OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal

Post by trojandave »

It will be interesting to see how the tournament will be structured now with 7 divisions......will the Convo have enough availability to conduct district and regional tournaments with probably at least 4 divisions? With more divisions comes the issue of getting enough sites and workers to have sectional tournaments. I hope the OHSAA has a plan about logistics to carry this through, because that issue should have been discussed in detail before the vote was cast. I would think that this just wasn't some blind vote without taking into consideration the implementation of the 7 division tournament.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

trojandave wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:15 am It will be interesting to see how the tournament will be structured now with 7 divisions......will the Convo have enough availability to conduct district and regional tournaments with probably at least 4 divisions? With more divisions comes the issue of getting enough sites and workers to have sectional tournaments. I hope the OHSAA has a plan about logistics to carry this through, because that issue should have been discussed in detail before the vote was cast. I would think that this just wasn't some blind vote without taking into consideration the implementation of the 7 division tournament.
Thank you. Logistics are definitely the biggest issue and as you said, hopefully that was taken into account when they were making this decision.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

trojandave wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:15 am It will be interesting to see how the tournament will be structured now with 7 divisions......will the Convo have enough availability to conduct district and regional tournaments with probably at least 4 divisions? With more divisions comes the issue of getting enough sites and workers to have sectional tournaments. I hope the OHSAA has a plan about logistics to carry this through, because that issue should have been discussed in detail before the vote was cast. I would think that this just wasn't some blind vote without taking into consideration the implementation of the 7 division tournament.

I don’t think there will be sectional tournaments

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

EasternDspy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:07 pm

I tend to agree that there will no longer be sectional tournaments. The OHSAA hasn't recognized that for years.

District tournaments will now be roughly 8-9 teams each. I could see the quarterfinal round at home sites, with semis and finals still at neutral sites.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

91raider97bobcat wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:30 pm

I tend to agree that there will no longer be sectional tournaments. The OHSAA hasn't recognized that for years.

District tournaments will now be roughly 8-9 teams each. I could see the quarterfinal round at home sites, with semis and finals still at neutral sites.
Bring back the fan experience. Put all the games on neutral have 2 games a night. I hate having a home playoff game and only having 1 game. Or driving 2 hours for 1 sectional game. I miss sectionals at Meadowbrook. You could go 2 nights watch 4 teams it was a blast. Single elimination format is best in all sports. It’s why March madness is such a success.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

EasternDspy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:21 pm

Bring back the fan experience. Put all the games on neutral have 2 games a night. I hate having a home playoff game and only having 1 game. Or driving 2 hours for 1 sectional game. I miss sectionals at Meadowbrook. You could go 2 nights watch 4 teams it was a blast. Single elimination format is best in all sports. It’s why March madness is such a success.
Yeah, I doubt the fan experience is being considered in any way. More locations with one game each means more $$.

The Final Four experience is done after this year and I’m sure it’ll be like football, where there will be 14 different locations playing at the same time for the state semis, many of which will be in high school gyms located near the major cities.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

oh$aa - no udder left unmilked

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Listened to the Coaches Show this morning on WMOA and they had a few perspectives but Marietta AD Cody Venderlic and Coach Maddox both liked the move. I personally like the idea of it but as Venderlic brought up, how will this affect the postseason if SEO doesn't have enough teams for a division? Will they combine with the east? Central??

Go Blue
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Whs95fan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:05 am Listened to the Coaches Show this morning on WMOA and they had a few perspectives but Marietta AD Cody Venderlic and Coach Maddox both liked the move. I personally like the idea of it but as Venderlic brought up, how will this affect the postseason if SEO doesn't have enough teams for a division? Will they combine with the east? Central??
That’s what I’m saying. I think they go to regions and seed 1-26 or so then branch off into 4 districts. So you won’t be in the same district every year.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:46 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:21 pm

Yeah, I doubt the fan experience is being considered in any way. More locations with one game each means more $$.

The Final Four experience is done after this year and I’m sure it’ll be like football, where there will be 14 different locations playing at the same time for the state semis, many of which will be in high school gyms located near the major cities.
You would be correct on this. Convo will be District Finals only, maybe with right teams and schedule a State Semi game here and there?

thebarlowbandit
All State

Whs95fan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:05 am Listened to the Coaches Show this morning on WMOA and they had a few perspectives but Marietta AD Cody Venderlic and Coach Maddox both liked the move. I personally like the idea of it but as Venderlic brought up, how will this affect the postseason if SEO doesn't have enough teams for a division? Will they combine with the east? Central??
We already have that issue here in the SE (see DI teams), the SE will actually gain schools for their tournaments as Logan, Marietta and Chillicothe will be assured on being in the SE now with this move. I believe, Logan will be DIII in basketball.

