Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Post by pfloyd »

... What a Week that WAS in Southern/Southeast Ohio hoops ... teams in the Elite 8 squared off against each other - Logan Elm vs Chesapeake/ Warren vs Portsmouth, teams wanting to make a claim to being worthy of Elite 8 consideration challenged teams already established on the top 8 listing - Waverly vs Ironton & Warren/Jackson vs Portsmouth & Chillicothe ... anyway you look at it the Week that WAS had a something for every Cheap Seat high school basketball fan ...

... I just counted up the teams I have had the opportunity to see so far in this young season => 33 teams thus far, 14 of my top 20 teams I have seen in action this season ... I'm loving it ! ... more importantly I have had the opportunity to meet up with players/ coaches/ seopsters who truly love the game of basketball ... it has been great stuff for sure AND just for 93dog I bought myself a Christmas gift for the ride! - 2 magnetic car signs! both showing the "Southern Ohio famous" Purple Hippo, with the words "Pfloyd's HS Hoops Tour" LOL ... I know how 93dog loves the color purple AND the dancing Purple Hippo - I couldn't resist!!! ...

... please check the records, make sure I have not lost an "L or W" somewhere along the line ... lots of movement on all lists this week! ... the Elite 8 has newcomers Unioto and Peebles (with Peebles being a regular year in year out, but new for this season) ... I'm pretty sure that the Sherman's of Unioto are breaking into the elite list for the first time EVER - congratulations Coach Hoops & the Shermans ... a tough call this week with Logan Elm knocking off Chesapeake minus Austin McMaster's 26 ppg/leadership/6-6 wingspan yada yada yada BUT the committee decided in the end that LE did in fact get the "W" vs CHS after the Braves lost to Canal Winchester earlier in the week (listing them first on the list) moving them into a tie with the Peake at the 6 spot ... Portsmouth dropped to 3-2 on the season with their loss at Warren Local Friday night AND dropped to number 5 in the rankings BUT the Trojans will travel to Chillicothe to take on the #1 ranked Cavs this Tuesday night !!! should be a dandy ... sitting on the Treehugger list waiting for those on the list to trip up are the likes of Lucasville Valley (3-2) , Fairfield Union (3-1), Piketon (3-1) ... should be fun to watch in the next couple weeks to see where teams settle going into the 2012 portion of the 2011-12 season ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3 ...

1. Chillicothe (5-0)

2. Ironton (5-0)

3. Warren (6-0)

4. Huntington (5-0)

5. Portsmouth (3-2)

6. Logan Elm (3-1) / Chesapeake (5-1)

7. Unioto (5-0)

8. Peebles (4-0)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

Lucasville Valley (3-2)
Fairfield Union (3-1)
Piketon (3-1)
Marietta (2-2)
Vinton County (3-1)
Waverly (3-2)
Fairland (4-0)
Southern (4-0)
Manchester (3-2)
South Gallia (2-1)
Oak Hill (4-1)
Whiteoak (2-2)
Zane Trace (3-2)
Fairfield Leesburg (3-3)
Jackson (2-3)
Hillsboro (3-2)
Circleville (3-1)
Lynchburg Clay (2-2)
North Adams (3-2)
Eastern Brown (1-3)
Southeastern (2-3)
Athens (4-2)
Minford (2-2)
South Webster (2-2)
Belpre (2-2)
Westfall (1-4)
Greenfield McClain (1-3)
Gallia Academy (3-4)
Logan (0-5)
South Point (2-4)
Wahama (1-2)
Sheridan (2-2)
Eastern Pike (2-2)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (4-2)
New Lexington (3-3)
Wellston (1-2)
Federal Hocking (2-2)
Reedsville Eastern (3-1)
Paint Valley (1-4)
Waterford (0-3)
Nelsonville York (3-3)
Miami Trace (1-2)
Coal Grove (4-1)
New Boston (3-1)
Ironton St. Joe (3-2)
Portsmouth West (2-3)
Wheelersburg (1-3)
Washington CH (1-3)
Rock Hill (2-3)
Symmes Valley (2-3)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Northwest (1-4)
Portsmouth Clay (1-4)
Alexander (1-4)
Miller (1-1)
Western Pike (2-3)
Franklin Furnace Green (1-3)
West Union (0-5)
Meigs (0-7)
Adena (0-5)
Portsmouth East (0-4)
Trimble (0-6)

