SW JEEPS and tournament time

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

SW JEEPS and tournament time

Post by Spalding22 »

Jeeps are skilled but have looked vulnerable against mediocre teams with good coaching. Odds they make it past the sectional final if Persin can not coach?

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Re: SW JEEPS and tournament time

Post by Eugene2009 »

Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:09 pm Jeeps are skilled but have looked vulnerable against mediocre teams with good coaching. Odds they make it past the sectional final if Persin can not coach?
Coaching won’t be the issue….hasn’t been the issue with their 2 losses…..team chemistry & guard play will be what needs improved to make a deeper run.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Eugene2009 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:51 pm
Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:09 pm Jeeps are skilled but have looked vulnerable against mediocre teams with good coaching. Odds they make it past the sectional final if Persin can not coach?
Coaching won’t be the issue….hasn’t been the issue with their 2 losses…..team chemistry & guard play will be what needs improved to make a deeper run.
If chemistry is a biproduct of culture wouldn't chemistry be a coaches issue? Persin seemed to know what 5 to have on the floor and who to sub. Only 2 losses were in persins absence. Convo caliber group. would be a shame if they missed

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:22 pm
Eugene2009 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:51 pm
If chemistry is a biproduct of culture wouldn't chemistry be a coaches issue? Persin seemed to know what 5 to have on the floor and who to sub. Only 2 losses were in persins absence. Convo caliber group. would be a shame if they missed
If you watched them play much you would know chemistry & guard play have been areas that need improvement …..which have been present in the wins as much as in the losses but with the talent they have they’ve been able to overcome it…Burg & Minford by far the best 2 teams SW has played….those were most likely L’s no matter who was coaching. The rotation didn’t change one bit in the wins vs losses.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

You didn’t answer my question. If culture is a coaching issue and chemistry is a by product of culture then_______is a coaching issue

Oh, but i have. No doubt about it, guards could score more. Hindsight is 20/20 but I don’t believe burg comes close to winning if SW runs the appropriate defense with the length they have. Always heard the true sign of intelligence is one’s ability to adapt. I saw no adapting or adjustment in those games. SW seems to be playing checkers, but boy, do they have some chess pieces. The minford game looked like last years jeeps. Any reasonable basketball mind could see the timeouts weren’t spent well. I guess they didn’t expect to hit that many shots towards the end when down 10 with 2 minutes left or whatever it was. We’ll see. Changes need to be made. If they don’t make it to the district final. Coaching issue. Not a player issue. Anyone with a reasonable basketball mind could see these issues without having to replay the film.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Beat the brakes off 11 teams, mostly on the road or at a neutral court, and no one bats an eye

Lose 2 back to back to the top D3 teams in SEO and everyone loses their minds.

Yes it wouldn’t hurt webster to try a zone once in a while.
The only problem with that is Rucker and Montgomery will shoot 20 threes each and probably hit 12 of them

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Yet again, Persin was there for those 11 games. See above

Maybe Montgomery, not sure about Rucker. He doesn’t have the speed or strength of Montgomery. Montgomery is a player who has high guard skills built through hard work. The zone was meant for burg, and I don’t think Rucker makes half the shots he makes if the a zone was extended. Webster is long. Turnovers happen. The whole flow would have been disrupted and I don’t think burg would’ve been able to adapt. Webster still came 3 points away from beating minford from what I believe to be sub strategy issues and lax timeout usage.

Hope I’m wrong. We shall see.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

I think mr fenton has a lot more involvement with the coaching job than a lot of you know

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:05 pm I think mr fenton has a lot more involvement with the coaching job than a lot of you know
That’s what I was suggesting. Minford and wheelersburg strategy/subbing looked awfully similar to last year.

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:05 pm I think mr fenton has a lot more involvement with the coaching job than a lot of you know
I think the same….but the outsiders just want to give Persin the all praise & Fenton all the blame. And by no means is this meant as any disrespect to the all-time great coach. Just that Fenton is heavily involved weather Norm is on the bench or not.

Jeeps_06
Waterboy

Post by Jeeps_06 »

Norm is only there for this year I highly believe that next year Fenton will be the head coach

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Norm isn’t the issue. Norm is the reason they have one 11 games. Do you agree if that is the case? Fenton was a good player but that ol’ hometown grown boy thing may win the hearts of the community but not games.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:31 pm Norm isn’t the issue. Norm is the reason they have one 11 games. Do you agree if that is the case? Fenton was a good player but that ol’ hometown grown boy thing may win the hearts of the community but not games.
Pretty sure fentons last game as the head coach was a district final barely losing to clay team that went on to regional finals. Let’s keep it real

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

Norm is definitely not the issue….but neither is Fenton. The issues are pretty clear cut. Doesn’t even take much basketball knowledge to see them & I won’t elaborate more than that because my objective on this post wasn’t to be negative. But it won’t matter come Tourny time who is coaching if the Jeeps can’t improve in a few areas. But I have confidence in the staff to make these improvements.

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

Eugene2009 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:16 pm
I think the same….but the outsiders just want to give Persin all the praise & Fenton all the blame. And by no means is this meant as any disrespect to the all-time great coach. Just that Fenton is heavily involved weather Norm is on the bench or not.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

“Outsiders.” Good lord. Biased much? You must know somebody…it would seem like somebody who would make that statement might like feeling of knowing the coach more than they like winning. Nothing negative here. Just observations. Hope I’m wrong. Ultimately the decision makers can only blame themselves. No reason this group shouldn’t be able to make it to the convo. Maybe even regionals if leadership makes the right decisions at every level. Hope Persin is doing well.

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:38 pm “Outsiders.” Good lord. Biased much? You must know somebody…it would seem like somebody who would make that statement might like feeling of knowing the coach more than they like winning. Nothing negative here. Just observations. Hope I’m wrong. Ultimately the decision makers can only blame themselves. No reason this group shouldn’t be able to make it to the convo. Maybe even regionals if leadership makes the right decisions at every level. Hope Persin is doing well.
Nothing biased about it & I don’t know anyone..not sure where you got that from…you’ve just made it clear that either you haven’t watched SW play much or just in general don’t know what you’re talking about. If you’ve been to or watched many games you’d see who coaches in the huddle, who draws on the clipboard, who calls out the plays….that’s not opinion….that’s factual….Fenton was Norms assistant at Valley as well, so the coaching style & philosophy aren’t much different weather Norm is sitting there or not. Like I said earlier, it don’t take a basketball guru to see the issues on the floor. They’ve been there in the wins just the same as the losses. Open your eyes a lil more the next time you watch SW play & maybe you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

You just said “outsider.” The bias through that statement alone is pretty clear. I’ll open my eyes. You open your mind.

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:15 pm You just said “outsider.” The bias through that statement alone is pretty clear. I’ll open my eyes. You open your mind.
Your original post on this thread said “SW looked vulnerable vs mediocre teams with good coaching”. The only teams that Persin wasn’t on the bench was vs Burg & Minford…neither mediocre, far from it. Then you imply the losses were a “coaching issue” and acted like the outcome would be much different had he been there…..but they were vulnerable vs mediocre teams when he was there. Which one is it ??????? I don’t think it’s my mind that needs opened.

Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Post by Frequent Flyer »

Southwebstern is a dumpster fire in the making. What’s the deal with the best player and the assistant? Beef?

Return to “Boys Basketball”