
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

brown22 wrote:I'm not sure if Unioto is a top 10 team in SEO this year. Still a lot of basketball to be played and I may be totally wrong but they lost a lot of talent from last year and I'm not sure the SVC is as strong as some of the other conferences.

... brown22 - I'll get to see the Shermans again next Tuesday night as the entertain Fairfield Union at the U ... Coach Hoops definitely lost a boat load of key players last year Hosley inside and Cole Cottrill on the perimeter are definitely key players gone to graduation but he also returned a great deal of talent all across the floor - PG Logan Swackhammer,Brandon Kennedy, Gabe Fisher, Peyton Hill, Casey White, Gavin Ogan, Clay Edler ALL had major varsity minutes in the last 2 years of Unioto success both regular season and in the post season ...

... Unioto lost to Logan in game one which I would have predicted as the U was searching for "roles" ...last night UHS lost to a very good Wilmington team on the road ... leadership, discipline on the floor , defined roles are still an issue with the U ... you're right in that to be a top 10 team at some point a team has to get it done on the court ... I'll see where they stand based on a comparison from the opening night at Logan to Tuesday vs FU ...

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Skiisme wrote:I see all the time people talking about the best point guards in our area. Most of the time I fail to see one name mentioned. Tristan Bartoe of Vinton County. Probably one of the hardest working and physical players you will see. Unselfish with the ball and closing in on a 1000 points. Just want to give him a shout out!! He, along with all the other boys, makes VC a fun team to watch.
I couldn't agree with this more. I've watched Bartoe play since he was in the 3rd grade. He was always ahead of the curve, but once his body caught up to his skill set he went to another level.

Another point guard mention should be Landon Carroll for Oak Hill. He has the ability to score on you at will by penetrating or dropping a trey in your eye. He could be scoring 30+ a night, but plays very unselfish in a very team driven Norm Persin offense. Throw in another 10+ assists a night and 5-10 boards, he's one of the best in Southern Ohio that doesn't get much recognition.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

pfloyd wrote:
brown22 wrote:I'm not sure if Unioto is a top 10 team in SEO this year. Still a lot of basketball to be played and I may be totally wrong but they lost a lot of talent from last year and I'm not sure the SVC is as strong as some of the other conferences.

... brown22 - I'll get to see the Shermans again next Tuesday night as the entertain Fairfield Union at the U ... Coach Hoops definitely lost a boat load of key players last year Hosley inside and Cole Cottrill on the perimeter are definitely key players gone to graduation but he also returned a great deal of talent all across the floor - PG Logan Swackhammer,Brandon Kennedy, Gabe Fisher, Peyton Hill, Casey White, Gavin Ogan, Clay Edler ALL had major varsity minutes in the last 2 years of Unioto success both regular season and in the post season ...

... Unioto lost to Logan in game one which I would have predicted as the U was searching for "roles" ...last night UHS lost to a very good Wilmington team on the road ... leadership, discipline on the floor , defined roles are still an issue with the U ... you're right in that to be a top 10 team at some point a team has to get it done on the court ... I'll see where they stand based on a comparison from the opening night at Logan to Tuesday vs FU ...

If anyone would know it's you floyd. There is A lot of good teams out there and I know the U lost some key players from last year, wasn't sure if they have the firepower this year. Still a lot of ball left and we will learn more as the year goes on.

GO EAGLES
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 51
Fairfield Union 44 a final ...

... what a great game to watch from the Cheap Seats !!! if you like defense THIS was a gem to watch - wow - what a great total game on the defensive end by the Purple & White of Logan - outstanding ... every player did what needed to be done to take away the strengths that FU brings to every game they play - inside strength, perimeter scoring along with getting to the basket off the dribble - Logan took ALL of that away tonight ... Colin Woodside was minimized as much as you can a 6-6 Big ... every touch he got down low he was immediately double teamed /before he could square up - very few chances to get into the paint ... Kory Henthorne did a "line mans" job down low, using his own strength to "push" Woodside out on the floor off the blocks - pushing Woodside out forced him to have to put the ball on the floor ( and we know what happens when a big needs to put the ball on the floor - the size advantage is nullified as seemingly at least 4 hands were on the ball ... outstanding to watch the inside defensive TEAM effort by Logan ... 2nd factor to Logan defensive success tonight, as good as the inside D was - the perimeter defense was its equal - the perimeter players gave FU's shooters - Thompson, Price, Miller,Conrad - nothing, no open looks ... FU ended with 5 threes which was matched by Logan's 4 treys ... which left the game to be decided by Points in the Paint & FreeThrow Shooting BOTH were won by the Chiefs tonight - Logan was 13/14 from the FT line while FU went 11/17 from the charity stripe ... Points in the Paint : Logan 20 PntP & FU was held to 16 ... Logan +4 on PntP Logan +2 in FTs ... I was impressed as both teams were under 10 TOs on the game with Logan at 7 & FU with 8 ... Logan had an answer for every Falcon run tonight - a stop on defense each time kept FU one possession away from getting a lead and allowed Logan to open up 5-7 point leads in crucial 4th quarter moments ... Great game by both teams !!! ... Logan 51 Fairfield Union 44 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Fairfield Union ...

Scoring ... Hayden Price 13, Colin Woodside 9, Luke Thompson 7, Brad Miller 6, Spencer Conrad 5, Jack Woolshire 2, Will Ogg 2
3Pointers ... 5/18 ... Brad Miller 2, Hayden Price 2, Lucas Thompson 1
FT's ......... 11/17
TOs ......... 8
PntP ........ 16
Transition Points ... 2

,,, Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Caleb Bell 14, Bo Myers 13, Caiden Landis 10, Coby Bell 6, Kory Henthorne 4, Wes Brooks 2, Colton Dixon 2
3pointers ... 4/16 .... Coby Bell 2, Caleb Bell 1, Bo Myers 1
FT's ......... 13/14 ... the last 11 points were from the line (Caleb Bell 7/8 in the 4th qtr)
TOs ......... 7
PntP ........ 20
Points in Transition
... 2

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Now the big question! How far does FU drop and how far does Logan climb?

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Fairfield Union, Miami Trace and Unioto fell this week
I can see Unioto falling out and Logan going to 8th

What has to be looked at is the teams Logan will be playing on down the line. Going into the top 8 might be their last chance after this game.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”