Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 5

Post by 93Bulldog »

It's not just about wins/losses - but who you beat and who you lost to.

As of right now, Warren has every right to the No. 1 seed as Logan Elm ... but Athens and Warren play next Tuesday, which will tell us a whole lot.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Logan Elm played a great ballgame tonight against Bloom-Carroll.

Logan Elm 65,

Bloom-Carroll 44

BLOOM-CARROLL — Sorg 2-0-4; Swartz 1-0-2; Bachman 2-3-7; James 2-2-7; Schmitz 2-1-6; Laski 1-0-2; Manley 8-0-16. Three-point goals — James and Schmitz. Total — 18-45 6-11 44.

LOGAN ELM — D. Young 8-3-21; R. Young 3-0-7; Tyler 2-0-4; Thompson 4-1-9; Congrove 4-2-12; Artrip 4-1-12. Three-point goals — Artrip (3); Congrove (2); D. Young (2) and R. Young. Total — 25-43 7-12 65.

Quarter scores;1;2;3;4;F

Bloom-Carroll;13;10;12;9;44

Logan Elm;19;18;10;18;65

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:It's not just about wins/losses - but who you beat and who you lost to.

As of right now, Warren has every right to the No. 1 seed as Logan Elm ... but Athens and Warren play next Tuesday, which will tell us a whole lot.

And Logan Elm has the best win as of now.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

93Bulldog wrote:It's not just about wins/losses - but who you beat and who you lost to.

Bolded point- this is really a crucial thing to remember. But also remember that margin of victory can't be ignored as well.

Second point- Indeed it will. It would be a great game to see.

Which brings me to something else. Are there any television stations in Athens county?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

television stations?

woub/pbs ... at the University.

that's the only thing I can think of.

danicalifornia - you may be right ... But the 67-57 loss by Athens to ASVSM is the most impressive performance thus far, IMO ... then to back it up with a win over Valley (10-2)? ... not a bad weekend for the 'Dogs ... :mrgreen:

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Post by BUCKEYES »

Let me see if I get this straight...If because Athens lost to a very good team (Akron St.Vincent) they deserve the one seed over a Logan Elm team that beat them on their home court.....hmmm! When its all said and done Athens may beat LE on neutral court come time for the playoffs, but seriously you have to win games especially in head to head match ups to earn the one seed. If LE wins out they deserve the one seed...even over an Athens team that loses games to teams with D1 recruits.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BUCKEYES wrote:Let me see if I get this straight...If because Athens lost to a very good team (Akron St.Vincent) they deserve the one seed over a Logan Elm team that beat them on their home court.....hmmm! When its all said and done Athens may beat LE on neutral court come time for the playoffs, but seriously you have to win games especially in head to head match ups to earn the one seed. If LE wins out they deserve the one seed...even over an Athens team that loses games to teams with D1 recruits.
I didn't say Athens deserved the #1 seed anywhere.

If you go back and read, I said WARREN has every right to the No. 1 seed as Logan Elm right now.

Don't go putting words in my mouth now ... :-)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

In case you missed this post.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm not sure how much emphasis is going to be put on a 60-59 game that took place in December come February when they meet up in Jackson. A 1-point game doesn't really tell a whole lot. I can't definitely say Logan Elm is better than Athens, just like I can't definitely say Athens is better than Logan Elm now. A 1-point game pretty much says they are pretty darn equal - which means they will have to look at the entire body of work and how they played down the stretch. Which is exactly what the selection committee does when choosing the 64 teams for the NCAA tournament. I have seen numerous times where team A beat team B early in the season - but team B still earned the No. 1 seed - it happens all the time.

But if Logan Elm goes 21-1, I think that will actually carry more weight than the 60-59 game on Dec. 14th. It will be the Braves 'total body of work' that will speak volume.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Dog, are you going to have to get your wheels tuned up after all the frequent driver miles? :122249

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:93Dog, are you going to have to get your wheels tuned up after all the frequent driver miles? :122249
3 hours Friday to Akron - 3 hours back to Athens - 2 hours to Chesapeake Saturday - 2 hours back to Athens ... heck bman, I'd drive to Toledo tomorrow for a game if we had one ... lol

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

bman wrote:Sorry 93Dog, but when records are submitted for the draw December games do count. I know if the shoe was on the other foot, Athens folks would be holding up the head-to-head win.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Sounds like LE fans don't want ANY part of Athens 2.0 or my Warriors!

93Dog you are EXACATLY right when you said teams are seeded based on a body of work. Teams get beat early on and then get a higher seed. In 2010 my son played for Belpre. They beat Alexander twice, once 2 days before the draw, had a better record but when the coaches walked out of the seeding room Alexander was the higher seed.
As a Warrior fan I'm confident in our team. With the schedule our kids have played they'll be ready for whom ever they play.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I'd say Logan Elm fans want the respect that having one loss against a tough schedule so far should bring. When folks are posting a four-or-five loss Athens team should get the No. 1 over a one-loss Logan Elm team, that's a little absurd. Then there is the fact that folks are acting like Logan Elm's win over Athens on its home court shouldn't count for much.

