Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #7

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #7

Post by pfloyd »

... What a great "Week that Was" in high school basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line !!! had the opportunity to take in 7 varsity games this past week ... ran into MANY friends from SEOPs along the way - the Portsmouth contingent, the Man Row, trojandave was spared an overnighter in the Logan jail - "THIS TIME" LOL ... spent a GREAT day/evening at the Beast of the SouthEast in Chesapeake - 5 games/10 teams - loved it !!! ... "What is it that REALLY makes SEOPs, hoops in Southern Ohio the BEST show around?" ... by choice I am one who travels all over Southern/Southeast Ohio to watch boys high school hoops, in doing so I HAVE figured out what is so special about high school hoops Below the Line - It's the PEOPLE ... the people I have crossed paths with in the time I have been on SEOPs ... the school personnel, scorekeepers, ticket takers, concession stand folks, parents, coaches, assistant coaches, players ... the PEOPLE ... they are passionate about their teams, school, players, coaches - all of these people will/do support their "kids" 100% no matter the record ... I can't tell you how much the friendships have meant - I have had such great support from the people here on SEOPs, the people in every single gymnasium I walk into have shown their caring/support for me as well - I thank every single one of you ... gives me strength to keep doing what I love to do - watching/supporting high school basketball in Southern Ohio... in doing so, it has taken my mind off of "my health" and given me strength ... it is amazing the people who have wished me well, shook my hand, kept me in their thoughts/prayers - IF God wasn't a high school basketball fan HE is now !!! ... PEOPLE ... from Peebles, Portsmouth, Ironton, Fairland, Chesapeake, South Gallia, Gallipolis and Gallia Academy, Jackson, Alexander, Vinton County, Athens, Stewart (Federal Hocking), Barlow (Warren Local), Marietta - ALL have welcomed the Purple Hippo/Pfloyd over the season ... thinking about ALL of the PEOPLE puts a smile on my face, makes me "stick with the game plan" - beat this disease called Cancer ... PEOPLE - a great medicine ... thank you all ...

... with no further "babbling" on my part - here is the Pfloyd Elite 8 in Southern/Southeast Ohio for Week #7 ... Ironton lost to one of those "foreign" teams ( was the Fighting Tigers taking on 3 straight out of state teams over the last 2 weeks) - losing to GreenUp KY 57-62 before making things right beating Spring Valley WVa 62-42 ... Logan Elm lost to #1 in the AP Div.3 rankings Bloom Carroll 50-62 to go 0-1 on the week ... Huntington dropped it's 3rd game of the season losing to Southeastern Ross 52-53 ... SHL Peebles lost to Southeastern Ross as well 39-41 ... hmmm looks like Southeastern singlehandedly decided to drop some "L's" on the bad side of a couple of Elite 8 teams handy dandy pocket schedules going 2-0 vs the Elite 8 in one week ... Unioto finished the week at 1-1 beating hapless Adena 56-41 before losing to Greenfield McClain 39-49, the Shermans suffering their 3rd loss of the season ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #7 ...

