Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4

Post by smurray »

Waverly 89
Piketon 64

Kretzer with 43, 3/4 length shot at first half buzzer to score 21 first half points only totopthat with 22 second half.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... You and I need to get on these coaches before next season and ask them to please measure each kid ... lol ... Or get their height from the physical each high school athlete has to take - because a lot of the info we look at (the preview in the Messenger, programs, etc...etc...) seems to be waaaaaaay off on some teams.

I went down to watch Southern play Meigs, and uh, the Tornadoes are a lot bigger than what the program/preview says ... I had them picked to win the Hocking going into the season - but wasn't sold completely thinking they were lacking some height ... They have a center (who is not even in the preview or the program we got at the shriners preview) that is at least 6-foot-5, maybe even 6-foot-6 ... Andrew Roseberry is listed at 6'1 and he's taller than that ... The preview has Nathan Roberts at 6-foot-1 and he's at least 6'3 ... Marcus Hill & Dustin Custer are not 5'11 - they are more like 6'0 or even 6'1.

I mean, they are a big, strong group of athletes - not your typical undersized, Division IV TVC-Hocking team.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... those coaches are definitely "used car salesman" types when it comes to those heights ... I was looking at one of the programs from the Logan Sectional from last February ... they had their PG Jordan Barr listed as 6-2 , he might be 5-9! then you have the coach that goes the other way ie. that Southern bunch - giants they are for a school buried in Southeast Ohio LOL ... I'm thinkin' we could levy a "fine" of some type against those coaches falsifying heights ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... still looking for results from ...

Liberty Union
Nelsonville York

Paint Valley
CNE

Sheridan
Consulation game of the Newark Catholic Tourney

Portsmouth East
Rose Hill KY

Ironton St Joe
Portsmouth Notre Dame

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Congratulations to Coach Helber and the Purple boyz! the hardest thing to do in basketball when things aren't going right in the win/loss column is to figure out how to be the team leading at the end of a game ... you have a lead , the opposition hits a couple shots, you turn the ball over a couple of times , players start looking at the clock wondering IF they can outlast the opposition <= a TOUGH position to be in trying to break into the win column on that handy dandy pocket schedule ... my hat goes off to the boyz in Purple & White - feels good doesn't it ? LOL ... maybe NOW everyone can relax, play to win instead of playing NOT to lose ... congratulations ...

... I'm sure there will be those that will have much to say about Logan's play - taking apart this part of the game or that part of the game- getting the first "W" of the season isn't about style points it's about finishing the game with more points than the opposition ... tonight happened to be Vinton County ... tonight Logan DID finish with more points than the opposition => MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - THE "W" ...

... this game was won in the 2nd quarter as the Chiefs put up there biggest "quarter" offensive output of the season ... look at the 2nd quarter napkin stats for Logan : Outscored VC 26-11 in the quarter ... ONLY 3 TOs for LHS in the quarter while the Chiefs D forced 6 by VC ... Logan hit 7 threes in the quarter ALL within the flow of the offense (7/10 from behind the arc in the qtr ... 5 different shooters hitting 3 pointers in the 2nd) ... Logan 34 vs Vinton County 25 at intermission so happens that the final point spread was the same 9 points gained in that 2nd period Logan 62 Vinton County 53 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Vinton County ...

Scoring : Ryan Chesser 13, Bryce Owings 12, Jordan Kidd 9, Alex Owings 8, LB Remy 6, Holsinger 3, Smallwood 2

3 Pointers : 4/17 ... Remy 2, Kidd 1, Chesser 1

FTs : 5/9

TOs : 15

ATR (At The Rim) : 14 baskets for the game

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring : Tristan Myers 14, Josh Mutzner 11, Gaven Jourdan 10, McNeal 8, Luke Miller 7, Nik Wotring 5, Ronnie Webb 5, Josh Vermillion 2 ... ( Logan's bench put up 32 points- Myers/McNeal/Wotring/Webb)

3 Pointers : Jourdan 3, Miller 1, McNeal 1, Wotring 1, Webb 1

FTs : 12/25 - OUCH!!!

TOs: 22

ATR : 6

... The Purple is at Jackson Friday night 1/6 ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... jottings the JV score from Logan vs Vinton Co.:

Logan JV 38
VC JV 36 OT

lebasketball
Riding the Bench

Post by lebasketball »

CNE 58

Paint Valley 55

From WKKJ

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thx lebasketball ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Not a great night for the SVC on Friday(or Thursday either)

Logan Elm dominates Zane Trace, 53-29. ZT drops to 3-4 and didn't have a player in double digits.

Westfall loses in OT to Circleville, 42-40. Westfall is now 1-8 after beating McClain to start the year. Circleville is now 7-1, a year after going 5-17 and losing 5 of their top 6. I'd say they are the surprise team of the year in the SE District. Only dropping a 2 pt decision against Fairfield Union, BUT, they haven't played Canal, Amanda, Bloom, or Logan Elm yet. We'll see how strong they are in 2012. But, they play good enough defense to give themselves a shot.

Paint Valley falls to CNE 58-55 at the Lynchburg Tournament. PV is now 2-7.

Piketon only down 10 after 3, but then Waverly blew it open. Piketon is now 5-2. The trio of Brabson, Farmer, and Moore should keep them in the thick of the SVC race.

Unioto had the huge(and only) win of the night. Washington is now 2-5, but their athleticism will give teams fits, especially at home. Murray's reaction after his big 3 is why he's a special player, just a small, subtle fist pump and then gathered his teammates to prepare for OT, waited to celebrate until finishing the win.

