Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4

Post by pfloyd »

... how did the action in the Week that Was effect the Elite 8 lineup??? with the losses we knew that there WOULD BE movement UP and DOWN the ranking of the top eight teams ...

... Here's how the Elite 8 fared in the Week that Was ...

1. Chillicothe (0-2) ... loss at home to Portsmouth 43-45 , loss #2 coming to Akron Buchtel 50-68

2. Ironton (2-0)... 2 BIG time W's at the Ironton Classic 53-48 vs Brookhaven WITH Zac Carter... 62-58 win over Brooke Point out of Virginia WITHOUT Zac Carter (injured vs Brookhaven) ... Trey Fletcher drops a 37 pt game on the Virginians (3 treys included) ... add to the I'town mix Trevor White making his first appearance with 10 points and some key boards for the Tigers ...

3. Warren (1-0) ... an SEOAL road win at Logan 70-47 ...

4. Huntington (1-0) ... a KEY win over previously undefeated Unioto 48-42 ...

5. Portsmouth (2-0) ... SEOAL road win at the Hat in Chillicothe 45-43 followed by a Scioto County grudge match vs the Burg, PHS shows the youngsters of Coach Barrick how it's done with a 63-32 Trojan "W" ...

6. Logan Elm (2-0) ... big win over MSL rival Fairfield Union 61-46 ... Christmas Eve "Eve" win over Beechcroft 67-51 ... psst psst don't tell anyone BUT the Braves have found that they DO HAVE OFFENSIVE KICK => Riffle with 26 vs BHS/sophomore Young 15/Vaginer & Pritchard are both double digit scorers as well ... rut roh!!! holding opponents to 50 ppg or less AND offensively capable of putting up over 60 ppg ... Congratulations to Coach Stiverson on getting "W" number 200 vs BHS ...

6. Chesapeake (0-0) ... BIG BIG game on the river next week vs Ironton on the road ...

7. Unioto (0-1) ... loss to Huntington HS 42-48 ...

8. Peebles (1-0) ... "W" over fellow D3 Lynchburg Clay 58-46 ...

... hoping ALL of the SEOPreps "cheap seat" folks had a wonderful Christmas AND IS READY for the last week of the 2011 portion of the 2011-12 season ... some major matchups as Ironton will be entertaining Chesapeake Dec. 30, Warren will give Fort Frye a return engagement, Waverly has the potential to meet Piketon in the Pike County Holiday Tournament with Eastern Pike looking to earn respect facing either Waverly and/or Piketon this week, Chillicothe takes on Fairfield Union Dec.30 , Logan Elm hosts Zane Trace on Friday the 30th as well ... Here's how the committee of one - me - saw the rankings play out after the Week Before Christmas action ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4 ...

1. Ironton (7-0)

2. Warren (7-0)

3. Portsmouth (5-2)

4. Logan Elm (5-1)/Huntington (6-0)

5. Chesapeake (5-1)

6. Chillicothe (5-2)

7. Peebles (5-0)

8. Unioto (5-1)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

(4-2) Lucasville Valley
(4-1) Piketon
(4-2) Fairfield Union
(5-1) Vinton County
(4-2) Waverly
(3-3) Marietta
(4-1) South Gallia
(6-1) Oak Hill
(5-1) Fairland
(6-2) Hillsboro
(4-2) Manchester
(3-3) Jackson
(5-1) Circleville
(3-3) Lynchburg Clay
(4-2) Athens
(3-2) Minford
(4-4) Fairfield Leesburg
(4-2) North Adams
(3-3) Southeastern
(2-3) South Webster
(4-1) Eastern Reedsville
(4-1) Southern
(3-2) Belpre
(2-4) Whiteoak
(3-3) Zane Trace
(1-4) Eastern Brown
(1-6) Westfall
(1-4) Greenfield McClain
(4-3) New Lexington
(2-4) South Point
(3-5) Gallia Academy
(2-3) Sheridan
(3-2) Eastern Pike
(5-2) Portsmouth Notre Dame
(1-3) Wahama
(2-2) Wellston
(0-6) Logan
(4-3) Nelsonville York
(3-3) Federal Hocking
(2-5) Paint Valley
(5-1) Coal Grove
(2-4) Washington CH
(3-2) New Boston
(3-2) Ironton St. Joe
(2-4) Portsmouth West
(1-5) Wheelersburg
(1-4) Miami Trace
(2-4) Rock Hill
(3-4) Symmes Valley

... Teams on the End Table ...

