Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Smeltzy
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Post by Smeltzy »

Fairfield Union with the HUGE win at Logan Elm tonight...46 to 43. FU up most of game and LE makes big comeback in 4th but FU hangs on.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 69
Gallia Academy 40 final

Logan goes 8-8 on the season ...

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

North Adams 47- oak hill 44 ot.final. Ports over Peebles 64-55.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

North Adams will be moving up a bit

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote:North Adams will be moving up a bit

I92 ... I've read that North Adams just got a player back ? who is the player ? does he have size in the paint ?

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

The other Meade kid. Cole Meade I think.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote:

I92 ... I've read that North Adams just got a player back ? who is the player ? does he have size in the paint ?

Think he's maybe 5'16

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto 68
Huntington 47

Erique Hosley wore #20 to honor Cole Cottrill tonight, then responded with 16 pts and 14 Rebs. I try not to complain about refs on here, because it does nothing, but I'm tired of watching Erique get absolutely climbed on every night for the past 4 years and rarely get a call. Just because he's stronger then almost everyone else on the court, doesn't mean he's not getting fouled. Anyways, Logan Swackhammer had a night, 13 pts, 6 rebs, and 9 assists. Isaac Wheeler scored 11 and Brandon Kennedy added 9. Senior Sawyer Lovely notched his first career start.

Deandre Viney scored 23 for the Huntsmen, including absolutely catching fire in the 3rd quarter. Elijah McClosky is going to be a special player for Huntington, the freshman had 2 very good floor games against the Shermans this season.

Other SVC games:
Westfall 77, Southeastern 69
Adena 52, Piketon 51
Zane Trace 41, Paint Valley 34- Overtime (was tied at 29 in regulation)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:

Think he's maybe 5'16
I92 hmmmmm I thought he was at least 6-4 :lol:

Henry Jones, Jr.
Freshman Team

Post by Henry Jones, Jr. »

93Bulldog wrote:Add Minford's win over Valley to the 'lets make Pfloyds world difficult' list. lol

Trimble beat Minford by 20 - but only loss of the season was to Valley. Alexander's win over Minford is a nice resume builder, so was the win over Warren and Meigs - but the Spartans were handled by Athens. Warren loses at Alexander, drills Athens a few days later, but Athens beats Alexander by 15 a few days after that. Did I mention Alexander lost to Chesapeake, who lost to Fairland? lol

On a side note, Trimble's overtime win over (8-2) Waterford was huge. For league purposes AND tournament seeding. Great game in Glouster - as I was impressed with Waterford. They run 9 deep and by the end of the game you'll have no idea who the starters are. They all seem equal - and all but one are underclassmen. They are preseason top 8 material for 2016/2017 for sure.

And don't lose sight of South Gallia. They are (10-2) and only losses were @ Waterford 59-65 and @ Belpre, who they handled by 13 last night in Mercerville.

Last comment. Trimble deserves a spot back in the Elite 8 this week. Just sayin.

:)
And Chesapeake beats Valley 60-57 in N. Adams Saturday.

Soooo....at neutral sites in the last week: Valley beats Fairland, Chesapeake beats Valley a week later, but Fairland beats Chesapeake at home the night before.

Pfloyd will have to pull an all-nighter to figure out this week!

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

pfloyd wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:

Think he's maybe 5'16

Cole Meade 6'4"

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Rodeo1 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
Think he's maybe 5'16

Cole Meade 6'4"
Nailed it. His Dad about 4'32

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Not saying that they will get in, but when was the last time that Fairfield Union has been in the Elite 8?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Portsmouth 64 Peebles 55

the Trojans pick up up a very good win in Peebles tonight , Kyree Allison got off to a slow start with only 5 points at halftime but finished with 25 , Kendall Reynolds had 16 the trojans got some help from others tonight with Mike Malone coming off the bench and hitting 4 out of 5 from the three point line Malone sit out the first half of season it is good to have him back.

since dropping 20 spots after the loss to south point the Trojans have fought back to win a couple big games in beating number 3 chesapeake and now number 8 Peebles ....i have believed in this team from the start and I still stand by my statement the Trojans will be a tough out come one and done season.

