Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Post by pfloyd »

... Excellent week in high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... the top teams put their records on the line for early season match-ups Portsmouth traveled to Ironton to take on Coach LeFon's Tigers ... Chillicothe traveled to the big city to take on Dayton Stivers, Warren went on the road for a Washington County rivalry game vs Belpre HS , Huntington took on the Piketon squad of Coach Lisath, Fairfield Union which entered their first week in the rare air of the Elite 8 went into battle vs MSL foe Circleville without their floor general PG Jordan Barr ... the committee of one -me - had a lot to look at as teams are beginning to "show us what they have" ... the Pfloyd Tour traveled to McArthur to see Vinton Co host the Athens Bulldogs in a TVC Ohio matchup ... before finishing out the weekend with a road trip to Chillicothe and the land of the Sherman's to see Unioto take on Southeastern ... great week as I said for high school basketball AND "the WEEK that IS" will be just as good IF NOT BETTER as we end the week on Saturday with the 17th Hoops Invitational at the Convo :

9:00 AM Girls Alexander VS Pickerington Central
10:45 AM Boys Alexander vs Oak Hill
12:30 PM Girls Fort Frye vs Oak Hill
2:15 PM Boys Waverly vs Warren
4:00 PM Boys Porthsmouth Notre Dame vs Tree of Life
5:45 PM Boys St. Clairsville vs Ironton
7:30 PM Boys Logan Elm vs Chesapeake
9:15 PM Boys Nelsonville-York vs Trimble

... looking forward to seeing as many SEOPreps Cheap Seats fans as we can Saturday afternoon/evening ... will get to see some teams that are making noise in the rankings- Oak Hill, Waverly, Ironton, Portsmouth ND, Chesapeake - that I don't get to see often until the end of the season when they get to the 3 Weeks of the Convo ... also looking forward to hearing and seeing Lou Horvath! - we ALL know that you CAN'T talk about high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line without mentioning Lou Horvath and Basketball Thirty at the Convo ... I told Lou last March as we talked for a few that "he has made high school hoops in Southern/SouthEast the draw that it is... kids who play Below the Line want to /need to /have to get to the Convo to hear their names announced by Lou at Basketball Thirty" ... Lou is "a legend" in Southern/SouthEast Ohio high school hoops ... get out and see Lou this Saturday at the Convo! ...

...Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2...

1. Chillicothe (2-0) ... 62.00 offensive ppg/44.00 defensive ppg allowed ... Malik London triple double 14pts/14rbs/10blks vs Dayton Stivers, Zac Johnson led the Cavs with 20 pts, Aaron Elliot added 13 pts in the 64-46 Cavs "W" ...

2. Ironton (2-0) ... 59.5 offensive ppg/51.00 defensive ppg allowed ... IHS beat #1 Portsmouth 66-52...led by Zac Carter 22 pts/7rbs/4asts/4stls ... Trey Fletcher 19pts/12rbs/3stls ... Dion Brown added 9pts/5rbs/2asts/1stl/2blks for the Tigers...

3. Chesapeake (3-0) ... 81.67 offensive ppg/44.00 defensive ppg allowed ... Austin McMasters poured in 33 as the 'Peake finished off a 3 win week beating East Carter 86-48 ... Friday night CHS beat Gallia Academy 79-41 led by the joint effort of the Panther "Big Four" Kennedy 24 pts/8rbs , McMaster 16pts/9 rbs, Brandon Noble 10pts/8rbs, Javon Thompson 13 pts ...

4. Portsmouth (2-1) ... 60.33 offensive ppg/55.33 defensive ppg allowed ... the Trojans traveled to Ironton putting their #1 Elite 8 ranking on the line vs the Tigers ... PHS got knocked off in I'town 52-66... Wayne Evans led PHS with 23 pts/7rbs/4 asts/2stls ...

5. Warren (3-0) ... 75.33 offensive ppg/43.00 defensive ppg allowed ... Warren finished the week with 2 wins for Coach Maddox as the Warriors routed Belpre at Belpre 81-55 ... the Blue put 4 players in double figure scoring led by Jeremy Hastie's 17 pts/Winland & Knost added 14 each with sophomore Evan French chipping in 13 pts for Warren Local ...

6. Logan Elm (2-0) ... 57.00 offensive ppg/44.5 defensive ppg allowed ... the Red/White Braves of Logan Elm picked up win #2 beating winless Teays Valley 55-40 to go to 2-0 heading into the Week that is Week #3 of the young season ... LE had balanced scoring Dillon Young 11/Anthony Vagnier 14/Eli Pritchard 12pts/ Blake Riffle 14pts ...

7. Huntington (3-0) ... 59.67 offensive ppg/48 defensive ppg allowed ... the Huntsmen from Knockemstiff went to a perfect 3-0 beating Paint Valley to cap a 2 win week 57-40 ... big man Dylan Gragg led the way with 22pts followed by Blake Campbell's 12 pts, Brian Hall with 11 pts on the night ...

