Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #9

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Smeltzy
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #9

Post by Smeltzy »

Agreed pfloyd.......BC defense definitely had something to do with the cold shooting. But, there were plenty of clean looks that usually go down that went in and out all game. I too feel like it could be different next week and hopefully we'll see the FU team we ve watched all season.

whsball
Freshman Team

Post by whsball »

pfloyd wrote:What a great time of the year !!! so many games with meaning happening in the last couple of weeks of the regular season - league championships on the line ... non-league match-ups with sectional seeding implications - I love it ... Saturday I traveled to the Northwest Territory of the Southeast District to see Unioto vs Washington CH , Tuesday night the Pfloyd Tour visited the Reservation to take in Logan Elm entertaining Washington CH , then Wednesday night to the Alley at Alexander High School to watch TVC foes the Alexander Spartans vs Vinton County ... I wasn't disappointed at the 3 games between 5 teams ALL ranked in the Top 10 in the Southeast District ... no game outcome was more than 5 points ... the total point differential in the 3 contests combined was 11 points ... outstanding TEAMS, outstanding COACHING, outstanding players ...

... this weekend is FULL of matchups , I want to see them ALL !!! ... Portsmouth @ Fairland in the OVC ; Unioto @ Westfall in the SVC ; Logan vs Warren Local in the SEOAL ; Unioto vs Miami Trace Saturday night SVC vs SCOL ; Valley @ Waverly an SOC matchup; Chesapeake @ Ironton in the OVC Friday night; Eastern Pike vs Western Pike Friday night in the SOC ; Western Pike vs North Adams in a battle of the SOC vs SHAC ; Minford vs Oak Hill Friday night in the SOC ; Alexander @ Meigs (TVC clash) ; Waterford @ Fort Frye (rivalry game) ; Athens @ Marietta (TVC vs ECOL & both in the Logan D2 Sectional) ; Meigs @ Wahama ; Trimble @ South Gallia (TVC action) ... this is just small peek at Friday & Saturday's action with BIG GAMES, BIG NAMES ... BIG CONSEQUENCES ... Washington CH @ Miami Trace Friday night ! THAT'S a BIG one too ... Chillicothe vs Wilmington Friday night, on paper not a close game BUT last year with Wilmington destroying every team they played the Cavs gave WHS their biggest scare of the season ...

... get out and watch not just some good hoops this weekend you will be able to watch some GREAT HOOPS this weekend !!!

How about MT v WCH TONIGHT

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

Miami Trace 60
Washington CH 58

MT:
Tyrae Pettiford 33
D. Pettiford 13
Pittser 6
Tyree 4
Creamer 2
Carter 2

FG - 51%
3-PT - 3/14

WCH:
Knisley 18
Eckles 14
Shaw 10
Proby 6
Upthegrove 5
Patton 5

FG - 46%
3-PT - 7/14

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... BIG matchup at Unioto tomorrow night !!! Miami Trace vs the Shermans of Coach Hoops ... UHS trying stay undefeated on the season ... wishing my Purple Logan boys had played tonight so I could see the SCOL vs SVC matchup tomorrow night !!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto 60
Westfall 57

Westfall led by as much as 14 early in the game. They had several shots rattle out that would've extended the lead as well. Westfall's bigs played a great game, being even on the glass for the game. Unioto was 5-11 from 3 and 9-14 from the line, including making both ends of a one and one with 8.7 left.

I'll have more later on tonight.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Can anyone in this district play with John Glenn? Gonna have to be someone who either plays incredible defense or who can score A LOT. Not sure it's guaranteed that anyone in the se plays the east winner, didn't look ahead to bracket, if that's even out yet. BUT what JG is doing is pretty special. Putting up crazy numbers.

Thoughts?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Falcon01 wrote:Can anyone in this district play with John Glenn? Gonna have to be someone who either plays incredible defense or who can score A LOT. Not sure it's guaranteed that anyone in the se plays the east winner, didn't look ahead to bracket, if that's even out yet. BUT what JG is doing is pretty special. Putting up crazy numbers.

Thoughts?
JG presses nonstop and runs it up. They are very, very good, but a team with good guard play and some size will be able to hang with them and who knows how they'll react in a tight game. They are definitely the favorite to make it to the Schott though.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

There is only one team in JG's league that has a winning record. Their league looks horrible. They didn't impress me at the convo last year and I doubt unioto will roll over for them

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

I definitely don't think the mvl is very good. JG has played some tight games though, the games down in Florida and then at ASVSM. Be interesting to see. Obviously unioto seems to be the team that most would want to see match up with them.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

Falcon01 wrote:Can anyone in this district play with John Glenn? Gonna have to be someone who either plays incredible defense or who can score A LOT. Not sure it's guaranteed that anyone in the se plays the east winner, didn't look ahead to bracket, if that's even out yet. BUT what JG is doing is pretty special. Putting up crazy numbers.