1. Chesapeake (10-1)

2. Chillicothe (9-3)/Warren (9-1)/Portsmouth (11-2)

3. Ironton (10-2)

4. Lucasville Valley (10-2)

5. Logan Elm (8-2)

6. Waverly (10-2)

7. Fairland (10-2)

8. Hillsboro (8-3)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

(8-3) Southeastern Ross
(9-3) Huntington Ross
(8-2) Peebles
(8-3) Unioto
(7-4) Fairfield Union
(8-2) Circleville
(5-4) Eastern Brown
(9-1) Southern
(8-4) Manchester
(8-3) Oak Hill
(7-4) Piketon
(8-3) Minford
(7-5) Vinton County
(7-3) Belpre
(6-3) South Gallia
(6-5) Marietta
(5-5) Jackson
(4-5) South Webster
(4-7) Whiteoak
(6-5) Lynchburg Clay
(6-5) Fairfield Leesburg
(6-4) Sheridan
(5-4) North Adams
(5-2) Wellston
(9-2) Portsmouth Notre Dame
(7-3) Eastern Pike
(4-8) Greenfield McClain
(7-4) Nelsonville York
(4-6) Zane Trace
(5-7) Athens
(5-5) Federal Hocking
(9-3) Coal Grove
(6-6) South Point
(4-6) New Lexington
(5-5) Miami Trace
(5-6) Washington CH
(5-5) Symmes Valley
(5-3) New Boston
(3-5) Waterford
(3-9) Westfall
(2-9) Paint Valley
(2-8) Logan
(3-6) Miller
(4-6) Crooksville
(6-5) St. Joseph
(3-6) Wahama
(4-4) Reedsville Eastern
(3-9) Gallia Academy
(3-7) Portsmouth West
(3-7) Rock Hill
(1-9) Wheelersburg
(2-8) Alexander

... Teams on the End Table ...

(1-6) Portsmouth East
(2-9) Western Pike
(2-8) Franklin Furnace Green
(1-10) Trimble
(1-9) Northwest
(0-10) West Union
(1-9) River Valley
(1-9) Portsmouth Clay
(0-12) Meigs
(0-10) Adena

... as always, look over the records of the teams listed, notify me of any records changes that need to be made - it will be done ... with the snow on Friday games were cancelled, some made up , some not (yet) ... keep us all informed ... everyone have a great week of basketball ... and finally a BIG thank you goes out to ALL of the folks in Chesapeake that put on another excellent day of hoops for the Beast of the Southeast Invitational ... made myself and Mrs. Pfloyd more than welcome ALL day made the 100 mile trek down and 100 miles back worth the drive - thank you so much ... looking forward to seeing many of you great people down the road this season and next season in January for the 4th Annual Beast of the SouthEast Invite ... Coach Davis - thank you ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #7

Post by danicalifornia »

Can't make an argument for Huntington or Unioto to stay in and I like the jump Southeastern has made. Unioto will get healthy and have a chance to make a return by playing much better. I am happy that they have made it through this 3 game stretch with a winning record. Murray and Detillion should be back and healthy for Westfall/Southeastern next weekend. Huntington has just got to pull together some wins on the road, as they are amazing at home.

FHSstudentsection
Freshman Team

Post by FHSstudentsection »

glad fhs has made it to he elite. they deserve it

buckingred67
Waterboy

Post by buckingred67 »

Pfloyd sorry I missed you yet again Saturday but my daughter was leaving to go back for her last semester of college. Glad to see the dragons crack the elite 8. I think that is the first time ever in the elite 8. Keeping you in prayers and wish to see you at the convo. Good luck and good health my
friend .

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

ttt

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Looks good. Hillsboro doesn't seem quite as tough as the other "new additions".....

I think Portsmouth and Chilly are playing a smidge better than Warren right now, but it'll all play out.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Wow ... I'm impressed Floyd ... It appears to me you got the TVC teams spot on buddy ... Right place, right order - what the heck got into you this week?

Now - you know its coming eventually, so brace youself - there will be an argument brewing for Southern to be in the top 8 as the season goes down the stretch ... lol ... Its going to be the classic BCS vs BOISE STATE debate ... Does Southern, a DIV team, deserve to be ranked amongst the big boys? Have they played a tough enough schedule, etc...etc... On one side will have Pfloyd, the evil big school administrator, the corporate conglomerate or lets just call him 'The Man' trying to keep the 'little guy' down ... On the other side, 93Dog will try and speak up for all the little folks in rural southeastern Ohio, the tiny schools with just 94 boys roaming the halls, all the hard working middle class people who are tired of having their teams disrespected and overlooked by the writers and poll voters ... lol

Well, its only week 7 Floyd - there is plenty of time to ease the Torndoes up the rankings so they can pounce on that No. 8 spot around tournament time.

