Regional Championship THE South Webster Jeeps vs Berlin Hiland

Gray Cat
Varsity

Re: Regional Championship THE South Webster Jeeps vs Berlin Hiland

Post by Gray Cat »

Spalding22 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:32 pm Hahaha and you must not be a basketball guy at all. Rather just an internet sleuth who has taken an interest in my posts. Animosity, no, my friend. Just a person who is sad for the kids. The only real coach who seems to be a student of the craft rather than a political wonder chasing talent is Woodward from Burg. Estep can get a nod too. Those guys wouldn’t lose with advantages like that. If you can’t see what I saw, well, again, one doesn’t know what one doesn’t know.
Yeah, he just doesn’t know. That made crystal clear by his reference to Norm and his diaper issues all the while insisting that he’s ignoring it. I actually feel sad for the fool.

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

greygoose wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:36 pm 21 turnovers
Ouch, couple that with no scoring in the 3rd, a missed wide open layup late in the game, 2 missed FTs late. Also in the 4th Hiland had 5 team fouls halfway thru the 4th to SW 2, could’ve attacked and shot FTs rest of the way.
Just wish someone would have told Fenton about the fouls. He seems to miss those types of things in big games when the heat is on and his cheeks get tight.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Not blaming Eli for missing those foul shots. His hip or something was definitely hurting him.

As for whites foul, don’t bitch about when the horse collar tackle wasn’t called in the first quarter either.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:02 pm Not blaming Eli for missing those foul shots. His hip or something was definitely hurting him.

As for whites foul, don’t bitch about when the horse collar tackle wasn’t called in the first quarter either.
I’m guessing his hip was hurting due to the beating he was taking with half the fouls not called. Wondering how that crew got a game this deep with their apparent whistle swallowing issues.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Webster was 13-16 at the line, including 10-12 from Roberts

Hiland was 3-5

Eli’s 2 missed FTs didn’t lose the game, like the referees didn’t really impact the game

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Gray Cat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:59 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:36 pm 21 turnovers
Ouch, couple that with no scoring in the 3rd, a missed wide open layup late in the game, 2 missed FTs late. Also in the 4th Hiland had 5 team fouls halfway thru the 4th to SW 2, could’ve attacked and shot FTs rest of the way.
Just wish someone would have told Fenton about the fouls. He seems to miss those types of things in big games when the heat is on and his cheeks get tight.
Yeah, very unfortunate. Shupert almost willed them to a win himself in spite of the poor play calling and personnel issues. Everyone played great. Roberts was on and played fearless. Defense was great. The truth hurts. It was just coaching.

Pirates03
Waterboy

Post by Pirates03 »

Spalding22 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:15 pm
Lovehoops1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:38 pm Wow at the time outs Fenton was drawing up plays Norm just looking around lost. It's unbelievable SW underachieving again this team just let it get away. Can't miss 2 FT in regulation and the travel turn over was HUGE. Congratulations Berlin Hiland great game
SW’s players did not lose that game. Anyone who watched Webster all year long could have anticipated the ending of the game if they stuck to their usual strategy. You have a 17 point lead, and you blow it by trying to play stall ball. That was despicable. Embarrassing for Scioto County to be truthful. Hats off to the kids. They played some of the best ball they’ve played all year. They should not have lost. I said it at the beginning of the year, and it holds true. Coaching will beat them in the tournament not the kids. It did. I just did not expect it from a coach with that many wins. Spalding out.
So my understanding is that norm and Fenton turned the ball over in critical moments and missed 2 huge free throws. Yes there were some coaching errors but it doesn’t change the fact that when they had a 23-7 lead it was the players were doing this and the players were doing that. But when they blew the lead it turns to the coaches are the one that lost the game.

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

Pirates03 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:09 pm
Lovehoops1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:38 pm Wow at the time outs Fenton was drawing up plays Norm just looking around lost. It's unbelievable SW underachieving again this team just let it get away. Can't miss 2 FT in regulation and the travel turn over was HUGE. Congratulations Berlin Hiland great game
SW’s players did not lose that game. Anyone who watched Webster all year long could have anticipated the ending of the game if they stuck to their usual strategy. You have a 17 point lead, and you blow it by trying to play stall ball. That was despicable. Embarrassing for Scioto County to be truthful. Hats off to the kids. They played some of the best ball they’ve played all year. They should not have lost. I said it at the beginning of the year, and it holds true. Coaching will beat them in the tournament not the kids. It did. I just did not expect it from a coach with that many wins. Spalding out.
So my understanding is that norm and Fenton turned the ball over in critical moments and missed 2 huge free throws. Yes there were some coaching errors but it doesn’t change the fact that when they had a 23-7 lead it was the players were doing this and the players were doing that. But when they blew the lead it turns to the coaches are the one that lost the game.
Yes good gawd let’s don’t blame the coaches for any loss. Especially the diaper legend. Have we forgotten about him winning state? Shameless.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

As I said on Page 3 of this post “SW should win this Game”, and they should have won. A lot of people want to say Webster played with Hiland but I think it was more like “Hiland played with Webster” and found a way to win.