Thoughts?
JG is the most frightening team in the state on paper. After watching them play, they seem to be beatable. They lack interior size and presence first and foremost. They make up for that with non stop shooting and pressure defense. I think a match up with Courthouse or Unioto could give JG a run for their money. They will be the favorite in all of their games, but the match up with the SE district could give them serious fits. The league they play in has teams that would struggle to win 5 games in the SVC, TVC, MSL, and SCOL. They're nothing to be taken lightly, but I don't think a regional game will look anything like their regular season scores.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Huge game tonight in Frenchtown as the Shermans host the Miami Trace Panthers! Miami Trace is played really good basketball right now and Unioto continues to get W's, even though 2 of the last 3 games have really came down to the final seconds, which is exactly what they have needed!

One big thing to look for tonight will be how much both teams have left in the tank after emotional wins last night. Unioto's depth should be a big help tonight. I think MT matches up well on the wings, but can they contain the Unioto bigs? Tyree is going to be a big time played for the Panthers, so I know he can, but do they have other help on the interior? The Shermans must contain the Pettiford's, one had 33 last night and the other had 29 early this week! Tyree had 21 in their win over Clinton Massie, and Pittser can really shoot it when he's not distributing. Should be a great game!

More on last night: Logan Swackhammer proved to be a gamer, knocking down huge pressure FTs with 8.7 left to give the Shermans a 3 point lead. He kept the Shermans in the game early on when Westfall stormed out to a 14 point lead in the 2nd quarter. Sawyer Lovely, Clay Edler, and Casey White gave big time minutes in the 4th quarter defensively. While they may not have scored much (White had 3), they provided tough defense when the Shermans needed every stop that they could get. Peyton Hill had huge energy at the end of the half and looked much more comfortable. He's going to be scary once he's completely in his comfort zone, had a big 5-0 run to keep the game tight at the half. Erique Hosley and Bubba Wheeler had to battle all evening long, but stepped up big time on the glass and getting big buckets late in the game. Not much more you can ask out of 2 seniors! Brandon Kennedy hit big shots to give the Shermans some scoring in the 2nd half. The Sophomore is shooting 50% from 3 on the year and is finding other ways to score as well. If he can guard like he did last night, there are big things in his future.

Westfall is in great shape with Trevor Younkin at the helm. They have a good bit of talent now and more coming, he sets them up to be in every game. Westfall is going to be an extremely tough out, especially if they continue to crash the boards like they did last night. Corey Wyman didn't have his best scoring night, but he was more of a PG than a scoring guard last night. Getting the ball to his teammates in great position all night long. Mason Peart and Chase Anderson played very well on the interior, both rebounded well and played excellent post defense. Hayden Mink, Chase Adams, and Austin Nunemaker all had excellent floor games and each made winning plays that could've easily put the Mustangs over the top.

Last thought: What an amazing atmosphere! There's no way that the Dome wasn't over the capacity limit, lol, and nobody was in their seat for the final 3 minutes! Both sides were extremely loud and definitely gave the kids a little extra energy. It was cool to see the Mustang faithful stick around and give the kids a standing ovation when they came back out after meeting with Coach Younkin, they definitely deserved it. There were no losers last night.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... pfloyd was feeling under the weather for Friday's action so I stayed in the Hocking Hills BUT thanks to online radio, online live video streaming games and the radio I was able to simultaneously listen to/watch the great game between Unioto @ Westfall , listened to Meigs hosting Alexander AND through the live video broadcast of VSN & the work of here4fun outta Lucasville Valley I watched the Indians of Valley take on the Waverly Tigers at Waverly ... I drove my wife crazy BUT it was awesome !!!!

... feeling better today, will travel down the highway a couple of miles to Jim's Gym to watch the battle for SEOAL supremacy with Logan hosting the Big Bad Blue of Warren ... Senior night, Warren, Coach Maddox & the Warren faithful - perfect set up for a great matchup - the first of 2 for these teams ! as Warren will be entertaining Logan on 2/12 ... winner of the matchup tonight is guaranteed a share of the SEOAL title while the loser gets an opportunity to share the title with a win in the rematch on 2/12 ...

... High School Hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line IS THE BEST SHOW AROUND !!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...daniC I WISH the Logan & Warren game was Friday night I really really want to see tonight's matchup of Unioto vs Miami Trace !!! dang it! some many great games and not enough of ME to go around LOL ... I feel cheated when I can't see ALL of these great games !!!! I need access to all of the digital game footage that coaches share for scouting purposes/team video/game summaries/stats I think it's called HUDL - I would have to quit my day job !!! LOL ...

... Miami Trace IS scary good right now ... it will be another tough matchup for Unioto without Cole Cottrill in the lineup BUT each game played w/o CC playing the Sherman's gain more confidence in who IS on the floor to get "IT" done ... good stuff !!!! looking forward to reading your recap from tonights game daniC !!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote:...daniC I WISH the Logan & Warren game was Friday night I really really want to see tonight's matchup of Unioto vs Miami Trace !!! dang it! some many great games and not enough of ME to go around LOL ... I feel cheated when I can't see ALL of these great games !!!! I need access to all of the digital game footage that coaches share for scouting purposes/team video/game summaries/stats I think it's called HUDL - I would have to quit my day job !!! LOL ...

