Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Final Editi

Post by pfloyd »

... Just checking out the roads at 10am this morning - all of the main roads are good here in Hocking County in particular Rt.33 and Rt 328 leading out to the high school ... with temps to get near 50 by 3pm it should be good to go for tonight's Logan Sectional action ...

... skidaddy on the Vinton Co vs FU thread asked about time between games as they are clearing the gym - I asked Logan's AD Ron Janey about it - he said yes they are clearing the gym, he foresees 30 minutes to clear the gym/and begin admitting for the 2nd game ... skidaddy asked about purchasing tickets prior to the VC/FU folks being able to get in the gym (i.e.. buy the ticket then getting in line to get in) - I assume that you will be able to do that- I'm guessing they will start selling tickets to the VC/FU game in the 4th quarter of the first game , they just won't be taking tickets at the door to allow fans to enter the gym - don't hold me to that skidaddy only a guess on my part ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I hate to say this ... but by NOT allowing a person/fan to purchase one ticket just screws the 'true basketball fan' who wants to see the games ... the Athens/Gallia contingent will buy their ticket, watch the 1st game and leave ... the VC/FFU folks will buy their ticket, watch the 2nd game and leave ... no matter how you slice-and-dice it, the OHSAA is still going to sell, lets say, 500 tix for the 1st game, 500 tix for the 2nd ... there is probably only around 20-25 people who will (or want to) just come and watch both games as fans ... 20 people x $5.00 = $100 ... for an extra hundred bucks, by clearing the gym - a lot of good loyal fans from Athens/Gallia will NOT be able to/want to stick around for the 2nd contest of the night.

I just don't get it ... charge an extra 50 cents for a hotdog or something to make that $100 up ... lol ...

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Aren't tickets 8 bucks for sectionals bulldog?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

o.k. so charge an extra extra dollar for hotdogs.

:)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Charging twice?

I bet that was a scheme to help fund Pfloyds crooked empire up in Logan!

Ponzi - Pfloyd ... sounds about the same ...

:)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... at least their not charging for parking ! ... heck I'm excited just to get hold of the Sectional "program" tonight ! LOL ... I went in this morning and put my "purple" blanket down in the Cheap Seats to save my seat for tonight's games !!! :mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Since we're covering the game - and arriving early - I"ll be sure to move that 'purple' blanket ................................... to the garbage can.

I can't have a 'purple-eye-sore' right in front of me while broadcasting the game - it would totally screw up my 'radio mojo' ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:Charging twice?
I bet that was a scheme to help fund Pfloyds crooked empire up in Logan!
Ponzi - Pfloyd ... sounds about the same ... :)
... got me 93dog ... look it up on Wikipedia "Heads of Mafia families : Gambino, Genovese, Lucchese, Colombo, Bonanno, Pfloyd the Don ..."

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Pfloyd...I can't remember what I did last year for a tourney spot. Tried to get in touch with Ron. Our AD was gonna check about stat people. Family is coming. Looks like it's gonna be $8 for me and family tonight.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... jottings - you have an "in" with Ron Janey ( he who bleeds both Blue and Purple LOL) right! ... he'll take care of you won't he? ...

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

Dundas wrote:Aren't tickets 8 bucks for sectionals bulldog?
Tickets are 8 bucks for the regionals and you get to watch two games. Shouldn't be 8 for sectionals or districts.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:... got me 93dog ... look it up on Wikipedia "Heads of Mafia families : Gambino, Genovese, Lucchese, Colombo, Bonanno, Pfloyd the Don
come to think of it ... you do kinda look like a 'little Italian mob-boss' ... the dark oily hair - dangling out the back of an old faded golf hat ... lol ... great disguise my friend.

BTW ... we'll be sure to bring a 3rd headset tonight - an interview with 'The Don' during halftime would be priceless ... the number of 970 WATH listeners would probably double - maybe even triple.

:mrgreen:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote:
pfloyd wrote:...93dog since you will be doing broadcasts at the Convo it will be NO PROBLEMO for you to make 2 copies of lineups, and/or information sheets on the teams you will doing the game for !!!! - it's all good !!!
hey, no problem Floyd ... just move Miller up the list a little - and you got a deal ... :mrgreen:

I92 ... feel free to jump in and add some 'basketball insight' my friend ... how's the Ironmen looking this year? They have a chance at making the Convo? ........ lol

Everyone thinks making fun of Jackson basketball bothers me. Lol

I have something you'd LOVE to hear....but I'm not going to spill it until it happens.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote:I hate to say this ... but by NOT allowing a person/fan to purchase one ticket just screws the 'true basketball fan' who wants to see the games ... the Athens/Gallia contingent will buy their ticket, watch the 1st game and leave ... the VC/FFU folks will buy their ticket, watch the 2nd game and leave ... no matter how you slice-and-dice it, the OHSAA is still going to sell, lets say, 500 tix for the 1st game, 500 tix for the 2nd ... there is probably only around 20-25 people who will (or want to) just come and watch both games as fans ... 20 people x $5.00 = $100 ... for an extra hundred bucks, by clearing the gym - a lot of good loyal fans from Athens/Gallia will NOT be able to/want to stick around for the 2nd contest of the night.

I just don't get it ... charge an extra 50 cents for a hotdog or something to make that $100 up ... lol ...

