Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 5

Post by Ironman92 »

I know what you are saying but we are ranking teams of the SE district and beating Piketon in a close game at a nuetral site is beating Piketon in a close game at a neutral site. Matt Combs isn't going to get the clout like Fitch will sitting around with their respective coaches of the same division.

Also, with your reasoning, yes it is more impressive, but using your thoughts Vinton County defeating more D2 and D3 schools gives them a tougher strength of schedule....and with similar records they should get the nod. Plus....how is a D2 team supposed to get any credit around here....scheduling D1 teams 80 miles away is silly so everyone is going to be smaller or the same....whereas a D4 will never play anyone smaller.

The 1st or 2nd best football team around here was D5

The best volleyball team was D4 (smallest division)

The 2nd or 3rd best girls basketball team is also the smallest division.

Just say you have Eastern in your top 10 because they have a pretty good resume and you are biased....perfectly ok!

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I did say that already on the other top 10 thread! Lol ! But your right it is hard for Vinton to get credit on the state level cause they play smaller schools all year. They would have to travel way to far to play schools there size. I'm not trying to bash them or Piketon or any other school . They are very good programs all of the top 8 Floyd has are great teams I was trying to say Notre Dame belongs in the top 8 over Vinton, over Piketon in my opinion was all.Trying to throw a bone to a little school !! But I will say 9 out of 10 time Vinton and Piketon beat the small but good D-4 teams .

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I also have a problem with quality wins by Eastern Brown compaired to the rest of the top area teams very soft schedual to this point.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Agree...so far

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

games this week:

Thanks to Floyd - and my attempt to make his life easier - I changed the format for the scoreboard on the TVC web site ... it now offers a clear snap shot for the entire week ... just more proof of how Pfloyd's influence affects the basketball landscape in southeastern Ohio ... lol

http://trivalleyconference.com/
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

Thanks for what you do with the list. I saw Eastern play and they are legit. I don't care what division they are. As far as their schedule is concerned, they have to play the teams in their league. I have no ties to them at all. All I am saying is sometimes the SCOL, SVC, SEOAL is weaker than usual. You can't control that if you have to play them. Last year Jackson had really good talent but the league was up as a whole. Doesn't make Jackson a bad team. You play who is on your schedule, pretty simple. I know for a fact that Chilli wasn't crazy about playing Jackson for a third time last year. Watch the personel and then make your decision who is better. The list that Pfloyd has is legit. The teams on that list belong there.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Tuesday 1/8 :

Gallia @ Ironton
Warren @ Athens
Whiteoak @ Manchester
West Union @ St. Patrick
Peebles @ Eastern Brown
Alexander @ Federal Hocking
Vinton County @ Wellston
Reedsville Eastern vs Waterford
Miller @ Southern
Belpre @ South Gallia
Trimble vs Wahama
Crooksville @ Morgan
Maysville @ New Lexington
Tri Valley @ Sheridan
Circleville @ Logan Elm
Teays Valley @ Fairfield Union
River Valley @ Chesapeake
Rock Hill vs Fairland
Wheelersburg vs Minford
Portsmouth West vs Northwest
Lucasville Valley @ Oak Hill
South Webster @ Waverly
Green vs Ports Clay
New Boston vs Symmes Valley
Portsmouth East vs Eastern Pike
Portsmouth Notre Dame @ Western Pike
South Point @ Coal Grove

... as usual IF you have this weeks schedule for Hillsboro, McClain, Miami Trace, Washington CH PLEASE POST - thanks ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm very curous to know:

Floyd, if your life depended on it - and were FORCED to pick a winner Tuesday - who would it be? Athens or Warren?

