Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Editio

Post by pfloyd »

... the Landscape of those who have Survived and Advanced thru 2/27/12 ...

...Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Standings...

1. Chesapeake (19-1)

2. Portsmouth (18-2)

3. Warren (18-2) ... lost to Fairland on 3/1

4. Ironton (15-5)

5. Eastern Brown (16-4) / Lucasville Valley (16-4)

6. Logan Elm (15-5) ... lost to Athens in sectional final

7. Southern (17-3)

8. Fairland (15-5)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

(13-7) Chillicothe
(15-5) Hillsboro
(15-5) Waverly
(15-5) Peebles
(15-5) Belpre
(18-2) Portsmouth Notre Dame
(13-7) Piketon
(14-6) Unioto
(14-6) Huntington ... lost to Chesapeake 3/2
(14-6) Sheridan losing to Chillicothe 2/29
(14-6) Vinton County
(15-5) Eastern Pike
(12-8) South Webster
(12-8) North Adams
(12-8) Circleville
(13-7) Southeastern ... lost Eastern Brown 3/2 district semi final
(13-6) Minford
(13-7) Oak Hill
(10-10) Marietta
(11-9) Lynchburg Clay
(11-9) Fairfield Leesburg ... loses to Manchester 2/28
(7-13) Logan
(8-12) Jackson
(12-8) Federal Hocking
(12-8) Manchester
(8-12) Westfall
(11-9) Athens losing to Circleville 45-51 ... 2/29
(12-8) Wellston
(12-8) Nelsonville York
(11-9) South Gallia
(9-11) Fairfield Union
(9-10) Zane Trace
(9-11) New Lexington
(10-10) Washington CH
(9-11) Miami Trace
(10-10) Waterford ... lost to Symmes Valley 50-51 ... 2.28
(13-7) New Boston Glenwood ... loses to Portsmouth East in OT 2/28 ... 61-64 OT
(10-10) South Point
(11-11) Wahama
(12-8) Coal Grove
(7-13) Wheelersburg
(9-11) Rock Hill
(8-12) Portsmouth East
(10-10) St. Joseph ... loses to South Gallia 60-52 ( 2/28)
(7-13) Franklin Furnace Green loses to Portsmouth Notre Dame 2/29
(7-13) Whiteoak loses to South Webster 2/29
(5-15) Paint Valley
(5-15) River Valley
(5-15) Greenfield McClain
(5-15) Reedsville Eastern loses big to Eastern Pike 2/29
(4-16) Crooksville
(4-15) Portsmouth West
(4-15) Miller
(5-15) Alexander
(3-17) Western Pike
(7-13) Symmes Valley

... Teams on the End Table ...

(3-17) Gallia Academy
(2-18) Northwest
(2-18) Trimble loses to Southern 2/29
(2-18) Portsmouth Clay
(1-19) West Union
(1-19) Adena
(1-19) Meigs

***... D4 Sectional play gets into full swing tonight 2/28/12 ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 15 out of the top 26 are still in action ... 7 out of the top 9 - STILL playing ... I'm pretty satisfied that the old Ouija Board did a good job during the regular season in getting teams ranked where they should have been all year ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chillicothe 47
Sheridan 32

Chillicothe led at all quarter breaks : 12 - 6 Cavs after one ... 22-14 Cavs at intermission ... 34 - 23 Cavs after three ... Chillicothe could have stopped at the offensive end after 3 periods as Sheridan was unable to top the CHS mark after 4 quarters ... Chillicothe 47 Sheridan 32 a final ... The big difference makers in the game was the on the ball pressure by CHS throughout the contest ... Malik London in the paint had double digit blocks to go with his 14 points - 2 of his buckets where back to back dunks which was highlighted by Lou Horvath on the PA taking us into the Sheridan timeout with " it's London calling !!!" ... combine the Cavs D with the Generals inability to hit the outside jumper - Sheridan went 0 for 12 from beyond the arc ...hitting only 2 fgs outside the paint all night ... Cavs survive and advance to take on Circleville ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Sheridan ...

