danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Post by danicalifornia »

Southeastern 41
Peebles 39

McClain 49
Unioto 39
Unioto played without Cole Murray again and Chase Detillion left due to an injury. Hopefully, they get healthy in a hurry with Westfall and Southeastern next weekend.

Huntington 59
Lynchburg 50

Paint Valley 57
Western 42
Last edited by danicalifornia on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Final

Ironton................62
Spring Valley, WV...42

Ironton (10-2)

Ironton..53 - Lucasville (10-2)..........50
Ironton..66 - Portsmouth (11-2)........52
Ironton..44 - Waverly (10-2).............42
Ironton..62 - Huntington,WV (3-5).....54
Ironton..64 - ST Clairsville (8-2)........51
Ironton..53 - Brookhaven (7-4)..........48
Ironton..62 - Brook Point, VA (10-5)...58

Chesapeake (10-1)...69 - Ironton.........66
Ironton..63 - Gallia Academy (3-9).....35
Ironton..69 - Ashland, KY (10-8)........68

Greenup CO (10-9)...62 - Ironton.........57
Ironton..62 - Spring Valley (2-7)........42
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ovcfan12
Riding the Bench

Post by ovcfan12 »

Pfloyd can't wait to see where Fairland ranks after a 39? Point win over rock hill at their place then won by 20 against coal grove at home . then came back Saturday night which you saw them personally beat south Webster by 25

N B Heat
Freshman Team

Post by N B Heat »

Big showdown in the SOC2 Tuesday 17th . Waverly visits Valley ! Both heavyweights come in at 10-2 the place will be a-rockin ! Love 2 see you there PFLOYD !

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

should be a great one, Valley seems to be hitting on all cylinders

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Beast of the Southeast Wrap-up ...

... the unquestionable winner(s) of the day at the Beast of the Southeast : ANYONE who had Mrs. Hintz's "Filipino Pancit Noodle" dish in the Hospitality Room!!! delicious !!! ... Great day of hoops! even better day of socializing with a great basketball "town" - the people of Chesapeake, Ohio ... the 1 day event gets better every year with this being year number 3 for the annual event - a great celebration of boys high school basketball ... Mrs. Pfloyd and myself, felt right at home among the "purple people" , so many people introducing themselves, extending their hand, opening up - SEOPsters, parents players past and present, coaches, assistant coaches, school employees ... all I can say is a very heartfelt - thank you ... I was very humbled by the experience - great food, great basketball, great people <= The Beast of the Southeast ...

... oh yeh, there was basketball happening ALL day as well LOL ... I missed the first 6 1/2 minutes of the opening game between Lucasville Valley and South Point ... by the time I got settled in the Cheap Seats Valley had staked themselves to a 15-2 lead finishing out the quarter 6-4 LVHS ... Valley 21 South Point 6 end of one ... game, set and match Lucasville Valley 71 South Point 44 final ... I'm not sure who the pundit was who said "size doesn't matter"??? - I'm thinking Coach Barnes - SP head man- begs to differ as his pointers were outsized across the board - the Indians of Valley SHORTEST player in the starting lineup is PG Blake Yates 6-3 while SP's tallest starter stood at 6-1 ... size does matter ... the Pointers were stuck in the "one shot and done" mode as the inside size of Lucasville kept any Pointer chance of making a run on the back burner while making the "shoot 'til you make it" a common theme for the Indians at the offensive end ( oh by the way THAT didn't need to happen much with the assists at At the Rim by Blake Yates for Valley - "one and IN" was the norm for Lucasville) ... Valley looks like they have made the full transition to hoops from the gridiron ... which by the way except for a couple of early season losses when Valley was coming literally "straight" from the state football playoffs to the hardwood ( Zane Trace, Ironton 50-53) might have these Indians sitting near the top of the Elite 8 ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - South Point ...

Scoring : Brandon Barnes 23, Austin Jeffreys 10, Kurt Adams 7, Austin Majher 3

3 pointers : 6/21 ... Jeffreys 3, Barnes 2, Adams 1 ...

FTs : 15/22

TOs : 16

ATR : 3 baskets

Transition (T) : 0

PB (Put Back Baskets) : 0

...Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Lucasville Valley ...

Scoring : Blake Yates 16, Rob Dwyer 11, Hayden Dunn 9, Jordan West 9, Patrick Riehl 8, Curt Crabtree 6, Chris Flowers 6, Luke Keller 5, Will Howard 1 ...