:)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... there's a reason that Warren & Athens are ranked BOTH at #2 on the Elite 8 ... I would give the edge to Athens 1) at home (although AHS has lost their only home game this season 2) Ibi Watson (he is a scorer - not just a perimeter shooter/not just a get to the rim player - he can score the ball spotting up or off the dribble) might be the best player on the floor Tuesday night 3) Athens has proven that they can adjust their game offensively to get a "W" (that River Pilot game was an eye opener as AHS HAD TO score! matching 3 balls and running up over 70/almost 80 points 4) Athens defensively will make life difficult for the Warriors ... Athens can force WHS to shoot the deep ball, in the PAST one of the mo's on Warren has been that they have not been a consistent perimeter team, they have tended to disappear for 3-4 minutes offensively during a game IN THE PAST... Athens has the personnel to mix up defenses (going both zone and man) to force Warren to adjust offensively for 4 quarters ... all in all as I posted the two teams are ranked at #2 for a reason ... going to be a close game decided by foul trouble or which team can stay OUT OF foul trouble/FT shooting ... should be a great game to see from the cheap seats - looking forward to this one ...

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

pfloyd wrote:... there's a reason that Warren & Athens are ranked BOTH at #2 on the Elite 8 ... I would give the edge to Athens 1) at home (although AHS has lost their only home game this season 2) Ibi Watson (he is a scorer - not just a perimeter shooter/not just a get to the rim player - he can score the ball spotting up or off the dribble) might be the best player on the floor Tuesday night 3) Athens has proven that they can adjust their game offensively to get a "W" (that River Pilot game was an eye opener as AHS HAD TO score! matching 3 balls and running up over 70/almost 80 points 4) Athens defensively will make life difficult for the Warriors ... Athens can force WHS to shoot the deep ball, in the PAST one of the mo's on Warren has been that they have not been a consistent perimeter team, they have tended to disappear for 3-4 minutes offensively during a game IN THE PAST... Athens has the personnel to mix up defenses (going both zone and man) to force Warren to adjust offensively for 4 quarters ... all in all as I posted the two teams are ranked at #2 for a reason ... going to be a close game decided by foul trouble or which team can stay OUT OF foul trouble/FT shooting ... should be a great game to see from the cheap seats - looking forward to this one ...

PFloyd....... Usually I agree with you the majority of the time but this time we gotta part company. The Warriors to have proven they can win different ways. A defensive gem at Portsmouth (45-31) and a run and gun game at Belpre (81-70). By the way their 3rd game in 3 days. I'm sure that Warren had no legs Saturday night but they found a way to win anyway.
Ibby Watson is a beast BUT he has had the luxury of being an unknown quantity. The second time thru the schedule will be much more difficult for the talented freshman. As far as him being the best player on the court, I'm sure Evan French will have something to say about that. Also I'm quite sure that Arhens hasn't seen the kinda half court pressure man to man defense they're gonna see tomorrow night.
The Bulldogs will enjoy the friendly confines of McAfee Gym but they've stumbled there once and Warren is deffintly better than Wellston. As long as the game isn't called to closely I think the Warriors can get out of Athens with a W.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:2) Ibi Watson (he is a scorer - not just a perimeter shooter/not just a get to the rim player - he can score the ball spotting up or off the dribble) might be the best player on the floor Tuesday night
you do realize your talking about a 14 year old, right?
well, actually he turned 15 yesterday - from what I seen on facebook.

pretty tough relying on a 14/15 year old kid to win a game like this ... I mean, I was collecting baseball cards and playing video games at 14 - they wouldn't even let us practice against the varsity back then ... lol

because Athens has had two 'freak-of-nature' freshmen doing some of the hefty lifting early on - I think folks have kind of forgotten about Joe Burrow ... IMO, he's the guy tomorrow night that has to have a big game for Athens to win ... he had a nice moment when he threw down the dunk versus Jackson, and he's had some nice scoring outputs this year - but he's yet to have that one defining game that I expect will come sooner or later ... hopefully its tomorrow night ... :)

blacknblue
JV Team

Post by blacknblue »

Floyd 5-5 South Point travels to 8-2 Coal Grove also on tuesday

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

WarriorBlue ... don't be fooled by Floyds remarks - he's probably just being nice and throwing poor ol 93 a bone ... beyond his rough 'Chieftain exterior' is a little Warrior wanting to get out ... lol ... trust me on this, Floyd is a big Warriors fan ... you outta see him and Coach Maddox together - they're like 'peas & carrots' I tell ya ...