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

I think Warren's issue will be remedied very soon....NOT PLAYING GAMES has gotten them a tad out of cync....last 4 games 12/20, 12/30, 1/6, and 1/13....the last 2 games they were down double digits in the first quarter before they stopped sputtering and started firing.....starting 1/13 they play 6 games over 14 days!!....the boys unanimously agree it is a lot more fun to play games than to practice with Maddox and Duck....they will get on a roll now!! Tues night Marietta, then Gallia, then Ft Frye, then Belpre, then Portsmouth!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

MSL games to watch this week

Tuesday - 8-2 Logan Elm at 8-2 Circleville, game will be played at Mill Street Gym
Friday - 8-2 Circleville at 11-0 Bloom-Carroll
7-4 Amanda at 8-2 Logan Elm
5-7 Canal Winchester at 7-4 Fairfield Union

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Big Rivalry Tuesday at Rio...Wellston vs Jackson

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Wellston at (5-2) is still kind of their sleeping on everyone ... They havn't even played a true home game yet ... That rivalry game you speak of I92 could really pay off for the Golden Rockets if they can pull out a win. They still have Vinton County at home (later in the season), Athens at home on Friday - then they could really make a huge statement if they were able to win @ Southern on saturday.

(A win over Jackson, Athens and Southern - plus the win over Huntington - could possibly push a Wellston team that would be 8-2 into at least a top 10 or top 12 spot.)

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Ironton comes to town, hopefully the Trojans can even this one up and set up a rubber match in the tourney.
Seems to me the dog is setting up an "occupy the elite 8 " movement!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I can "ALWAYS" count on 93dog to hit me with the "TVC Spin" LOL ... are you sure you aren't running the Obama election campaign this year???? LOL ... It's simple 93dog - the key to rising to the top is "winning" ... yes the D4 teams inherently start out in a handicapped position due to the majority of their schedule (for most D4 teams in Southern Ohio) being vs other D4's who aren't going to get them a look from those who rank the teams ... Portsmouth Notre Dame is fighting this situation right now - the Titans are at 9-2 fighting to climb the Tree Hugger Wannabe List ... on the positive side ND played at the Convo before Christmas- I had the opportunity to SEE them firsthand - SEEING a TEAM "in-person" no matter who they play on their schedule is THE way for the smaller division schools to climb in the rankings ...

... Southern has "played" into their current position - they have taken care of "bidness" on the court ... we are now getting to the time in the ranking season when the "early" wins/losses lose a little of their appeal to the committee because those W's/L's WERE EARLY - Lucasville Valley - the Indians lost early to Zane Trace and Ironton (at the time Valley players were coming straight from the football playoffs to the hardwood) ... NOW - the football pads are gone, basketball condition back - the Indians are playing like the TEAM I had perceived them to be in the Pre-Season => an Elite 8 team ... BUT Valley had to wait their time to show me on the court they are playing where they should be - I could have just camped them in the Elite 8 but I couldn't do that and have any credibility ... Huntington, Peebles, Unioto all dropped out this week due to losses in the last 2 weeks BUT ALL are in position to get back into the Elite 8 ... Unioto has dropped out BUT I KNOW the reason why - injuries to 2 key starters ( starting PG Murray and the BIG MAN in the middle Detillion) ...

... gotta love High School Hoops 93dog !!! ... no matter what criteria is used to rank teams - it STILL comes down to winning on the court ... the TEAMS that deserve to be there at the END will have proven themselves vs their competition ... how their schedule/their league/non-league games stack up vs the other 71 teams in this quarter of the state will dictate where exactly they deserve to finish ranked against these 71 teams for the season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... LetsGoPSU ... I thought the exact same thing !!! "OE8" ... the only problem with that is this "keeper of the Elite 8" won't let the "OE8" set up camp, won't give 'em blankets, tents, concession stand food, porta potty privileges, etc. I WILL send the "OE8" directly to the End Table ;-)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wellston will have a favorable seed regardless of their outcomes this week. They should advance out of the Athens sectional and onto the districts when that time comes. Not sure how the brackets work out but could face a 2 or 3 seed from Waverly and hang tight......if htey advance to face a Jackson sectional team.....well 25+ point loss in the districts.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Beast of the Southeast Wrap-up from this past weekends action ...