The Trojans go on the road for 3 league games next week,,at Ironton tuesday..at Rock Hill wednesday and at Coal grove friday Kyree Allison cut the margin to 50 to become Portsmouths all time leading scorer, looks like he will get it on the road.

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

biggdowgg wrote:Portsmouth 64 Peebles 55

the Trojans pick up up a very good win in Peebles tonight , Kyree Allison got off to a slow start with only 5 points at halftime but finished with 25 , Kendall Reynolds had 16 the trojans got some help from others tonight with Mike Malone coming off the bench and hitting 4 out of 5 from the three point line Malone sit out the first half of season it is good to have him back.

since dropping 20 spots after the loss to south point the Trojans have fought back to win a couple big games in beating number 3 chesapeake and now number 8 Peebles ....i have believed in this team from the start and I still stand by my statement the Trojans will be a tough out come one and done season.

The Trojans go on the road for 3 league games next week,,at Ironton tuesday..at Rock Hill wednesday and at Coal grove friday Kyree Allison cut the margin to 50 to become Portsmouths all time leading scorer, looks like he will get it on the road.
Congrats to ports tonight. You are right the Malone kid really hurt Peebles tonight with his deep threes. This game was good for Peebles and I enjoy the games we have each year. I think this game will help us alot getting ready for the D4 tourney. Good luck the rest of the year from Peebles.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

thanks , Peebles is really good number 11 and 44 really nice players they should be tough in post season and I agree this game will help both teams and is always fun to watch, good luck to your Indians.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

danicalifornia wrote:Unioto 68
Huntington 47

Erique Hosley wore #20 to honor Cole Cottrill tonight, then responded with 16 pts and 14 Rebs. I try not to complain about refs on here, because it does nothing, but I'm tired of watching Erique get absolutely climbed on every night for the past 4 years and rarely get a call. Just because he's stronger then almost everyone else on the court, doesn't mean he's not getting fouled. Anyways, Logan Swackhammer had a night, 13 pts, 6 rebs, and 9 assists. Isaac Wheeler scored 11 and Brandon Kennedy added 9. Senior Sawyer Lovely notched his first career start.

Deandre Viney scored 23 for the Huntsmen, including absolutely catching fire in the 3rd quarter. Elijah McClosky is going to be a special player for Huntington, the freshman had 2 very good floor games against the Shermans this season.

Other SVC games:
Adena 52, Piketon 51
Hosely continues to get hammered and nothing called and I give him credit for not losing his composure. And again tonight 2 unioto breakaways and getting hammered from behind and knocked to the floor. Luckily no one injured tonight. Last night was a disgrace and a flagrant foul is not enough punishment. Cole cottrill has 2 broken wrists because of stupidity. Do you blame the kid or the coach for that kind of play? It's got to stop before someone really gets hurt ! And the svc officials that I've seen this year are absolutely horrible. There always has to be one that puts on a show

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Nice defensive game tonight by the Falcons to defeat Logan Elm. They did a good job of covering LE's shooters and guarding Ridge Young.

Fairfield Union hit three threes on its first four possessions to take a 9-0 lead and never trailed in game. Logan Elm cuts it down to 11-9, but Thomas Green hits a big triple to extend lead to 14-9 at the end of one.

Fairfield Union led 24-18 at the break and used two late baskets from Colin Woodside to help extend lead to 35-26 going to the fourth quarter. A layup from Lucas Thompson gave Fairfield Union its biggest lead at 37-26 early in the fourth, but Logan Elm turned up its defense and scored on four consecutive possessions to trim its deficit to 39-38 with 3:38 left. The game was one or two points until Hayden Price hit a free throw with eight seconds left to make the final 46-43, as a last second three missed the mark for the Braves.