thebarlowbandit
All State

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:16 am
That’s what I’m saying. I think they go to regions and seed 1-26 or so then branch off into 4 districts. So you won’t be in the same district every year.
That is currently not the plan, but I would not bet against that being in the cards. (just IMHO)

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:13 am
EasternDspy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:16 am
That is currently not the plan, but I would not bet against that being in the cards. (just IMHO)

They don’t have a plan yet lol. They voted without a plan. The current district model does not work with it being so uneven. Either have to redraw districts or get rid them. From what I’m being told the new bracket model will be worked on in May.

jose
Freshman Team

Post by jose »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:12 am
We already have that issue here in the SE (see DI teams), the SE will actually gain schools for their tournaments as Logan, Marietta and Chillicothe will be assured on being in the SE now with this move. I believe, Logan will be DIII in basketball.
The 5 se schools will probably combine with 4 east schools in D3

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

I really hope they don't break the state tournament experience but I'd say it is almost certainly going to a two day championship format at one site (Dayton). They'll play the D4/5/6/7 games on Saturday and the D1/2/3 games on Sunday. I'd guess that they will break them into 28 regions like they do in football with each region being split into 4 districts (looking at the regions in football and knowing that basketball has a few more teams lets say each district has 6 teams so 24 per region give or take a few). Higher seeds will host pigtail/district semifinals. Regional semi-finals and finals at a neutral site (high schools most likely). State semi-finals at a larger venue (OU, Canton fieldhouse, Cleveland State, BG, Ohio Dominican, UD, Xavier, etc) and then the two day championship format somewhere like Dayton.

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

trampoline wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:16 pm Just too bad they didnt put all of the corrupt religious/africentric schools in division 1. They should at least be bumped up 2 divisions.
Africentric? You're joking, right?

Africentric is a public high school that is part of Columbus City Schools.

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

Per the OHSAA Press Release

For girls volleyball, soccer, basketball, softball and baseball, the largest 64 schools would be placed into Division I. The next largest 64 schools would be placed into Division II. The remaining schools would be divided as evenly as possible into the remaining divisions. The OHSAA already does something similar to this in football, in which the largest 10 percent of schools are placed into Division I and the remaining schools are divided evenly in Divisions II through VII.

I look at it this way. I currently live in the Cincinnati are. Right now you have schools like Mason, Fairfield, Hamilton, and Lakota East (all public schools) that have enrollment numbers over 1,000 students playing in the same Division/Regional in girls basketball as Western Brown, Northwest, Mt Healthy, Ross, and Turpin (again, all public schools) that have 1/4 that enrollment. While I understand Seton, Mercy-McAuley, and Ursuline (all-girls Catholic schools) being in the same Division/Region as the larger schools, I think its a bit unfair to have schools playing similar size schools in conference play and then playing schools that are 4 times larger than them in playoffs.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

redskinwitness wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:13 pm I really hope they don't break the state tournament experience but I'd say it is almost certainly going to a two day championship format at one site (Dayton). They'll play the D4/5/6/7 games on Saturday and the D1/2/3 games on Sunday. I'd guess that they will break them into 28 regions like they do in football with each region being split into 4 districts (looking at the regions in football and knowing that basketball has a few more teams lets say each district has 6 teams so 24 per region give or take a few). Higher seeds will host pigtail/district semifinals. Regional semi-finals and finals at a neutral site (high schools most likely). State semi-finals at a larger venue (OU, Canton fieldhouse, Cleveland State, BG, Ohio Dominican, UD, Xavier, etc) and then the two day championship format somewhere like Dayton.
This what I’ve been trying to say. They said 134 teams on div 3-7 so I’m guessing more like 33 or 34 teams per region.

thebarlowbandit
All State

jose wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:21 am
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:12 am
The 5 se schools will probably combine with 4 east schools in D3
NO WAY they will let those 4 sit in a 9 team District!!! They will be carved up by the NE (E) and C (SE, E).

thebarlowbandit
All State

redskinwitness wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:13 pm I really hope they don't break the state tournament experience but I'd say it is almost certainly going to a two day championship format at one site (Dayton). They'll play the D4/5/6/7 games on Saturday and the D1/2/3 games on Sunday. I'd guess that they will break them into 28 regions like they do in football with each region being split into 4 districts (looking at the regions in football and knowing that basketball has a few more teams lets say each district has 6 teams so 24 per region give or take a few). Higher seeds will host pigtail/district semifinals. Regional semi-finals and finals at a neutral site (high schools most likely). State semi-finals at a larger venue (OU, Canton fieldhouse, Cleveland State, BG, Ohio Dominican, UD, Xavier, etc) and then the two day championship format somewhere like Dayton.
State Tournament in 2025 will be at the Fairgrounds if Doug Ute has his say.

Return to “Boys Basketball”