... I hope that this week the "pfloyd tour" continues to roam Southern/Southeastern Ohio in search of more quality high school hoops ... more great match-ups coming up before and after Christmas ... IF I can not continue to make it around the area due to my health please work on keeping those scores/napkin stats coming to the threads on SEOPreps ... I will try to follow as much as my health will let me ... I wish nothing but the best to all of the teams, the coaches, fans, and all of you here on SEOPreps ... take care all ... work in a little prayer now and again for Pfloyd this Winter ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Post by Ironman92 »

Huntington is getting the love!

Surprised you have them over Peake and LE.

It's early.....kudos on getting this done early enough.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

All 70....Nice

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hope your health is good this holiday season and beyond!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'd have Ironton St Joe at #52....you inexplicably have them at #54

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I92 ... bottom line on both LE and the Peake <= they BOTH lost this past week ... both deserved to take a hit in the rankings ... it is very early in the rankings, both will be taking on competition that WILL allow them to move back UP the list along with the Portsmouth/Warren/Chillicothe the "no love lost" triangle of games to be played in the SEOAL this season among this quality trio ... throw in a Jackson team that CAN and probably will "get" one or more of the trio later in the season ... Ironton has a couple of big time matchups in their own pre-Christmas Tourney this week ... Piketon/Huntington/Unioto will be giving each other the opportunities needed to move onto the Elite 8 list ... should be a fun season to watch unfold for sure ... Peebles will need to take care of business as they won't be meeting up with others on the ranking above them ... Lucasville Valley/Waverly HAD their opportunity early on to crack the list ( vs Ironton/Warren) ... Jackson might be a sleeper to move up the rankings ... I'm rambling now BUT as I said it should be a lot of fun this season to see the movement on the lists ... have to be smiling just thinking about the games out there yet to be played ...

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

pfloyd wrote:I92 ... bottom line on both LE and the Peake <= they BOTH lost this past week ... both deserved to take a hit in the rankings ... it is very early in the rankings, both will be taking on competition that WILL allow them to move back UP the list along with the Portsmouth/Warren/Chillicothe the "no love lost" triangle of games to be played in the SEOAL this season among this quality trio ... throw in a Jackson team that CAN and probably will "get" one or more of the trio later in the season ... Ironton has a couple of big time matchups in their own pre-Christmas Tourney this week ... Piketon/Huntington/Unioto will be giving each other the opportunities needed to move onto the Elite 8 list ... should be a fun season to watch unfold for sure ... Peebles will need to take care of business as they won't be meeting up with others on the ranking above them ... Lucasville Valley/Waverly HAD their opportunity early on to crack the list ( vs Ironton/Warren) ... Jackson might be a sleeper to move up the rankings ... I'm rambling now BUT as I said it should be a lot of fun this season to see the movement on the lists ... have to be smiling just thinking about the games out there yet to be played ...

No doubt.. Valley had Ironton down 8 in the 4th and the Tigers came back...The Indians are getting over the little nagging football injuries and getting in hoop shape. Theyre about to go on a run!! Starts 12/20 @ Wheelersburg.

Great list....and much appreciation to the attention you pay to ALL the SEO teams!

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

pfloyd wrote:I92 ... bottom line on both LE and the Peake <= they BOTH lost this past week ... both deserved to take a hit in the rankings ... it is very early in the rankings, both will be taking on competition that WILL allow them to move back UP the list along with the Portsmouth/Warren/Chillicothe the "no love lost" triangle of games to be played in the SEOAL this season among this quality trio ... throw in a Jackson team that CAN and probably will "get" one or more of the trio later in the season ... Ironton has a couple of big time matchups in their own pre-Christmas Tourney this week ... Piketon/Huntington/Unioto will be giving each other the opportunities needed to move onto the Elite 8 list ... should be a fun season to watch unfold for sure ... Peebles will need to take care of business as they won't be meeting up with others on the ranking above them ... Lucasville Valley/Waverly HAD their opportunity early on to crack the list ( vs Ironton/Warren) ... Jackson might be a sleeper to move up the rankings ... I'm rambling now BUT as I said it should be a lot of fun this season to see the movement on the lists ... have to be smiling just thinking about the games out there yet to be played ...

