Thoughts on new rules

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Thoughts on new rules

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

In addition to awarding two foul shots for all common fouls, teams will reach the bonus when their opponent commits five fouls in each quarter and team fouls will reset at the end of each quarter. Previously, teams were awarded the one-and-one bonus when their opponents committed seven fouls in a half and two foul shots when ten fouls were committed each half.

“The rules committee studied data that showed higher injury rates on rebounding situations and saw this as an opportunity to reduce opportunities for rough play during rebounds,” said Lindsey Atkinson, NFHS Director of Sports and liaison to the Basketball Rules Committee. “Additionally, resetting the fouls each quarter will improve game flow and allow teams to adjust their play by not carrying foul totals to quarters two and four.”

Thoughts on this SEOPsters

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
RollCoal
JV Team

Re: Thoughts on new rules

Post by RollCoal »

It’s going to take some getting used to. I just hope that the fans are more understanding towards the officials as this is new to them. Hopefully once everyone settles into the new system, the game itself will be better for all involved. It will definitely change the strategy of the game!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

There are also new throw in rules for front court only situations. There will be 4 spots on the floor to throw the ball in from during front court fouls or time outs or violations. All back court situations are unchanged.

Live Like A Champion!
bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

It should cut down on free throws in the second and fourth periods, I just really do not like how there will be no 1 and 1 pressure free throws at the end of games. I don't think there will be nearly as much intentionally fouling at the end of a game when coaches know if they get to 5 its two shots versus putting a bad shooter at the line for a 1 and 1. Call me old school but if it ain't broke don't change it. I think the argument for less injuries is a joke. I can't even recall one time I've seen someone get hurt on a free throw. Most of the time it's jumping up and contesting shots, elevating for a shot and coming down on someone's foot, knee to knee with someone, or knee injuries when cutting/planting. All of those happen much less on free throws then any other time during the game. So NFHS can get out of here with that bull junk :!:

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I agree ^^^

Personally not a fan of it at all and it is a bs excuse citing injuries. The 1 and 1 at the end of a close game. There’s not another tense moment like it in hoops except for the last shot.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

this is complete ignorance..takes strategy out of the game...are injuries during 1 and 1s at epidemic proportions?? I saw a kid get hurt in warmups last year...maybe we should ban that too.

muskiefan11
JV Team

Post by muskiefan11 »

Don’t mind the 5 fouls per quarter, strongly dislike removing the 1 and 1. Nothing like the pressure of a late game 1 and 1. Will make it much tougher for late game comebacks in my opinion.

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

I like it. Mimics the college womens basketball rules.

No if we could just get the shot clock like other states have implemented we would be set.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

It will be interesting to see how the games are officiated if there is any philosophical change at all. Will the games be called tighter, or will the officials allow more physical play? Also the rule could lead to higher scoring games with no more misses at the front end of the 1 and 1. Players who are poor FT shooters won't be penalized as much with 2 opportunities to put points on the board.

Overall, I like the rule......I do wish the 1 and 1 would take effect the last 2 minutes of the game. As several have said above, the pressure of making the 1 and 1 late is unique to basketball. Wheelersburg in 1978 missed the front end of a 1 and 1 with seconds to go vs. Portsmouth; the Trojans tied the game, beat the Pirates in OT, and went on the win the State Championship. That missed FT could have clinched the game because there was no 3 point line back then.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

The FT rule is supposed to improve flow and discourage teams from fouling as much, basically clean up the game. I guess we will see if that happens. We did a fact finding vote at our district meeting about division expansion and we voted on shot clocks, like it or not, both will be here sooner rather than later.

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

My question is....what is wrong with basketball having a physical component?? Isn't that what sports are all about?? Sports are the last thing that idiot liberals havent ruined in our society, and now, here we are, worrying about little johnny getting bumped during a free throw.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Guess I don't fully understand the component of worrying about rebounding situations in regards to the 1-1 though. Player shoots the ball everyone is boxing out goes in no one is jumping around 2nd shot you have the same component that you have on the 2nd shot of a 2 shot foul so where does safety for rebounding situations come in at when it's the same thing? Only thing they're doing for it seems to be cutting down on the fouls as most teams aren't going to hit that 5 foul mark in a quarter. If they're worrying so much about rebounding situations, maybe they should only allow 1 body in the paint from each team at the same time, no boxing out and no jumping for a rebound. WOW.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

caldwellbasketball wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:54 pm The FT rule is supposed to improve flow and discourage teams from fouling as much, basically clean up the game. I guess we will see if that happens. We did a fact finding vote at our district meeting about division expansion and we voted on shot clocks, like it or not, both will be here sooner rather than later.

From fouling as much? This is learned in Summer Leagues and Shootouts. No D is played and players just foul when beat on the dribble due to there is usually no foul outs in summer basketball. Summer shootouts and Leagues are ruining the "Winter" basketball season, in my opinion.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

Great rule. Has worked in the NBA for many years. It cleans up the game and speeds it up

Refs will not call any differently than they have for the last few years.
Love to see shot clock, advancement of the ball in the last 2 min of a game and restricted arc rule put into affect in the next few years

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

Elijah Craig wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:32 pm Great rule. Has worked in the NBA for many years. It cleans up the game and speeds it up

Refs will not call any differently than they have for the last few years.
Love to see shot clock, advancement of the ball in the last 2 min of a game and restricted arc rule put into affect in the next few years
Yes! I am with you on what you would like to see. Shot clock is a must! I haven't really thought much about the other two, but they make sense. They definitely add to the game at the upper levels.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Watching football, most schools can't get the play clock done right. Now you want a shoot clock in basketball in a faster pace. Will make game a lot longer. Refs will have to stop game to make correction

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

itsme wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:51 am Watching football, most schools can't get the play clock done right. Now you want a shoot clock in basketball in a faster pace. Will make game a lot longer. Refs will have to stop game to make correction
Not to sound like a complete jerk, but you're saying we shouldn't advance the game because of the incompetence of a few? I do not buy that. Schools will figure it out, or at least those who care will.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

DcP3407 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:19 pm
itsme wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:51 am Watching football, most schools can't get the play clock done right. Now you want a shoot clock in basketball in a faster pace. Will make game a lot longer. Refs will have to stop game to make correction
Not to sound like a complete jerk, but you're saying we shouldn't advance the game because of the incompetence of a few? I do not buy that. Schools will figure it out, or at least those who care will.
I watch college basketball all winter, and the officials are continually correcting shot clock, game clock etc…

It’s not hard to imagine how this would help the game IMHO

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

I think it will not increase the scores that much

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Elijah Craig wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:32 pm
I watch college basketball all winter, and the officials are continually correcting shot clock, game clock etc…

It’s not hard to imagine how this would help the game IMHO
plus they can go to a screen and take minutes to figure it out

Return to “Boys Basketball”