Athens @
Marietta

South Gallia @
Buffalo

Futurebkstar
All State

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia played their game against Southern without their 6th man. Not making any excuses but both are very quality teams. Great work PFLOYD.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Grinder asked about my game(s) of the Week that IS ...

1/6 Friday

Chillicothe vs
Warren
... Cavs need a "W" to stay in the hunt for the SEOAL

Piketon @
Unioto
... the Shermans need the win over Piketon to stay in the Elite 8 ... the RedStreaks need to get back some respectability from the Waverly bounce in the holiday tourney ...

Waverly @
Oak Hill
... Oak Hill with a win moves into position to get back into the Elite 8, Waverly must win to keep their hopes alive for getting into the top 8 list ...

Peebles vs
Ripley

Fairland vs
Chesapeake

Southern @
Belpre
... 93bulldog has to be worried about this one ... going into Belpre and having to get a "W" ain't easy ... all eyes will be on Southern in this one ...

Eastern Reedsville vs
South Gallia

1/7 Saturday

Piketon vs
Vinton County (OU Branch Chillicothe)

Lucasville Valley @
Huntington
... the Valley Indians want to get into the Elite 8 ... a road win vs HHS might do it ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I would absolutly love to take in that Southern/Belpre game Floyd ... But I have another game to worry about right here in my own backyard ... Nelsonville-York (1-1 TVC-Ohio) and winners of 4-in-a-row (and 6-out-of-7) comes to A-town to take on the Bulldogs (2-1 TVC-Ohio).

Its a huge TVC-Ohio show-down ... Loser falls two back of VC and can most likely give up on a possible 'outright' league title this year.

THE 6TH HAS GOT SOME IMPORTANT GAMES IN THE TVC:

Athens (5-3)(2-1) vs NY (6-3)(1-1)
Southern (5-1)(3-1) at Belpre (4-2)(3-0)
South Gallia (5-1)(4-1) at Eastern (4-1)(2-1)

* The Hocking teams playing Friday are a combined 18-5 ... Should be some good games with some good teams locking horns later this week.

ThePeakeInsider
JV Team

Post by ThePeakeInsider »

pfloyd you are a true sports therapist in your rankings.The Panther Nation will always have you in our prayers,stay strong and wise.Hope to see you at the" BEAST OF THE SOUTHEAST " ON THE 14TH OF JAN. 2012,games all day.Good luck on your test results.

frog
Waterboy

Post by frog »

Lots of prayers and support coming your way! Keep your head up and your eyes
on the prize. Strength, determination and much to do yet for you.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... peake hoops ... getting to the Beast of the Southeast is definitely on my agenda if at all possible ... it all depends on what the docs want to do with me - I really am not a person who likes to have things "NOT" in my control LOL ... you know I'll be there it is in the cards my friend ...

... frog - welcome to the THE BEST forum anywhere for high school basketball - and thank you for your support - I appreciate your post as your "first" one on SEOPreps ...

cg 22
JV Team

Post by cg 22 »

futurebkstar wrote:South Gallia played their game against Southern without their 6th man. Not making any excuses but both are very quality teams. Great work PFLOYD.

Why bring it up if you are not making excuses?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the issues with where South Gallia, Eastern Reedsville and Southern are ranked will take care of themselves ON the court ... I haven't seen Southern with 6-7 Chandler Drummer in the lineup, obviously when you have athletic 6-7 size on the floor your team reaps benefits especially in Southern Ohio basketball ... but I feel good about where these teams are ranked at the moment, all 3 have opportunities to prove they deserve better or worse in the rankings within the league play and vs the "outlaws" on their schedules ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Bad part about the Hocking is they only get 4 'outlaws' a year to prove themselves ... 9 teams = 16 league games.

Southern has:
Meigs - W
River Valley - W
Wellston
Alexander

South Gallia:
Symmes Valley - W
Buffalo
Buffalo
Ohio Valley Christian

Eastern:
Meigs - W
Alexander - W
River Valley
Wellston

* Moral of the story is: None of the Hocking teams have a lot of room to prove themselves outside of league play ... Your just going to have to use your best judgement Floyd when it comes to these teams (or just take 93dog's word when it comes to the matter ... lol)

BTW ... The win over Marietta will probably make Belpre the team with the best 'quality' win (of the group of Hocking teams fighting for a spot in the rankings.)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Man, looks like the Hocking teams will be the ones who benefit the most from the 22 game schedule next year. Only 4 non-league games is awful, but definitely easy on the AD's of the league.

