Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Preseason 13-14

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Preseason 1

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote:Hey now Warrior Blue ... doesn't matter how many you give up so long as you score more. lol

GAME IS IN LOGAN!!!

Curious if I'll see Pfloyd and Mrs. Floyd in the stands, cuddled up together underneath the purple blanket, Friday night?

:)
Maybe they'll let me squeeze in the middle since I get so cold easy :)

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Ready for hoops. Only 18 days until the ZT Tip-Off Classic.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Anybody have season schedules thus far? Thanks.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Piketon

11/29/2013 Friday Basketball V Boys Away 6:00 PM [ZANE TRACE TIP-OFF CLASSIC]
12/6/2013 Friday Basketball V Boys Away 7:30 PM @ WESTFALL
12/7/2013 Saturday Basketball V Boys Home 7:30 PM VS. PAINT VALLEY
12/10/2013 Tuesday Basketball V Boys Home 7:30 PM VS. VALLEY
12/13/2013 Friday Basketball V Boys Home 7:30 PM VS. ADENA
12/14/2013 Saturday Basketball V Boys Away 7:00 PM @ UNIOTO
12/17/2013 Tuesday Basketball V Boys Away 7:45 PM @ SOUTHEASTERN
12/27/2013 Friday Basketball V Boys Away 6:00 PM Pike County Classic
12/28/2013 Saturday Basketball V Boys Away 6:00 PM Pike County Classic
1/3/2014 Friday Basketball V Boys Home 7:30 PM VS. ZANE TRACE
1/4/2014 Saturday Basketball V Boys Home 7:30 PM VS. VINTON COUNTY
1/10/2014 Friday Basketball V Boys Away 7:00 PM @ HUNTINGTON
1/11/2014 Saturday Basketball V Boys Away 7:30 PM @ PORTSMOUTH
1/14/2014 Tuesday Basketball V Boys Home 7:30 PM VS. MANCHESTER
1/17/2014 Friday Basketball V Boys Home 7:30 PM VS. WESTFALL
1/18/2014 Saturday Basketball V Boys Away 7:30 PM @ PAINT VALLEY
1/24/2014 Friday Basketball V Boys Away 7:15 PM @ ADENA
1/25/2014 Saturday Basketball V Boys Home 7:30 PM VS. UNIOTO
1/31/2014 Friday Basketball V Boys Home 7:30 PM VS. SOUTHEASTERN
2/7/2014 Friday Basketball V Boys Away 7:15 PM @ ZANE TRACE
2/14/2014 Friday Basketball V Boys Home 7:30 PM VS. HUNTINGTON
2/15/2014 Saturday Basketball V Boys Away 8:00 PM @ PEEBLES

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Oak Hill

11/16/2013 Saturday Away 10:00 AM @ VINTON COUNTY (scrimmage)
11/23/2013 Saturday Away 7:30 PM @ GALLIA ACAD. (Foundation Game)
11/26/2013 Tuesday Home 6:00 PM VS. SOUTH POINT (scrimmage)
11/30/2013 Saturday Home 6:00 PM VS. EASTERN
12/6/2013 Friday Away 6:00 PM @ SOUTH WEBSTER
12/10/2013 Tuesday Away 6:00 PM @ SYMMES VALLEY
12/13/2013 Friday Home 6:00 PM VS. NORTHWEST
12/14/2013 Saturday Rio Grande 4:00 PM VS. RIVER VALLEY
12/17/2013 Tuesday Home 6:00 PM VS. WAVERLY
12/20/2013 Friday Away 6:00 PM @ VALLEY
12/27/2013 Friday Home 6:00 PM VS. ROCK HILL
1/3/2014 Friday Away 6:00 PM @ WHEELERSBURG
1/7/2014 Tuesday Home 6:00 PM VS. MINFORD
1/10/2014 Friday Away 6:00 PM @ PORTSMOUTH WEST
1/14/2014 Tuesday Home 6:00 PM VS. SOUTH WEBSTER
1/17/2014 Friday Away 6:00 PM @ NORTHWEST
1/19/2014 Sunday North Canton 2:00 PM VS. MALVERN (MERCY MEDICAL CLASSIC)
1/21/2014 Tuesday Away 6:00 PM @ WELLSTON
1/24/2014 Friday Away 6:00 PM @ WAVERLY
1/28/2014 Tuesday Home 6:00 PM VS. VALLEY
1/31/2014 Friday Home 6:00 PM VS. WHEELERSBURG
2/4/2014 Tuesday Home 6:00 PM VS. ALEXANDER
2/7/2014 Friday Away 6:00 PM @ MINFORD
2/14/2014 Friday Home 6:00 PM VS. PORTSMOUTH WEST
2/15/2014 Saturday Home 4:00 PM VS. St Joseph Central Catholic (WV)

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

It looks like my Valley Indians are going to be tested according to Mr. Floyd. Of our 8 non league games, 3 will be against the preseason Top 8 including the top 2. Valley will play 5 of the top 25 in their non league schedule. They will play half their games (11) against the top 28. I think this is great for a team that is ready, and needs to take the next step.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Got a pretty good look at Coach Collins' team tonight and I think they will crack the Elite 8 and have a shot at a nice tourney run if they stay healthy. Great ball pressure, a little undersized, but the pressure helps that a ton. Kyre Allison is outstanding and if Lisath shoots all year like he did tonight, watch out!

