Waverly Tigers Basketball 2023-2024

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Waverly Tigers Basketball 2023-2024

Post by Watchinghoops »

With less than 2 months till the first game and coming off a 2-20 record I am urging to see what the tigers can do. This summer the tigers looked very improved beating/competing with everybody but north adams which in my opinion has to be the best team in the area. Returning pretty much everybody after only having Kelly for a few games and swords for the second half of the season the tigers should look to go over .500 on the season, with the freshmen class coming in and a couple transfers I am hopeful for Waverly basketball to have a winning season.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly Tigers Basketball 2023-2024

Post by smurray »

12/01/23 at Southeastern (Ross)
12/02/23 vs Amanda
12/08/23 at Eastern (Pike)
12/09/23 vs Jackson - (CD Hawhee Court Celebration)
12/12/23 vs Huntington (Ross)
12/16/23 vs Hillsboro
12/19/23 vs Western (Pike)
12/22/23 vs Northwest
12/29/23 at Piketon
01/05/24 at West
01/09/24 vs Wheelersburg
01/12/24 vs South Webster
01/19/24 at Valley
01/23/24 at Minford
01/26/24 vs West
01/27/24 at Miami Trace
01/30/24 vs Eastern Brown
02/02/24 at Wheelersburg
02/06/24 at South Webster
02/09/24 vs Valley
02/10/24 vs New Hope Christian
02/16/24 vs Minford

13 Home
9 Away

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Basketball has officially started for the Tigers!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

smurray wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:51 pm Basketball has officially started for the Tigers!!!
smurray! you should have a MUCH improved Tiger team this season! a full compliment of returnees plus the addition of the Myers twins from Huntington, PG from Piketon Weston Bloss ... Coach Bradley in his first year courtside in Waverly ... who does he have on his staff this season?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:30 pm
smurray wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:51 pm Basketball has officially started for the Tigers!!!
smurray! you should have a MUCH improved Tiger team this season! a full compliment of returnees plus the addition of the Myers twins from Huntington, PG from Piketon Weston Bloss ... Coach Bradley in his first year courtside in Waverly ... who does he have on his staff this season?
Jack Trainer, Cade Marques, brought Stortz from Huntington. Not sure who else.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

smurray wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:25 pm
Thanks smurray!

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Great to see Cade on the staff had no idea he was

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

smurray wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:25 pm
Always a good time when you have Cadillac Jack sitting courtside!!
Excited to see what Coach Bradley and staff can do to help get us back in the right direction. Like mentioned above with most everyone returning a couple new players I'm excited to see how they all mesh together and can build chemistry for the years to come. I have no doubt Waverly faithful will be ready to show up and support! Go Tigers

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Pfloyd. Cody has been going in a lot with them and he said they will be significantly better.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ukfanatic wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:38 pm Pfloyd. Cody has been going in a lot with them and he said they will be significantly better.
Ukfanatic! great to hear ! I've circled the official "naming" of the House that Hawhee Built on Nov. 9th vs Jackson as a great game to see Waverly vs an Elite 8 Jackson squad ... good to hear that Cody is keeping connected with the Waverly program - great young man ...

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

It's pretty cool Waverly takes on all the Pike County Schools at some point in the season. I believe all the county schools will all play each other as Western/Eastern will see each other in conference play and Eastern/Western play Piketon in the SVC/SOC classic. Someone will have county braggin rights :D

As for Waverly it is hard to believe they will be the favored team in most games only winning 2 games last year but I believe they will be. West is below par, Valley lost everyone but Copley, Wheelersburg is solid but beatable, Who knows about Webster, and Minford will be two losses but overall they should finish top 3. They should be competitive in all their out of conference games as well. To me the goal should be 14-15+ wins for them this year.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Watchinghoops wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:55 pm With less than 2 months till the first game and coming off a 2-20 record I am urging to see what the tigers can do. This summer the tigers looked very improved beating/competing with everybody but north adams which in my opinion has to be the best team in the area. Returning pretty much everybody after only having Kelly for a few games and swords for the second half of the season the tigers should look to go over .500 on the season, with the freshmen class coming in and a couple transfers I am hopeful for Waverly basketball to have a winning season.
Pretty much returning everyone is a bit of a stretch, sounding like they're basically going to be running with freshman on the varsity team mixed in with Nibert, Shrader and Carroll. As some players have decided not to play. I think going over .500 might be a stretch, I don't see them beating Burg, Minford or South Webster, Jackson and Eastern Pike will give them problems possibly they can salvage a split in that series. Going to be some growing pains for sure but a team that should improve as the season goes on and really start making waves next season and beyond.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

