Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Edition

Post by pfloyd »

... What a finish to the regular season as the Pfloyd Tour was on hand to see a great game in Thornville for the MVL Championship between Sheridan and John Glenn ... the Little Muskies jumped out big on the Generals taking an 11 point lead in the 2nd only to see Sheridan roar back with a 12-2 finish before intermission to close ... Sheridan 27 John Glenn 28 at the recess ... John Glenn streaked to an 11 pt advantage in the 3rd only to see SHS again whittle away at the lead in the 3rd Sheridan 35 John Glenn 42 after three ... the 4th frame had Sheridan hold the fish to 0 FGs! get the score to a 1 pt JG advantage with 1:01 to play in the game ... Sheridan would go scoreless in the last 60 secs while John Glenn rode the FT shooting of Crawford 4/4 from the line to pick up the "W" and a piece of the MVL Championship with Sheridan (a key napkin stat on Sheridan - the Generals went 0/15 from behind the arc on the game - ouch!) Sheridan 42 John Glenn 47 a final ... what a way for the regular season to end - packed house, two great teams ( Sheridan came into the game losing 2 games by a total of 5 points, while John Glenn had lost 2 games by a combined 2 points) ... great ball game to watch from the Cheap Seats ...

... IF you look back over the regular season one has to be honest and say we saw the makings of some great basketball TEAMS - the Elite 8 each played the type of basketball to warrant their inclusion as the TOP 8 TEAMS Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line for the 2010-11 Regular Season ... we have teams that backed up their appearances at the big show in C'bus last season, we have some teams who have legitimate goals of making the trip from the Convo to the Schott in late March 2011 ... take a look at the final edition of Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/Southeastern Ohio heading into the "Survive and Advance" season of sectional, district and regional play ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio 2/13/11 ...

1. Chesapeake (19-1)

2. Portsmouth (16-4)

3. Chillicothe (17-3)

4. Peebles (19-1)

5. Sheridan (17-3)

6. Warren (17-3)

7. Piketon (18-2)

8. Reedsville Eastern (17-3)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

Miami Trace (14-5)
Logan Elm (14-6)
Marietta (14-6)
Vinton County (16-4)
South Webster (15-4)
Hillsboro (13-7)
Huntington (13-7)
Washington Courthouse (14-6)
Manchester (15-5)
Ironton (12-7)
Wheelersburg (15-5)
Unioto (13-7)
Fairfield Union (10-10)
Greenfield McClain (9-11)
Eastern Brown (10-8)
WhiteOak (9-11)
Oak Hill (14-6)
Symmes Valley (17-3)
Fairland (13-7)
South Point (11-8)
Lucasville Valley (10-10)
Waverly (8-11)
Wahama (14-7)
Southeastern (9-11)
Paint Valley (10-9)
Meigs (10-10)
Alexander (9-10)
Gallia Academy (7-13)
Jackson (5-15)
Southern (10-9)
Trimble (12-8)
Fairfield Leesburg (9-11)
Franklin Furnace Green (14-5)
Athens (8-12)
Wellston (10-10)
South Gallia (10-10)
Circleville (4-16)
Ironton St. Joe (12-7)
Portsmouth Clay (12-8)
Northwest (8-11)
North Adams (5-13)
Waterford (11-9)
Minford (7-13)
Eastern Pike (10-9)
River Valley (8-12)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Logan (5-15)
Belpre (7-13)
Westfall (7-11)
New Lexington (8-12)
Nelsonville York (5-15)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (8-12)
Portsmouth West

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Editio

Post by danicalifornia »

Miami Trace has 4 losses, I believe are 15-4 and aren't making up the game with Adena(which would be a W)

Zane Trace(5-16) gets a big W over Belpre tonight in the Sectional Semi's and get to face off with Fairland to get to the Convo.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the Survive and Advance Season has officially tipped off ... the Run for Basketball Thirty at the Convo has begun ...

MONDAY
Boys Tournament Basketball
Division 2 Sectional Opening Round @ Southeastern HS
Circleville 65
Jackson 52

Division 2 Sectional Opening Round @ Logan HS
Athens 59
New Lexington 53

Division 3 Sectional Semis @ Athens HS
Zane Trace 67
Belpre 61

Division 3 Sectional Semis @ Waverly Downtown Gym
Lynchburg Clay 47
North Adams 44

Division 3 Sectional Semis @ Jackson HS
Minford 60
Rock Hill 50

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

Great list PFLOYD and thank you for another fun and information filled season of Napkin stats. Also may your health continue in abundant improvement.
I hope that my TROJANS reach the Convo, and either Biggdowgg, trojandave, or ozzie is gracious enough to introduce us. It has been a pleasure to follow the TROJANS all the way from N.E. PA. with the help of your Napkin stats and other folks from south of the Lancaster/Dixon Line. :mrgreen:

Now let the games be settled on the court. Good luck to all tournament bound teams, and safe travels to all. Both to and from your destinations.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

My boys from Reedsville finally hitting the top 8!!

