Pfloyd's 2014-15 Preseason Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast OH

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's 2014-15 Preseason Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast

Post by 93Bulldog »

Until he jumps off the Dave Mathews bandwagon - coach Kline will continue to get overlooked in the Elite 8 ...

If he want's to go on record - and openly admit - Pink Floyd AND Pearl Jam are way better ..... then you'll have to give the Bucks some love, Floyd.

8)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Nelsonville York isn't Elite 8 worthy 93dog … Coach Kline & Co will need to work their way up the rankings for that to happen … I'm a Dave Mathews fan myself BUT an even bigger Floyd fan …

It's good to hear that NY has some quality players returning for the 14-15 season … hopefully no one moves out of the district this coming season for NY …

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

pfloyd...Just wondering???? Why drop Warren to number #8? Still have a very solid group coming back, maybe three or four, but 8. O,Well its early and alot can happen between now and b-ball season. Still like to keep a check, you do a good job with this.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Where will the Warren/Athens game be played next year considering it was snowed out this past season?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I was sorta surprised to see the Warriors stay in the elite 8. Michael Hall can be outstanding, but they relied so heavily on French and Patton that it's going to be tough to get buckets for the Warriors. But, they do have some nice pieces back and Coach Maddox will do what he always does and have them in the right spots to have success.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

WHS95FAN wrote:Where will the Warren/Athens game be played next year considering it was snowed out this past season?
According to the OHSAA website, it is 1/20/15 @ Athens.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Where did you find the schedule at 4th?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: Thanks for putting the Trojans at #1........it will be tough to stay there, but in actuality Portsmouth's schedule isn't quite as demanding as usual. PHS should be favored to win both leagues (OVC and SEOAL round robin schedules), and they have only 2 non-conference games........Wheelersburg and Chillicothe, both at PHS. I would love to see the Trojans get more production in the paint and defend the 3 pointer better......make teams put the ball on the floor against us........if that happens, what should be a good PHS team could become a very good PHS team. I look for Portsmouth to make a serious run at the state in 2014-2015. Even with our flaws, we were a buzzer beater away this past season from getting to at least the regional finals, because I think PHS would've beaten Martins Ferry in the regional semis.

Kendall Reynolds will step in for graduated Isaiah Lisath, and playing alongside Kyre Allison and Sky Oliver will give the Trojans a trio of guards that can compete at the state level in D3........very comparable to the 2014 D3 state champion Lima Central Catholic's backcourt threesome of Xavier Simpson, Tre Cobbs, and Martyce Kimbrough.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

WHS95FAN wrote:Where did you find the schedule at 4th?
http://schedules.myohsaa.org/

AdamSchefter
Waterboy

Post by AdamSchefter »

PFLOYD good work as usual just a little disappointed with Chillicothe's ranking and LEs ranking...Chillicothe has the best player in the district and LE has Stiverson but keep up the good work.

oldschoolcorner7
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolcorner7 »

trojandave wrote:pfloyd: Thanks for putting the Trojans at #1........it will be tough to stay there, but in actuality Portsmouth's schedule isn't quite as demanding as usual. PHS should be favored to win both leagues (OVC and SEOAL round robin schedules), and they have only 2 non-conference games........Wheelersburg and Chillicothe, both at PHS. I would love to see the Trojans get more production in the paint and defend the 3 pointer better......make teams put the ball on the floor against us........if that happens, what should be a good PHS team could become a very good PHS team. I look for Portsmouth to make a serious run at the state in 2014-2015. Even with our flaws, we were a buzzer beater away this past season from getting to at least the regional finals, because I think PHS would've beaten Martins Ferry in the regional semis.