Will definitely be interesting to see how this season plays out. So many unknowns. Last year was tough for the Tigers, with a new coach having to come in and take over after one of the schools best coaches ever stepped down and losing pretty much every player that got minutes. Now they turn the page again and have a new head coach. So 10 wins will be an improvement and a step in the right direction. I believe they have the potential to really surprise some teams and maybe steal a couple wins against some good teams. I don’t think they will contend for a league title, but I hope to see them competitive in at least most of their games.

Having kids choose not to play was a problem last year, will be curious to see who all comes out this year. They should have two good experienced senior guards in Nibert, Bloss and Morton(?). Carroll will be a good defender and hopefully is a little improved offensively. Heard that Hauck may be coming out again this year after not playing last year, he will be another good defender hopefully. Schrader will be a big body in the middle, looking for him to make a leap this year on both ends of the floor. If Haynes is playing, he struggled at times last year being asked to play varsity as a sophomore but he has so much potential.
They have a very strong group of freshman coming in, will be curious to see how many of them get playing time at the Varsity level. Going to guess at least a couple. Could see either of the Myers boys and Russell getting time potentially, maybe others. Idk if there is a single sophomore playing, so some of them may reap the benefits of that.

Waverlys focus should be to be competitive in every game and keep improving. This is one of those teams that may have some inexperience at first, but if some of the young guys can figure it out and can mesh with the upperclassman, this team might be a lower seed that a higher seed may not want to get matched up with come tournament time. They have a lot of young talent and a few more very good players in the JH program, the future is very bright for Waverly basketball if the program can find some stability.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

YouCantBeSerious wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:34 am Will definitely be interesting to see how this season plays out. So many unknowns. Last year was tough for the Tigers, with a new coach having to come in and take over after one of the schools best coaches ever stepped down and losing pretty much every player that got minutes. Now they turn the page again and have a new head coach. So 10 wins will be an improvement and a step in the right direction. I believe they have the potential to really surprise some teams and maybe steal a couple wins against some good teams. I don’t think they will contend for a league title, but I hope to see them competitive in at least most of their games.

Having kids choose not to play was a problem last year, will be curious to see who all comes out this year. They should have two good experienced senior guards in Nibert, Bloss and Morton(?). Carroll will be a good defender and hopefully is a little improved offensively. Heard that Hauck may be coming out again this year after not playing last year, he will be another good defender hopefully. Schrader will be a big body in the middle, looking for him to make a leap this year on both ends of the floor. If Haynes is playing, he struggled at times last year being asked to play varsity as a sophomore but he has so much potential.
They have a very strong group of freshman coming in, will be curious to see how many of them get playing time at the Varsity level. Going to guess at least a couple. Could see either of the Myers boys and Russell getting time potentially, maybe others. Idk if there is a single sophomore playing, so some of them may reap the benefits of that.

Waverlys focus should be to be competitive in every game and keep improving. This is one of those teams that may have some inexperience at first, but if some of the young guys can figure it out and can mesh with the upperclassman, this team might be a lower seed that a higher seed may not want to get matched up with come tournament time. They have a lot of young talent and a few more very good players in the JH program, the future is very bright for Waverly basketball if the program can find some stability.
Great information ... just like having Portsmouth being viable players on the hoops scene in hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line so is having Waverly be a team we can count on to be a TEAM now and in the years to come ... I love traveling to the House that Hawhee Built to watch basketball ! looking forward to being present to christen the Downtown Arena December 9th ...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:41 pm
YouCantBeSerious wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:34 am Will definitely be interesting to see how this season plays out. So many unknowns. Last year was tough for the Tigers, with a new coach having to come in and take over after one of the schools best coaches ever stepped down and losing pretty much every player that got minutes. Now they turn the page again and have a new head coach. So 10 wins will be an improvement and a step in the right direction. I believe they have the potential to really surprise some teams and maybe steal a couple wins against some good teams. I don’t think they will contend for a league title, but I hope to see them competitive in at least most of their games.