:)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks bRuIsEr ... I just added SP vs CG to Tuesday nights menu of games ...

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I realize neither team is looking beyond this game BUT imo, Athens must win this game for a shot at the 1 seed in the Logan sectional. Its also BIG for VC in terms of seeding as well. If Athens can pull off the W, and VC can steal one at McAfee later this season it will look real good come draw day. I realize its a long way away, but its fun as fans to look into the future! Good luck Dogs! Represent the Tri-Valley Conference!!

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

GO WARRIORS!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio-Week #5

1. Ironton (7-2)

2. Warren (8-1)/Athens (7-1)

3. Eastern Brown (10-1)

4. Logan Elm (7-2)

5. Miami Trace (7-3)

6. Oak Hill (8-1)

7. Vinton County (8-2)/Lucasville Valley (8-2)

8. Piketon (8-3) / Zane Trace (8-2)

... TreeHugger Wannabes ...

Portsmouth Notre Dame (9-1)
Washington CH (7-3)
South Webster (7-2)
Minford (7-2)
Fairland (7-3)
Unioto (6-4)
Eastern Pike (7-2)
Peebles (7-2)
Federal Hocking (7-3)
Hillsboro (5-3)
North Adams (7-4)
Nelsonville York (7-3)
Wheelersburg (5-4)
Chesapeake (6-4)
Coal Grove (8-2)
Sheridan (5-3)
Southeastern (5-4)
Westfall (3-7)
Whiteoak (6-4)
Marietta (5-4)
Portsmouth West (5-4)
Fairfield Leesburg (5-6)
Wellston (6-5)
Portsmouth East (7-2)
Portsmouth (4-7)
Logan (3-5)
Greenfield McClain (4-6)
Huntington (6-6)
Chillicothe (2-8)
Paint Valley (4-7)
Symmes Valley (4-4)
Belpre (4-6)
Gallia Academy (4-6)
Waterford (3-3)
Meigs (4-5)
Circleville (5-5)
Trimble (5-5)
Southern (5-5)
Waverly (3-7)
South Point (5-5)
Alexander (3-7)
Fairfield Union (3-6) coming into this week, with the win over Teays Valley FU goes to 4-6
Portsmouth Clay (2-6)
Manchester (4-6)
Miller (3-6)
New Lexington (3-7)
Crooksville (4-5)
St. Joseph (4-6)
South Gallia (3-6)
River Valley (2-7)
Rock Hill (2-7)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Adena (1-8)
Western Pike (2-8)
Lynchburg Clay (1-8)
Reedsville Eastern (1-8)
Northwest (1-7)
Green (1-7)
New Boston (1-8)
Jackson (0-11)
West Union (0-10)

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Tuesday 1/8 :

Gallia @ Ironton
Warren @ Athens
Whiteoak @ Manchester
West Union @ St. Patrick
Peebles @ Eastern Brown
Alexander @ Federal Hocking
Vinton County @ Wellston
Reedsville Eastern vs Waterford
Miller @ Southern
Belpre @ South Gallia
Trimble vs Wahama
Crooksville @ Morgan
Maysville @ New Lexington
Tri Valley @ Sheridan
Circleville @ Logan Elm
Teays Valley @ Fairfield Union
River Valley @ Chesapeake
Rock Hill vs Fairland
Wheelersburg vs Minford
Portsmouth West vs Northwest
Lucasville Valley @ Oak Hill
South Webster @ Waverly
Green vs Ports Clay
New Boston vs Symmes Valley
Portsmouth East vs Eastern Pike
Portsmouth Notre Dame @ Western Pike
South Point @ Coal Grove

... as usual IF you have this weeks schedule for Hillsboro, McClain, Miami Trace, Washington CH PLEASE POST - thanks ...

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

pfloyd, Not that it really matters that much, but I just wanted to give you an updated, correct record for Fairfield Union. They are actually 3 - 7.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

What does the red ones mean Floyd.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”