The more talented team physically was South Webster but as I said earlier “The Game is not played on paper”. How Hiland over came all the injuries during the season to get to the Final Four is crazy. Kudos to the kids from Berlin.

I think the biggest question is what direction SW goes from here. Of course Roberts is back but they will miss Sommers. I would be very surprised if Coach Persin’s health will allow him to coach next year. What direction do they go from here? Time will tell.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

No, but the coaches had the wrong players in the game, tried to play stall ball, and Hilands defense exposed their biggest weakness. Ball handling. You can’t run stall ball plays beginning the second half when you have been known to turn the ball over when certain people put the ball on the floor. I’m not saying those players aren’t good or shouldnt be in the game, you just simply can’t force them to put the ball on the floor when they are turnover prone. You play to their strengths. Not their weaknesses. If you’re going to play stall ball in the 3rd, you better have your best 5 ball handlers on the floor. That’s giving the game away. 17 point lead at one point. 13 point lead at half time. You put on the breaks? Make sense, buddy?

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Someone texted me and asked me how Hiland won that game. I said I had no idea except I sensed it was mainly by depth and conditioning.

I rewatched the game. Here is the deal - the first 12 minutes of the game, SW was amazing - clearly the better team. But go back and watch the last 4 min of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th qtrs. In each case, Hiland won those segments, SW barely scored and committed a lot of turnovers.

Hiland won the last part of the second qtr by 5 to keep the game within reach.

SW had a 29-15 lead halfway through the 3rd, but Hiland won the last four min 6-2. Roberts was out with his 3rd foul in that stretch.

Hiland outscored the Jeeps 20-10 in the 4th qtr overall, but really put it to them the last four min.

Finally, SW did not score the last 2:45 of OT.

Hiland won because SW was too tired to execute well in the last 4 min of the 2nd thru 4th qtrs and the last 2:45 of OT. That's what I saw. FWIW.

Id bet those Jeeps are in really good shape but Hiland substituted more and was fresher - and that allowed them to be the better team in those closing segments. I've seen Hiland win a ton of games because they weren't tired and the other guys were. I'm putting this one in that category.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Congrats Jeeps on a great season. Congrats Hiland on your what,14 the trip to final 4. Great program.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Spalding22 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:34 pm

No, but the coaches had the wrong players in the game, tried to play stall ball, and Hilands defense exposed their biggest weakness. Ball handling. You can’t run stall ball plays beginning the second half when you have been known to turn the ball over when certain people put the ball on the floor. I’m not saying those players aren’t good or shouldnt be in the game, you just simply can’t force them to put the ball on the floor when they are turnover prone. You play to their strengths. Not their weaknesses. If you’re going to play stall ball in the 3rd, you better have your best 5 ball handlers on the floor. That’s giving the game away. 17 point lead at one point. 13 point lead at half time. You put on the breaks? Make sense, buddy?
Small things, but they never led by 17 and it was 11 at the half. I know you are just exaggerating to make whatever point you are trying to, but I also want things to be correct if people are throwing out “facts”

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

IVCguy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:37 pm Someone texted me and asked me how Hiland won that game. I said I had no idea except I sensed it was mainly by depth and conditioning.

I rewatched the game. Here is the deal - the first 12 minutes of the game, SW was amazing - clearly the better team. But go back and watch the last 4 min of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th qtrs. In each case, Hiland won those segments, SW barely scored and committed a lot of turnovers.

SW had a 29-15 lead halfway through the 3rd, but Hiland won the last four min 6-2. Roberts was out with his 3rd foul in that stretch.

Hiland outscored the Jeeps 20-10 in the 4th qtr overall, but really put it to them the last four min.

Hiland won because SW was too tired to execute well in the last 4 min of the 2nd thru 4th qtrs and the last 2:45 of OT. That's what I saw. FWIW.

Id bet those Jeeps are in really good shape but Hiland substituted more and was fresher - and that allowed them to be the better team in those closing segments. I've seen Hiland win a ton of games because they weren't tired and the other guys were. I'm putting this one in that category.
Webster was up 16 with 5:41 to play in the 2nd and didn’t score again until the 3rd. That’s when Hiland made me believe they had a chance to win, because it was really close to getting really out of hand.

