Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5

Post by biggdowgg »

Portsmouth 72
Chesapeake 62

pretty good game for the Trojans , Chesapeake is loaded . Allison had 29 with Renolds adding 20 , Ethan Leanord is the third guy we need to step up and score hit three treys also, big points from Dj Yeley off the bench also. but one big thing about this game is one of our best Rebounders "Daniel Jordan got hurt in practice and did not play , but sophmore Reese Johnson stepped up and had a huge game on Meadows I know he got his points but he is very dangerous and capable of going off .

I really think the Trojans are getting better and hoping they will turn than corner soon , another Big game Friday against Fairland.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly is playing much better ball now and winners of 4 straight, beating Hillsboro in convincing style tonight 56-35.
I see South Webster, whom Waverly beat (at SW) to start the winning streak, beat East tonight 70-63. Didn't East beat Eastern by 20ish? Brown22 doesn't seem to give Waverly any credit for beating his Eagles, accrediting the Tiger win to a "bad game" on the part of the Eagles. Well, I can tell you a couple of the Tiger losses were due to that exact reason.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

smurray wrote:Waverly is playing much better ball now and winners of 4 straight, beating Hillsboro in convincing style tonight 56-35.
I see South Webster, whom Waverly beat (at SW) to start the winning streak, beat East tonight 70-63. Didn't East beat Eastern by 20ish? Brown22 doesn't seem to give Waverly any credit for beating his Eagles, accrediting the Tiger win to a "bad game" on the part of the Eagles. Well, I can tell you a couple of the Tiger losses were due to that exact reason.
I agree, Waverly should be ranked higher. They started off slow (probably due to a tough schedule) but are playing much better basketball right now.

Don't let the record fool you, South Webster is playing solid basketball as well. The SOC 2 is as good as I've seen it in 7-8 years. LOTS of talent!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

East Clinton 84
Adena 74

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

I yell a lot at games and don't normally say anything on here about the refs. There was several questionable calls tonight and they werent consistent in my opinion.
But Portsmouth's was making everything they put up. I havent seen a team just hit no matter where they shot from. They hit some from 5-6 feet behind the arc.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

great game

I honestly did not see anything out from the officiating that I thought was questionable , in the 3rd period Chesapeake had 0 fouls "when the Trojans went up 21. with 5 minutes left in the game they only had 3 in the entire second half before they started fouling to put the Trojans on the line.

I did see some missed traveling calls on both teams but I have watched a ton of basketball already this year and they just dont seem to call travel na lot anymore unless its really obvious.

good luck to Peake , I told everone when I seen them play the first time this would be the team to beat in this league and think they will make a good run in the tourny
Last edited by biggdowgg on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

smurray wrote:Waverly is playing much better ball now and winners of 4 straight, beating Hillsboro in convincing style tonight 56-35.
I'm sure Waverly has lost a couple games due to bad games I was just stating to the one poster it's hard to jump 20 spots on Floyd's poll now if the tigers keep it up I'm sure they will get their due and we need Waverly to be good in pike county their the biggest school we got so if one of the other school would knock them off it would mean something to basketball fans.

GO EAGLES
Rocket3
Waterboy

Post by Rocket3 »

Wellston at 6-3.. Sitting behind 3 teams they have beat (Eastern Pike-20, Oak Hill-32, Southeastern-37) I think we have a better ball club then we are credited for.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Rocket3 wrote:Wellston at 6-3.. Sitting behind 3 teams they have beat (Eastern Pike-20, Oak Hill-32, Southeastern-37) I think we have a better ball club then we are credited for.
I thought wellston looked as well they have athletes and they can shoot that program is definitely going in the right direction the jv team is got good ball players as well.

GO EAGLES
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

So bottom half of the SOC II South Webster beats SOC I leader East?

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

:evil:
Crab's Brother wrote:So bottom half of the SOC II South Webster beats SOC I leader East?

Webster is better than the record shows come tourney I look for them to have it together and be playing good ball.

GO EAGLES
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth played its best game of the year last night vs. a very good Chesapeake team. Don't know the official shooting percentages, but it had to be our best game from the perimeter. The Panthers did make a run at the Trojans in the 4th quarter, but PHS finished strong. Kyre Allison and Kendal Reynolds continue to be a duo with a lot of scoring punch, as they tallied 29 and 20 points respectively.

