Tanner on the move again, Marshall???

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Re: Tanner on the move again, Marshall???

Post by Raiderball »

What the hell... I didn't see where anyone was criticizing him.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:00 am Good grief. We can critique Tanner. Hes a grown man. We critique the president of the United States and none of us of probably been in that high of the political arena.

Having said that, I thought Tanner was poorly handled by the Ohio State coach. I believe Tanner could definitely contribute to a power 5 school easily but for some reason the Ohio State Coach started to remove his minutes for the younger guys. Not sure on his reasoning but the communication to tanner on the outside looked poor.

Holtmann really showed just how bad of a coach he is. Tanner would have easily helped the Buckeyes out this past season but Hotmann flat screwed him. How in the heck he thought Likele and McNeil were better than Tanner is an absolute joke. Everyone keeps saying Tanner couldn't play power5 ball but they thought those two could!!!! McNeil was horrible and brought nothing to the floor. He couldn't score and he couldn't rebound. He in no way used Tanner like he should of which was taking the ball to the rim and either getting the foul or getting the bucket. He hit 221 free throws the year before at Wright St. TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY ONE!!!!!!!!!!! That was second in the nation for free throws made. In all of the games I watched Tanner never took the ball to the basket. He would come down the floor and in Holtmann's stupid offense he would go stand in a corner and never see the ball.

Also, I love all of the comments about how he can't play in the Big Ten or against the power5 guys. He has played against those guys his whole basketball career on the AAU circuit so yeah, he could have easily played with them but just never got the chance. Every time the Bucks were on the BigTen network, former Purdue player Robbie Hummell would always comment on why isn't Tanner involved in the offense more. He knew he should have been playing.

I will not watch another Ohio State basketball game as long as Holtmann remains the coach. Everyone in Columbus knows he is a huge joke and want him gone.

Also, with the new rule they implemented, doesn't he have to sit out a year if he goes anywher that back to Wright St??

Whereever he goes I will follow every game he plays in. Loved watching him play all of these years and can't wait to see him on the floor again.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Holtmann perhaps the worst offensive coach in the country. His schemes are out of touch with today’s game.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:05 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:00 am Good grief. We can critique Tanner. Hes a grown man. We critique the president of the United States and none of us of probably been in that high of the political arena.

Having said that, I thought Tanner was poorly handled by the Ohio State coach. I believe Tanner could definitely contribute to a power 5 school easily but for some reason the Ohio State Coach started to remove his minutes for the younger guys. Not sure on his reasoning but the communication to tanner on the outside looked poor.

Holtmann really showed just how bad of a coach he is. Tanner would have easily helped the Buckeyes out this past season but Hotmann flat screwed him. How in the heck he thought Likele and McNeil were better than Tanner is an absolute joke. Everyone keeps saying Tanner couldn't play power5 ball but they thought those two could!!!! McNeil was horrible and brought nothing to the floor. He couldn't score and he couldn't rebound. He in no way used Tanner like he should of which was taking the ball to the rim and either getting the foul or getting the bucket. He hit 221 free throws the year before at Wright St. TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY ONE!!!!!!!!!!! That was second in the nation for free throws made. In all of the games I watched Tanner never took the ball to the basket. He would come down the floor and in Holtmann's stupid offense he would go stand in a corner and never see the ball.

Also, I love all of the comments about how he can't play in the Big Ten or against the power5 guys. He has played against those guys his whole basketball career on the AAU circuit so yeah, he could have easily played with them but just never got the chance. Every time the Bucks were on the BigTen network, former Purdue player Robbie Hummell would always comment on why isn't Tanner involved in the offense more. He knew he should have been playing.

I will not watch another Ohio State basketball game as long as Holtmann remains the coach. Everyone in Columbus knows he is a huge joke and want him gone.

Also, with the new rule they implemented, doesn't he have to sit out a year if he goes anywher that back to Wright St??

Whereever he goes I will follow every game he plays in. Loved watching him play all of these years and can't wait to see him on the floor again.
Lmfao your clear and obvious Burg bias is showing. You very well may be right about some of what you said. Maybe Holtman didn’t use him to his strengths. But let’s not kid ourselves he played a ton of minutes the first 13 or so games and what did he do other than hit that 3 that shouldn’t have counted? Just because you like the kid and he’s local doesn’t make him the stud you are making him out to be. If he was as good as you are making him seem would he have ended up at Wright State in the first place?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:45 pm Holtmann perhaps the worst offensive coach in the country. His schemes are out of touch with today’s game.
He’s got 1 more year. Doesn’t seem to be a bad guy, but when you’re at TOSU, hopefully the expectations are a sweet 16 berth and more. Outside of a handful of years, never been a basketball school. 1 national championship in TOSU history and only a handful of final 4’s

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:04 pm

Lmfao your clear and obvious Burg bias is showing. You very well may be right about some of what you said. Maybe Holtman didn’t use him to his strengths. But let’s not kid ourselves he played a ton of minutes the first 13 or so games and what did he do other than hit that 3 that shouldn’t have counted? Just because you like the kid and he’s local doesn’t make him the stud you are making him out to be. If he was as good as you are making him seem would he have ended up at Wright State in the first place?
If he wasn't a good player clown then why did Holtmann want him to come to Ohio State in the first place??? It's not like he just showed up at Ohio State and said I want to play here. Holtmann promised him things to get Tanner to come and then didn't let him shoot the ball. Like I said, he was 10 times better than Likele and McNeil yet McNeil shot the ball at will and was freaking horrible on defense and could not rebound at all.