... Miami Trace IS scary good right now ... it will be another tough matchup for Unioto without Cole Cottrill in the lineup BUT each game played w/o CC playing the Sherman's gain more confidence in who IS on the floor to get "IT" done ... good stuff !!!! looking forward to reading your recap from tonights game daniC !!!

I'll get you covered! You should give Coach Hoops some grief to get connect to our Hudl account, lol.

MT is full of talented underclassmen who know how to play. Tonight is Unioto's Senior Night, so hopefully the Shermans can pull together some energy and send the seniors out as winners!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

daniC ... I can't do that to Coach Hoops LOL - he has more important things on his plate than to worry about pfloyd LOL ... it's awesome though to go into gyms around Southeast/Southern Ohio where the coaching staffs/officials/PA announcers etc. give me a shout out in the Cheap Seats - such great people ALL OVER Hoops Country Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... I love my winter, night job with boys high school basketball !!! LOL

... best of luck to your Shermans tonight !!! is the game on WKKJ again tonight ??? I might be able to tune it in on the LHS internet for some updates tonight from the Logan Gym ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

It is not, but it may be on Buckeye Country 105.5, which covers the SCOL. Their head PbP man is a Unioto graduate, so he may have some pull to get on the game, lol. There will be a wealth of talented underclassmen on the court tonight, Pettifordx2, Pittser, Tyree...Swack, Kennedy, Fisher, Hill, Edler, White, that will just have me excited for next season already! Of course, the Shermans have the old man advantage, Hosley, Lovely, Wheeler. Should be fun. Hosley is now 2 games from breaking Coach Hoops' games played record at Unioto, I'm hoping he shatters it.

So far in the past 2 road games, the Shermans have had 7 different players on the court and making an impact in the final minute of play. Giving those guys experience in tight games should help Coach Hoops a lot as we enter one and done season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote:It is not, but it may be on Buckeye Country 105.5, which covers the SCOL. Their head PbP man is a Unioto graduate, so he may have some pull to get on the game, lol. There will be a wealth of talented underclassmen on the court tonight, Pettifordx2, Pittser, Tyree...Swack, Kennedy, Fisher, Hill, Edler, White, that will just have me excited for next season already! Of course, the Shermans have the old man advantage, Hosley, Lovely, Wheeler. Should be fun. Hosley is now 2 games from breaking Coach Hoops' games played record at Unioto, I'm hoping he shatters it.

So far in the past 2 road games, the Shermans have had 7 different players on the court and making an impact in the final minute of play. Giving those guys experience in tight games should help Coach Hoops a lot as we enter one and done season.

... agreed ... SO MUCH young talent out there that will only get better for NEXT season ... I'm with you daniC when I start thinking about WHO is returning outstanding youngsters from THIS for NEXT year ... I vote to give everyone a a month layoff after the "show in C'bus" - then we TIP IT OFF for next year !!!! ... I could do this year round LOL ...

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

Unfortunately, MT/Unioto isn't on the schedule for Buckeye Country 105.5 tonight. They should go cover it since the don't have any games scheduled for tonight, but I doubt that will happen.

danic, will you be posting updates tonight?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Fairland Dragons on their OVC championship after their 75-72 OT win vs. Portsmouth. The Dragons have a quality club, and start 5 sophomores, so the best is yet to come for them.

VERY PROUD of my Trojans on their effort, and very encouraged to see 26 points by players off the bench (Mike Malone 14, DJ Eley 8, Daniel Jordan 4). All of these kids along with Kendal Reynolds (16) and Reese Johnson (6) return for the Trojans next season. Eley, Jordan, and Johnson are sophomores.

One more win will give Portsmouth (11-7) its 78th winning season since 1913, and winning the last 4 games will give PHS its 42rd season with at least 15 wins. Portsmouth's all time record is 1,412--752, which is tops in wins in the SE district.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

trojandave wrote:Congratulations to the Fairland Dragons on their OVC championship after their 75-72 OT win vs. Portsmouth. The Dragons have a quality club, and start 5 sophomores, so the best is yet to come for them.

VERY PROUD of my Trojans on their effort, and very encouraged to see 26 points by players off the bench (Mike Malone 14, DJ Eley 8, Daniel Jordan 4). All of these kids along with Kendal Reynolds (16 points) return for the Trojans next season.

One more win will give Portsmouth (11-7) its 78th winning season since 1913, and winning the last 4 games will give PHS its 43rd season with at least 15 wins. Portsmouth's all time record is 1,412--752, which is tops in wins in the SE district.
Where does that put them in terms of the state record for wins?

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”