Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 9

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 9

Post by pfloyd »

Deeefense ... the only team that may be ranked a little high in the group in front of Southeastern might be Sheridan but the Generals just beat John Glenn to take the outright lead in the MVL ... other than that I think they are about right at the #11 or #12 spot ... up brought up Piketon but they have 8 losses, a 1 point win over Circleville which is ranked below Southeastern ... SE had that tough stretch of losing 3 of 4 in a 2 week period including a loss to 6-11 Adena ... no problem though in disagreeing - makes me look closer at who SE plays/ed for the Week that IS ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks daniC ... not sure why I have Chillicothe ranked anymore as they no longer play in the SE District - as they go with Logan to the Central District in D1 ... but if I rank Logan - Chillicothe is just as deserving of inclusion in the rankings LOL ... the Cavs are playing very well ... even their earlier losses are a couple of 2 point losses to Chesapeake/Canal/Court House , 3 pts to Hillsboro, 5 pts to Logan Elm ... they haven't lost by more than 8 points this season (the first matchup with Court House) ... winners of 6 of their last 7 are the Cavaliers ...

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

pfloyd wrote:... wipala ... the weather cancelled tonight's big game between Warren vs Athens , and the OTHER game tonight had Fairland @ South Point for the lead in the OVC BUT once again Mother Nature wins in that one as well ... no games tonight to wait on - so I posted the Elite 8 ... not so sure about tomorrow night's games either !!! snow on the way starting tomorrow night about dinner time, with much of Southern Ohio under flood watches due to the 1+ inches of rain to come down on top of the 8 inches of snow that fell last night ... it is a mess weatherwise and basketball schedule wise LOL ... we need some of that 72 degrees and sunny you have in AZ !!!

You folks are really having some winter. In 1978 when the Ohio froze over,,,,,,,we gone!

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

Washington CH and Miami Trace are both 14-3

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Chillicothe and Logan had a Convo pass, there just aren't enough teams so have a sectional/district tourney so they had to exchange it for a pass to the Cow Barn in Columbus. I'd call that a major downgrade that deserves some sympathy. :122249

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Alexander 2 spots ahead of VC after losing to the Vikings twice. Come on Floyd, I thought we were friends! Lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas wrote:Alexander 2 spots ahead of VC after losing to the Vikings twice. Come on Floyd, I thought we were friends! Lol
further proof you have no friends, Dundas.

:mrgreen:

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

If they ever play basketball again I will be looking forward to Portsmouth hosting Minford on the last night of the regular season......that's if they ever play again

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: I see you dropped the Trojans in the rankings.......even though we are "5th".......it is still a drop based on last week's Elite 8, considering that Unioto moved ahead of us, and you have 3 teams "tied" for #1. We won at Logan, a tough place to win, and yes, it wasn't a pretty win, but it's the only time you've seen Portsmouth play in person. We won at your 1A team, Warren, something that no other team in the Elite 8 has done. Yet we dropped evidently based on what happened last Saturday.

You said in your "unofficial" news release that Portsmouth would move up to #4 based on Washington CH losing. But you did not follow through on that.

You know I love you, pfloyd, but I have to call you out on your week 9 rankings of the Trojans.
Last edited by trojandave on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theburgtheword
Varsity

Post by theburgtheword »

trojandave,
Is PHS still playing Cleveland MLK on Saturday? What kind of team do they have?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

teamwork: Martin Luther KIng has a winning record.......it shows 6-1 on Cleveland.com, but I don't believe that has been fully updated. They do have an outstanding player in Anthony Carmon, who is a 5-8 guard averaging 22 PPG, with a high of 41 vs. Conneaut. They also have some size up front, with a couple of 6-5 kids, and apparently like to play uptempo basketball, with scores in the 70's and 80's.
Last edited by trojandave on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

trojandave wrote:pfloyd: I see you dropped the Trojans in the rankings.......even though we are "5th".......it is still a drop based on last week's Elite 8, considering that Unioto moved ahead of us, and you have 3 teams "tied" for #1. We won at Logan, a tough place to win, and yes, it wasn't a pretty win, but it's the only time you've seen Portsmouth play in person. We won at your 1A team, Warren, something that no other team in the Elite 8 has done. Yet we dropped evidently based on what happened last Saturday.

