D3 Regional Semi-Final, Northwest vs. Malvern

bfry
JV Team

Re: D3 Regional Semi-Final, Northwest vs. Malvern

Post by bfry »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:59 pm I watched the Malvern game vs Barnesville ... looks like if you handle the defensive press - you have a good chance of winning vs MHS ... they press nearly 90+% of the time ... they score a bunch in transition off of the full to 3/4 court press ... I'm SEOhio bias - I'm going with NW to handle the pressure and make them pay at the other end with point of their own ... Malvern has length which makes their full court trapping D very effective - NW with their senior leadership still gets the nod from me ... Malvern sports 3 seniors in their starting lineup ... they shoot the 3 ball - Minor 6-4 sr. drained a number of corner 3's - he goes outside with the intent to score the 3 if you don't get out on him ... (Minor at 6-4 looks bigger to me) lots of quickness behind the length at the front of their press - can't make weak passes or it's going the other way for points ... 25-0 speaks for itself! got to value the possessions again ! - can't give the defense momentum or you'll be down double digits in a hurry ... throw in that Malvern has scorers of the ball ... I'm STILL going with NW !!! LOL I can't even talk myself into taking Malvern ... and I'm trying!!!
Keep manifesting it! Just love the way we are attacking and playing loose and confident right now. Valuing the ball and staying out of foul trouble are paramount. Once the press is broken it’ll be important to make the Hornets pay with points. Excited for our kids to have this opportunity.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

And Malvern playing at the convo for the first time ever can be a very eye opening experience,and with the depth perception behind the basket can throw you off, I'm assuming they will get to come down and practice on the floor since the other southeast teams have already played there

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

IVCHAWKS wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:18 pm And Malvern playing at the convo for the first time ever can be a very eye opening experience,and with the depth perception behind the basket can throw you off, I'm assuming they will get to come down and practice on the floor since the other southeast teams have already played there
IVCHAWKS, is that the way it works? I did know that teams that aren't the SE district (teams who have not been on the Convo floor) get to practice on the floor (more than the 30 minutes allotted for pregame warmups? ...

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:36 pm
IVCHAWKS wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:18 pm And Malvern playing at the convo for the first time ever can be a very eye opening experience,and with the depth perception behind the basket can throw you off, I'm assuming they will get to come down and practice on the floor since the other southeast teams have already played there
IVCHAWKS, is that the way it works? I did know that teams that aren't the SE district (teams who have not been on the Convo floor) get to practice on the floor (more than the 30 minutes allotted for pregame warmups? ...

They don’t! What about teams playing their Regional game at UD arena the same place the State games are at? Is that fair??

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

That's what I was wondering, the teams in the sw district getting to play on ud arena floor,I didn't think that was fair

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:36 pm
Ok wasn't sure how works

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Go Mohawks from Coal Grove country!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

IVCguy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:50 pm
Jason Vorhees wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:05 pm Just in the tournament, Malvern is averaging 67.5 points per game and giving up an average of 43 points per game. Oooof. They’ve played a great schedule. Beat Garaway and Maysville as well. Malvern is also long and athletic and utilizes the space of the floor from baseline to baseline.

In order for Northwest to win, they’re going to have to limit Malvern’s second chance points, rebound well, shoot a high percentage from the free throw line, and play stellar defense. All of this is very doable for Northwest. They can definitely beat Malvern.
Agree on your scouting report on Malvern. They have a guard, Burrino, who is outstanding. Gotta limit him. They are long, deep, and talented.

Interestingly enough, one of the criticisms they have faced from fans of other IVC schools is that they didn't have a very challenging schedule. They play in the weaker North Division of the IVC. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. They certainly didn't schedule to lose a game (no D1-3 powerhouses on the schedule), but a few of their non-conference games were against teams that had been good the last few years and then fell off this year. Garaway was down a notch from where they typically are. At the end of the day, they scheduled 22 games and won all 22 - and dominated in most of them.

Malvern has had a handful of big and talented teams over the years, but have always got stuck at the district or regional level due to some bad luck or they had to beat a Hiland, Bedford Chanel, or Richmond Hts type of team - but couldn't. So, there is a lot of pressure on that coaching staff and those kids to break through. The longer NW stays in the game in the 2nd half, the more that pressure could be a factor.

I haven't seen NW, but Malvern is an excellent basketball team. If their heads are on straight and they are focused, they will be very difficult for anyone to beat. FWIW
That’s some really good insight. NW is senior heavy, all have played a ton of ball together over the years. they won’t panic IMO.

This will be an instant classic i believe.