I also think Huntington's game Friday night, at home against Zane Trace is huge. ZT has struggled as of late, but they are much better than they have been playing, so I'd look for them to come out and push the Huntsmen. I know it was right after football season, but they did get a big W over Lucasville, so they have some major potential.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

FYI, St. Joseph's record is 5-4.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

XandOs ... could you give us the wins and loss over the holiday that we are missing from the 3-3 record that I have ... thanks

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

St. joe - 74
Rose Hill - 51

St. Joe - 85
Lawerence County - 69

Portsmouth Notre Dame - 75
St. Joe - 31

* And you thought I only cared about the TVC ... lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... got the change in the ISJ record ... thanks 93dog

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

It's gotta be tough to care about anything other than the TVC, there are about 28 teams in it now!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

pfloyd wrote:... it's who you lose to 93dog!

... Unioto hanging onto the 8 spot? ... the Shermans lost to Amanda CC one of the better "outlaw teams" JUST Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... IF you look at the teams on the Treehugger listing from Week #4 - Piketon got crushed by Waverly, FU lost to Chillicothe, Vinton Co lost 2 games over the holidays, Marietta lost 2 ... Lucasville Valley beat up on End Table, 1 win Portsmouth Clay 64-24 ... Waverly won twice but have lost the 2 games vs the big boyz (Warren, Ironton) ... I feel comfortable where I have the group waiting at the top of the Treehugger list=> Valley, Waverly, FU, Oak HIll, Fairland, Hillsboro ... I hope I can get out to see the "current" boro squad at full strength - saw them vs Logan Elm in game one - haven't had the opportunity to see Oak Hill either this year ... BUT I have seen 16 of my top 20 teams , I feel I have given them all a fair ranking based on my firsthand comparisons, records, strength of schedules etc. ...

First please allow me to say that you're in my prayers pfloyd! I've long been a fan of "the Elite 8", and I'm an even bigger fan of the outlook you've expressed towards your personal battle!!!

Now, to the portions of your post that I've quoted....

By my own admission, I tend to see Lucasville Valley athletics through "rose-colored glasses" from time to time :mrgreen: :oops: But, as a die-hard BASKETBALL fan, former/current player, coach and sports writer; I also think I've got enough of a knowledge base to take part in the "debate" portion of this outstanding annual thread 8)

As is common (and occasionally over-used) knowledge at this point, the Valley Indians got the latest start to their basketball season of EVERY team eligible for the Elite 8. That being the case, they opened the season with the Eastern Pike Eagles (legit contender for the SOC I title and a D-4 District contender) and Zane Trace on back-to-back nights AND BOTH on the road. The Indians escaped Beaver with a win on opening night, only to be ousted by some sharp-shooting by the Pioneers following an outstanding comeback on night two. Not only did the Indians not get much practice time following their opening weekend, they got a date with the Ironton Fighting Tigers (the Tigers' resume speaks for itself). Not only did the Indians play well that night, it is quite safe to say they flat out let a huge win get away from them in the closing seconds. That game serves as proof that you cannot substitute practice time.......which leads me to the next portion of your post that I quote......While the Indians only obtained a 40 point drubbing of a team from "the end table" during the break, they actually obtained MUCH MUCH MORE, they got PRACTICE TIME! That should certainly bode well for the Indians moving forward and should be noted by interested observers throughout the SE District. This was a team that based on their athleticism and "variables" went 5-2(3-0 SOC 2) through the 2011 portion of the schedule. Now, they have not only 7 games under their belt, but a full month of basketball and all the practice time that comes with it.

I know I'm biased, but with the Indians size (6'2", 6'2", 6'3", 6'3", 6'3", 6'5", 6'5" and 6'6" are the heights of the 5 seniors, 1 junior and 2 sophmores that make up Valley's top 8 rotation), star power (Blake Yates is arguably one of the top 10-15 players in the list of Elite 8 eligible schools) and understanding of success (7 of the top 8 were starters/regulars on the 12-1 Regional Runner-up Football team) the Indians are poised to make a run.

I hope I helped my alma mater's case 8) 8) :122245

George Jones
Freshman Team

Post by George Jones »

pfloyd wrote:... the issues with where South Gallia, Eastern Reedsville and Southern are ranked will take care of themselves ON the court ... I haven't seen Southern with 6-7 Chandler Drummer in the lineup, obviously when you have athletic 6-7 size on the floor your team reaps benefits especially in Southern Ohio basketball ... but I feel good about where these teams are ranked at the moment, all 3 have opportunities to prove they deserve better or worse in the rankings within the league play and vs the "outlaws" on their schedules ...

I thought Southern already proved their self on the court against South Gallia but yet you have South Gallia ranked a head of them.I guess I don't follow your logic Southern loses to Eastern so they have to drop but South Gallia loses to Southern on their home floor and are 11 spots a head of Southern? I guess South Gallia gets a pass but Southern doesn't? You have to admit if you were a Southern fan you sure wouldn't agree with this.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

George Jones ... I already brought that to Floyd's attention ... He knows what he is doing (providing the Tornadoes with extra motivation) so what happened down at Eastern won't happen again ... :mrgreen:

Take the 'low ranking' and run with it - you have two games in the next four days to make a big statement. (vs Federal Hocking, @ Belpre)

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”