I don't think the officiating was a factor in this game, rather, the Trojans, even without 1 starter (Daniel Jordan), simply outplayed the Panthers.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

trojandave wrote:Portsmouth played its best game of the year last night vs. a very good Chesapeake team. Don't know the official shooting percentages, but it had to be our best game from the perimeter. The Panthers did make a run at the Trojans in the 4th quarter, but PHS finished strong. Kyre Allison and Kendal Reynolds continue to be a duo with a lot of scoring punch, as they tallied 29 and 20 points respectively.

I don't think the officiating was a factor in this game, rather, the Trojans, even without 1 starter (Daniel Jordan), simply outplayed the Panthers.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

brown22 wrote::evil:
Crab's Brother wrote:So bottom half of the SOC II South Webster beats SOC I leader East?

Webster is better than the record shows come tourney I look for them to have it together and be playing good ball.

That is because their record in the SOC II makes them that way. After that win, I will change my opinion that over the course of the season I now believe 6 SOC II teams (Excluding West and Northwest) could win the SOC I. It was 5, but now I will add Webster to the mix.

There are some good teams in the smaller league, but there are not 4 better than Oak Hill, Wheelersburg, or Waverly.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

trojandave wrote:Portsmouth played its best game of the year last night vs. a very good Chesapeake team. Don't know the official shooting percentages, but it had to be our best game from the perimeter. The Panthers did make a run at the Trojans in the 4th quarter, but PHS finished strong. Kyre Allison and Kendal Reynolds continue to be a duo with a lot of scoring punch, as they tallied 29 and 20 points respectively.

If Portsmouth shot it better last night than they did against Valley last Monday then that is flat out getting it done.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

??? South Webster plays their home games on a bigger floor than Portsmouth East (newer school = bigger floor) ... imo as has been my opinion so far - East has a decided advantage at home on the smaller floor - gives their big an opportunity to be MORE involved at BOTH ends of the floor ... when on the road, the bigger floors takes SOME of that advantage away , not as big of factor ... and when the Tartans play teams that are good teams , on a bigger floor - they are playing the good teams "even up" with less of an advantage in the paint ... when East plays teams that they are decidedly better than - the small floor big floor factor is there due East winning all of the other areas of the game - talent/quickness/one on one vs the opponent/ East's best vs opponents best , etc ... South Webster (good team) vs East (better team with a BIG factor) + bigger floor ( negates some of the BIG factor) = (in this case) South Webster "W" ...

... East has to go on the road to play Portsmouth Clay (bigger floor) and Eastern Pike (bigger floor) ... 2 big tests to my theory ... prior to those 2 road games on bigger floors the Tartans will have 5 home games on the smaller court ... home games for East on the smaller floor = ALL of Easts components are having to be contended with/accounted for by the opposition - advantage East ... on the road/bigger floors = the BIG factor is less of factor - don't get me wrong East IS a very good team, especially when ALL of the players & ALL of their weapons have be accounted for ... "any" team when you play defense or offense you try to take away "something" from your opponent/ "negate" something (i.e. perimeter play & scoring, inside game, penetration by guards etc) - you have to win somewhere in the small battles/matchups in order to beat a quality team and win the war with a W ... as an outsider looking in East has to prove itself on the "BIG" floor vs an equally good opponent - that is the ??? that sticks in my mind week to week when evaluating East ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Crab's Brother wrote:

If Portsmouth shot it better last night than they did against Valley last Monday then that is flat out getting it done.

... when you play vs a team who has the "potential" that Portsmouth does (i.e.. the scoring from BOTH Allison & Reynolds) AND they BOTH have it going in the same game , AND the opposition gets a "pick me up" fill in performance that gives them (PHS) yet ANOTHER option that by default negates or equalizes a strength of your own (PHS's Johnson vs CHS Meadows on the boards and Yeley becoming a 3rd option offensively) - it would have been a perfect storm for defeat on the part of the 'peake ... it happens ! - I watched Athens entertain Warren last night in Athens - Warren had a "clinic" of a 1st half ! were 9/16 from behind the 3 point line, 8/9 from the FT line, committed only 2 TOs ... forced 8 AHS turnovers ... held one of the best PGs in SouthEast Ohio to 1 fg & 4 total points in the first half jumping out to a 47- 15 lead at intermission !!! That's why you have to love high school hoops - you just never know when EVERYTHING you as a coach has taught/preached about over and over and over again finally comes together ... and when it does for the good teams even vs the best of teams - the best of teams lose ... Portsmouth gains lots of confidence in beating a quality team like Chesapeake - the role players , the youngsters that Coach Collins has been looking to "get it" , to step up - now know what they can/do bring to the TEAM ... Coach Davis' Panthers learn the mindset that you have to have even as a quality team - how do you handle a team who seemingly can do no wrong/everything is going in ? what do you keep your mind on "we're a quality team, how do we endure the onslaught and stay in the game ? Coach Davis' & Co. will be a better TEAM even in losing at Portsmouth last night - count on it ...