Impressive performance from the Hawks on a night when they shot very poorly. But, they shot 11-16 over the final 12 minutes when they needed it the most.

Pirates03
Waterboy

Post by Pirates03 »

So explain who wasn’t on the floor that should’ve been and what SW strengths are?

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

IVCGuy - perfect take. Depth and conditioning was the difference. You see the game well IMHO.

Final Four and Elite 8 appearances are awesome, but it won’t matter because Richmond Heights is, 1-5, better. Russia won by 20+ in the regional final and they will get waxed. So would either of these teams. They are just that talented.

But like the Jeeps, I will be rooting for Hiland, because they have had a lot to overcome. I wish the Jeeps would have advanced but sometime it’s a play here or there.

I’m proud of our area. I hope we learn to support our area teams. Like I’ve said before, I understand when the locals play, the banter and trash talk for funzy; but I don’t understand not supporting our area when your team is knocked out. We have something special here. We really do, and when the stars align and we get to the final 4, I’ll be there to support them all.

The only one we have left is Warren, so I cross my fingers for Coach Maddox who does a hell of a job. Jeep faithful, be proud of your squad!

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:59 pm
IVCguy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:37 pm Someone texted me and asked me how Hiland won that game. I said I had no idea except I sensed it was mainly by depth and conditioning.

Webster was up 16 with 5:41 to play in the 2nd and didn’t score again until the 3rd. That’s when Hiland made me believe they had a chance to win, because it was really close to getting really out of hand.

Impressive performance from the Hawks on a night when they shot very poorly. But, they shot 11-16 over the final 12 minutes when they needed it the most.
Yep.

Pirates03
Waterboy

Post by Pirates03 »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:55 pm

Small things, but they never led by 17 and it was 11 at the half. I know you are just exaggerating to make whatever point you are trying to, but I also want things to be correct if people are throwing out “facts”
They were up 23-7 at one point in the game and up by 15 in the 3rd!

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

123xxx wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:06 pm IVCGuy - perfect take. Depth and conditioning was the difference. You see the game well IMHO.

Final Four and Elite 8 appearances are awesome, but it won’t matter because Richmond Heights is, 1-5, better. Russia won by 20+ in the regional final and they will get waxed. So would either of these teams. They are just that talented.

But like the Jeeps, I will be rooting for Hiland, because they have had a lot to overcome. I wish the Jeeps would have advanced but sometime it’s a play here or there.

I’m proud of our area. I hope we learn to support our area teams. Like I’ve said before, I understand when the locals play, the banter and trash talk for funzy; but I don’t understand not supporting our area when your team is knocked out. We have something special here. We really do, and when the stars align and we get to the final 4, I’ll be there to support them all.

The only one we have left is Warren, so I cross my fingers for Coach Maddox who does a hell of a job. Jeep faithful, be proud of your squad!
Meh. Everyone knows the Hawks are heading to be one of the sacrificial lambs at the Richmond Hts Invitational. Lol.

I do like that Russia team. Maybe they can knock em out in the semis.

But I never worry about winning games at state. It's great when they do, but the cake is getting there. Winning a game or two is icing.

This is Hiland's 14th trip and 3rd? in a row. Ridiculous. What's more ridiculous is getting this particular group there. If you had seen how they were playing 3-4 weeks ago, you'd have said that team would have trouble winning a sectional. Lol. But they figured out how to play without the big fella and their glue guy - and tonight was a show of just plain grit.

So, for any group, but especially this one, getting to a final four is an amazing accomplishment.

In the future, my advice to any coach facing a Mark Schlabach team is you gotta account for the depth he is going to use and have a plan to protect your team from fatigue - which "makes cowards of us all". Substitute wisely, use your timeouts, and try to slow the game down some. Coach Persin got some criticism for trying to run some clock, but he saw that his team was tired and he was trying to get to the end of the qtr. Hard to blame him for that. FWIW
Last edited by IVCguy on Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DatAppalachian
Waterboy

Post by DatAppalachian »

The players made some mistakes, but they played their hearts out. The coaches made some mistakes but the team was obviously well prepared. That can be said of either team.

The refs missed some calls but were, in my opinion, pretty consistent and did not unduly influence the game.

This game simply came down to the smothering defense of the Hawks. Their in-your-face style allowed some open shots early on and put them in bad positioning for rebounds. Webster capitalized. But the Jeeps slowly wore out, as any team would. The only difference between the first 12 minutes of that game (when Webster absolutely dominated) and the last 12 (when Berlin Hiland dominated) was the Jeeps were running on empty -- every pass weaker, every step slower. But darn if it wasn't fun to watch Webster play at their best, even if only for a half.

Good luck Hawks! I'll be there next weekend rooting for you.

Return to “Boys Basketball”