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

The hardest thing to simulate is length and athletic ability in practice. That’s why just settling in, using your fundamentals, and being physical and disciplined will be key for the Mohawks. Don’t flinch, stay in the fight, and stick together. Playing it gets high level competition, you can be star struck. If they go on a run, dunk, or whatever, just stay the course and stay unified. And this Northwest team is completely glued. Malvern is excellent. They are athletic, want to turn you over, offensive rebound, and play well in transition. They get a ton of possessions. Those are their strengths. Take some of those away and make shots, anything can happen.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

123xxx wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:52 pm The hardest thing to simulate is length and athletic ability in practice. That’s why just settling in, using your fundamentals, and being physical and disciplined will be key for the Mohawks. Don’t flinch, stay in the fight, and stick together. Playing it gets high level competition, you can be star struck. If they go on a run, dunk, or whatever, just stay the course and stay unified. And this Northwest team is completely glued. Malvern is excellent. They are athletic, want to turn you over, offensive rebound, and play well in transition. They get a ton of possessions. Those are their strengths. Take some of those away and make shots, anything can happen.
Good take. Watched Malvern take on Martins Ferry. They are really good, maybe best in the region. So you're right, northwest just needs to play a smart game and rely on their seniors and they can knock them off.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Elijah Craig wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:41 pm
Jason Vorhees wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:05 pm Just in the tournament, Malvern is averaging 67.5 points per game and giving up an average of 43 points per game. Oooof. They’ve played a great schedule. Beat Garaway and Maysville as well. Malvern is also long and athletic and utilizes the space of the floor from baseline to baseline.

In order for Northwest to win, they’re going to have to limit Malvern’s second chance points, rebound well, shoot a high percentage from the free throw line, and play stellar defense. All of this is very doable for Northwest. They can definitely beat Malvern.
Agree on your scouting report on Malvern. They have a guard, Burrino, who is outstanding. Gotta limit him. They are long, deep, and talented.

Interestingly enough, one of the criticisms they have faced from fans of other IVC schools is that they didn't have a very challenging schedule. They play in the weaker North Division of the IVC. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. They certainly didn't schedule to lose a game (no D1-3 powerhouses on the schedule), but a few of their non-conference games were against teams that had been good the last few years and then fell off this year. Garaway was down a notch from where they typically are. At the end of the day, they scheduled 22 games and won all 22 - and dominated in most of them.

Malvern has had a handful of big and talented teams over the years, but have always got stuck at the district or regional level due to some bad luck or they had to beat a Hiland, Bedford Chanel, or Richmond Hts type of team - but couldn't. So, there is a lot of pressure on that coaching staff and those kids to break through. The longer NW stays in the game in the 2nd half, the more that pressure could be a factor.

I haven't seen NW, but Malvern is an excellent basketball team. If their heads are on straight and they are focused, they will be very difficult for anyone to beat. FWIW
That’s some really good insight. NW is senior heavy, all have played a ton of ball together over the years. they won’t panic IMO.

Yeah, I think playing fundamentally sound is the way to attack them. Defensively, keep them off the offensive boards, make them take jump shots, and limit transition buckets. Offensively, take care of the ball in the half court and against the press, be patient, take good shots, etc.

I graduated from Rock Hill back in the day after growing up across the river in Boyd Co, Ky. But I have lived up here since the early 90s. My impression is that the quality of coaching, competition, and talent is better up here. That doesn't mean that there aren't some excellent coaches, programs, and players down south - there certainly are. For example, I expect S Web to come out of Athens D4, especially due to Hiland's depleted status, but maybe S Web is the better team regardless. Hard to judge that. But there are some unique challenges in rural Appalachia that teams up here don't have to deal with - at least on the same scale.

Anyway, when these types of schools match up, I worry for the southern school that they haven't seen a certain level of play and it takes them a quarter or two to adjust - and by then they can be in a deep hole. So the first few min of the game will be important to see how comfortable NW is.

But if they can be fundamentally sound, calm, and play with Malvern from the jump and keep it close, as the game goes on, I think the pressure will be on the Hornets.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

IVCguy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:53 am
Elijah Craig wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:41 pm

Yeah, I think playing fundamentally sound is the way to attack them. Defensively, keep them off the offensive boards, make them take jump shots, and limit transition buckets. Offensively, take care of the ball in the half court and against the press, be patient, take good shots, etc.

I graduated from Rock Hill back in the day after growing up across the river in Boyd Co, Ky. But I have lived up here since the early 90s. My impression is that the quality of coaching, competition, and talent is better up here. That doesn't mean that there aren't some excellent coaches, programs, and players down south - there certainly are. For example, I expect S Web to come out of Athens D4, especially due to Hiland's depleted status, but maybe S Web is the better team regardless. Hard to judge that. But there are some unique challenges in rural Appalachia that teams up here don't have to deal with - at least on the same scale.