Maroon Shorts
Riding the Bench

Post by Maroon Shorts »

Don't like the elite 8 this final week Pfloyd but, you have put a lot of research and work into this one. Congrats on that.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

What changes would you make??

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'll bow down to this list Floyd ... I know its a shocker to hear that from the 'conservative' party of one - Me - but it loooks pretty good.

I know one thing ... I'm pretty psyched about the D-III tourney at the Convo (given there are no big upsets in the sectional) ... Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Peebles, Piketon - All ranked in the top 10 in the State Poll and ALL ranked in Pfloyds final elite 8 poll.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Good point bdwg, it is about time that people start noticing that southern Ohio can play some basketball too.

In the 2000's these teams have went to state out of southern Ohio:Wheelersburg, Eastern Brown, Chesapeake, Ironton, Eastern Meigs, Oak Hill, Chillicothe, South Webster and Belpre (am I missing anyone?). Chili, Oak Hill and South Webster have brought home titles.

Time for some RESPECT!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Whiteoak got there as well.

Almost identical to my 8 in the public poll, so I obviously like it.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Maroon Shorts wrote:Don't like the elite 8 this final week Pfloyd but, you have put a lot of research and work into this one. Congrats on that.

When I do my D4 Rankings I dont put a lot of stock into team win/loss records because not everyone's schedules are comparable. What I do put stock into is who have you played and who have you beat. Another big question that I ask myself is If I had to bet my own money on a game between two teams who would you take. I only do D4 Rankings but If I were to do the whole district the answer to my last question would weigh heavily on my rankings. Also, the size of the school and the size of the majority of that teams opponents must be considered. An average D2 team is going to have a lot of success usually against a D4 team - its simple math.

An example of this would be Logan Elm. People, ask yourself this question honestly. If you had to bet your house on a game between Logan Elm and Reedsville Eastern - who would you take? If you dont want to lose your house you will say Logan Elm! LOL

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

Eastern might win that game 2 or 3 times out of 10

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Logan Elm has also been to the Final Four - 2009.

Logan Elm doesn't deserve to be in the Elite Eight right now. They are 5-5 in its last 10 games and have lost 3 of its last 4. Rather Reedsville Eastern deserves it, I don't know.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

The thing that hurts eastern is playing in a 9 team tvc hocking only allowing them to have 4 non league games

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... oldtrojan ... thank you for the positive comments on THE list ... IF I didn't enjoy high school hoops like I do I simply wouldn't do the "lists" - I can't go to a game anymore without keeping "napkin stats" LOL ... I don't have a problem telling it like it is after seeing teams play , but I hope that I do it in a way that never downgrades the efforts of all of the "kids" playing the "game" or the "coaches" who enjoy teaching the game - IF I ever do that I will stop going to games/or posting ... great story => MIller HS won but ONE game this season BUT those kids worked hard all season in practice on the court to get that ONE victory in the last game of the season -they could have phoned in that last game but didn't - it's called pride ... pride in your school, your team, pride in yourself - basketball "teaches" an individual many things other than the sport itself ... many of these "learned" behaviors are what goes with the "kids" for the rest of their lives ... High School Hoops - great stuff , no matter the year ...

... I'll be in my usual "reserved" Cheap Seat at the Convo - okay it's only reserved because I get there early enough to have the same seat location every year LOL ... make sure trojandave, biggdowgg, Ozzie point you in the right direction - look forward to meeting you during Basketball Thirty ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Looks good.

I see you are still stubbornly putting the capital "O" in Whiteoak.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I92 ... LOL - sorry ... one of those things that I do ... an "old age" thing I suppose OR knowing that it "ticks" you off makes me do it LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... it's time to gather the "napkin stat" sheets together, change clothes and head to Jim's Gym here in Logan ... looking forward to a great night of quality high school hoops ...Sheridan vs Gallia Academy (the Generals coming off of a disappointing loss to John Glenn last night to fall into a share of the MVL championship) followed by Logan Elm vs Fairfield Union (the rubber match for these 2 MSL foes, each beating each other during the regular season) ... don't forget to post the sectional finals from around Southern/Southeastern Ohio tonight after the games (SCORES please, and a complimentary "napkin stat" would be great LOL) ...

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Pfloyd, It was a fun year watching you move and shake up the ranking from week to week. Hope you're feeling better and are ready to attack the Elite 8 again next season!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote:... it's time to gather the "napkin stat" sheets together, change clothes and head to Jim's Gym here in Logan ... looking forward to a great night of quality high school hoops ...Sheridan vs Gallia Academy (the Generals coming off of a disappointing loss to John Glenn last night to fall into a share of the MVL championship) followed by Logan Elm vs Fairfield Union (the rubber match for these 2 MSL foes, each beating each other during the regular season) ... don't forget to post the sectional finals from around Southern/Southeastern Ohio tonight after the games (SCORES please, and a complimentary "napkin stat" would be great LOL) ...

Wishing I wasn't sick or I'd be joining you tonight. Gotta watch my Shermans tomorrow night, but there's a chance I'll be making an appearance Friday night in the land of the Purple.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”