3 Pointers : 5/14 ... Yates 2, Flowers 2, West 1

FT's : 16/26

TO's : 17

ATR : 10

T : 1

Put Back Baskets : 7

... more from the BoftheSE ... game #2 Athens vs Waverly ...

... Waverly came into the game breathing the rare air of the Elite 8 for the first time this season ... Kretzer & Co. coming off wins over South Webster (58-48) and Northwest (68-39) in the Week that Is brought a "patient" offensive look , stifling defensive pressure from the 2nd quarter on turn away TVC representative Athens ... Athens made a game of it in the 1st quarter as the Bulldog Freshmen duo of Luehrman/Burrow accounted for 10 of 12 AHS points while the Tigers struck from deep with treys from Kelly/White/Kretzer ...Waverly 13 Athens 12 end of one ... Seems like ALL of the upper tier teams have a 2nd gear - that 2nd gear almost ALWAYS comes from turning up the heat at the defensive end, creating offense from the defensive end <= Waverly has that 2nd gear, a half court trapping D, spearheaded with Jake Kretzer out front - forced 6 Athens TOs in the quarter/ 2 quick transition baskets ... Defensive pressure turned a tight 1 point game into a 34-22 Waverly lead going into intermission ... half number two was ALL Tigers as the WHS defense held Athens to 17 points ... Waverly 60 Athens 39 final

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring : Joey Burrow 16, Ryan Luehrman 7, Kramer Simmons 6, Jared Elmore 4, Nick Stanley/Josh Skinner 2 each

3 Pointers: 3/14 ... Burrow 3

FTs : 8/11

TOs : 12

ATR : 5

T: 0

... Pfloyd's Official/UNOfficial Napkin Stats - Waverly ...

Scoring : Jake Kretzer 26, Devin Kelly 13, Phillip Hart 10, Jean Paul White 8, Taylor Ward 3

3 Pointers : 9/21 ... Kelly 3, White 2, Hart 2, Kretzer 2 ... 4 different players with at least 2 treys for the game - nice ...

FTs : 3/4

TOs : 8

ATR : 10 baskets

T: 3

... I jotted down a few notes on Waverly - patience on the offensive end, take care of the ball : WHS gets "shots on goal" only 8 TOs, defensive intensity ... NOT a deep bench ... I've seen Waverly 3 times - each time I've seen improvement in a different phase of the game each time ... not sure I'd want to play these Tigers in the post season ...

... more coming Game #3 ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Game #3 was one of THE games I want to see Saturday afternoon ... I had put the Eastern Brown Warriors of Coach Beucler in my Pre-Season Elite 8 ... I have a great deal of respect for the "coaching/teaching" component that Coach Beucler brings to his "program", last season I felt the only part of the EB game that was missing was at the offensive end ... great defense, fundamentally sound at both ends of the floor AND Coach Beucler teams/the players LEARN/KNOW how to play their position and the game of basketball - this ALL added up to a big season for the Warriors this year BUT (and there is always a BUT) injuries (Chase Lawson) have kept THE EB TEAM off the court UNTIL the last 2 weeks -hmmmmm so happens that Eastern Brown is now playing the best hoops West of Rt. 23 ... Saturday afternoon Coach Beucler brought his EB boyz East of Rt.23 to take on the Vinton County Vikings of Coach Combs ... put the teams on the court and you "got" a very good high school basketball game ...

... "I got" what I perceived I would get at the beginning of the season out of Eastern Brown ... THE team I envisioned showed up - great patience on offense, solid ball movement, picking/cutting offense, Coach Beucler is probably one of the few coaches in high school basketball in the "age of the 3 ball" who teachers/runs his offense to get the "open mid range/2 point shot" !!! great to watch a TEAM with solid passing skills, ball movement that works to get the shots THEY WANT - not just what they can get -but what THEY WANT at the offensive end of the floor ... of course I'm a little strange when I analyze a basketball team - I look for the athletes in warm ups - the shooting form, foot work, hands (catching ability) - I also look at what do the coaches have the players doing in warmups? - Coach Beucler has the EB boyz doing "passing drills" - bounce passes, overhead passes etc. - in my little mind seeing how a team passes the ball (a fundamental) tells me where the fundamentals of the game lie on the priority list of the program ... Coach Beucler? fundamentals ARE a top priority ... goes from bounce passes, to sound rebounding position, how the players protect the ball under pressure, strong positions in the paint on the offensive end ... BOTTOM LINE - EB now has the pieces in place to be a MAJOR threat in the post season and will play a big role in the outcome of the SHL in the second half of the reg season ... (hmmmmm can you tell I'm very high on both Coach Beucler and Eastern Brown???) ... Eastern Brown 56 Vinton County 43 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Vinton County ...