I believe Portsmouth went 3-2 in quarters tonight with Unioto and Coach Lisath's Dayton Northridge squad, but the last quarter with Unioto was with their backups for the most part.

Unioto goes 4-1-1 and was much better after the 1st 2 quarters. A big improvement from their opening scrimmage with Canal Winchester (where they won 5 of 7) in overall play and defense.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Piketon at Washington CH last night in a scrimmage with Greeneview Jamestown. The Streaks starting to find themselves after losing 6 to graduation.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

danicalifornia: Good assessment of the Trojans.......I've said since the summer that rebounding will be the difference between a good season for PHS and a very good season.......I really liked the ball pressure that we applied to both Unioto and Northridge. Lisath shooting the ball like that is no accident, he probably is the most consistent perimeter shooter on the team. Allison is tough to defend off the dribble, and his defense is underrated. The thing that really excited me was the play of freshman Kendall Reynolds (with the goggles). I think he will make a big impact on the success of the Trojans.......he's long, athletic(about 6-3), can play defense, score, handle the ball and is fearless........and he seems to blend in well on the court with his teammates.

I think Unioto has a nice team, and so did Northridge, whom we played during the summer at the Bannon Park Classic. The Shermans have a nice mix of size, athleticism, guards that can shoot, and depth. Definitely will be in the running for the SVC title.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I think the "Mighty" Minford Falcons will be just fine until the big man returns in January. They competed very well with Warren and Unioto tonight. I believe Warren took both of their quarters with them and Unioto took 2 of 3, but they are still a talented group.

I was very pleased with how the Shermans looked tonight, winning 5 of 7 quarters against the Warriors and Falcons tonight, with a variety of new faces playing well. Erique Hosley showed the ability to be a big time stopper, as his matchup with Evan French was fun to watch. Alek Adkins showed the ability to score in bunches off the bench as well. All 11 members of the Shermans varsity made good contributions tonight, which I'm sure made Coach Hoops very happy going forward.

I'll let WarriorBlue give his thoughts (if he made the long haul) but the Warriors will be very good again this season IMO. Once the newbies get their feet wet, it looks like they will be able to fill the voids very well.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... daniC what is the reason for Minford's McCray not being able to play until January? ... thank you so much for the Unioto rundown! I am excited to see the Sherman's in action this season, sounds like they went toe to toe with the Warren ball club AND did "just fine" ... nothing like UHS being able to go deep into the bench with quality players who can get it done at both ends of the floor ... I'll be seeing Coach Hoops' Sherman multiple times this season for sure ... I'd tell you what I know about the Logan squad BUT nothing - I bumped into a LHS coach at the store the other day, asked about how they did in their first scrimmage ... was asked if "this" was off the record ? seriously? I decided right there and then that I wouldn't be posting about the Purple this season other than scores which is too bad as the Chieftains have a big time player in Kevin Fisher at 6-8 ... anyway daniC hope to run into you this season! - best of luck to Coach Hoops and the Shermans ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... less than 2 weeks from "SHOW TIME" !!! Zane Trace Tip Off classic Nov. 29th ALL DAY followed by the Coach Young Classic at North Adams on the 30th ALL DAY ... heck I'm psyched to see the Shriners Preview in Athens on the 26th !!! - Life is Good ... have been without internet at the new house for a week and a half! but now the Purple Hippo has been unleashed !!! let the games begin !!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote:... daniC what is the reason for Minford's McCray not being able to play until January? ... thank you so much for the Unioto rundown! I am excited to see the Sherman's in action this season, sounds like they went toe to toe with the Warren ball club AND did "just fine" ... nothing like UHS being able to go deep into the bench with quality players who can get it done at both ends of the floor ... I'll be seeing Coach Hoops' Sherman multiple times this season for sure ... I'd tell you what I know about the Logan squad BUT nothing - I bumped into a LHS coach at the store the other day, asked about how they did in their first scrimmage ... was asked if "this" was off the record ? seriously? I decided right there and then that I wouldn't be posting about the Purple this season other than scores which is too bad as the Chieftains have a big time player in Kevin Fisher at 6-8 ... anyway daniC hope to run into you this season! - best of luck to Coach Hoops and the Shermans ...