8. Fairfield Union (2-0) ... 52.5 offensive ppg/42.0 defensive ppg allowed ... Coach Brusco was without PG Jordan Barr going into "roundtown" with his FU Falcons...FU stayed undefeated in the young season escaping with a 45-43 win over Coach Evans Circleville squad ... FU was led by Derek Clark 20pts/David Fox 10 pts/ David Wolshire 6 pts ...

... Treehugger Wannabes...

Marietta (1-1)
Lucasville Valley (2-2)
Piketon (1-1)
Unioto (3-0)
Peebles (1-0)
Manchester (2-1)
Vinton County (1-1)
South Gallia (1-0)
Oak Hill (3-0)
Whiteoak (2-1)
Waverly (2-0)
Fairland (2-0)
Southern (2-0)
Zane Trace (2-1)
Fairfield Leesburg (2-1)
Eastern Brown (0-2)
Southeastern (1-2)
Circleville (2-1)
Jackson (2-1)
Logan (0-2)
Athens (2-2)
Wheelersburg (0-2)
Hillsboro (1-2)
Westfall (1-2)
Greenfield McClain (1-2)
Lynchburg Clay (1-2)
South Point (0-2)
Minford (1-1)
Belpre (0-2)
Wahama (0-1)
North Adams (2-1)
Sheridan (2-0)
Eastern Pike (1-1)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (2-1)
South Webster (1-2)
Reedsville Eastern (3-0)
New Lexington (2-2)
Waterford (0-1)
Nelsonville York (2-2)
Gallia Academy (1-3)
Wellston (1-0)
Alexander (1-2)
Paint Valley (1-2)
Coal Grove (3-0)
River Valley (0-2)
Federal Hocking (1-1)
Northwest (1-2)
Trimble (0-3)
New Boston (2-0)
Washington CH (1-2)
Portsmouth Clay (1-2)

... End Table Teams ...

Rock Hill (1-1)
Symmes Valley (1-3)
Meigs (0-3)
Portsmouth West (0-3)
Miami Trace (0-2)
Green (1-1)
Adena (0-3)
Western Pike (1-2)
Trimble (0-3)
Ironton St. Joe (1-2)
Portsmouth East (0-3)
Miller (0-1)

... there you have it the Week that Was Week #2 in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio basketball ... take a look at the rankings, a whole lot of movement as teams begin to get into their schedules before the Christmas holidays ... check the records - IF they need corrected let me know ... 70 teams are a lot for an old man - me - to keep track of BUT the committee of one -me - will give it a shot ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Post by Ironman92 »

I'd go Warren over Portsmouth thus far.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

C'mon pfloyd, the Shermans got a 16 pt win at the Dome, while Piketon only won by 8! LOL...looks good though! Hopefully the Shermans and Huntsmen can go through this week unbeaten to set up a BIG game at Huntington on the 20th, should be a big game either way!

Is Warren/Portsmouth THE game of the week?

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Ironman92 wrote:I'd go Warren over Portsmouth thus far.
yeah right??? guess we'll see....we play em soon

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... daniC ... there is a little matchup between Logan Elm and Chesapeake Saturday at the Convo as well that could be another choice for game of the week in the Week that IS ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... this one is ready for a sticky before it disappears onto the 2nd page to never be seen/heard from again ;-p

ScarletFever
Waterboy

Post by ScarletFever »

Logan Elm and Chesapeake should be a amazing game. I got to see LE @ the Tip off and they looked like a good solid team, some first half mistakes, but cleaned up in the second half to take out hillsboro. Haven't had a chance to catch "Peake" play yet, but I always expect a good solid team from them. If I wasn't busy moving I'd love to make the trip down to the convo for some basketball 30.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

jgordon0315 wrote:
Portsmouth is not clicking completely and Warren has been very hot. I could definitely see Portsmouth winning and maybe by double digits....but Warren's year in and year out toughness and consistency with Coach Maddox makes your "yeah right" look worse than my minor limb walk.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Ironman92 wrote:
jgordon0315 wrote:
Portsmouth is not clicking completely and Warren has been very hot. I could definitely see Portsmouth winning and maybe by double digits....but Warren's year in and year out toughness and consistency with Coach Maddox makes your "yeah right" look worse than my minor limb walk.

oh yeah, cause portsmouth's been inconsistent and "not tough" under coach collins' tenure...again, we'll see...but we have Jackson first, so maybe we'll continue to not click with our 5 losses to start the season......we have lost 5 games already, right(sarcasm) but fair enough...i figured inevitably, we'd drop in the rankings if we lost early but I didnt think we'd fall behind warren, unless they beat an established power.....they must be real impressive.....hopefully my trojans right the ship but most importantly finish strong....didn't realize the sky was falling....j/k

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

LE is going to have to play a lot better to have a shot at the Peake. LE is still a raw team trying to find its way some. Looking forward to coming down to the Convo for a little 'Basketball Thirty' preview and some good ballgames.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

BTW...LE is the Braves not the Indians, that's who LE plays on Friday in Winchester.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