(0-4) Waterford
(1-5) Northwest
(1-5) Portsmouth Clay
(1-5) Alexander
(1-2) Miller
(2-3) Western Pike
(1-4) Franklin Furnace Green
(0-5) West Union
(0-8) Meigs
(0-6) Adena
(0-4) Portsmouth East
(0-7) Trimble

... as always - check the records - let me know of any that need changed<= it will be done ... IF there are any major discrepancies as to where a team is ranked <= don't hold back give me reason to consider moves up or down the rankings ... support your issues and the committee will listen ... no support? <= not so much listening will be happening ...

jgordon0315
JV Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4

Post by jgordon0315 »

Great as always Floyd.......as far as the teams I'm familiar with....this is very accurate!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Looks good!

I still don't believe Huntington over Peake....but understand.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I92 ! was looking at the weekly number of hits that the Elite 8 thread gets here on SEOPreps "almost 4,000 hits per week" - sure is a big difference from being stuck in a "polls only" thread on "that other channel" ... Thanks goes to you AND ALL OF THE HOOPS FANS who follow/read/contribute to the Elite 8 thread every week - you folks ARE knowledgable of both the game and Southern/SouthEast Ohio hoops ... makes me smile every week reading the input from the "cheap seat" fans ... great stuff ...

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

Pfloyd I like your top 8 but I don't agree with your D4 picks. You have South Gallia as your number 1 after Southern handled them on their home court. I agree with Manchester up there and I also like a battled tested South Webster. I agree Southern deserved to drop after a loss but not that far. This was a rival game on the visiting floor where they blew a big 4th quarter lead and finished the game with 4 starters on the bench. I guess we will see what happens as the season goes on. Pfloyd I hope everything goes well with your health. I hope to meet you sometime, I think I would really enjoy talking high school basketball with you. As always I enjoy your polls and a little debate. I am also proud of my pick at the beginning of the year saying Circleville would be improved, I think they have already matched their win total from last year. I also look for Waverly to move up into the top 8 before the season is over. Pfloyd what is your game of the week?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Grinder- so far you've made me look dumb on my criticism of your Circlevile prediction, I'll gladly give you credit there. They are only a bucket away from being unbeaten. I was shocked at how closely MT played them, but a win is a win is a win.

Pfloyd- Looks good as usual, glad to see The U stay in, even with the tough loss in the Huntington Hills on Tuesday. They have another tough road game Tuesday, at (5-1) Amanda Clearcreek. Amanda has 0 depth, but have a very good starting 5 and are actually bigger in every starter matchup than Unioto.

Huntington may not be there in the end, but they deserve where they are for now. Wins over Vinton County, Piketon, and Unioto(for all of their only losses) but, we'll see how they do on the road. All of those were either at home or on a neutral court. They have big runs in them, so any lead or momentum swing is not going to overwhelm them. They go to the Wellston. Holiday Classic this week, they won it last year and can hopefully do it again.

Kudos to Coach Wolfe and the Paint Valley Bearcats as well. Took two absolute beatings last weekend, then come back and beat Zane Trace(@ZT) and then having only a Ryan Chesser buzzer beater keep them from shocking Vinton County. They go to the Lynchburg Holiday Tournament this week and hopefully can get a couple wins.

And get those health issues taken care of pfloyd! Keep doing what you're doing with the games, but don't sacrifice your health for it. Its going to be a great March at the Convo, so if you can rest up til then, I think it will be worth it.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Topic is now a sticky ...

FLOYD ... 2 things: Is it a top 8 or top 9 buddy? Seems to me your 'fudging' the rules a little on that Huntington/Logan Elm deal ... :mrgreen:

(2) The Miller Falcons (after my in depth scouting report and endorsement) should be moved off the end table and on to the Tree Huger list!!! Come on Floyd ... Give the boys from Corning or Hemlock some love man.

South Gallia - 77
Symmes Valley - 50 (The Vikings got a spot on the Tree Huger list?)

South Gallia - 59
Miller - 50 (The Falcons did not?)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Miller only played 3 games?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Yea, they play an odd schedule I92 ... They will catch up with three games this week ... @ Crooksville, @ berne Union and @ Belpre.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Grinder ... the Southern "ranking" or drop in the rankings had more to do with "who" they lost too - Reedsville Eastern ... one of those situations where the committee of one - me- is NOT sold on Eastern Reedsville (yet) however they did get the "W" over Southern ... didn't want to move Eastern ALL the way up in the rankings so Southern took the hit with their drop in the rankings ( as is ALWAYS the case - the TEAMS will always rise to where they belong in the standings) ...

... will just have to see what the docs decide to do as far as my health goes ... I hope that I am able to make the Convo in March ... until then I am taking in as much as I can in the time I have left - it's what I do ... it's how I keep my mind off of "things" ... in a way I suppose I will be starting my own "Road to the Convo" in a week or so ...

