Pfloyd's 2015-16 Preseason Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Wffan
JV Team

Re: Pfloyd's 2015-16 Preseason Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio

Post by Wffan »

Hope my Mustangs repeat last nights performance for you Pfloyd! Safe travels!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Good choice, pfloyd.

The Panthers will try to control the tempo and if they are able to get it into a grind it out type of game, they'll have a chance. If the Mustangs are able to get it out and go, it could get ugly as they have 4 outstanding guards.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Westfall 66
Southeastern 50 final

... don't be fooled by the score - this one was a good game thru the first 2 qtrs of action ... Coach Cox & the Panthers of SE had a game plan - control the tempo ... slow down the Mustangs of Westfall - and this was to just keep close to the high energy/full court pressure /high octane style of the Westfall club ... it worked ! - for 2 quarters in the first half SE played nose to nose with WF ... the quarter breaks had Westfall leading at each 12 -10 end of 1 ... 27-23 at intermission ... Corey Wyman 14 points in the 1st half was matched by Justin Dye for the Panthers 12 points ...both teams forced 6 TO's in the first 2 periods ... each team with 2 treys apiece ...

... coming out for the 3rd quarter it was more of the same score wise with both teams trading buckets with Westfall sharing the scoring load in the quarter among Wyman (7)/Mink(3)/ Adams (4) ... the M'stangs came out in the 3rd turning up the pressure defensively trying to push the tempo ... the increased pressure shutdown SE's number one scorer in the first half Justin Dye (0 pts in the 3rd) ... the lack of scoring from Dye was offset for the first 6 minutes and 40 seconds by Tyler Carroll's 8 points in the qtr. ... Westfall called a timeout at 1:20 in the 3rd leading 35-31 ... the pressure was tweaked as SE had 3 TO's in the final 1:20 of the qtr. ... the Mustangs outscored the Panthers 8-2 down the stretch getting double digit separation for the first time in the contest ... Westfall 43 Southeastern 33 end of 3 ... the final 1:20 of the 3rd took the WF lead to 10 but even more importantly the tempo of the game changed ... SE tried to match the tempo set by WF - didn't happen ... the only thing that was increased on the SE side was fouls & TOs & frustration ... with the increased tempo came more opportunities for WF to get into the paint which then opened up the perimeter shots as well ... game, set and match as Westfall took this first SVC encounter between these two teams Westfall 66 Southeastern 50 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Southeastern ...

Scoring ... Justin Dye 21, Tyler Carroll 15, Austin Kohn 5, Ethan Smith 4, Hunter Miles 3, Aaron Benson 2

3 pointers ... 3/15 ... Justin Dye 2, Tyler Carroll 1

FT's ... 7/11

TO's ... 14

... Coach Cox had the game plan, his boys carried it out through almost 3 quarters ... even at wanting to slow down the game - from the cheap seats I could see that when SE was even MORE patient with the ball, on 2-3 possessions in that early part of the game, when they made the extra passes, didn't force it in the paint, they were able to get under control shots where they wanted on the court by the players that needed to be taking the shots - Dye/Carroll/Kohn ... AND they scored ... when the tempo picked up ... the inside game became rushed, off balance , out of control ... Coach Cox's boys are better than 0-3 ... I liked the youngsters Smith/Benson/Pettit - all 3 will add to the offense down the road this season which will only go to help get Carroll more perimeter looks and open the paint up for Dye to get to the rim ... Washington CH/Adena/ Westfall - a tough trio of games to begin the season ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Westfall ...

Scoring ... Corey Wyman 27, Chase Adams 21, Hayden Mink 11, Billy Wilson 2, Chase Anderson 2, Matt Jude 2, Austin Nunnemaker 1

3 pointers ... 4/10 ... Corey Wyman 1, Hayden Mink 1, Chase Adams 2

FT's ... 24/28

TO's ... 8

... I needed to see this Westfall team ... lots of hype in comparing how they would do vs Unioto ... the pfloyd "eye test" was a must ... guard oriented team for sure , not much size , want to and must get out and push the ball, pressure the opponent for 32 minutes, score out of transition ... Wyman/Mink/Adams are players ... Wyman handles the ball as well as anyone, a very "heady" player , he only does what he can do - doesn't force the game ... he plays the way he practices imo - meaning when he practices his shot it's from the paint extended up through the top of the key , his game is to get to those spots on the floor that he practices from - into the paint/shots into the paint from the top of the key in - a little midrange jumper, his treys that are money are from the top of the key ... Adams is quicker, takes more risks with the ball, drives the paint from anywhere/everywhere , likes the 3 ball from the foul line extended on both sides - nice ball player ... Mink will shoot the 3 ball when he is spotting up - getting his shots on drives into the paint by Wyman/Adams who kick it back out or over the top of the D ... guards/ballhandlers/pressure D/transition/not fans of the half court game would describe WF imo ...

... I saw lots of good qualities from BOTH of these clubs ... Coach Cox came up into the Cheap Seats , introduced himself , talked some hoops - thanks Coach Cox it was my pleasure to meet you tonight ... I may have come to see Westfall but I was just as impressed with what I saw in what SE can put on the floor as well ... you and I both know that that 32 minutes of pressure is tough to deal with especially with your 3 youngsters trying to get varsity experience in the form of On the Job Training vs some quality teams ... when the Mustangs finally got that 10 point separation, I could see the frustration/urgency enter into the play of your youngsters ... they'll be fine - patience takes time to develop just like shooting the three ... your SE boys are much better than the 0-3 start shows on the pocket schedule ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the committee of one - me - is half way through ranking the 71 teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... looks like a 5 pm posting of the regular season's first installment of Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio ... big movement UP the board by some teams ! while others will have to earn their BACK UP in the coming weeks ...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

It's after 5 buddy! We want, no we NEED that update! ☺

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”