Peebles plays Portsmouth at Portsmouth toward the end of the season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... awesome tribemaniac10 !!! both teams will have figured out the "who's" on the floor, the "how" they best get it done at both ends of the floor THAT ONE will be fun to watch ... thanks for the heads up!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Nothing on the ISJ post pfloyd?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I92 ... I looked at it, read it smiled, faced your general direction, waved <with at least one finger> LOL !!! ...

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Peebles also plays Piketon on the last game of the season, February 18th, and the Porstmouth game is on the 7th of February.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks jchitwood ... Peebles will definitely have some challenges at the end of the season prior to the beginning of Sectional play on the Road to the Convo ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Some games to watch before we turn the calendar.

Tuesday - 3-1 Fairfield Union at 3-1 Logan Elm
Friday - Beechcroft at Logan Elm
Tuesday, December 27 - Unioto (currently 5-0) at Amanda-Clearcreek (currently 4-0)
Friday, December 30 - Fairfield Union at Chillicothe

OH IO 07
Freshman Team

Post by OH IO 07 »

Great job as always floyd.
Minor details:
Fairland 4-0
South Point 2-4

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote:... I92 ... I looked at it, read it smiled, faced your general direction, waved <with at least one finger> LOL !!! ...

atta boy!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Definitely the 1st time Unioto has ever been in the Elite 8. I remember a few years back, I had to lobby to even get them on the "End Table" and this is also 3 years removed from a 1-20 season. I'm very glad that the school board had faith in Coach Hoops to get the ship heading in the right direction.

Unioto @ Huntington tomorrow night will be a huge game. Unioto doesn't have an easy road to the new year either, with trips to 4-0 Amanda Clearcreek and Washington CH, who is down, but it's never an easy win at WCH.
Huntington finishes the year at the Wellston Holiday Tournament, which if it's set up anything like last year, it will be them vs. Wellston for the Championship(Ohio Valley and a random, small WVa school were in the field last year)
Piketon has the Pike County Classic which should feature a couple of tough games and if them and Waverly can advance, that should be a real nice, defensive game in the Championship.

Zane Trace is another tough team, who will have a real nice test when they travel to Logan Elm on the 30th. They also open 2012 travelling to Huntington in a make or break game for them in the SVC race.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I made the same comments to Floyd about Unioto danicalifornia at the Convo Saturday ... I think there might have been a few 'jabs' and 'chuckles' about their mascot/team logo as well ... lol

I HAVE SWITCHED THE OLD ELITE 8 TO STANDARD TOPIC ... AND MADE THE NEW ONE A STICKY SO EVERYONE KNOW WHERE IT IS.

(BTW) How about the Miller Falcons making it out of the cellar finally??? Man, they have held down that spot for years!!!! :mrgreen:

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

c'mon ployd. lol LE/Peake tied? i saw that game and while it was somewhat even in the first half, Logan Elm pulled away in the third by double digits. If Coach Stiverson doesnt go into prevent mode/stall ball with five minutes to go in the fourth, LE wins by 15+. As always, keep up the good work!

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Logan Elm and Chesapeake play again and Chesapeake wins a close one. Both teams at full strength, it's a different game. It was very disappointing to see that nobody for the Peake was able to fill the void.

If anyone plays a team that is in this Elite 8 without their best player...they lose. Chesapeake still wins the OVC without McMaster. They lose to Logan Elm, Ironton, Portsmouth, etc. without him. Chesapeake plays Ironton next week...if Peake is at full strength and Ironton is missing Carter or Fletcher and Peake wins, I'm not going to hop on here and talk about how Ironton is overrated. When your leader is gone, and I'm not just talking about points, it is a huge deal. Just ask Ohio State if they'd like to play Kansas again. Think the voters didn't take Sullinger into account when they only dropped the Buckeyes one spot?

Chesapeake lost, Logan Elm won. You play with the players that suit up. Fortunately, this isn't BCS football. These opinions will be replaced by won-lost records and advancements in the Districts and Regionals.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”