Kendall Reynolds will step in for graduated Isaiah Lisath, and playing alongside Kyre Allison and Sky Oliver will give the Trojans a trio of guards that can compete at the state level in D3........very comparable to the 2014 D3 state champion Lima Central Catholic's backcourt threesome of Xavier Simpson, Tre Cobbs, and Martyce Kimbrough.
NO DOUBT!! The Trojans are going to be BEASTS and are my favorite from the Southeastern teams to make it to state in their division. STAY HEALTHY!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… I thought I gave the Cavs from Chillicothe a very good starting point going into next season - as daniC pointed out CHS lost 3 major contributors to in Johnson, Wells, Taylor from this past seasons group - Tommy Bolte IS the real deal for sure one of my top 5 in Southeastern Ohio THIS PAST season he will definitely move up in 2014-15 …

Warren? again - I thought I gave them a great starting lane as well at number 8 … Mike Hall is outstanding , LOTS of role players got tons of playing time this past season as well BUT the Warriors still lost more than 50% of their scoring per game in the graduation of French/Patton and Drayer … the role players from THIS season have to step in a "git r done" night in night out - Mazurkiewicz can't just be defensive minded , he will have to be a perimeter scorer ... Kidder/Henthorn/Dennis/Welch ALL have to step up every night ... if anyone can coach them up Coach Maddox and his staff can and will … defense will be there - a given - scoring ? remains to be seen … one of those question marks for 2014-15 … If you look at the Warren roster for next season size will be an issue BUT the Big Bad Blue could have a similar perimeter scoring team as Logan Elm this past season - not a bad thing LOL …

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Logan Elm will have a LOT to prove this coming season - as much as I love Coach Stiverson & Coach Holbert the Braves lost a ton of talent ! - Dillon Young, Casey Tyler, Logan Thompson, Trent Congrove, Waylon Altrip … no proven scorer(s) remain … I would have to say that the ranking I DID give to LE was due to the respect I have for Coach Stiverson's program … it doesn't hurt to have ANOTHER Young as in Ridge Young in the pipeline but Ridge didn't have to score this past season as he will need to this coming campaign … and IF you followed LE hoops as good as Dillon Young was this past season he WASN'T a complete player UNTIL this past season … Ridge Young WILL be a good one - Coach Stiverson will see to that LOL but he has some growing as a player to do before he gets to Dillon Young status …

oldschoolcorner7
Freshman Team

Pfloyd, I am STILL disappointed that VALLEY isn't even on the list!!! With coach Rolfe at the helm and his son and Brown returning and B. Howard coming up at point and B. Romonello as another scoring forward and solid defender I repeat VALLEY WILL surprise and WILL contend for a FOURTH straight SOC II title. Stay blessed brother

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

drchap wrote:Pfloyd, I am STILL disappointed that VALLEY isn't even on the list!!! With coach Rolfe at the helm and his son and Brown returning and B. Howard coming up at point and B. Romonello as another scoring forward and solid defender I repeat VALLEY WILL surprise and WILL contend for a FOURTH straight SOC II title. Stay blessed brother
… this WAS an oversight drchap … it is now corrected … however the Indians have a bunch of "reloading" to do inside the paint losing one of the best post players in Southern/Southeastern Ohio - Hayden Dunn … he was a difference maker because he did what coaches WISH more kids would do - stayed in the paint/banged in the paint/did the grunt work AND LIKED DOING IT … he could also be counted on for that 1 for 1 attempt three ball per game as well … I will miss watching him play personally! an old school post player who did it all for TEAM … I've made some great acquaintances in the Lucasville coaching community - I DON'T want to ruffle feathers ! LOL

oldschoolcorner7
Freshman Team

pfloyd wrote:
drchap wrote:Pfloyd, I am STILL disappointed that VALLEY isn't even on the list!!! With coach Rolfe at the helm and his son and Brown returning and B. Howard coming up at point and B. Romonello as another scoring forward and solid defender I repeat VALLEY WILL surprise and WILL contend for a FOURTH straight SOC II title. Stay blessed brother
… this WAS an oversight drchap … it is now corrected … however the Indians have a bunch of "reloading" to do inside the paint losing one of the best post players in Southern/Southeastern Ohio - Hayden Dunn … he was a difference maker because he did what coaches WISH more kids would do - stayed in the paint/banged in the paint/did the grunt work AND LIKED DOING IT … he could also be counted on for that 1 for 1 attempt three ball per game as well … I will miss watching him play personally! an old school post player who did it all for TEAM … I've made some great acquaintances in the Lucasville coaching community - I DON'T want to ruffle feathers ! LOL

No feathers ruffled!! ;). I am glad it was just an "oversight" . I was thinking WOW, not even on the list. You are RIGHT, Hayden is a great post player and plays MUCH bigger than he is!! He WILL be missed but we have a pretty good big man coming up. Great size and a "ganger". Doesn't have the finesse of Dunn but a hard worker and a lot to handle underneath. Stay blessed!!