Very physical game. Stunned by the lack of free throws, for both teams, given the physicality.

Fairfield Union 46,

Logan Elm 43

FAIRFIELD UNION — Smith 1-0-3, Woodside 2-3-7, Miller 1-1-3, Thompson 4-0-9, Price 3-3-9, Green 5-2-15. Three-point goals — Green (3), Thompson and Smith. Total — 16-34 9-15 46.

LOGAN ELM — Young 6-0-13, Schultz 2-0-5, Saxton 4-2-10, Smith 3-0-6, Paul 2-1-6, Clydesdale 1-0-3. Three-point goals — Young, Schultz, Paul and Clydesdale. Total — 18-47 3-6 43.

Quarter scores;1;2;3;4;F

Fairfield Union;14;10;11;11;46

Logan Elm;9;9;8;17;43

Turnovers - Fairfield Union 14, Logan Elm 8
Rebounds - Logan Elm 22, Fairfield Union 21 (doesn't include team rebounds)

Fairfield Union - 10-2, 6-1
Logan Elm - 10-4, 5-2

Logan Elm has lost at home by two to Bloom-Carroll, three to Fairfield Union and one point to Middle Tennessee in Florida.

Fairfield Union is a very dangerous team with its ability to shoot the three, along with the inside play of Woodside. Defense also does a nice job and guards hard.

Logan sectional is going to be an absolute grind. Get your tickets early.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

Bronc21 wrote:
Huntington 47

Other SVC games:
Adena 52, Piketon 51
Hosely continues to get hammered and nothing called and I give him credit for not losing his composure. And again tonight 2 unioto breakaways and getting hammered from behind and knocked to the floor. Luckily no one injured tonight. Last night was a disgrace and a flagrant foul is not enough punishment. Cole cottrill has 2 broken wrists because of stupidity. Do you blame the kid or the coach for that kind of play? It's got to stop before someone really gets hurt ! And the svc officials that I've seen this year are absolutely horrible. There always has to be one that puts on a show
Dani,
Thank you for bringing this to attention. After watching Erique play pretty much every game of his career, I couldn't agree more. My most recent complaint (and probably worst case) stems from the game earlier this season against Westfall. When you're officiating a game with a player like Erique, you have to keep a few things in mind:
1. He is the most athletically gifted player in the league/area.
2. His height deceives his playing ability.
3. He's a VERY VERY VERY strong 230 lb kid.

With that being said, when watching Westfall match up with him, every single player the Mustangs put on him were both vertically and athletically outmatched. So, when he jumps, he jumps higher than you. If im an official and I see him effortlessly go 10+ feet in the air for a rebound, but go sub-8 feet for a shot, am I inclined to think that he can only jump that high on one end of the court? The answer is no.
In most cases I have seen, Erique will make a shot attempt at the basket and the contact will come at the ball, but mostly on his forearms. Being the specimen that he is, he is still strong enough to play through the contact and get a decent looking attempt at the rim. BUT does the fact that he CAN play through contact mean that he SHOULD have to play through contact. I think no. Common sense will tell you that a kid with those abilities does not simply jump that low or shoot that ugly because it's a part of his offensive game.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE. !!!

Did I mention that whistles will blow on his block attempts seconds before he even jumps??!?!!??!
Countless times his ability to alter and deny shots has been called fouls when clearly it's just his raw athleticism giving him the advantage. Officials have done a poor job at managing the consistency in which they are calling fouls underneath.

By no means is Hosely a polished inside, back to the basket finisher, but after 4 years and almost 80 games, yeah, he knows how to attack and defend without fouling.

If there are any officials out there please feel free to provide insight to what steps you take at calling a game where you have a kid who is an obvious match up problem for another team and how you have to change what is normally a pretty fair match up to accommodate for a player playing in another class.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Bronc21 wrote:
Huntington 47

Other SVC games:
Adena 52, Piketon 51
I agree with you but I think two broken wrists qualifies for "someone really gets hurt"

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”