... trojandave / biggdowgg How does last nights Trojan team get beat by South Point ??????????????????

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... it's hard to do a game re-cap on a week night for me - due to "my day job" - and my "2 finger" typing skills ... but I did want to give props to a win by what has been one of the most consistent quality "programs" in Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Coach Maddox and his Warren Warriors :

Warren 72
Athens 51 final

I've had the pleasure to watch some of the BEST teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line so far in the first half of the 2015-16 season ... THAT'S entirely by design !!! I can choose which teams, which games I want to see based on the quality of the TEAMS playing ... I don't try to see EVERY team in Southern/SouthEast Ohio - time & distance make it impossible for one BUT in my little mind if I can see between 35-50 of the 72 teams in the Southeast District during the season I've done what I can to be knowledgable about the best of the best out there ... there ARE TEAMS/PROGRAMS that I go see play more than once, twice, three times or more !!! outstanding players get me there, quality match-ups get me there, outstanding coaches/teachers of the game get me there, quality PROGRAMS get me there ... Warren vs Athens in A'town last night fit the bill !

... Warren - I hadn't seen yet this season ! unheard of in my time following high school hoops - I have in the past seen at least 2 games maybe more played by Warren at this point in the season ... Warren IS one of the quality TEAMS/PROGRAMS - end of story ... Athens lost everyone from last season with the exception of Griffin Lutz - who by the way fits the OUTSTANDING player description (don't be fooled though by AHS - they have quality players who are getting varsity minutes, they have size in the pipeline, the JV squad has quality players freshmen & sophomores ... & Griffin Lutz returns for his senior season next year ...

... Warren has been "rumored" to be down this season ... 2 losses to two TVC teams (Meigs/Alexander) ... "down" is not the correct word to be using imo "inexperienced" at the varsity level is much much better ... throw in key injuries to the Warrior PG Seth Hall and you have your varsity experienced PG , leader NOT on the floor ... with all of that said - Warren looked every bit as good as you would expect from a Coach Maddox TEAM as they dismantled the Athens Bulldogs in the first 2 quarters last night 47-15 by intermission ... I've used this word twice this season to describe how a team has performed on the court ... "Clinic" ... the first time I wrote it on my napkin sheet was at Unioto vs Fairfield Union ... the Shermans of Coach Hoops lead by sophomore PG Logan Swackhammer hit FU in the mouth jumping out to a 36-17 lead at halftime offensively/defensively UHS was in total control ... last night the Warriors one upped Unioto - as good as Unioto looked vs FU ... Warren looked even BETTER vs Athens - 9/16 from behind the arc (including a "called" bank of the glass - ok maybe it wasn't called BUT if it was the results would have been the same - 3 points off the glass) ... 8/9 from the FT line ... only 2 TOs without the regular PG (Seth Hall) - Kyler Dennis did an outstanding job handling the ball and offensively as he singlehandedly beat Athens in the half KD 16 Athens 15 ... K. Dennis had 4 three's in the first 2 quarters (5 for the game) ... lots of help from the other 5 Warriors who played in the first half - 5 more threes (Chase Weihl 2 /Bryce Gandee with 3) ... defensively the Warriors held Griffin Lutz to 1 fg & 4 points in the first 2 quarters ... forced 8 Athens TOs and committing only 2 of their own in the half ... held the Bulldogs to 2 fgs in the 2nd quarter ... in my book it added up to a "clinic" ... Warren 47 Athens 15 at intermission ... game , set and match ... both teams liberally played everyone in the 2nd half ... the Bulldogs got good minutes from their bench as Nick Lutz , Genesis Williams and Bay Rogers knocked down 6 threes balls (3,1,2 respectively) and the 6-6 Williams put down a 2 hand dunk to get into the highlights for the Bulldogs last night ... Warren 72 Athens 51 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring ... Griffin Lutz 13, Nick Lutz 9,Bay Rogers 6, Genesis Williams 5, Dalton Cozart 5, Zacciah Saltzman 5,Robert Dickleman 4, Logan Maxfield 2 and Noah Skinner 2