Scoring : Jordan Kidd 15, Bryce Owings 13, Ryan Chesser 5, LB Remy 4, #5 3 pts, A. Owings 1, Holsinger 2

3 pointers : 3/16 ... Kidd 2, #5 off the bench 1

FTs : 10/24

TOs : 14

ATR : 8

T : only 2 ... with the VC lack of inside size the offense they get or don't get out of their defense is important, when they don't get it the Vikings struggle 2 transition buckets puts the pressure on the VC perimeter game ...

... Coach Combs didn't have the services of starting PG Matt Smallwood in this one ... Ryan Chesser being held to but 4 points by EB was a key in the VC loss imo ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Eastern Brown ...

Scoring : Jordan Payne 18, Chase Lawson 15, Nathan Scott 8, Conner Purdin 6, Josh Boudreau 5, Riley Prine 4

3 pointers : 4/9 ... Payne 3, Lawson 1

FTs : 12/14

TOs : 18 ... 13 in the first half/only 5 in the last 2 quarters/only 1 in the 4th quarter ...

ATR : 5 baskets ...

T: 2

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Game #4 ... Fairland vs South Webster ... I had seen the Dragons of Fairland vs Alexander during the holiday season - came away with the view that FHS has a very nice ball club - big man who PLAYS as a post player (6-5 Evan Salyers) ... a PG who can the ball up court under pressure, distribute the ball, play tough perimeter, on the ball defense (freshman Nathan Campbell), good supporting cast of players who know their roles (Evan Maddox, Blaine Fuller, Eric Riley) ... a bench which can give some good minutes when needed (Ryan Wooten, Cody Midkiff) ...put it all together with a coaching staff which emphasizes the importance of "fundamentally sound" defense, patience on the offensive end, ball movement - you get a winner ... FHS has not disappointed - after seeing them for the 2nd time I come away with more positive impressions of the Dragons ... ANOTHER one of those ball clubs that I would not want to play at any point in the post season ...

... my first look at the South Webster Jeeps this season ... played solid basketball at both ends of the floor for 2 quarters as they forced quarter breaks of Fairland 17 So. Webster 15 after one followed up with another even quarter of play by both teams Fairland 32 vs South Webster 30 going into intermission ... as is always the case - the good ones turn things UP a notch at both ends of the floor at some point, they find that second gear ... Fairland tightened the defensive screws in half number 2 forcing the Jeeps into 11 TOs, allowing SW but 4 fgs in the both the 3rd/4th periods COMBINED , allowed only 13 second half points by SW ... start the buses Fairland 68 vs South Webster 43 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - South Webster ...

Scoring : Austin Loop 17, Lance Swords 7, Seth Goddard 6, Jensen Dyer 4, #5 4 points (not in the program), David Sutton 3, Levi Cook 2

3 pointers : 2/10 ... Loop 2

FTs : 15/18

TOs : 18

ATR : 5 baskets

T : 2

... South Webster looked to be blindsided by a "machine" at both ends of the floor in Fairland ... a "solid" TEAM in the Dragons which never let up the pressure at either end of the floor ... when you have a BIG (6-5), WIDE (230-50), ATHLETIC TRUE POST PLAYER WHO SCORES IN THE PAINT & CAN HIT THE 10-12 FOOTER as Fairland has in Evan Salyers FHS rarely goes long stretches without scoring - lots to like about the Green/White Dragons of Fairland ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Fairland ...

Scoring : Evan Salyers 25, Evan Maddox 17, Blaine Fuller 11, Eric Riley 7, Cody Mdkiff 5, Nathan Campbell 3

3 Pointers : 4/6 ... Maddox 3, Midkiff 1

FTs : 20/26

TOs : 6 ... the Green/White take care of the ball - nice stat

T: 1

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the Finale' of a great day of high school basketball - the home town Chesapeake Panthers vs Russell KY Red Devils ... the ONLY way to cap off the day was to have the host TEAM from Chesapeake knock off the "foreign" squad from across the river - yea when you are the host you can write the "story book ending" ... Chesapeake 75 vs Russell KY 48 a final ...