Piketon @ Unioto on Friday will be the big game of the week in the SVC, then Piketon meets Vinton County at OU-Chillicothe Saturday night.
Zane Trace @ Huntington, Huntington travels to Lucasville Valley Saturday night
Westfall @ Adena
Southeastern @ Paint Valley

open_post
Freshman Team

Post by open_post »

Sheridan 86 Grove City Christian 56 according to Columbus dispatch

Scoring for Logan Elm

Young 22 with 6 three pointers
Riffle 10

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Circleville and Amanda are both good stories with 7-1 marks in the MSL-Buckeye. We'll learn more about Circleville when they travel to Canal Winchester on Friday. I've been pretty sick this week, so haven't been to any games - I was going to see CHS play twice. Anxious to go to Canal next week for the ballgame.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I seem to remember Nelsonville-York taking a lot of heat for losing to a 'team that hasn't been very good in basketball'. (Amanda Clearcreek 7-1)

That 55-51 set back, one of only 3 losses for the Buckeyes, doesn't seem that bad when you go back and look at it.

FLOYD ... I wanted to come up to Logan last night - but didn't think I could take ALL the purple (Logan) and Maroon (VC) ... So I go to Meigs instead and what do I find? A sea of purple (Southern) and a gymnasium decked out in maroon (Meigs) ... lol ... go figure.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Bulldog- I jumped on NY about that, but a lot of it was because of the ridiculous amount of Jay Kline haters on the site, LOL. I've seen Amanda and Circleville twice and they both win because of defense and decent bigs. I think both finish no higher than 4th in the MSL, but that's not a bad thing, especially for teams who were at the bottom of the league last year.

Good win for Chillicothe without Zach Johnson, but Warren is going to be a whole new monster on Friday.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Really looking forward to Chilli Warren should be a great one that could really bunch up the top of the SEOAL or set Warren as the team to have to chase

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

LetsGoPSU wrote:Really looking forward to Chilli Warren should be a great one that could really bunch up the top of the SEOAL or set Warren as the team to have to chase
Zach Johnson being out for CHS is going to make it easier for Warren. But, The Hat is still a tough place to get a W.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

No Johnson? Warren should win.

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Understatement to say this is a pivotal game....Johnson or not, Warrior fans know this will be a tough, physical, defensive game....will come down to the 4th quarter and who can execute at the end....if Warren shoots well, they have a good chance....the BLUE 6th man will show up....em mass!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Holiday Hoops is the craziest time of the year !!!! Ohio teams playing "foreign" teams , teams Below the Line playing teams Above the Line , holiday tournaments, consolation games that folks feel are not important enough to report scores or winners of, Christian schools vs Non-Christian schools? does that put the Non-Christian schools at an automatic disadvantage??? - craziness I tell you!!!!!... in all seriousness - trying to keep the records straight and account for all games played is next to impossible BUT the committee of one - me - I've been working on ALL of those records for the 70 schools Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... I have "napkins" all over the floor - trying to keep Mrs. Pfloyd's "lap dogs" from ripping them up or eating the ones that have ketsup and mustard from those holiday dogs - nearly impossible I say !!! ... next step is to update the records all in one place "One BA Napkin" THEN to finally sit down and look over the results - who played who? wins/losses? - before putting them on the Elite 8, Treehugger Wannabes, and on the End Table ...

... The new Elite 8 rankings will be up tomorrow 1/1/12 ...

blacknblue
JV Team

Post by blacknblue »

Look foward to seeing the new rankings Floyd i love this thread GREAT WORK!!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... a quick look at how last weeks Elite 8 fared during the holiday week ...

1. Ironton (7-0/0-1) ... Losing at home to Chesapeake 66-69 ...

2. Warren (7-0/1-0) ... picked up the sweep of rival Fort Frye with a nice win on the road 54-50 ...

3. Portsmouth (5-2/2-0) ... Trojans stayed at home for the holidays getting wins over Cincinnatti Prep Academy 81-55 before beating up one of those "foreign" teams from across the river Russell KY 78-50 ...

4. Logan Elm (5-1/2-0) ... wins over one win Westfall 51-41 followed by shutting down SVC Zane Trace 51-29 ...

4. Huntington (6-0/1-1) ... HHS traveled to Wellston for the Rockets annual tourney getting an opening "W" vs Teays Valley Christian Academy 66-46 ... theh Huntsmen didn't fare as well in the Championship games as the home standing Wellston squad handed HHS their first loss of the season in OT 56-58 ...

5. Chesapeake (5-1/1-0) ... the 'Peake Panthers" took on the high flying Ironton Tigers at I'town in Southern Ohio's Game of the Week ... Coach Davis' Panthers came out with a 69-66 "W" to hand the Fighting Tigers their first setback of the season ...

6. Chillicothe (5-2/1-1) ... the Cavs came into the holiday week having lost 2 straight games (Portsmouth/Akron Buchtel)... the week didn't start any better as Chillicothe lost to undefeated Eastmoor Academy (6-0) 47-61 ... with Zac Johnson serving game 1 of a 2 games suspension Chilli road the offensive/defensive strength of 6-8 Malik London to a 46-41 win over MSL Fairfield Union ...

7. Peebles (5-0/2-0) ... the Indian of PHS remained undefeated by knocking off North Adams 59-45 and beating the Greyhounds of Manchester for the second time in as many attempts for the season ...

8. Unioto (5-1/1-1) ... the Shermans of UHS split games for the holiday losing to Amanda Clear Creek 42-47 before getting a bounce back "W" vs Washington Court House for the SVC's only win on the last night of the 2011 portion of the season winning 65-63 ...

... how will the wins/loses in the Elite 8 effect the rankings in the Week that IS ? ... will anyone NEW creep into the rare air of the top 8 teams in Southern/SouthEast Ohio ? ... the committee is working feverishly to get the rankings done as the end of the 2011 portion of the season closed on high school hoops Friday night ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”