Monroe Central

redskinwitness
Varsity

Re: Monroe Central

Post by redskinwitness »

Riverrats wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:21 pm Agree MC by more than 12. The bishops haven’t beaten a good team this year and got worked pretty good by Martins Ferry. Mason does a good job of limiting the teams top scorers. There is no one to stop Howell on this team. They will try and slow down the tempo but will get abused inside. MC is in a different caliber than the MSL teams. If they trap or double Labishak no one else really can match up with the Seminole defenders. I’d take Mason over Rock. Not hating but you don’t have to be old to know how to coach.
I don't think MC will have to double Labishak to win, they are just more talented. I think the new coach is doing a good job, they're a talented team with a good mix of players with some experience and talent. Todd Rock has coached 30 some years with I'd assume well over 500 wins and has coached in state championship games, he would get the edge here. I don't think you can evaluate a coach until he has had a number of years under his belt. You see what kind of coach you have when the talent level decreases and at smaller schools that happens every so often.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Riverrats wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:21 pm Agree MC by more than 12. The bishops haven’t beaten a good team this year and got worked pretty good by Martins Ferry. Mason does a good job of limiting the teams top scorers. There is no one to stop Howell on this team. They will try and slow down the tempo but will get abused inside. MC is in a different caliber than the MSL teams.
Always rich to read lecturing on basketball in different parts of the state from the POV of someone hailing from an area where the teams historically are never contenders to make regional play themselves. :roll:

I think MC will beat Rosecrans, but this bravado is hilarious.

West Rowan Falcons
Freshman Team

Post by West Rowan Falcons »

Look for MC to light it up tonight and move on to meet Hiland/Shadyside winner and that's likely those guys from Holmes co.

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Will Monroe Central’s and Hiland’s games be streamed tonight? I’ve always respected Hiland’s program and one of my best friends family is from Monroe County (Beallsville) so I’d like to watch either game.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

10-0

1st Monroe leads Rosecrans

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Rosecrans 14

Monroe Central 32

Half

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Shadyside 35
Hiland 36

Half

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Rosecrans made a decent comeback but Noles survive

61-51 Monroe

Hiland beat Shadyside by 3

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Hiland vs Monroe to go to sweet 16

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

Couldn’t find a stream for the game. What happened? Did MC take the foot off the pedal?

MC Noles SportsFan
Freshman Team

Post by MC Noles SportsFan »

selonmc wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:26 pm Couldn’t find a stream for the game. What happened? Did MC take the foot off the pedal?
EasternDspy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:19 pm Rosecrans made a decent comeback but Noles survive

61-51 Monroe

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:19 pm Hiland beat Shadyside by 3
Hiland looking very beatable given their injury situation. The Noles have an excellent opportunity to win the district and advance to the convo.

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

Couldn’t find the MC game but I was able to find the Hiland game. It was a weird game. Not taking anything from Shadyside but it was a game where I never actually felt Shadyside would win even though they only lost by 3. Hiland looked solid.

Worst thing we can do is start comparing scores of interlinked games… i.e. the Shadyside scores. Hiland owns the district and they aren’t giving it up easily but I feel MC can win.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Monroe should be a slight favorite. It’s their time to shine. Should be a good one !

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

The injury bug has hit this Hawks team in a big way this season, before the season started I really felt this team was diffidently finial four team,lost a very good bench player and ball handler before the season started to a acl,then losing two senior starters, after second half of the season, now with only one senior starter and a bench that is not as strong as it was, I guess were gearing up for next season, with a lot of returning players,MC just looks really solid, I question there schedule strength, but it hasn't hurt them yet, we just can't let them jump out to a big lead, and try play even with them the first half

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

pioneer19 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:03 pm
Hiland looking very beatable given their injury situation. The Noles have an excellent opportunity to win the district and advance to the convo.
Shadyside was like 9/13 from 3 at one point.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

EasternDspy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:46 am
pioneer19 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:03 pm
Shadyside was like 9/13 from 3 at one point.
And that was with us, with a hand in there face, they shot some off balance three's and still made them, they were a much improved team the latter part of the season

MetalheadGamer87
Freshman Team

Post by MetalheadGamer87 »

That station covering Holmes county schools should have it. WKLM YouTube should have it. I've watched all of Hiland's games (girls and boys) on that channel. Those guys do a great job. Hope that helps.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

MetalheadGamer87 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:04 pm That station covering Holmes county schools should have it. WKLM YouTube should have it. I've watched all of Hiland's games (girls and boys) on that channel. Those guys do a great job. Hope that helps.
As of now, it doesn't appear WKLM is covering the district final. Looks like just covering Indian Valley/Maysville and Malvern/Martins Ferry.

If you want to see this game, you will have to go for yourselves it seems - nothing wrong with watching good basketball in person.

To comment, Hiland does look vulnerable without Schrock, Yoder, and Beachy. Detweiler and Wignet had 40 of their 57. Right now, it seems like Hiland is playing with 4 Hiland quality players with Detweiler, Miller, Wignet, and Hershberger. MC can go 8-9 deep, though when it gets tight, MC seems to only trust 6 players.

However, this team is still better than the 2021 Hiland team that went to the state tourney. and Hiland has still only conceded the district to a non-IVC school twice in the last 15 years (Shadyside 2010, River 2013). If anyone thinks Coach Schlabach is going to roll over, they are mistaken. This one will come down to the wire, even if MC would win by 7 or 8.

As for MC, they should feel confident about their chances. Haven't played a ton of meaningful games yet as a group, so this could be a bigger test than we think. That is why next year's MC team seems to have the chance to be so special. A year of experience this year and bringing back most of the team next year.

I don't think it will be a totally packed house in Belmont tomorrow night, but I hope it is a good environment.

Goodluck to both teams and I hope for some great basketball.

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

I'm disappointed 93BNV isn't carrying it. I'll be at the game so I don't care, but for the older generation it would have been nice if they had a local station do the game.

MC will have their side full, and the game will bring out more than a few die-hards from around the valley looking for a good game on a Friday night.

Good luck Noles. Your time is now. Bring it!!! Safe travels everyone.

Return to “Boys Basketball”