Scoring: Jacob Horsley 13, Matt Freville 4, Brian Russell 4, Seth Helser 4, Tyler King 3, Tate Leavitt 2,Bo Reichley 2

3-Pointers : 0/12 ... Sheridan only hit 2 shots outside of the paint for the game

FT's : 4/8

TO's : 14

At the Rim: 11
Transition Buckets : 2

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Chillicothe ...

Scoring : Malik London 14, Adam Bixler 13, Zach Johnson 10, Aaron Elliott 8, Jalen Jones 2

3-Pointers : 3/12 ... Aaron Elliott 2, Zach Johnson 1

FT's : 4/4

TO's : 13

At the Rim : 12
Transition Buckets : 1

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Circleville 51
Athens 45

The Roundtown boyz of Coach Evans took almost 2 quarters to figure out the Athens Bulldog zone defense as Athens forced 7 Tiger turnovers in the first and showed a balanced attack in taking an Athens 14 Circleville 9 lead after one quarter ... the word of the night for Circleville was "patience" ... patience at the offensive end in that they finally were able to get Denzel Amey into the lane where he got the rim for 2 straight buckets and one each time Coach Evans squad kept clawing back closer and closer to the Bulldogs until a 3 pointer by Carson Haddox as time ran out in the half gave the Tigers their first lead of the game 23-22 at the intermission - a lead they never let slip away ... coming out of the break CHS knocked down back to back threes (John Hammon) to start the third period, Joey Burrow answered one of the treys with his own 3-ball but Circleville had found the man of the quarter in Denzel Amey - as the quick 4 man got to the rim for 3 buckets in the quarter ...Athens struggled with the perimeter shot all night,but in the 3rd the Bulldogs were but 1 for 7 from downtown ... Circleville 37 Athens 29 after 3 periods ... Athens outscored the Tigers 16-14 in the 4th AND had multiple opportunities to close to within 2 or 3 points but the shots wouldn't fall on key possessions for Athens ... Circleville 51 Athens 45 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring : Nick Stanley 15, Joey Burrow 10, Kramer Simmons 6, Josh Skinner 5, Ryan Luehrman 4, Michale Germano 3, Adam Luehrman 2

3-pointers: 3/20 ... Joey Burrow 2, Josh Skinner 1

FT's : 14/15

TO's : 7

At the Rim : 9
Transition buckets : 2

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Circleville ...

Scoring : Denzel Amey 19, Nathan Moats 13, John Hammon 7, David Burrows 4, Conner Smith 3, Carson Haddox 3, Austin Manson 2

3-Pointers : 4/7 ... John Hammon 2, Conner Smith 1, Carson Haddox 1

FT's : 11/19

TOs : 18

At the Rim : 11
Transition buckets : 0

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chesapeake 68
Huntington 57

A good matchup on the opening night of D3 action between Regular season Elite 8 number one Chesapeake and the Huntsman from Huntington High School - OVC vs SVC ... quarter one was highlighted by the "go to guy" for each team establishing themselves as Austin McMaster drained 2 treys (10 pts in the quarter) for the 'Peake ... the Big Man in the Middle for Huntington Dylan Gragg added 5 points out of the blocks for the Huntsmen ... Peake 20 Huntington 11 after one quarter ... in period 2 HHS got on the board by forcing 6 CHS turnovers converted into 3 Huntsmen transition buckets ... HHS was even more loose with the ball as the 'peake forced 8 Huntsmen TOs in the period ... the result being a +2 scoring advantage in the period for Coach Davis' boyz - led by Eric Kennedy's 8 pts ... Peake 33 Huntington 22 at the break ... coming out of intermission Huntington appeared the aggressor as they began to cut into the CHS lead with tight, perimeter defense mixed with a variety of pressure full court, 3/4 court pressure ... the Huntsmen after being down by 16 points at 5:51 in the 3rd clawed their way back into the game behind 8 points in the quarter from Gragg, 6 more 'peake miscues and 3 straight treys ( 9-0 run) by Blake Campbell (2 threes) and 1 from Brice Vickers ... Peake 47 Huntington 38 after 3 quarters and the momentum on the HHS side of court ... the Huntsmen's aggressive play on the perimeter , 6 pts from Gragg in the paint and 7 from Jacob Kellough had HHS continuing to close the gap ... at 7:06 CHS 49 HHS 42 ... 6:18 CHS 51 HHS 45 ... 5:23 CHS 51 HHS 47 ... 4 points was as close as it would get as the Peake went 11/13 from the FT line in the quarter, Austin McMaster dropped 8 more points including a 2 handed dunk coming out of a Coach Davis timeout ... Chesapeake 68 Huntington 57 a final

...Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Huntington ...

