Regional Championship THE South Webster Jeeps vs Berlin Hiland

val13
Freshman Team

Re: Regional Championship THE South Webster Jeeps vs Berlin Hiland

Post by val13 »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:49 pm
swjeep4 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:43 pm Has SW ever beat Hiland in any sport? I can’t recall a time I remember them beating them in basketball, soccer, anything… Boys or girls for that matter.
The SE District is like 10-250 against Hiland…not sure if it’s even 10.
I’m not sure of the overall record of the last 25 or so years, but the last team from the southeast district to beat Berlin Hiland was New Boston in the 2020-2021 D4 Regional Final 44-39.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

South Webster 45
Hiland 48 OT a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - South Webster

Scoring ... Eli Roberts 24, Tyler Sommer 6, Dylan Shupert 6, Christian White 5, Owen Mault 2, Jack Timothy 2
3 Pointers ... 2/5 … Eli Roberts 2
FTs ... 13/16
TOs ... 21
PnP ... 11 fgs/ 22 points in the paint
PnT ... 4 fgs/ 8 points in transition
Pbk ... 1 fgs/ 2 points on putback buckets
Rbs ... 23

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Berlin Hiland

Scoring ... Sammy Detweiler 16, Nick Wigton 13, Alex Miller 10, Sam Wengerd 9
3 Pointers ... 5/23 ... Nick Wigton 3, Sammy Detweiler 2
FTs ... 3/5
TOs ... 10
PnP ... 8 fgs/ 16 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/4 points in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/2 points on putback buckets

Bonus Napkin Stats :

SW shot more than 50% from the field in all qtrs/ 60% for the game
SW was 15/25 from the field (only 25 shots for the game, ONLY 12 shots on goal in the 2nd half!)
Berlin Hiland had 18 points off of SW turnovers
Berlin Hiland took twice the number of shots 49 making 20 for 40.8% from the field for the game

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:54 am I see spalding22 is trying to poke at the Burg community again

And apparently has picked a bone of contention with the coaching there at Webster

Adding that up he’s probably from burg, or don’t like the burg kids getting playing time or has not been offered a coaching job at Webster. Whatever the reason, he’s very touchy about it.

I thought websters hot start would be enough to carry them over but it wasn’t. Most competitive basketball games are about runs. Coaches try to manage those as best they can with their timeouts, line up changes, etc.

I said in the beginning, that Hiland didn’t have an answer for Roberts and that they did for the others and that those guys would have to ball out. They did for the first and half of the 3rd. But they needed to the whole game.

Still a great run and an elite 8 is a great season
Or maybe Spalding was poking a person disguising themselves as a Wheelersburg fan to see whether or not they actually were a Wheelersburg fan. Does not matter Woby. No disrespect. I have agreed with you on things, and I have disagreed with you on things. You hold a good adversarial conversation. I have no real qualms with Wheelersburg, and I have given them compliments as noted above, especially with their football and baseball teams. Regarding the Webster-Hiland game, I could not help but notice a lack of leadership among the coaches, which included substitution issues, communication, and game management. If I am not mistaken, the Scottish kid didn't see much time in the second half, and he seemed to have a big impact on the boards in the first half. I did not see any real play calling. Plays give teams structure and purpose. The plays I saw, if they were actually plays were designed to drain the clock. Sure, good season, but I think anyone with a basketball mind, as well as some impartiality can look at the Hiland game and come to the conclusion that it was disappointing Webster did not win and coaching was a substantial part. I think discussions are good, and this is a great platform for discussions to perhaps create friendly interactions, hype, and maybe even change. As noted above, by a few others, Webster had a 15 point lead, they had a better team, and from my perception, those two things in the aggregate suggest the game was a coaching blunder. I believe if you had a sit-down with a handful of experienced coaches, they would say the same. I don't believe I have said anything offensive, and if I have, it was about Wheelersburg, but in a joking manner by way of the stereotypes surrounding them. If I have offended anyone from south Webster, well they are either too sensitive or just trying to protect their relationship interest with the coaches. Nonetheless, It was a fun season. I enjoyed the conversation.

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

After taking the time read through all the posts, there were some very good takes & some not so good. First off, congrats to the Jeeps on an outstanding season! Nothing to be ashamed of at all! I’ve saw several posts stating that SW was the better team…but as someone who has watched every game besides 2 this year I disagree with that. We had the best player on the court in ER & he didn’t disappoint. Should we have won that game? Absolutely. BUT, Hiland played uncharacteristicly sloppy in the first half & shot like 20 something percent. I don’t know this for a fact but I’m going to guess 12 first half points was their lowest of the year. And ER did his thing and some other guys chipping in early and that paired with Hilands awful start propelled the Jeeps ahead early. But watching, I knew they’d eventually start hitting shots and finishing the bunnies they had missed in the first half. We can all second guess the coaching, play calling & substitutions but the coaches didn’t turn the ball over 21 times & the coaches didn’t miss wide open uncontested layups….that’s on the players, and I do agree SW got tired and that contributed to some of the physical & mental mishaps late in the game. But I just can’t put that on the coaches given the year we had. I thought we SHOULD win the district and anything extra was a bonus. I will say this coaching staff by far got the most out of ER that the previous regime couldn’t and that alone got us to nearly punching a ticket to state. I think we will be right back here next year and maybe better. Losing Sommer will hurt, a lot. But I expect Barnard to make a huge jump and fill most of that void. No secret that guard play was out Achilles heel all year but they’re all coming back and hopefully put in the work to be better. But I’m expecting the our JV p guard, Mcclintic to be ready to make a impact next year as he looks like he has the skill set, just needs to add some strength. I also see Stephens making a big jump and giving us some good minutes too. We will have the pieces to make just as far as a run if not further esp with the new division alignment. But great season by our boys, the future is bright!

Barn Baller
Waterboy

Post by Barn Baller »

I disagree that South Webster had the better team. Think Roberts was the best player but Hiland has more kids that can hurt you. A lot more big game experience as well. Eli Roberts and his antics seemed to have the rest of his teammates scared to shoot the ball and be aggressive. SWs other shooter Sommer I believe was very gaurdable and the gaurds didn't want to shoot the ball.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:54 am I see spalding22 is trying to poke at the Burg community again

And apparently has picked a bone of contention with the coaching there at Webster

Adding that up he’s probably from burg, or don’t like the burg kids getting playing time or has not been offered a coaching job at Webster. Whatever the reason, he’s very touchy about it.

I thought websters hot start would be enough to carry them over but it wasn’t. Most competitive basketball games are about runs. Coaches try to manage those as best they can with their timeouts, line up changes, etc.

I said in the beginning, that Hiland didn’t have an answer for Roberts and that they did for the others and that those guys would have to ball out. They did for the first and half of the 3rd. But they needed to the whole game.

or maybe someone that complained about burg coaching, then took his kid to webster and doesnt like the coaching there either. see a pattern?

The3LeggedMan
Waterboy

Post by The3LeggedMan »

fbnut wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm

or maybe someone that complained about burg coaching, then took his kid to webster and doesnt like the coaching there either. see a pattern?
Those coaches better shape up or they'll cut off the free rib meals and no Rasslin' tickets!

Return to “Boys Basketball”