... the unquestionable winner(s) of the day at the Beast of the Southeast : ANYONE who had Mrs. Hintz's "Filipino Pancit Noodle" dish in the Hospitality Room!!! delicious !!! ... Great day of hoops! even better day of socializing with a great basketball "town" - the people of Chesapeake, Ohio ... the 1 day event gets better every year with this being year number 3 for the annual event - a great celebration of boys high school basketball ... Mrs. Pfloyd and myself, felt right at home among the "purple people" , so many people introducing themselves, extending their hand, opening up - SEOPsters, parents players past and present, coaches, assistant coaches, school employees ... all I can say is a very heartfelt - thank you ... I was very humbled by the experience - great food, great basketball, great people <= The Beast of the Southeast ...

... oh yeh, there was basketball happening ALL day as well LOL ... I missed the first 6 1/2 minutes of the opening game between Lucasville Valley and South Point ... by the time I got settled in the Cheap Seats Valley had staked themselves to a 15-2 lead finishing out the quarter 6-4 LVHS ... Valley 21 South Point 6 end of one ... game, set and match Lucasville Valley 71 South Point 44 final ... I'm not sure who the pundit was who said "size doesn't matter"??? - I'm thinking Coach Barnes - SP head man- begs to differ as his pointers were outsized across the board - the Indians of Valley SHORTEST player in the starting lineup is PG Blake Yates 6-3 while SP's tallest starter stood at 6-1 ... size does matter ... the Pointers were stuck in the "one shot and done" mode as the inside size of Lucasville kept any Pointer chance of making a run on the back burner while making the "shoot 'til you make it" a common theme for the Indians at the offensive end ( oh by the way THAT didn't need to happen much with the assists at At the Rim by Blake Yates for Valley - "one and IN" was the norm for Lucasville) ... Valley looks like they have made the full transition to hoops from the gridiron ... which by the way except for a couple of early season losses when Valley was coming literally "straight" from the state football playoffs to the hardwood ( Zane Trace, Ironton 50-53) might have these Indians sitting near the top of the Elite 8 ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - South Point ...

Scoring : Brandon Barnes 23, Austin Jeffreys 10, Kurt Adams 7, Austin Majher 3

3 pointers : 6/21 ... Jeffreys 3, Barnes 2, Adams 1 ...

FTs : 15/22

TOs : 16

ATR : 3 baskets

Transition (T) : 0

PB (Put Back Baskets) : 0

...Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Lucasville Valley ...

Scoring : Blake Yates 16, Rob Dwyer 11, Hayden Dunn 9, Jordan West 9, Patrick Riehl 8, Curt Crabtree 6, Chris Flowers 6, Luke Keller 5, Will Howard 1 ...

3 Pointers : 5/14 ... Yates 2, Flowers 2, West 1

FT's : 16/26

TO's : 17

ATR : 10

T : 1

Put Back Baskets : 7

... more from the BoftheSE ... game #2 Athens vs Waverly ...

... Waverly came into the game breathing the rare air of the Elite 8 for the first time this season ... Kretzer & Co. coming off wins over South Webster (58-48) and Northwest (68-39) in the Week that Is brought a "patient" offensive look , stifling defensive pressure from the 2nd quarter on turn away TVC representative Athens ... Athens made a game of it in the 1st quarter as the Bulldog Freshmen duo of Luehrman/Burrow accounted for 10 of 12 AHS points while the Tigers struck from deep with treys from Kelly/White/Kretzer ...Waverly 13 Athens 12 end of one ... Seems like ALL of the upper tier teams have a 2nd gear - that 2nd gear almost ALWAYS comes from turning up the heat at the defensive end, creating offense from the defensive end <= Waverly has that 2nd gear, a half court trapping D, spearheaded with Jake Kretzer out front - forced 6 Athens TOs in the quarter/ 2 quick transition baskets ... Defensive pressure turned a tight 1 point game into a 34-22 Waverly lead going into intermission ... half number two was ALL Tigers as the WHS defense held Athens to 17 points ... Waverly 60 Athens 39 final