... Chesapeake Panthers = Patrick Hintz (yep, his mom makes the Pancit Noodle dish I gained 3 lbs eating), Eric Kennedy, Jason Thompson, Austin McMaster, Brandon Noble , Austin Meadows = TEAM ... Russell kept this one close in the first half not because of what they were doing but due to poor perimeter shooting by the Panthers - the 'Peake had GOOD looks but nothing was falling, even on drives to the rim the ball was taking those extra rolls OFF the rim <= Peake was 1/8 from behind the arc in the first 2 qtrs ... 4 TOs ... 2/3 FTs BUT when good TEAMS aren't hitting from outside they take the ball to the rim - CHS picked up 7 baskets ATR (at the rim) in the first half of action ... Chesapeake 25 vs Russell 21 at intermission ... My guess is that Coach Davis had the "lid taken off of the basket at the 'peake end of the floor" in the 2nd half - wow!!! Two things happened after intermission 1) the Panther defensive pressure was turned on "High" - which forced 5 RHS turnovers but the biggest side effect is that it turned up the tempo of the game, the tempo increased=> the Russell offense took quickER shots=>2) the Chesapeake offense was more in rhythm - 7/11 from behind the arc = 50 points in the second half (hmmmm that foreign team got 48 for the game) = WIN ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Russell KY...

Scoring : Kyle Skaggs 21, Bailey 8, Parsley 6, Tackett 5, Dehoff 3, Smith 2, Couchot 2, Hayes 1

3 Pointers : 2/12 ... Skaggs 1, Tackett 1

FTs : 10/15

TOs : 13

T : 1

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Chesapeake ...

Scoring : Austin McMaster 23, Javon Thompson 18, Patrick Hintz 13, Eric Kennedy 10, Brandon Noble 9, Chad Meadows 2

3 Pointers : 8/19 ... Thompson 4, Hintz 2, McMaster 2 ... 7/11 after intermission ...

FTs : 7/10

TOs : 7

ATR : 12 baskets

T: 5

... Coach Davis' Chesapeake TEAM showed why they are a solid performing TEAM every game - 32 minutes of non-stop play at both ends of the floor ... the 'peake has got to be one of the BEST conditioned teams anywhere ... Austin McMaster gets his points in the flow of the offense - knows how to get to the rim and does, his outside threat to score the 3 opens up the driving lanes, while his length allows him to post up inside ... Patrick Hintz is that "offensive player" who will get his 9/10 points out of what the defense gives him, if the defense sags to double up on McMaster - Hintz makes them pay ... Javon Thompson is the ALL AROUND athlete at both ends - great perimeter/on the ball D along with Hintz while being the Panthers #2 option at the offensive end ... Eric Kennedy is a double digit threat from the perimeter, while again giving the Panthers inside length to get those all important ATR points ... Brandon Noble might just be that ultimate role player - great defense, physical in the paint, hits the boards hard, starts the transition offense AND can get you that double double nightly ... the key to the Panthers is that everything they do - offensively/defensively- they do for the entire 32 minutes, no let down, while keeping enough in the tank to "turn it up" defensively - that second gear that ALL of the good teams have on the defensive end ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... Take a breath buddy - slow down - I'm still trying to read game #3 and #4 here!

Thx for the recaps ... and tell Mrs. Floyd we feel for her - for having to putting up with your obsession of high school hoops ... lol ... I'm sure she was dragging you by your Chuck Taylors last night to get you out of the Chesapeake Gymnasium.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

Is the new poll coming out tonight Pfloyd?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Grinder ... I just finished getting it all worked out - getting ready to type it up/post it on SEOPs ... my guess (since I type as fast as maybe 3 or 4 fingers can type LOL) it will be posted at MidNight tonight ... I can say that we have "newbies" for the 2nd week in a row making their way into the Elite 8 ... the question is however did the Elite 8 ,which went to the Elite 11 last week, go to the Elite 11+??????? ;-p

... Midnight posting of this weeks Elite 8, Treehugger Wannabes, End Table Teams it is ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”