93dog! MIller is definitely on the radar ... another "W" or good outing has the Purple & Black on the march or at least "walking" in the right direction ... IF the Falcons can climb off the End Table it would be a first ever appearance on the Treehugger Wannabe list for the Miller boyz ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

One trip to Corning and you will be sold Floyd ... Check out the pics on their team page (especially of the gymnasium) ... http://trivalleyconference.com/Miller.html

ALL THE PURPLE IS WORTH A SPOT ON THE TREE HUGER LIST!

lol

BTW ... The Falcons record the two previous seasons before this one?

How about 2-40!

One win and 20 losses (including tournament loss) in 2009/2010.
One win and 20 losses in 2010/2011.

Ouch!

Tim Hardaway Jr.
JV Team

Post by Tim Hardaway Jr. »

Marietta plays at Belpre and home against New Philly this week. Could be two good wins for them, hope you can make it to one of the games PFloyd!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Once again great job Floyd......praying for your health over here in the mountains of the East coast,I understand after the two losses Chilli taking a hit, but before the season is over they will be a top three team if not at the top.......and here come The Trojans

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Menu of games for the The Week that IS ... I "borrowed" from daniC (okay I stole it !!!!- I confess!!!) ...

12-27
Unioto(5-1) @ Amanda Clearcreek(5-1)

12-28
Logan Elm(5-1) @ Westfall(1-6)

12-29
Adena(0-6) @ McClain(1-4)

12-30
Unioto @ Washington CH(2-4)
Zane Trace(3-3) @ Logan Elm
Westfall @ Circleville(5-1)
Fairfield Union(4-2) @ Chillicothe(5-2)

Wellston Holiday Tournament is the 28/29
Lynchburg Clay Holiday Tournament is the 29/30
Pike County Holiday Classic is the 29/30
Adams County Holiday Tournament is the 27-30, Boys/Girls varsity games each night

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 93bulldog contributed the following on my "borrowing" spree to this weeks menu ...

Dec. 27th

Athens
Jackson

Vinton County
Southeastern

Wellston
O.V.C

Alexander
Federal Hocking

Miller
Crooksville

Dec. 28th

Nelsonville-York
River Valley

South Gallia
Trimble

Belpre
Marietta

Wahama
Wirt Co. tourn.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... Here is a great trivia question for ya!

I had to dig, dig and dig deep for the answer myslef (lucky I don't throw anything away here in the 'TVC dungeon'.

QUESTION: The Miller Falcons are 2-40 over the past two seasons prior to this one ... Name the two schools Miller beat (one last year and one in 2009/2010. (Its two different teams)

Nobody help please - Floyd has to at least guess first ... :mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... more on the Menu for the Week that IS ...

Tuesday 27th

Jackson vs
Athens

Wheelersburg @
Fairland

Gallia Academy @
Pt. Pleasant

Wednesday 28th

Chillicothe vs
Eastmoor Academy

Franklin Furnace Green
@ Pike County Tournament (KY)
Pike County Central (KY)

Portsmouth vs
Cincinnatti Prep Academy

Thursday Dec 29

Valley vs
Portsmouth Clay

Waverly vs
Western Pike (Pike Co. Tournament, Waverly OH downtown gym)

Northwest @
New Boston

Eastern Pike vs
Piketon (Pike County Tourney, Waverly Ohio, downtown gym)

Friday Dec.30th

Pike County Tournament Championship

Eastern Pike/Waverly vs
Western Pike/Piketon

Chillicothe vs
Fairfield Union

Logan vs
Vinton County

Ironton vs
Chesapeake

Oak Hill vs
Rock Hill

Portsmouth vs
Russell KY

Warren @
Fort Frye

Minford vs
FF Green

Portsmouth East vs
Rose Hill Christain Academy KY

Portsmouth ND vs
Ironton St Joe

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

DEC 29TH GAMES TOO FLOYD (Kind of odd for teams to be playing on Thursday - but they are)

Wellston plays its second game in the 'Big Blue Classic' - (T.B.A)
Miller @ Berne Union
Wahama @ Wirt Co. tourn. (T.B.A. vs either Williamstown or Wirt County)

* The Wahama first game on the 28th is against Charleston Catholic.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... THAT is a good Trivia Question !!! considering Miller with it's record never hit the committee of one -me - radar screen for either season ! Mrs. Floyd is SOOOOO ticked off as I pulled out ALL of the Napkin Stats I could find ... I have Miller beating Crookesville last year 60-57 BUT I couldn't find a "W" for the Falcons in the prior year ... saw wear Eastern thumped on Miller 60-11??? or so - did the Purple & Black play in any biddy ball tourney's 2 years ago that they might have picked up a win???? ... you got me on the 2 years ago "W" for Miller ...seems like it was a win in the last game of the season or something maybe vs Trimble??? Alexander??? ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I thought it was Fed Hock

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”