McCray's hand was in some sort of brace, but on the Minford thread, someone mentioned he could be back sooner rather than later.

Evan French also looks nearly unguardable at times now. Hosley did a great job on him, but Evan is just smooth whenever he does decide to go to the hoop. Must be nice to have that automatic jumper as a fall back lol

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I'll be at Zane Trace for most of the day pfloyd covering the Westfall, LE and Amanda games so I'll have to come up to the cheap seats and chat with you a little bit between the Westfall and LE games.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... absolutely bman it should be a great day/evening of hoops down Rt 180 ... looking forward to it ...

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Made the long haul to Chilly Friday night to watch 3 of the best teams in SE Ohio get after it. Saw some good things from each team. Warren came out flat and proptly lost the first 2 quarters. Coach Maddox took the Warriors to the locker room and when they came back out they brought the defense with them and things began to fall into place. After 4 quarters of action Unioto held a 64-60 advantage. With all the offense that Warren has people tend to 4get that Defense comes first in Warriorland. A lot of what the Warriors do comes from outstanding defense.
Evan French and Michael Hall both showed new wrinkles to their game. French showed the ability and desire to get to the rim and score. The West Liberty signee wasn't settling for jump shots all the time but rather creating off the bounce getting into the paint and to the free throw line. Hall was much more active around the rim. He showed his offense in the paint has grown light years. Almost EVERYTIME he got the ball in the paint he either scored or was fouled or both. Hall has also stretched his range as he hit several 3's from beyond NBA range.

Hosely and #44 are both nice players for the Sherman's. Hosely can defend any position on the floor and #44 was lights out from beyond the arc. Unioto has several nice players are and are no doubt a favorite to get to the Convo from the Southeastern sectional.

Against Minford the Warriors held a 39-27 advantage after 2 quarters of action. Playing different combinations and lineups Warren showed they can go big with Hall, French and Patton at the guard spots or small with 2 smaller guards Kidder and Henthorn. Prolly the best on ball defender the Warriors have Aaron Mazurkiewicz, is still recovering from a concussion and didn't play.

GO BIG BAD BLUE!
Last edited by WarriorBlue on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

2013-14 GAHS basketball schedules
(Varsity and JVs)
Date—Opponent Location
Nov. 23—Oak Hill H
(Foundation game)
Nov. 30—Fairland A
Dec. 6—Warren Local H
Dec. 7—Chesapeake H
Dec. 13—Pt. Pleasant A
Dec. 14—Tolsia, W. Va., at URG
Dec. 17—Lincoln County, Ky. H
Dec. 21--Jackson A
Dec. 27—Meigs A
Dec. 30—Rock Hill H
Jan. 3—Logan A
Jan. 4—Eastern A
Jan. 7—Wellston H
Jan. 10—Portsmouth H
Jan. 14—Ironton H
Jan. 17—Warren Local A
Jan. 18—River Valley H
Jan. 24—Pt. Pleasant H
Jan. 28—Chesapeake A
Feb. 1—Jackson H
Feb. 7—Logan H
Feb. 11—Vinton County A
Feb. 14—Portsmouth A
Pfloyd...I've got six area schedules thus farr--Gallia, Fairland, Ironton, Wheelersburg, Piketon and Oak Hill.

Still need other GAHS opponents:
Meigs, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Meigs Eastern, Wellston, Vinton County,Warren Local, Logan,Portsmouth and Jackson. If u have any, would appreciate copies. Thanks, Hobe.

PS--Blue Devils have scrimmaged South Webster and Marietta. Looked fair against South Webster and vs. Marietta this a.m., held tough but only won two of seven quarters. Got a lot of young players (mostly sophomores). Two varsity starters out with football injuries--Reid Eastman and Wes Jarrell. Both may be cleared to start pratice on Monday. Understand Logan had a big guy move in this fall. Should give the Chiefs a big lift.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... jottings - I haven't got the Logan schedule in front of me but I will get it for you for sure in the next day or so ... looking forward to your insight/information on the Blue Devils and their opponents again this season ... I DO KNOW that Logan doesn't play it's first game until Dec. 10th !!! vs Lancaster ... as you posted Logan does have some size in the paint this season with the addition of 6-8 junior Kevin Fisher ... he's the real deal inside and outside game, plays above the rim, and is a GREAT kid - works very hard on his game in the off season - AAU, individual position camps, he practices by himself in season/off season shooting/timed running ... the Fisher WILL make the other Logan players better with his work ethic ... looking forward to seeing the Purple on the hardwood once the season tips off ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

With the Tomcats winning Saturday - I will miss my first Shriners preview in years next weekend!!!!

Arrrgghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

:(

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... gotcha covered 93dog I'll grab you a "program" !!! ... can I have your seat on press row ? :mrgreen:

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”