Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 5

Post by pfloyd »

... great discussion on the "who will be #1 seed in the Logan Sectional" ... I've seen all 3 of these TEAMS multiple times, at different stages of the year to this point:
Logan Elm vs Washington CH, Logan Elm @ Circleville, Logan Elm @ Athens ... Warren vs Meigs, Warren vs Valley, Warren vs Logan, Warren vs Fairland ... Athens vs Logan Elm, Athens vs Circleville, and Athens vs Valley ... NONE of these TEAMS are playing the same as they did back in early December, ALL 3 of these TEAMS have improved leaps and bounds ... Which TEAM has improved the most based on the "eye test" (not EVEN including input from the Ouija Board at ALL) - I give that one to Athens - early on in the season the Bulldogs were recovering/playing themselves "out of" football mode into basketball mode ... what you saw on the floor was great athletes playing basketball while "thinking" about "how to play basketball ... NOW? the practices, the repetitions , the familiarity of being on the court ... knowing where everyone else is on the court ... playing with the physicality of the game of basketball not that of the game of football ... NO LONGER "thinking" - but doing, reacting ... I told Coach Skinner prior to Athens taking on Valley that his team had completed the transition from Football to Basketball, I saw it in the Circleville game, Joe Burrow IS NOW not just a great athlete/football player playing basketball , Joe Burrow IS NOW 100% a great basketball player on the court - football is on hold until April, his head is 100% into hoops ... as a basketball team, with basketball players Athens has ALL of the components of a great TEAM ... role players Zacchia Saltzman, the Leuhrmans NONE of them can carry a team but playing as PART of a TEAM they ARE OUTSTANDING ... case in point Zacchia Saltzman was I'm guessing 1-7 from the floor in 4 qtrs of regulation, and 1 OT period BUT he played outstanding defense, never quit being an offensive threat - he showed he could/would put the ball up from the perimeter... in the final OT Saltzman DID what I feel he does best - on 2 straight possessions he put the ball on the floor, took it to the rim, results: 2 buckets plus an "and one" - 5 points for "Z" ; Athens wins by 6 in double OT ... Burrow/Watson/Lutz ARE basketball players at both ends of the floor ... Burrow THE catalyst , he's the face of the Athens TEAM, Ibi Watson is as good of basketball player as you will see in SEO, and he hasn't reached his potential - scary ... Griffin Lutz is THE piece of the Athens puzzle that will eventually determine how much MORE Athens will improve as a TEAM ... right now as a cheap seat guy I can see where he has 1) found himself defensively 2) he is a major part of the AHS transition game being able to finish in the open court ... my thinking is that for the Athens TEAM to continue to improve Lutz will need to BE the 3rd consistent perimeter threat - he will have to take the perimeter shot AND make it, he has to have the confidence in his game to KNOW he can score from behind the arc - Burrow/Watson both have "IT", Burrow didn't have "IT" at the beginning of the season .. Now? Burrow doesn't think he can score behind the arc he KNOWS the ball is going in every time he releases it - "IT" ... in order for Lutz to get "IT" TEAM Athens will have to allow him to find "IT" - encourage him to shoot the perimeter shot/MAKE him shoot the perimeter shot ... Athens with 3 perimeter scorers that have "IT" (Watson/Burrow/Lutz) ... Saltzman - a streaky outside shooter, more comfortable putting his body ON the defensive player going the the rim ... the big bodies in the paint of Ryan/Adam Leuhrman can score off the dribble at the rim both need to develop that "elbow"/foul line jumper to be threats - they don't have to shoot it a lot - they just have to show it, so defenses have to respect the fact that they WILL shoot it and make it if they are left to shoot it ... Athens has shown me the most improvement so far if nothing else but through putting football behind them ... wow - didn't mean to ramble! maybe I should finish my thoughts and do a breakdown of Warren and Logan Elm as well LOL ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Nice rundown, Floyd! lol

I firmly believe football was a HUGE disadvantage for Athens and put them behind the 8-ball early on. They didn't even step onto the court until December.
But the improvements made by the Bulldogs is 2-fold. You're seeing a team transition into 'basketball form' - but you are also seeing a team/group of kids mature ... it's easy to forget we are talking about 1 FRESHMEN, 2 SOPHOMORES and 3 JUNIORS .. the ceiling for Athens seems to be a little higher due to the fact they are still growing and gaining more experience.

