Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Editio

Post by 93Bulldog »

Well ... I went down to the Convo Floyd, pitched a tent and was planning to stay the week in anticipation for the upcoming games ... But darn it, they said I had to leave!

Perhaps I'll sneak into one of the equipment rooms and find me a nice cozy corner to curl up in until Thursday.

Which by the way is OPENING NIGHT FLOYD!!!!

D-IV girls - March 3rd:

Eastern Meigs vs Portsmouth Clay 6:15
Waterford vs Notre Dame 8:00

Your always leaving out the gals Floyd ... Shame on you!

I must admit ... I will in fact be in attendence for Thursday's games ... I want to see the Freshmen from Eastern (which by the way I compared to the early 90's Logan teams Floyd - perhaps you need to go check em out to see if I am way off base here ... lol)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

2011 Southeast District and OHSAA Regional Tournament Calendar
Ohio University – Convocation Center

DATE: DIVISION TIME

March 4th Boys DII Semi-Finals 6:15 & 8:00

March 5th Boys DIII Semi-Finals 7:30 & 9:15

March 6th Boys DIII Semi-Finals 2:00, 3:45, 5:30 & 7:15

March 7th Boys DIV Semi-Finals 6:15 & 8:00

March 10th Boys DIV Semi-Finals 6:15 & 8:00

March 11th Boys DII Final 7:00

March 12th Boys DIV Final 10:30 & 12:30

*****Will clear the arena*******

Boys DIII Final 5:00, 7:00 & 9:00

March 15th Boys DIV REGIONAL Semi 7:00

March 16th Boys DIII REGIONAL Semi 6:15 & 8:00

March 17th Boys DII REGIONAL Semi 6:15 & 8:00

March 19th Boys DII REGIONAL Final 3:00
(clear the gym)
Boys DIII REGIONAL Final 7:30

... all information above thanks to socfan ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... will get my first looks at these teams tomorrow night at the Wellston Sectional:

3/01 Tuesday @ Wellston Sectional

Symmes Valley vs South Gallia 6:15pm
Waterford vs Eastern Pike 8:00 pm

... looking forward to gathering some "napkin stats" on the games and an "eyes on" look at each of these teams ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

TUESDAY
Boys Tournament Basketball
Division 4 Sectional Finals @ Valley HS

Leesburg Fairfield 58
Portsmouth Clay 48

Whiteoak 65 2 OT
Green 58

Division 4 Sectional Finals @ HS

Symmes Valley 37
South Gallia 39

Eastern Pike 58
Waterford 46

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think they said Whiteoak will play on March 9th?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

WEDNESDAY
Boys Tournament Basketball
Division 4 Sectional Finals @ Valley HS

Manchester
Sciotoville

South Webster
Portsmouth Notre Dame

Division 4 Sectional Finals @ Wellston HS

Eastern Meigs
Ironton Saint Joseph

Trimble
Racine Southern

RiverValley93
Riding the Bench

Post by RiverValley93 »

South Gallia Rebels came to play defense last night. Forced Symmes Valley into some crazy shots.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... looking forward to seeing South Gallia take on WhiteOak at the Convo ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

"O".......ugh!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... WHITEoAK ! woot! woot!! LOL

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

winners tonight at Valley

Manchester defeats east

south webster defeats Portsmouth Notre Dame 59-33

dont remember scores neither game was close

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

manchester won 60-37

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... can't find a BETTER game to tip off Basketball Thirty 2011 at the Convo ... Lou "the legend" Horvath will kick things off calling a great matchup between Logan Elm and Chillicothe followed by Waverly vs the Warren Warriors ... looking forward to viewing both from the best Cheap Seats in Southern/Southeastern Ohio in the Convo on the OU Campus ... just penciled in the lineups, will have rundowns of both games tonight WITH!!! the usual "pfloyd napkin stats" ... best of luck to both teams!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... hopefully SEO "stat man" Sportfolio will be in attendance to hand out the open game "information sheets" along Press Row...