I've not read everything so I may be off base....but OHSAA doesn't get anything from concessions....or parking.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

They have to clear the gyms or the people from game 1 would likely not leave their premium seats and fans for game 2 would be more spread out. And man, I'm glad I go to the SE sectional where it's packed...the last three years the Unioto/Chillicothe games and Unioto/Circleville have either been sold out or standing room only (2000 seats) and I can remember various others where it's nearly impossible to find a seat and those atmospheres are amazing.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I92 is right about the concessions/parking BOTH untouchable by the OHSAA (as amazing as THAT is - hard to believe ANYTHING is out of the Godfather's reach) ... nothing better in sport than SRO at a high stakes high school basketball game ... nothing WORSE than a high stakes high school basketball game that should be a sell out but isn't ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote:I92 is right about the concessions/parking BOTH untouchable by the OHSAA (as amazing as THAT is - hard to believe ANYTHING is out of the Godfather's reach) ... nothing better in sport than SRO at a high stakes high school basketball game ... nothing WORSE than a high stakes high school basketball game that should be a sell out but isn't ...

I agree 100%. Big crowds and atmospheres lead to big moments for the players (who it should always be about)

One of my top 3 moments of this season was watching the Adena kids adjust and thrive off playing in front of a packed house at Unioto a couple weeks back. You could tell early that they have never been in an environment like that previously, them once they got used to it a bit, turned up their game to play at a level for that crowd.

Should be a big crowd for McClain vs Unioto tonight. Both bring big crowds for home games and tournament games.

Since the series restarted in 01-02, McClain has won every matchup, including 2 tournament games, which makes them 14-0 against their purple and gold counterparts. Unioto also has not been to the Convo since 2001 and not won a game their since 1995 (Coach Hoops' junior year).

Another thing to mention, McClain defeated Unioto 50-45 at Unioto a little over a month ago. In that game, McClain hit 8 of 12 3s and thwart any Unioto run, while the Shermans shot 9-23 from the FT line and had 4 possessions to tie or take the lead in the final four minutes. McClain only made 7 2 point attempts in the game. Freshman Erique Hosley posted a double double for Unioto and led them in scoring that night and he will be out another 2 weeks for Unioto.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:I92 is right about the concessions/parking BOTH untouchable by the OHSAA (as amazing as THAT is - hard to believe ANYTHING is out of the Godfather's reach) ... nothing better in sport than SRO at a high stakes high school basketball game ... nothing WORSE than a high stakes high school basketball game that should be a sell out but isn't ...

Just think how much money will be lost at the concession stand when all the ATHENS & GALLIA folk leave after the first game and don't come back ... or if the VC/FFU fans came early and sat their for 4 hours - they probably would have eaten while at the gym as well.

just sayin

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 93dog you don't have to convince me - I'm ALL for a 2 games for 1 ticket deal ... fill the gyms with bodies, sell the dogs & popcorn - it's ALL good in my book ... I can find a "cheap seat" anywhere LOL ...

... I'm ready for tip off NOW!!! No school/work today!/2 great hoops games within 3 miles of the house ! Check list double checked - cargo shorts, Purple Hippo shirt, Napkin stat book & pencils , VIP Pass, Purple Blanky, money for dogs & Twizzlers - LIFE'S A GO !!! then do it ALL OVER AGAIN TOMORROW!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto 51
McClain 36

Unioto goes back to the Convo for the first time since 01 which was also the last time they won 15 games before this season.

Unioto started the first with a quick 7-2 start before a Ryan Falcouner 3 pt play closed the gap. Chase Detillion would score 4 straight to extend it to 11-5, but GM was able to get another Falcouner bucket to close the quarter, 11-7. Unioto used 2 Kyle Strange 3s and one from Zach Downs to build a 22-10 halftime lead. Everything GM tried to run was sniffed out by the Shermans and GM was very flustered going into the half.
Unioto stormed out to start the 2nd half quick as Bryce Arledge knocked down a 3 and Dylan Minney's energy and defense was a huge spark to take it to a 33-17 lead after 3. That's when the Tigers turned up the old fashioned GM pressure, causing havoc to start the 4th and getting Thomas Schrader and John Turner fast break buckets as they cut the U lead to 35-25 with 4 minutes left when Coach Hoops got a timeout and that's when big Chase Dettilion took over. With only 6 pts entering the 4th, the senior tossed his teammates on his shoulders and carried them down the stretch, scoring 12 in the 4th and adding rebounding and one huge swat made him the standout of the game.

Scoring:
GM
Turner-10
Falcouner-8 and played a great game before fouling out halfway through the 4th
Schrader-6
Maguire-5
Shannon-4
Thompson- 3

Unioto:
Detillion-18
Arledge-9, 2 3s
Corcoran-8, all in the 2nd half
Strange- 8, 2 3s
Minney- 5
Downs-3, 1 3

I thought the key to the game was Dylan Minney's effort and defense on the McClain pg, Brent Shannon. Shannon had been averging over 15 a game during the 2nd half of the year and was held to only 4. Detillion came up huge late and it was really just a good team win for the Shermans. All 10 guys who stepped onto the court bought in defensively and played their guts out, even the 3 who just closed quarters to play hard defense and spell the starters contributed in a positive manner. It'll be great to see the Shermans play at basketball30 at the Convo.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”