But on the flip side you have a mature, well oiled machine and group of seniors in Logan Elm ... and a Warren team with final-4 experience and 2 (what appear to be) grown men in Evan French and Reece Patton; to go along with the biggest player on any of the 3 teams in Michael Hall.

The trio of teams have different dynamics and a lot of positives going in their favor - which makes the D2 Logan sectional so fascinating. Darn it why do we only get 2 teams out this year?!?!? lol

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

outstanding unbiased recount on your thoughts on Athens, Pfloyd,no matter what the poers that be decide,when and if these three teams get off the board and put it on the floor it shall be very entertaining from the outside looking in.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I wouldn't be surprised to see any of those top three beat each other. There's so many things that can happen in one game with hot/cold shooting, foul trouble and a host of other things.

Logan Elm played a pretty impressive game last night against Bloom-Carroll, as did Athens against Valley. Should be very interesting down the stretch.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I know exactly how to decide ... 1. put numbers in a hat and draw ... 2. rock/paper/scissors ... 3. draw straws

If that doesn't work - we walk out to Alumni Stadium and the 3 coaches race in a 40-yard dash.

:)

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I like the 40-yard dash idea. That would be real interesting. Might need to have that broadcast, ala the coin flip in Friday Night Lights movie.

93Dog, are you guys doing the Athens-Warren game on the radio? Is the broadcast on-line, if you are?

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Post by BUCKEYES »

93Bulldog wrote:I know exactly how to decide ... 1. put numbers in a hat and draw ... 2. rock/paper/scissors ... 3. draw straws

If that doesn't work - we walk out to Alumni Stadium and the 3 coaches race in a 40-yard dash.

:)

If they were to decide it by the 40 yard dash that would be easy...I would bet on Stiverson in that one :122245

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

LOL ... I think 93Dog (Athens), bman (LE) and WarriorBlue (Warren) should race to decide. I like the 'Dogs chances in that one.

bman ... Are you serious? Athens-Warren on the radio? Come on now, of course!!!

1st) ALL Athens games are on 970wath.com (phone app available)
2nd) Warren game will also be on wxtq.com (phone app also available.)

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I'll have assistant coach Evan Blake substitute for me, otherwise Logan Elm might be seeded ninth in the sectional. Or I'll just beat the crap out of the other runners before the race and finish first. :122249 :122245

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote:LOL ... I think 93Dog (Athens), bman (LE) and WarriorBlue (Warren) should race to decide. I like the 'Dogs chances in that.)
How about an old fashioned game of 33? 93Dog, bman and WarriorBlue! I'll give 93Dog ball first but I'm telling you I'm bringing the D. Back in my day you had to play D to get on the floor. Coaches weren't as easily impressed with just athletic ability.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't why we are trying to come up with different ways to decide when we have the ol mighty 'Pfloyd Ouija board' at our disposal ... lol

Break out the board, Floyd - the top 3 seeds in the D2 Logan sectional is entirely up to you and your Ouija.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... as of 1/12/14 the top 3 seeds are in order ...

1. Logan Elm
2. Athens
3. Warren Local

... 3 weeks of action 3-4 weeks of "games that matter" (ALL of them!) ... Warren plays Columbus Desales on the 20th before playing Athens Tuesday night the 21st ... great stuff !!!!

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

93Bulldog wrote:television stations?

woub/pbs ... at the University.

that's the only thing I can think of.

danicalifornia - you may be right ... But the 67-57 loss by Athens to ASVSM is the most impressive performance thus far, IMO ... then to back it up with a win over Valley (10-2)? ... not a bad weekend for the 'Dogs ... :mrgreen:
It would be nice if Athens County games were televised on occasion; CGTV does a game of the week for the Pickaway County games.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

All Athens games are on Nelsonville TV cable ... every one of them, including girls games ... they are just not live. They usually come on about an hour or two after the games and are played several times.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”