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring : Joey Burrow 16, Ryan Luehrman 7, Kramer Simmons 6, Jared Elmore 4, Nick Stanley/Josh Skinner 2 each

3 Pointers: 3/14 ... Burrow 3

FTs : 8/11

TOs : 12

ATR : 5

T: 0

... Pfloyd's Official/UNOfficial Napkin Stats - Waverly ...

Scoring : Jake Kretzer 26, Devin Kelly 13, Phillip Hart 10, Jean Paul White 8, Taylor Ward 3

3 Pointers : 9/21 ... Kelly 3, White 2, Hart 2, Kretzer 2 ... 4 different players with at least 2 treys for the game - nice ...

FTs : 3/4

TOs : 8

ATR : 10 baskets

T: 3

... I jotted down a few notes on Waverly - patience on the offensive end, take care of the ball : WHS gets "shots on goal" only 8 TOs, defensive intensity ... NOT a deep bench ... I've seen Waverly 3 times - each time I've seen improvement in a different phase of the game each time ... not sure I'd want to play these Tigers in the post season ...

... more coming Game #3 ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Game #3 was one of THE games I want to see Saturday afternoon ... I had put the Eastern Brown Warriors of Coach Beucler in my Pre-Season Elite 8 ... I have a great deal of respect for the "coaching/teaching" component that Coach Beucler brings to his "program", last season I felt the only part of the EB game that was missing was at the offensive end ... great defense, fundamentally sound at both ends of the floor AND Coach Beucler teams/the players LEARN/KNOW how to play their position and the game of basketball - this ALL added up to a big season for the Warriors this year BUT (and there is always a BUT) injuries (Chase Lawson) have kept THE EB TEAM off the court UNTIL the last 2 weeks -hmmmmm so happens that Eastern Brown is now playing the best hoops West of Rt. 23 ... Saturday afternoon Coach Beucler brought his EB boyz East of Rt.23 to take on the Vinton County Vikings of Coach Combs ... put the teams on the court and you "got" a very good high school basketball game ...

... "I got" what I perceived I would get at the beginning of the season out of Eastern Brown ... THE team I envisioned showed up - great patience on offense, solid ball movement, picking/cutting offense, Coach Beucler is probably one of the few coaches in high school basketball in the "age of the 3 ball" who teachers/runs his offense to get the "open mid range/2 point shot" !!! great to watch a TEAM with solid passing skills, ball movement that works to get the shots THEY WANT - not just what they can get -but what THEY WANT at the offensive end of the floor ... of course I'm a little strange when I analyze a basketball team - I look for the athletes in warm ups - the shooting form, foot work, hands (catching ability) - I also look at what do the coaches have the players doing in warmups? - Coach Beucler has the EB boyz doing "passing drills" - bounce passes, overhead passes etc. - in my little mind seeing how a team passes the ball (a fundamental) tells me where the fundamentals of the game lie on the priority list of the program ... Coach Beucler? fundamentals ARE a top priority ... goes from bounce passes, to sound rebounding position, how the players protect the ball under pressure, strong positions in the paint on the offensive end ... BOTTOM LINE - EB now has the pieces in place to be a MAJOR threat in the post season and will play a big role in the outcome of the SHL in the second half of the reg season ... (hmmmmm can you tell I'm very high on both Coach Beucler and Eastern Brown???) ... Eastern Brown 56 Vinton County 43 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Vinton County ...