A little touchy jgordon? Collins has done a phenomenal job since the beginning of his tenure. On paper and expected Portsmouth is #1-3 IMO, but incredibly early on I'd have them at #5. Pfloyd has them all the way up at #4. IMO from the outside of both teams....Warren is very much clicking on all cylinders while Portsmouth is not competing quite as I expected they would. I thought they would have handled Valley a bit better and I thought it would've been a toss up between them and Ironton. There's not much to go on....cream always rises and I'll be surprised if Portsmouth isn't top 3 most of the season and possibly the #1.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Ironman92 wrote:A little touchy jgordon? Collins has done a phenomenal job since the beginning of his tenure. On paper and expected Portsmouth is #1-3 IMO, but incredibly early on I'd have them at #5. Pfloyd has them all the way up at #4. IMO from the outside of both teams....Warren is very much clicking on all cylinders while Portsmouth is not competing quite as I expected they would. I thought they would have handled Valley a bit better and I thought it would've been a toss up between them and Ironton. There's not much to go on....cream always rises and I'll be surprised if Portsmouth isn't top 3 most of the season and possibly the #1.
we'll see....on another note, we haven't played valley, maybe tourney time....but we're not scheduled to play them either. That was ironton that played valley, in which valley played them close.

generalwatcher
Waterboy

Post by generalwatcher »

A little update from the "Northern" Southeastern Ohio. New Lexington is 2-2 with wins over Nelsonville and West Muskingum and losses to Fairfield Union and Sheridan. This year NL returned 4 starters from last years 8-13 team.

Sheridan has started off 2-0 by winning against Philo and NL. They lost a TON (6 of last years 8 man rotation graduated) from last years 18-4 team. Jacob Horsley (Sr-17ppg) is the only starter returning and is leading a lineup that consists of a Freshman point guard, a sophmore and 2 juniors. Coming off the bench is another sophmore, a 6-7 junior and a senior. They will be a work in process this season but have the ability to be a pretty decent team by end of season. The next 2 weeks will provide huge tests for the young team as they face Maysville, John Glenn and Columbus DeSales, before traveling over the winter break to play in the Newark Catholic holiday tournament

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Warren has not played a real tough opponent so far but it is going to get real tough quick! I like how the Warrior schedule is laid out early with several games to evaluate the rotation and tweek the flaws...yes Warren has shot extremely well in 2 of 3 but there is plenty to improve on, particularly in the ball handling dept...way too many turnnovers for anyones comfort level....the 8 will begin to sort itself out over the next couple of weeks as conference play begins and great head to head matchups are around the bend. The Portsmouth Warren games have been so big the last few years in determining the league title....hopefully this is Warren's year to get over that hump....this Portsmouth game I hope is special and comes down to the last possession....floyd the cheap seats will be gone early this week but we'll make room for you.....

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth lost to a very good Ironton team that deserves their ranking.......the Trojans were hurt mostly by poor free throw shooting.........if PHS had made a respectable pct. of FT's, that game probably goes down to the last minute. We shot only 13-23 from the stripe (some front end of 1 and 1's), while the Fighting Tigers, particularly Zac Carter (14-15), were money (22-28) on the charity shots.

PHS will get better as the personnel and coaching are very good........we weren't going undefeated anyway, so there is no shame in losing to IHS on their home court in the 3rd game of the season.

At Ironton, at Warren, and at Chillicothe in 4 games is a lot to ask to keep the lofty ranking........I definitely think as the season goes that the Trojans will contend for the SEOAL title and get themselves ready to defend their regional championship.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the Week that IS in the SEOAL ...

Tuesday 12/13

Chillicothe @ Logan
Gallia Academy @ Warren Local
Jackson @ Portsmouth

Friday 12/16

Chillicothe @ Jackson
Gallia Academy vs Logan
Portsmouth @ Warren

Saturday 12/17

Warren @ the Convo vs Waverly 2:15pm
Logan vs Fairfield Union
Gallia Academy @ Meigs
Chillicothe @ Hamilton

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks generalwatcher - I corrected the New Lex record, on my "handscribbled" records sheet I did have that Nelsonville "W" for NL ... just never listed it in the record ... Sheridan is holding it together "so far" ... what they aren't doing is putting the ball IN the basket BUT the Sheridan "D" is keeping the opposition from scoring ... a 2-0 start ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... Is your 'tree huger' list supposed to be in order or are they just placed on a list?

We got a some pretty good games tomorrow night in the TVC:

Wellston @ Athens (The Golden Rockets should be fairly high on the tree huger list in fact they are supposed to be in order.)
Vinton County @ Nelsonville-York (The Buckeyes can be a dangerous team at home)
Southern @ South Gallia (big game in the 'small school' division)
Eastern @ Fed Hock (great story line with Howie.)

BTW Floyd ... Did the sportsfan on WATH tonight - I think you can download the podcast here in a little while ... It was definitly a little easier doing a show in my own backyard as opposed to be being 'bullied' down in McArhur last week ... lol

http://southeasternohiopreps.com/forum/ ... =4&t=84317

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the Treehuggers ARE in order as they fall in behind the Elite 8 ... you can put ALL 71 teams (counting Wahama WVa) in numerical order as I see them across Southern/SouthEastern Ohio ...

... looking forward to hearing the podcast! - are you going to be on the GOP debates this Thursday night too???? :mrgreen:

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”