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Preseason #8 for my beloved Warriors is right where I'd put them PFloyd! Coach Maddox and staff will do what they ALWAYS do and get the very most out of the kids they have. Losing French/Patton/Drayer will be huge no doubt but in 2011 after the Warriors lost Cuningham & Venham the naysayers were out in full force. In 2012 the Warriors with a team simular to the 2015 edition, won a school record 18 games and beat both Chillocothe and State Finalist Portsmouth. That 2012 group was solid with a young Evan French leading the Warriors in scoring. Next year again Warren will have a solid group with a proven scorer in Hall. The 6'6" versitile wing, Hall will lead a group that is more than solid. If you wanted to describe the 2015 seniors at Warren the word would be WINNERS. Since this group started 7th grade at every level they have quietly went out an won. In junior high while most of the communities attention was focused on the up & coming dynamic duo of French/Patton, the 2015 class quietly went 34-0 winning 2 championships. As freshmen they help the Warriors JV squad go 18-2. As sophomores again quietly behind the scene while the community was watching the Warren varsity on their historic march to the Final 4, this group went 21-0. All told the 2015 class playing mostly without the benefit of a big time scorer have managed to win 90 only losing 6 games in their entire careers. While Mike Hall will get the majority of the attention don't make the mistake of believing they will be a one man team. Kidder, Henthorn and Dennis will provide more than enough firepower for the Warriors to have a successful 2015 campaign.
Yea #8 is a great place to start with Portsmouth sitting at #1 right in firing range. How does it feel to be the hunted TrojanDave? Lol

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Warren is one of those programs that reloads.Its an aweinspiring group each year, didn't the jv,s go undefeated last year? Portsmouth is always the hunted, even in down years its always a treat to get a win vs a four time state champion program that seems to play quite a few games each decade in March at the "big tourney" in Columbus

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

WarriorBlue: I think it is great to see the Trojans at #1 on pfloyd's list..........as far as being the hunted, no school in the entire history of the SE district comes close to what Portsmouth has accomplished in tournament play. We have won more state titles, have more state appearances, more regional titles, more district titles, and more sectional titles than any other school in the SE district. So the Trojans are used to having the bullseye on them. I did the numbers crunching, comparing PHS to all other programs in the state, and the fact is that the Trojans are a top 5 program all-time in state tournament performance. The kids that play for us know that the bar at Portsmouth is high, and I believe they like it that way. Coach Eugene Collins knows what it's like for the fans to have expectations of going to the state, and he embraces it instead of running from it. He played for the Trojans as well, so he is well aware of the whole Portsmouth thing.

Warren has a program that has been consistently good for a long time, and in 2012-2013 finally made the long overdue trip to the regional and state tournaments, and last season had another outstanding campaign. The 2014-2015 Warriors should be good again, but let's be honest, replacing Evan French and Reece Patton will not be easy to do. WHS will still be good, but that's a lot of scoring that needs to be replaced. I'm sure Coach Maddox already has some ideas about that issue, and I think that Michael Hall will have to look to score more in the coming season, which he is certainly capable of doing. He will looked upon to be the leader of the Blue, as he will be a 3 year starter. The beat will go on at Warren, they will win and once again challenge for the district title. Right now, though, I think Portsmouth is the SEOAL favorite, just as I said last year that the Warriors would win the league. Somewhat surprisingly the Trojans sneaked up on WHS and tied the Warriors for the title.

Even though we are ranked #1, we can still get better in all areas, and like any other team, we are a work in progress, always striving to improve........because if we don't, there are a lot of teams out there(Warren is one of them) that could knock us off that lofty pfloyd's #1 mark.

Looking forward to seeing you (and ex-coach78) this coming season, which will be our swan song in the SEOAL. It would be nice to end it with a league championship.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Next year will be big, Athens vs Akron SVSM at Athens. Might need to upgrade our rims. Should be a lot of dunks and an AAU style game. Ibi vs King

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”