Scoring : Jordan Kidd 15, Bryce Owings 13, Ryan Chesser 5, LB Remy 4, #5 3 pts, A. Owings 1, Holsinger 2

3 pointers : 3/16 ... Kidd 2, #5 off the bench 1

FTs : 10/24

TOs : 14

ATR : 8

T : only 2 ... with the VC lack of inside size the offense they get or don't get out of their defense is important, when they don't get it the Vikings struggle 2 transition buckets puts the pressure on the VC perimeter game ...

... Coach Combs didn't have the services of starting PG Matt Smallwood in this one ... Ryan Chesser being held to but 4 points by EB was a key in the VC loss imo ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Eastern Brown ...

Scoring : Jordan Payne 18, Chase Lawson 15, Nathan Scott 8, Conner Purdin 6, Josh Boudreau 5, Riley Prine 4

3 pointers : 4/9 ... Payne 3, Lawson 1

FTs : 12/14

TOs : 18 ... 13 in the first half/only 5 in the last 2 quarters/only 1 in the 4th quarter ...

ATR : 5 baskets ...

T: 2

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Game #4 ... Fairland vs South Webster ... I had seen the Dragons of Fairland vs Alexander during the holiday season - came away with the view that FHS has a very nice ball club - big man who PLAYS as a post player (6-5 Evan Salyers) ... a PG who can get the ball up court under pressure, distribute the ball, play tough perimeter, on the ball defense (freshman Nathan Campbell), good supporting cast of players who know their roles (Evan Maddox, Blaine Fuller, Eric Riley) ... a bench which can give some good minutes when needed (Ryan Wooten, Cody Midkiff) ...put it all together with a coaching staff which emphasizes the importance of "fundamentally sound" defense, patience on the offensive end, ball movement - you get a winner ... FHS has not disappointed - after seeing them for the 2nd time I come away with more positive impressions of the Dragons ... ANOTHER one of those ball clubs that I would not want to play at any point in the post season ...

... my first look at the South Webster Jeeps this season ... played solid basketball at both ends of the floor for 2 quarters as they forced quarter breaks of Fairland 17 So. Webster 15 after one followed up with another even quarter of play by both teams Fairland 32 vs South Webster 30 going into intermission ... as is always the case - the good ones turn things UP a notch at both ends of the floor at some point, they find that second gear ... Fairland tightened the defensive screws in half number 2 forcing the Jeeps into 11 TOs, allowing SW but 4 fgs in the both the 3rd/4th periods COMBINED , allowed only 13 second half points by SW ... start the buses Fairland 68 vs South Webster 43 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - South Webster ...

Scoring : Austin Loop 17, Lance Swords 7, Seth Goddard 6, Jensen Dyer 4, #5 4 points (not in the program), David Sutton 3, Levi Cook 2

3 pointers : 2/10 ... Loop 2

FTs : 15/18

TOs : 18

ATR : 5 baskets

T : 2

... South Webster looked to be blindsided by a "machine" at both ends of the floor in Fairland ... a "solid" TEAM in the Dragons which never let up the pressure at either end of the floor ... when you have a BIG (6-5), WIDE (230-50), ATHLETIC TRUE POST PLAYER WHO SCORES IN THE PAINT & CAN HIT THE 10-12 FOOTER as Fairland has in Evan Salyers FHS rarely goes long stretches without scoring - lots to like about the Green/White Dragons of Fairland ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Fairland ...

Scoring : Evan Salyers 25, Evan Maddox 17, Blaine Fuller 11, Eric Riley 7, Cody Mdkiff 5, Nathan Campbell 3

3 Pointers : 4/6 ... Maddox 3, Midkiff 1

FTs : 20/26

TOs : 6 ... the Green/White take care of the ball - nice stat

T: 1

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the Finale' of a great day of high school basketball - the home town Chesapeake Panthers vs Russell KY Red Devils ... the ONLY way to cap off the day was to have the host TEAM from Chesapeake knock off the "foreign" squad from across the river - yea when you are the host you can write the "story book ending" ... Chesapeake 75 vs Russell KY 48 a final ...

