Harvest Prep v North Adams

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Harvest Prep v North Adams

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:06 pm ah, yes, recruited by a guy whose voice got permanently destroyed to hell due to autoimmune disease. Great toolset to recruit with, right there. To get kids into a school that expels kids for hand-holding. Good stuff!

If Dave Dennis coached at a local exurb school, like Chillicothe, he’d be respected not just as a coach but as a community leader by those who pay attention. He’d get the same praise and reputation that a southern Ohio native son has (rightfully) earned over his career in Dayton and now back home.

Hard times when a community of adults that values the role of good mentors in young peoples’ lives about-face the idea when it’s done in a city, not a village.
Hate to hear that about the coach, but let’s not act like there’s no inability to recruit that’s just nonsense. Simply laughable, you’re a good poster but please stop giving round about answers to things. Someone mentions recruiting and private schools you say well he’s got this problem why glossing over the real issue. I mean I get it OHSAA making good money off of your schools plus they know if they make a separate tournament for private schools 30 ppl will be at the games. What I don’t understand about all of it, is why do private schools have a problem being in their own playoff?? Seems like to me if they’re all on the same playing field they’d have no issue.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats to North Adams on an outstanding season.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:16 pm I feel even worse for the D4 team that makes it into the final 4 to meet Richmond heights. As a matter of fact all the teams that have ran into them already
Any Team that runs into Richmond Heights in D4 will be lucky to keep it within 30. They were up 32-0 against Seneca East in the Regionals and still taking above the break 3’s and pressing. They won 87-37.

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

I thought this woukd be much closer, but Prep was just too tough on this night.

Congrats to Coach Copas and company on a great season!

Valley91
Waterboy

Post by Valley91 »

Congratulations to NA on a great season. Here is the problem with these rural schools vs these urban schools. The rural school players play more than one sport not just football, basketball or baseball or any sport. Where as these urban private urban schools recruit or bring kids just for one specific sport and that’s all they play.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:18 am
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:16 pm I feel even worse for the D4 team that makes it into the final 4 to meet Richmond heights. As a matter of fact all the teams that have ran into them already
Any Team that runs into Richmond Heights in D4 will be lucky to keep it within 30. They were up 32-0 against Seneca East in the Regionals and still taking above the break 3’s and pressing. They won 87-37.

Not to mention that they beat St Ignatius, who is a heavy favorite to still win D1

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Valley91 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:28 am Congratulations to NA on a great season. Here is the problem with these rural schools vs these urban schools. The rural school players play more than one sport not just football, basketball or baseball or any sport. Where as these urban private urban schools recruit or bring kids just for one specific sport and that’s all they play.
It's not just urban, it's urban private that's a killer

Players being recruited in for football doesn't always mean a chance to win a championship although it definitely helps.

But in basketball, if you bring in 3 to 5 kids who can ball, you are almost guaranteed a mismatch in a team like north adams or northwest.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:34 pm The farm boys will play hard. They know the value of work.
Guess not 😭

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:16 pm
callie11 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:53 am I hope NA can win ,but now that the football schools are mostly out of the tournament, this is where the bb schools take over. I believe H P will win because they are mostly a basketball team.
Well of course, they’re a private school that recruits for each sport. Look where they’re at in the football world also.
🎻👈😭

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

greygoose wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:39 am
formerfcfan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:06 pm ah, yes, recruited by a guy whose voice got permanently destroyed to hell due to autoimmune disease. Great toolset to recruit with, right there. To get kids into a school that expels kids for hand-holding. Good stuff!

If Dave Dennis coached at a local exurb school, like Chillicothe, he’d be respected not just as a coach but as a community leader by those who pay attention. He’d get the same praise and reputation that a southern Ohio native son has (rightfully) earned over his career in Dayton and now back home.

Hard times when a community of adults that values the role of good mentors in young peoples’ lives about-face the idea when it’s done in a city, not a village.
Hate to hear that about the coach, but let’s not act like there’s no inability to recruit that’s just nonsense. Simply laughable, you’re a good poster but please stop giving round about answers to things. Someone mentions recruiting and private schools you say well he’s got this problem why glossing over the real issue.
What pitch is there to make? “Come here, play for me, a guy you have to stand two feet from to understand, and play a dysfunctional regular season schedule in a league full of coaches that hate losing to us?” A kid goes to HP, they sacrifice a ton that they wouldn’t have to if they went to their neighborhood public. Things that most kids in this state take for granted.

All this talk about “it’s recruiting” and nary a thought paid that the program’s prowess is a byproduct of society? Big schools close to HP, in conferences packed with higher levels of basketball action in the OCC (Groveport-Madison) and City League (Independence) — their hoops programs go nowhere because their schools are hot messes. And those schools would still be the same as they ever were even without an HP. Have a community that craves an alternative to a massive urban district that is ill-equipped to provide a good learning environment, where the only other public option is also screwed up because that district inherited so many different patches of the city that are ridden with problems that carry over into the school.

It sells itself. A better society, a better quality of life, with better communities that back up their schools from cradle to grave, which in turn makes the public educational opportunities better, and then suddenly you don’t have droves of families trying to EdChoice their son into HP. In the real world, here, the families seek the proven commodity… because unlike the public options they’re the only school that can prove it delivers.
I mean I get it OHSAA making good money off of your schools plus they know if they make a separate tournament for private schools 30 ppl will be at the games.
If there was a tournament split years ago, it would come at a general cost to the publics still. 64 district tournaments across D1-D4 — that’s not being sustained with only public schools in the fold. It means you get less games, and wider enrollment differentials in the current D1 and D4. That private tourney wouldn’t be free. It’d be a cost passed down to the publics or you, the spectator.
What I don’t understand about all of it, is why do private schools have a problem being in their own playoff?? Seems like to me if they’re all on the same playing field they’d have no issue.
It’d be an expensive and ill-sighted means to the same end: someone has to lose to somebody, a somebody that is better. What’s the difference between losing to HP in the Sweet 16 versus losing to Russia, Ft Loramie or any of the western Ohio school-communities that are mini-Wheelersburg’s (community wealth, robustness of athletics)? Sentiment and feels? Any other geographic region in this state in the D3 and D4 levels can beat the private schools in boys’ sports on a regular basis in the regional stage. Not said to impugn SEO, but what do you think happens in the alternate universe of “publics only” if the schools in elsewhere in the state that can beat the private schools is facing off against the schools that generally cannot?

Return to “Boys Basketball”