Scoring : Dylan Gragg 23, Blake Campbell 12, Brice Vickers 10, Jacob Kellough 9, Brendan Campbell 3

3-Pointers: 5/15 ... Blake Campbell 2, Vickers 1, Brendan Campbell 1, Kellough 1

FTs : 10/16

TOs : 25

At the Rim : 15 buckets

Transition : 3

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Chesapeake ...

Scoring : Austin McMaster 23, Eric Kennedy 22, Javon Thompson 12, Brandon Noble 7, Patrick Hintz 4

3-Pointers : 4/16 ... McMaster 3, Kennedy 1

FTs : 23/29

TOs : 18

At the Rim : 12

T: 2

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Peebles 67
Zane Trace 40 a final

Game #2 was tight for a half as Peebles struggled out of the block,having more turnovers than points early on (6 TOs - 2 pts) ... quarter one played out with early foul trouble for 6-6 post man for PHS - Jacob Daniels - putting him on the bench (4 pts) and left Zane Trace in the game as THEIR big man Wes Beam who canned 4 points in the quarter ... Peebles 14 Zane Trace 10 after one ...Period #2 had the Indians continuing to struggle from deep attempting 5 threes connecting on one by Trent Arey while ZT found the range going 3 for 4 from downtown to keep things interesting ... Peebles 27 ZT 24 after two quarters ... the 3rd period separated the men from the boyz as Peebles rode the scoring of Arey (10 pts) and Josh Chandler (8) - with all of the PHS field goals coming inside the paint ... while the PHS offense was getting separation the Peebles Defense closed the deal - holding ZT to 2 fgs in the quarter ... 22-6 favoring the Indians in the quarter ... Peebles 49 ZT 29 end of three ... the final period had PHS adding to the lead from the foul line going 10/12 in the quarter ... Peebles 67 Zane Trace 40 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Zane Trace ...

Scoring : Wes Beam 12, Colton Whitehouse 8, Cox 6, Hill 6, Carle 3, Bush 2, Jerrod Collins 2, Hinty 1

3-Pointers : 3/17 ... Whitehouse 2, Carle 1

FTs : 5/6

TO's : 24

ATR : 11

T: 2

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napksin Stats - Peebles ...

Scoring : Trent Arey 20, Josh Chandler 16, Mason Johnson 9, Jacob Daniels 7, Beau Justice 4, Tyler Porter 3, Adam King 2

3-Pointers : 1/8 ... Arey 1

FTs : 18/26

TOs : 14

ATR : 19

T: 4

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Eastern Brown 61
Southeastern 37 final

... in the nightcap Southeastern beat Eastern Brown .... IN THE FIRST QUARTER!!! Coach Beucler's boyz struggled out of the gate going 1/7 from behind the arc, had 3 TOs in the period, picked up 6 personal fouls, had difficulty doing anything against SE's size, SE's zone defense, EB was getting beat on the boards ... Southeastern 11 Eastern Brown 8 after quarter number 1 ... BUT !!!! (and there is always a but) one quarter does not a game make ... in the 2nd ... junior Chase Lawson showed his value on the boards, on defense, leadership AND on the scoreboard with 9 points including a falling away 3 ball out of the left wing ... as is almost always the case , when your go to guy gets involved everyone's game gets turned up a notch - Blake Doss off the bench entered the game, followed the example of Lawson, forced 2 SE turnovers, hit a much needed 3 ball (5 points in the quarter) ... EB's TEAM D held the Panthers of SE to 2 fgs in the quarter ... Eastern Brown 28 Southeastern 21 at intermission ... as a fan in the Cheap Seats you could SEE the "real" Eastern Brown TEAM starting to throw off the cloak of being in the rare air of the Convo - the EB offensive flow showed up late in the 2nd, the lid had been taken off of the basket on shots from the perimeter (Lawson/Doss triples to end the 2nd quarter) - quarter number 3 was "pure" EB basketball ... ball movement on the offensive end, EB hit 3 triples, BUT more importantly EB got their shots from the foul line extended as well ... EB shot over 60% in the 3rd - Jordon Payne/Conner Purdin/Nathan Scott got involved offensively hitting for 18 points in the quarter , EB had "0" TOs ...defensively EB held SE to "one and done" on the offensive end ... this one was over - as it looked like Coach Beucler had his Warriors relaxed at both ends of the floor, playing EB basketball ... Eastern Brown 48 Southeastern 28 after three ... the buses were running now for both schools as the 4th period was finished out with everyone for both teams playing out the game ... Eastern Brown 61 Southeastern 37 a final ...

...Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Southeastern ...

Scoring : Michael Brown 12, Nic Kellough 7, Austin Hice 6, Kannon Strausbaugh 5, Dylan Miles 2, Jordan Allen 2, Will Gullion 2, Steven Hall 1

3-Pointers: 2/21 ... Kellough 1, Strausbaugh 1

FT's : 11/22

TOs : 12

At the Rim : 9

Transition buckets : 1

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Eastern Brown ...

Scoring : Chase Lawson 18, Jordan Payne 14, Conner Purdin 8, Nathan Scott 8,Blake Doss 6, Riley Prine 3, Josh Boudreau 2, Jonathan Stivers 2

3-Pointers : 6/15 ... Lawson 2, Payne 2, Purdin 1

FT's : 7/9

TOs : 8 ... only 5 in the last 3 quarters ... ONLY 3 in the 2nd half ...

ATR : 13

Transition buckets : 4

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Got to say I got a huge laugh when I saw Warren ranked so high. Portsmouth is the real deal, WHS over rated

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Dinocrocetti wrote:Got to say I got a huge laugh when I saw Warren ranked so high. Portsmouth is the real deal, WHS over rated
You must not have seen Warren play. Definitely ranked right. Fairland was probably underrated and definitely was not a 4 seed in the sectional. Could have been 1-3 , but definitely not 4.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Dinocrocetti wrote:Got to say I got a huge laugh when I saw Warren ranked so high. Portsmouth is the real deal, WHS over rated

... Got to say I got a hugh laugh when I saw Dinocretti's quote above - said to myself now there's a poster who hasn't followed boyz high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line all season ... Warren wins all games - splits with Chillicothe/Portsmouth as everyone defended their home courts (as is expected - as a coach the goal put out for your team is NO BODY comes into our house and gets the "W" ) ... Portsmouth is an OUTSTANDING basketball team for sure and may prove even more so with a big run in the post season - I have seen all of these teams play multi times - the cliche' "on any given night" holds very much true ... that's why Ouija Board in hand or not the games are won/lost on the court ... youngsters age 15-18 working their butts off to give us Cheap Seat guys the best show around - the least WE can do is give every single player, coach , team our hats off, our "great job" thanks to them ALL ... Warren EARNED their spot in my weekly rankings, they DESERVED their spot my hat goes off to their GREAT SEASON - "THAT" can never be taken from them ...

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Pfloyd, that is why is are so beloved. You just take those comments in stride and state facts in a kind and gentle way. Now myself, I had to reread an edit my post a few times. This true and blue Cavalier gives utmost respect to the Warren program. IMO, they played the best combo of offense and defense A's any team around. To accomplish 18 wins in any league is worthy of being ranked that high.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

LOL hitchbone64 !!! now you just don't realize how many posts by this old pfloyd character have never been graced by the "submit" button LOL .. oh they were typed with gritted teeth, steam coming out of the ears BUT after typing them (the therapy side of SEOPs) AND then rereading them - I will delete them, walk it off and try again when my blood pressure goes down LOL ... by the way hitchbone64 I enjoyed seeing the Cavs play so well to open the action this post season at the Convo !!! I always enjoy seeing those well coached teams, who hang their hat on solid defense - the Cavs fit my criteria for sure ... looking forward to seeing Chillicothe vs Circleville Friday night !!! Roundtown likes to get into the paint - I'm thinking Malik London will have a BIG say in the outcome of this one :122249

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I can Gaurantee you NO ONE from Portsmouth that seen both games with Warren would make such a statement we know from the 2 battles that Warren was a great team coached by a great coaching staff

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Pfloyd,,sent ya a couple PMS

Caulkie
Waterboy

Post by Caulkie »

Pfloyd...I really enjoy your posts....especially for the underdogs like Eastern Brown...keep up the intensity and thanks for deleting some time to time...lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Thanks biggdowgg for the information ...