... Chesapeake Panthers = Patrick Hintz (yep, his mom makes the Pancit Noodle dish I gained 3 lbs eating), Eric Kennedy, Jason Thompson, Austin McMaster, Brandon Noble , Austin Meadows = TEAM ... Russell kept this one close in the first half not because of what they were doing but due to poor perimeter shooting by the Panthers - the 'Peake had GOOD looks but nothing was falling, even on drives to the rim the ball was taking those extra rolls OFF the rim <= Peake was 1/8 from behind the arc in the first 2 qtrs ... 4 TOs ... 2/3 FTs BUT when good TEAMS aren't hitting from outside they take the ball to the rim - CHS picked up 7 baskets ATR (at the rim) in the first half of action ... Chesapeake 25 vs Russell 21 at intermission ... My guess is that Coach Davis had the "lid taken off of the basket at the 'peake end of the floor" in the 2nd half - wow!!! Two things happened after intermission 1) the Panther defensive pressure was turned on "High" - which forced 5 RHS turnovers but the biggest side effect is that it turned up the tempo of the game, the tempo increased=> the Russell offense took quickER shots=>2) the Chesapeake offense was more in rhythm - 7/11 from behind the arc = 50 points in the second half (hmmmm that foreign team got 48 for the game) = WIN ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Russell KY...

Scoring : Kyle Skaggs 21, Bailey 8, Parsley 6, Tackett 5, Dehoff 3, Smith 2, Couchot 2, Hayes 1

3 Pointers : 2/12 ... Skaggs 1, Tackett 1

FTs : 10/15

TOs : 13

T : 1

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Chesapeake ...

Scoring : Austin McMaster 23, Javon Thompson 18, Patrick Hintz 13, Eric Kennedy 10, Brandon Noble 9, Chad Meadows 2

3 Pointers : 8/19 ... Thompson 4, Hintz 2, McMaster 2 ... 7/11 after intermission ...

FTs : 7/10

TOs : 7

ATR : 12 baskets

T: 5

... Coach Davis' Chesapeake TEAM showed why they are a solid performing TEAM every game - 32 minutes of non-stop play at both ends of the floor ... the 'peake has got to be one of the BEST conditioned teams anywhere ... Austin McMaster gets his points in the flow of the offense - knows how to get to the rim and does, his outside threat to score the 3 opens up the driving lanes, while his length allows him to post up inside ... Patrick Hintz is that "offensive player" who will get his 9/10 points out of what the defense gives him, if the defense sags to double up on McMaster - Hintz makes them pay ... Javon Thompson is the ALL AROUND athlete at both ends - great perimeter/on the ball D along with Hintz while being the Panthers #2 option at the offensive end ... Eric Kennedy is a double digit threat from the perimeter, while again giving the Panthers inside length to get those all important ATR points ... Brandon Noble might just be that ultimate role player - great defense, physical in the paint, hits the boards hard, starts the transition offense AND can get you that double double nightly ... the key to the Panthers is that everything they do - offensively/defensively- they do for the entire 32 minutes, no let down, while keeping enough in the tank to "turn it up" defensively - that second gear that ALL of the good teams have on the defensive end ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Obama did in fact ask me Floyd ... Told him the Southern Tornadoes had already retained my services though ... I know I have my work cut out for me, convincing you (the wolf dressed in sheeps clothing - the giant oil tycoon posing as a tree-hugin liberal) that the tiny school from Racine will be deserving of a spot amongst the big boys eventually ... Wellston needs to take down Jackson, then Athens - which would give Southern another chance at beating a 'quality' opponent ... The TVC Hocking is so limited in what they can do - a win over a (7-2) Golden Rockets team would be big in terms of climbing the rankings.

:mrgreen:

(Although Southern still has to make the trip over to Waterford Friday, who could be on a 4-game wining streak if they beat Trimble Tuesday.)

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”