3 Pointers ... 8/21 ... Nick Lutz 3, Bay Rogers 2, Genesis Williams 1, Dalton Cozart 1, Zacciah Saltzman 1

FT's ... 7/11

TO's ... 12

Dunks ... Genesis Williams 1

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Kyler Dennis 23, Chase Weihl 17, Luke Drayer 13, Bryce Gandee 11, Josh Huffman 4, Bishop Ford 2, Noah Nichols 2, Mason Pilkey 1

3 Pointers ... 10/26 ... 9/16 in the first half ... Kyler Dennis 5, Bryce Gandee 3, Chase Weihl 2

FT's ... 13/17

TO's ... 3

... Coach Maddox's BIG BAD BLUE have some areas that have not been filled by this years group ... from the "better than Cheap Seats" in the McAfee Gymnasium ... Kyler Dennis DID an outstanding job running the show last night and I haven't seen Seth Hall this year- but the ball handling from past years is not there - 3 TOs on the game last night doesn't indicate that BUT Athens does not apply the pressure that other teams do or will ... I'm used to seeing Warren players be THE FIRST on the floor, scrambling for the loose balls, the rebounds - even though again it's not indicated I don't see the hard-nosed , sacrifice my body type of kids on the floor - I saw "hesitation" in reacting to the loose balls/rebounds ... I didn't see the kid that will "take a charge" giving up the body to get pickup a foul on the opposing team , stop penetration, willing to "take a hit" to take away a possession and pick up a possession for the TEAM ... Warren IS a good ball club !!! obvious shooters are there and on the floor !!! I was impressed with Chase Weihl the 6-6 junior post player - he stacked the napkin stat sheet last night - unofficially carding 17 points, 11 rbs, 3 blk shots on the evening and probably most importantly he WAS the man in the middle that forced Griffin Lutz to kick the ball out to the perimeter ... last year I remember C. Weihl as being tall, long, and thin ... this season still tall at 6-6, still long with that wingspan AND he HAS put on weight , add to his pluses he will get better finishing in the paint AND he can shoot/hit the three ball (2 treys last night) ...

... all 'n all ... the rumors of the death of the Warren Warriors is just that - rumors ... looking forward to seeing the Warriors again with Seth Hall in the lineup soon ... it looks like the dwindled SEOAL crown STILL goes through Warren Local BUT I foresee 2 outstanding matchups between my Purple & the Big Bad Blue of Warren ...

... on a side note - I truly enjoy the hoops on the floor every game that I go to BUT I enjoy even more meeting up with friends I've made over the years from watching sports... last night I was greeted at the gate by a lady who said are you "p-something" ? I know I'm not that famous that the "floyd" part rolls off the tongue LOL - anyway I said "I'm pfloyd" - she responded by saying that Coach Skinner had taken care of my ticket for the night !!! ... I walked in the gym door and ran into Coach Maddox of Warren - we sat/talked for 10-15 minutes ... David Saltzman (Zacciah Saltzman's dad for Athens) stopped down to chat and give me grief about my basketball diet (2 dogs & a pepsi) LOL ... I thanked Coach Skinner while he was readying he boys for the JV game ... 93dog & the radio crew set up in front of me - always good to see my basketball compatriot 93dog ... several Warren fans came all the way across the court to chat/say hello including Mrs. Maddox !!! ... my point is it doesn't matter what happens on the court , it's the wonderful folks - the coaches, the players, the fans for all sides, the posters on SEOPs- that I enjoy just as much as the game itself ... when YOU go to games get to know the people on both sides ! - it makes every game, no matter where you go the best - and what I have found all of these folks - every coach I've met, every player/every parent/every fan of the game and every poster here on SEOPs - are friends for life ... great stuff to me anyway ... makes just driving to games at the different venues all over Southern & Southeast Ohio a treat because I know that meeting up with the folks - the coaches, the players, the parents, SEOPs friends - makes the 1-2 hours of driving worth every minute ...

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Is Pfloyd gonna make it to Meigs/Vinton County Game?

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

ma77ox wrote:Is Pfloyd gonna make it to Meigs/Vinton County Game?
I need to look at the other games scheduled for next Tuesday night ... Definitely want to see Meigs in person... Talked to Coach Maddox last night - he said that Meigs is for real , said MHS is a good basketball team ... He had nothing but good things to say about what the Marauders do on the basketball court ... When Coach Maddox has high praises for a team I believe him LOL ... So , when I sit down this weekend and look at games next week I'll know more about where I'm going ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”