Anyway, when these types of schools match up, I worry for the southern school that they haven't seen a certain level of play and it takes them a quarter or two to adjust - and by then they can be in a deep hole. So the first few min of the game will be important to see how comfortable NW is.

But if they can be fundamentally sound, calm, and play with Malvern from the jump and keep it close, as the game goes on, I think the pressure will be on the Hornets.
playing fundamentally sound, not turning it over and taking good shots is easier said than done sometimes. But NW is very capable of doing that. Especially With Scarberry at the helm. If you graduated from RH, you might have crossed paths with scarberry.

Appalachia does present a set of problems people from the northern areas don’t understand. And it’s in every school in our area.

Someone earlier said length can’t be simulated, and the same goes for the speed of the game like you said. I’ve heard that NW has been going against former players and that may help.

hoping for an all southeast regional final

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Northwest should win this one. 8 vs 5 hard to beat

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Elijah Craig wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:24 pm playing fundamentally sound, not turning it over and taking good shots is easier said than done sometimes. But NW is very capable of doing that. Especially With Scarberry at the helm. If you graduated from RH, you might have crossed paths with scarberry.

Appalachia does present a set of problems people from the northern areas don’t understand. And it’s in every school in our area.

Someone earlier said length can’t be simulated, and the same goes for the speed of the game like you said. I’ve heard that NW has been going against former players and that may help.

When I heard Scarberry, the name 'Rick" popped into my head. But I can't remember where he played. Fill me in.

Yes, I understand the problems of Appalachia. But I also understand how many good folks and good things there are there. I love being from there. It's a big part of who I am. But I'm also glad I raised my kids up here in Amish Country.

I'm an IVC guy (literally, lol) and I pull for IVC kids and coaches, so I'm a Hornet fan right now. And full disclosure - one of my best friends is Malvern Coach Tucci's BIL, I have a number of friends in that village, and I know Coach Tucci personally, so I have a bias too.

Maybe if Malvern was playing an OVC school, I'd be more torn. :)

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

IVCguy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:09 pm
Elijah Craig wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:24 pm playing fundamentally sound, not turning it over and taking good shots is easier said than done sometimes. But NW is very capable of doing that. Especially With Scarberry at the helm. If you graduated from RH, you might have crossed paths with scarberry.

When I heard Scarberry, the name 'Rick" popped into my head. But I can't remember where he played. Fill me in.

Yes, I understand the problems of Appalachia. But I also understand how many good folks and good things there are there. I love being from there. It's a big part of who I am. But I'm also glad I raised my kids up here in Amish Country.

I'm an IVC guy (literally, lol) and I pull for IVC kids and coaches, so I'm a Hornet fan right now. And full disclosure - one of my best friends is Malvern Coach Tucci's BIL, I have a number of friends in that village, and I know Coach Tucci personally, so I have a bias too.

It is Rick and he played at Franklin Furnace Green and then played at Ohio University after that. Very good player in his time. Blew his knee out while playing pickup basketball but came back from that to finish playing. Has been a coach at NW twice I believe. Very good coach!

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:31 pm

It is Rick and he played at Franklin Furnace Green and then played at Ohio University after that. Very good player in his time. Blew his knee out while playing pickup basketball but came back from that to finish playing. Has been a coach at NW twice I believe. Very good coach!
The name rang a bell because Rick is only a couple years older than me. I remember he was a good player, but couldn't recall where he played in HS. Thanks.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

OU, The Convo in general, is Rick Scarberry’s house. played there for Coach Hunter in the mid 80’s. He’s from Franklin Furnace. One of the best shooters I ever saw.

I have no dog in this fight, except I’m from southern ohio, so bias leans toward the Mohawks.
good luck to both

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Nothing necessarily wrong with bias - especially when you know you have it and acknowledge it! Lol

I had to go through Piketon and over to the Peebles/West Union area on business a few weeks ago. Those hills felt like home. Beautiful area.

Is NW in NW Scioto County?
Last edited by IVCguy on Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

IVCguy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:41 pm Nothing necessarily wrong with bias - especially when you know you have it and acknowledge it! Lol

I had to go through Piketon and over to the Peebles/West Union area on business a few weeks ago. Beautiful area.

Is NW in NW Scioto County?
Yes. The Northwest school district borders Portsmouth West, West Union, Peebles ,Piketon, Western Pike and Lucasville Valley. It's the largest district in Scioto County, I believe it's 181 square miles.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

NW just needs to remember to play physical. The refs in the Regionals are notorious for letting them play so to speak. I think they will definitely have the size advantage.

Sad the OH$AA won't let anyone stream the game. Think it will be a good one to watch.

Return to “Boys Basketball”