Great information ... just like having Portsmouth being viable players on the hoops scene in hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line so is having Waverly be a team we can count on to be a TEAM now and in the years to come ... I love traveling to the House that Hawhee Built to watch basketball ! looking forward to being present to christen the Downtown Arena December 9th ...
Looking forward to seeing you on the 9th...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

smurray wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:51 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:41 pm

Looking forward to seeing you on the 9th...
Same here my friend! should be an awesome atmosphere ... Waverly vs Jackson - great matchup ... it will be covered by the Jackson Radio Crew with Coach Morrow's dad on the call - that group definitely understands and appreciates the night - the naming for the Downtown Arena after the great Tiger coach - Coach Hawhee ...

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

I haven't heard if Morton is playing or not didn't think he was and I believe Haynes has decided not to play and is doing indoor soccer I also don't think M. Kelly is playing either. Haynes is a big loss as he was really playing some good ball at the end of last season. Both Myers boys will be in the starting lineup more than likely, I think you'll see Russell coming off the bench with Nibert and Bloss at the guard positions leaving Carroll or Shrader at the other starting position depending on what type of lineup the coach wants to put in. Depth is going to be an issue and getting guys of the bench who can score is going to hurt as well. Hez might see some time at varsity but I look for him to mainly be rolling with the JV team and dress varsity. Haven't confirmed if Houk is actually playing or not I'm sure by now they already have that answer, sophomore class is pretty thin, most of them would've been JV players anyways with the exception of C. Peters who was coming off the bench for varsity last year as a freshman until he sustained an ankle injury would've given them the ability to play with more height across the board plus would've added scoring to the lineup to go with his defense. 10 wins might be a stretch but really it's tough to gauge what that number might be until we start seeing the new coaches setup and how the players take to it and progress over the season. I think 7-10 wins could be possible, but with so many teams returning so much the SOC is going to be very tough and it'd be nice if Waverly could find a way to get some of the guys back out there it'd go a LONG ways toward the rebuild. Good Luck

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:52 am

I haven't heard if Morton is playing or not didn't think he was and I believe Haynes has decided not to play and is doing indoor soccer I also don't think M. Kelly is playing either. Haynes is a big loss as he was really playing some good ball at the end of last season. Both Myers boys will be in the starting lineup more than likely, I think you'll see Russell coming off the bench with Nibert and Bloss at the guard positions leaving Carroll or Shrader at the other starting position depending on what type of lineup the coach wants to put in. Depth is going to be an issue and getting guys of the bench who can score is going to hurt as well. Hez might see some time at varsity but I look for him to mainly be rolling with the JV team and dress varsity. Haven't confirmed if Houk is actually playing or not I'm sure by now they already have that answer, sophomore class is pretty thin, most of them would've been JV players anyways with the exception of C. Peters who was coming off the bench for varsity last year as a freshman until he sustained an ankle injury would've given them the ability to play with more height across the board plus would've added scoring to the lineup to go with his defense. 10 wins might be a stretch but really it's tough to gauge what that number might be until we start seeing the new coaches setup and how the players take to it and progress over the season. I think 7-10 wins could be possible, but with so many teams returning so much the SOC is going to be very tough and it'd be nice if Waverly could find a way to get some of the guys back out there it'd go a LONG ways toward the rebuild. Good Luck
It’s just a shame kids won’t play. Same thing happened to the first year coach last year. New coach coming in needs kids to play……

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

smurray wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:30 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:52 am

It’s just a shame kids won’t play. Same thing happened to the first year coach last year. New coach coming in needs kids to play……
Yeah I don’t quite understand it. I’ve heard reasons of not wanting to get hurt for other sports or wanting to focus on another sports instead. Which is not great reasoning. I mean kids are free to do as they choose, it is their decision to make. It is just frustrating to see so many athletes who could contribute and that have played their whole life choose to not come out. And I think once a kid or two says they aren’t going to play, it becomes much easier for others to follow suit. Most of these kids will never play sports in college, or if they do could still do so playing other sports. Some will grow to regret not taking the opportunity to play anything and everything as they get older.
I know many kids who have chosen to spend time focusing on other sports and haven’t seen much improvement in that particular sport that they have picked to focus on. Believe they would get the same results if they played multiple sports. But you gotta roll with who wants to be there and make the best of it. Think it could be rough at times this year, but if these young guys stick with it thru their whole career they will be a fun team to watch in a couple of years.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Morton is playing this year and I believe Hauck is as well - But you are correct, Haynes is not playing this year.
I think we will need to have a handful of the freshman class up on varsity this year but won't be bad for them to get that experience early

Return to “Boys Basketball”