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

pfloyd 7 of your elite 8 are still playing, thats not bad. It looks like two of the elite 8 will be challenged tonight. I am looking forward to the Chillicothe-Logan Elm match-up.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Grinder sometimes that old Ouija Board "get's it right" LOL ... it's always great to watch Coach Stiverson's Braves in action - LE knows how to play the game the right way starting with Defense, the transition game with offense out of the D, patience on offense in the half court-gets them good looks while limiting their opponents possessions on offense sort of that "defense while on offense theory" LOL ... about to time to get ready to roll down Rt. 33 ... everyone be safe in their travels to Basketball Thirty not only tonight but in the upcoming weekend of hoops in A'town as well ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great game last night between two good ball clubs... one - the Warren Warriors bringing 9 players to the floor getting offensive production from 7 of the 9 ... Waverly playing 7 out of necessity with 4 players contributing on the offensive end ... Defense WINS in the post season - Warren brought the kitchen sink and more at the defensive end as the Warrior pressure got both the early lead for the Blue in the 1st quarter of action AND got them back in it in the 3rd (as quoted/paraphrased from another poster "the ability to play a second team with the same or more intensity as the first team is a great luxury - the Blue have THAT luxury) ... Warren's 2nd team was THE deciding factors in this - GREAT defense by Knost on Kretzer (only 6 points in the 2nd half), Knost/ Henthorn/ Ward/Winalnd kept the pressure going that was put on by Hastie/Cunningham/Venham forcing Waverly into 5 crucial TOs in the deciding 3rd quarter of play ... Warren 40 Waverly 35 after three ... the final quarter as always came down to defense and FT shooting - Warren held the Tigers scoreless in the 4th frame for almost 4 minutes (a Martin FT with 4:24 to play broke the dry spell) ... the Orange & Black was forced into fouling to get the ball and in hopes that Warren would continue it's anemic FT shooting (Blue went 10/16 from the line in the 4th) ... Waverly put Martin BACK in the game with his 4 fouls at the 7:49 mark trailing 35-42 (Martin fouls WERE the KEY factor in this one as Martin picked up foul number 4 with 4:45 remaining in the 3rd Tigers up 35-27 the Tigers did not score the rest of the 3rd - a 13-0 run by Warren to close the third - Martin on the bench ... as I posted the Orange and Black started the 4th WITH Martin in the game for most of the scoreless 3:36 of 4th = Warren D shutout the Tigers for 6 minutes 51 seconds(3rd & 4th scoreless streaks combined) while Warren went on a 15-0 run) ... Warren 58 Waverly 48 a final ...

... pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Waverly ...

Scoring ... Harrison Martin 21, Kretzer 18, Taylor Ward 4, Kelly 5

3 Pointers ... 1/11 ... Kretzer 1

FTs ... 15/26

TOs ... surprisingly only 12 on the game ...

... pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Grant Venham 17, Austin Cunningham 17, Jeremy Hastie 9, Josh Winland 6, Jace Knost 4, Dylan Leffingwell 2, Tyler Ward 1 ...

3 pointers ... 4/9 ... Hastie 2, Cunningham 2

FTs ... 16/30 ...

TOs ... 10

... a few pfloyd imo's ... to pick up W's in the post season a team needs at least 3 scorers - Warren has the 2 headed monster of Venham/Cunningham ... last night the BIGGEST points came from Jeremy Hastie (2 gigantic 3balls in the 3rd) ... to pick up W's in the post season a team needs DEFENSE - this doesn't translate into turnovers all the time ... it is reflected in the "rhythm" or in the case of the defense "breaking up of the rhythm" of your opponent - the Blue ran 9 players interchangeably throughout this one "as the rule" not by necessity due to fouls etc. - "rhythm interruptus" vs Waverly in quarters 3 & 4 ... some guarantees from here on out - Warren WILL see all types of zones forcing the Warriors to prove they can win from the perimeter ... Warren WILL have to knockdown more than last nights 16/30 FT's to continue to advance ... the one and done season requires 4 quarters of solid/no letdown defense on the perimeter AND in the paint to advance not 2 quarters ... opponents at this point of the competition ALL know what YOU know (defense wins etc) - it comes down to which TEAM executes better for more of the 32 minutes than the opponent ... got to win "execution minutes" ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great crowds last night for both the Logan Elm vs Chillicothe opener and the Warren vs Waverly night cap ... saw OSU great/Dayton Belmont great Bill Hosket in attendance last night for the games , a boat load of coaches taking in the game notables scouting wise Zanesville head man Coach Aronhalt and staff along press row led the lineup ... former mentors Logan's Gary Swinehart & Gallia Academy's Coach Osborne were in the Cheap Seats taking in the action , Greenfield McClain legend Coach Rick VanMetre as well ... great stuff ...

... the great crowds also have to be partly due to the "aura" of "Basketball Thirty at the Convo" created by the voice of the Convo Lou Horvath ... he is as much a legend as those coaches I mentioned ... I know that as a fan of the game - hearing the games called by Lou for Basketball Thirty is what the post season in Southern/Southeastern Ohio hoops is all about - THAT is great stuff ... IF you have followed high basketball "at all" Lou's "here at the Convo you don't need to know what time it is - we'll tell you what time it is - it's! Basketball Thirty !!!! is as much a part of the post season as the tip off ... thanks Lou for making the Convo the Mecca for high school hoops every single season ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Uh, this is how it actually sounded last night Floyd ...

"Pfloyd wrote down on a napkin somewhere - you don't have to look at your watch to know what time it is - its basketball thirty here at the Convo!."

lol

I about fell out of my seat - truly funny.

Last night WAS a great atmosphere for sure ... I thought it was a very nice crowd on hand, especially about 6:00 minutes to go in the first game - the crowd seemed to be at its peak.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... "nice" is a "nice" term 93dog ... some might even say it was a large crowd - they would ONLY say that had they NOT been to the Vinton County vs Greenfield McClain match-up during Donte' Jackson's freshman year -THAT was a BIG crowd!!!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”