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

pfloyd wrote:LOL hitchbone64 !!! now you just don't realize how many posts by this old pfloyd character have never been graced by the "submit" button LOL .. oh they were typed with gritted teeth, steam coming out of the ears BUT after typing them (the therapy side of SEOPs) AND then rereading them - I will delete them, walk it off and try again when my blood pressure goes down LOL ... by the way hitchbone64 I enjoyed seeing the Cavs play so well to open the action this post season at the Convo !!! I always enjoy seeing those well coached teams, who hang their hat on solid defense - the Cavs fit my criteria for sure ... looking forward to seeing Chillicothe vs Circleville Friday night !!! Roundtown likes to get into the paint - I'm thinking Malik London will have a BIG say in the outcome of this one :122249

Pfloyd, I know realize why me blood pressure runs so high. It's not my caree, my kids, nor Mrs. Hitch bone. Has to be reading to many post. I need therapy. And thanks for the comments on the Cavs and being well coached. This may be one of the better coaching jobs. With so little experience and depth, this team has done well. I'm anxiously awaiting Friday night, as my hope is Malik gets a nickname for his potentially huge impact on the defensive end. Not sure what the District record is for blockshots, but I would like to see Malik duplicate the Sheridan game. Unfortunately, the fans did not get an appreciation for how good Horsley is around the basket. CVille will present a challenge A's they did challenge Malik last year. If he stays on his feet, I like our chances to hold the game in the 40's.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... hitchbone64 I USUALLY never keep blocked shots or rebounds when I do my napkin stats for the games BUT for this matchup of Cavs vs Roundtown I will make an exception - I see a another triple double of points, rbs and blks by the Enforcer for the Cavs AND I didn't even need my Ouija Board to predict this one LOL ... I absolutely agree with your point that this might just be Coach Kellough's best coaching job this year - a team doesn't lose 4 players of the caliber that CHS did from last years team and come back looking/playing like last years team ... I truly think the Cavs D is as good or better than last years version of the Cavs ... anytime you hold your opponents under 50 for the season with the schedule that Chilli played - nothing short of outstanding ... offensively - youngster have to get VARSITY experience Bixler & Co. have now done that, 21 games worth - it shows the Cav's perimeter shooting is in a good position to make teams pay when they dbl and triple team London down low ... as I posted Friday nights game will be very interesting - as I know the Tigers strength is getting into the paint - Moats/Amey ... plays into the defensive strength of the Cavs/London ... should be fun !!!! LOL

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

I just wish we didn't have to wait until next Friday. Both teams will be well prepared. Moats/Amey will be a handful, but hopefully we can keep pressure on the ball and get some turnovers that can be converted to points. The MSL teams all played us tough this year, but we were fortunate to play pretty well. IMO, the teams are a
OT like the SEOAL. I would love to have a mixture of those teams and have one huge league. Than we could stay put. I'm afraid for the SEOAL.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Fairland was dominated by a shorthanded Ironton team on their home court. They were never in the game. Fairland beat Warren in the district. Chillicothe would have lost to Ironton by 20 with Ironton at full strength. the Tigers nearly knocked them off without two ofbtheir top three starters. Ironton would have defeated Warren anywhere they would have played.

I got no problem with Warren being 4 or 5 but no way they are ranked ahead of Ironton. Warren would have been no better than 12-8 with Irontons schedule.
Just my take. It's your poll and you put a lot of time in. Just not a "mark" for the SEOAL as I'm sure you are.
Portsmouth in my opinion should be the fav to win the region. Defending champ and very talented.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”