Even if Logan Elm does get the No. 1 and doesn't have to play a Warren or Athens until districts, if LE makes it there, they'll still have to go against a pretty athletic Sheridan lineup or a solid program like Vinton County. It's not like Logan Elm would have a layup to districts by any means.

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Post by BUCKEYES »

WarriorBlue wrote:
bman wrote:Sorry 93Dog, but when records are submitted for the draw December games do count. I know if the shoe was on the other foot, Athens folks would be holding up the head-to-head win.

93Dog you are EXACATLY right when you said teams are seeded based on a body of work. Teams get beat early on and then get a higher seed. In 2010 my son played for Belpre. They beat Alexander twice, once 2 days before the draw, had a better record but when the coaches walked out of the seeding room Alexander was the higher seed.
As a Warrior fan I'm confident in our team. With the schedule our kids have played they'll be ready for whom ever they play.
Like bman said respect has and continues to be earned by LE and if they continue to win their games they deserve the one spot. I haven't even seen Warren play this year so how can I judge how good they are. I have seen Athens and they are very good, but they did lose on their home court to LE. I suppose LE dismantling Bloom Carroll last night by 21 don't amount to much either, due to Schmitz only being back a couple games. I highly doubt LE fans or their team will be intimidated by Warren or Athens WarriorBlue....

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

BUCKEYES wrote:
WarriorBlue wrote:

Like bman said respect has and continues to be earned by LE and if they continue to win their games they deserve the one spot. I haven't even seen Warren play this year so how can I judge how good they are. I have seen Athens and they are very good, but they did lose on their home court to LE. I suppose LE dismantling Bloom Carroll last night by 21 don't amount to much either, due to Schmitz only being back a couple games. I highly doubt LE fans or their team will be intimidated by Warren or Athens WarriorBlue....
Nobody said ANYTHING about being intimidated. I just think a month b4 seeding it's not a lock for LE to get that #1 seed. Warren has 3 losses. One to a top 5 AAA school in WV on a last second tip in and one to the BEST DII team in Ohio on their home floor. Athens may have lost to LE in December but come Febuary I believe they would beat LE.
As far as the districts well sorry to bust your bubble but Vinton Co is in the same sectional as LE. They'd have to beat a LE , Warren or Athens to advance. The team that wins the #1 & #2 seed games will play Southeastern #1 & #2 seed winners. #1 winner from Logan sectional plays #2 winner from Southeastern. #2 Logan winner gets #1 winner from Southeastern.
Maybe if Athens losses another game maybe they slide to #4 at Logan then the whole thing can be settled with a rematch between Athens/LE.
That's what I was mainly referring to. I don't believe LE FANS wanna play either Athens or Warren at the Logan sectional.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

In December Athens still had some of those football muscle tight.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Keep in mind folks, RECORDS won't count for everything. Athens in 2009/2010 was 19-1 and WAS NOT given the #1 seed. Logan Elm sited 'strength of schedule', total body of work as being more impressive and was awarded the 1 seed.

Athens landed in the 2 spot and lost to No. 3 warren in the sectional finals.

While 21-1 would be very impressive (but they won't be 21-1 at the draw, it takes place before all games are played) - the 1-loss will not be the determining factor. You can't say 'records' is not the most important thing in 2009/2010 - then come back in 2013/2014 and say it is. Like the old adage says: you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The game between Athens and Warren is still HUGE on Jan. 21st. If Warren beats an Athens team that is clearly much better than they were at the beginning of the year when Logan Elm played them - they have a legitimate claim to the 1.

On a personal note: I have seen Warren, Athens and Logan Elm play and I think the Warriors have a very slim edge over both at this point. They look and do all the things Logan Elm does in terms of team play and ball movement - but their front line is 6'6, 6'4 and 6'3 with Hall, Patton and French. It is impressive to watch the Braves and Warriors play because I am a huge fan of 'team oriented' offenses and great 'ball movement' and that's what they do well - but Warren does it with BIG players who are just as athletic as LE. And lets not forget, that front line led the Warriors to a district, regional title and a state finals appearance last year.

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Post by SOHSP »

Does anyone know exactly when the tournament draw and seeding takes place?

Also, could I get a Seeding 101? How is the speeding selected? Do the teams in the sectional vote and if so, is it the head coaches or the ADs? Thanks a bunch!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Head coaches gather at Jackson high school ... each sectional goes to their own room ... and voting takes place. (i.e. all 9 Division II head coaches for the Logan sectional will determine their own seeding.)

Draw will probably take place Feb. 9th - but I'm not 100% on that.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:Head coaches gather at Jackson high school ... each sectional goes to their own room ... and voting takes place. (i.e. all 9 Division II head coaches for the Logan sectional will determine their own seeding.)

Draw will probably take place Feb. 9th - but I'm not 100% on that.
You're right, it's a week before the last week of the season. Most teams will have 20 games played by that point.

There is still room for a bunch of movement before then.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”