You said in your "unofficial" news release that Portsmouth would move up to #4 based on Washington CH losing. But you did not follow through on that.

You know I love you, pfloyd, but I have to call you out on your week 9 rankings of the Trojans.

waiting on the explanation of this one :mrgreen: no one knows more basketball the trojandave and Pfloyd so this should be good :-D .

I do agree with Dave though not sure how you drop a team when they won..on the road..and at Logan :122246 and pkleasse don't throw that " strength of schedule out there".

oh by the way...great seeing you the other night Pfloyd.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pfloyd vs Trojandave ... that's like 'Clash of the Titans!'

lol

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, biggdowgg, for your support.........pfloyd should know better than to get us Trojan fans started!!

Bulldog93: Is the Athens vs. Warren game ever going to be played?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Just looked up the weather forecast on weather.com for tonight and the rest of the week.........it looks like the Trojans should be able to play the 3 games scheduled. The precipitation is supposed to turn to rain tonight and stay that way until it stops by early tomorrow morning.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

trojandave wrote:Thanks, biggdowgg, for your support.........pfloyd should know better than to get us Trojan fans started!!

Bulldog93: Is the Athens vs. Warren game ever going to be played?
I don't think so Dave ... maybe in the district championship if they both get there ... :mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... trojandave ! "I hope all is well with you too!!!" LOL ... Portsmouth held serve , stayed at the #5 position ... Unioto moved ahead of the Trojans on the strength of their recent play - beating both Southeastern and Zane Trace (ranked #5 D3 Ap poll) in the midst of a 9 game winning streak ... Washington CH WAS going to drop below PHS with that 48-61 loss to Circleville BUT the Blue Lions turned around and beat AP #9 Columbus Ready which had them holding serve of their own ( Circleville is a good ball club/Columbus Ready even better) ... as far as Portsmouth - a potentially very good basketball team , PHS beat Warren AT Warren the 3rd game of the season , lost to Warren AT Portsmouth 57-68 a week ago ... yes they beat Logan on the road 58-50 ... my Purple are 5-9 ... not an offensive juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination yet PHS struggled with the Chiefs ...you are absolutely right this was my only in-person viewing of Coach Collins team ... did I expect more? yes ... are the Trojans going to be a threat to go deep into the tourney - yes they are ... compared to other D3 teams I have seen where would I rank them? Behind Lucasville Valley and Zane Trace from the SVC ... based on what I have seen I place PHS ahead of Lynchburg Clay and Eastern Brown out of the SHAC ... other D3's this time from the Jackson Sectional - Portsmouth I rate higher than all teams in the Jackson Sectional including the South Point team that beat them earlier in the season and better athletically than Oak Hill both of which along with Fairland/Coal Grove are the top teams in Jackson ...

... I told both you and biggdogg that Portsmouth was a year away imo mainly because they are young, when you have a young team you get inconsistencies in play from game to game ... I saw one of those inconsistent nights for the youngsters from P'Town when they played Logan in Logan ... the outside shooting from Sky Oliver was not there, none of the outside shooting was there for PHS -Trojans were 3/25 from behind the arc ... they forced 20 Logan TOs but were able to score "zero" points in transition ... I have seen teams this year that are ranked far lower than Portsmouth who on the given night that I saw them play showed me MORE than PHS did Saturday night ... BUT I did watch the championship game in FL on tape - thanks Matt - I was impressed with the Trojan youth's "basketball maturity" in THAT game - again the ups and downs of a young team WITH tons of talent ...

... biggdowg - I DIDN'T even go to chapter #2 that talks Strength of Schedule LOL ... I feel I have ranked the Trojans fairly and in the right spot on the Elite 8 ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Well, the 2014-2015 Trojans WILL be #1

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Post by SOHSP »

wipala wrote:Well, the 2014-2015 Trojans WILL be #1
I have to disagree....2014-15 Bulldogs from Athens will be number #1. Start three juniors, a soph, and a freshman this year and they are 1b. They have so much potential.

No question they come back fully loaded and will have the number 1 spot to begin the season.

Care to weigh in pfloyd????

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Well how about south of the 35. Lol

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”