Sure, he played quite a few minutes but he only took 69 total shots on the year compared to 491 the year before. Yeah, I might have Burg bias but I also know when a player can freaking play the game. It was obvious as hell that Holtmann told him to not shoot the ball when he was on the floor or to not take the ball to the hole like he did the year before. The basket is still the same height and the floor the same length in whatever league you play in. Holtmann flat screwed him and that was obvious.

Also, I don't really understand the problem with him going to Wright St. They are a D1 school that plays a fairly decent non-conference schedule and players get drafted from schools like Wright st all the time. Don't give me the bullshit he couldn't play with BigTen talent because he played against that talent every summer in AAU ball.

Bottomline is Tanner got screwed by Holtmann and Holtmann proved he is a horrible coach. His offense was the laughing stock of the Big Ten and it showed every game just how bad it was.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Buckeyes undoubtedly got worse as the season progressed. Tanners minutes dwindled as did the success of the bucks. Not saying tanner was the “glue”or anything close but the team definitely did not improve as the year progressed. Good coaches make their team better. Win or lose. Tanner is a competitor and competitors want to get better. Good for him for seeing the big picture and moving on. What we will never know is what impact does NIL have on playing time? How influential are the influencers? NBA and college ball are merely a game of financial daddy ball. It shows in play quality. No name and smaller schools have better ball players but they don’t get the NBA talent. Hopefully tanner goes somewhere that gives him a chance to compete in March. This years tournament will be the new normal most years moving forward. Occasionally a big name school will land “that class” but most years it’s gonna be lesser known programs bc they are going after good players not number of stars or NBA potential.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:56 am

If he wasn't a good player clown then why did Holtmann want him to come to Ohio State in the first place??? It's not like he just showed up at Ohio State and said I want to play here. Holtmann promised him things to get Tanner to come and then didn't let him shoot the ball. Like I said, he was 10 times better than Likele and McNeil yet McNeil shot the ball at will and was freaking horrible on defense and could not rebound at all.

Sure, he played quite a few minutes but he only took 69 total shots on the year compared to 491 the year before. Yeah, I might have Burg bias but I also know when a player can freaking play the game. It was obvious as hell that Holtmann told him to not shoot the ball when he was on the floor or to not take the ball to the hole like he did the year before. The basket is still the same height and the floor the same length in whatever league you play in. Holtmann flat screwed him and that was obvious.

Also, I don't really understand the problem with him going to Wright St. They are a D1 school that plays a fairly decent non-conference schedule and players get drafted from schools like Wright st all the time. Don't give me the bullshit he couldn't play with BigTen talent because he played against that talent every summer in AAU ball.

Bottomline is Tanner got screwed by Holtmann and Holtmann proved he is a horrible coach. His offense was the laughing stock of the Big Ten and it showed every game just how bad it was.
I never said he wasn’t a good player cryass. I said if he was as good as you’re making him out to be why did he go to Wright State? Let’s not sit here and pretend they are a powerhouse school and that plays a tough non conference schedule buddy.
If he was good enough to play against these B1G players he would’ve ended up at Ohio State in the first place. I highly doubt he sat out wanting to end up at Wright State. Most Ohio kids dream to play at Ohio State, he entered the portal after leading a Wright State team (his level of competition) to a nice tournament birth. But he was not the best player on that team even, it was the big kid who ended up transferring to Virginia Tech. You can spin the narrative anyway you want, hell I’ll even agree with some of it in you saying Holtman probably didn’t let him shoot. But something tells me he didn’t just keep Tanner off the floor for fun. Clearly he wasn’t physical enough for the B1G style of play, never seen him out there and thought man he’s playing great defense, didn’t look like a leader out there. Instead you had freshman out there leading. Once again I think Tanner is a good basketball player, he’s a good kid. To play basketball at any collegiate level means you can hoop. But you and all of the rest of the starry eyed Burg fans can’t seem to take any other opinion on Tanner other than he’s the next MJ who got shafted by Holtman and now should go play at Duke or UCLA. Lol

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:59 am

I never said he wasn’t a good player cryass. I said if he was as good as you’re making him out to be why did he go to Wright State? Let’s not sit here and pretend they are a powerhouse school and that plays a tough non conference schedule buddy.
If he was good enough to play against these B1G players he would’ve ended up at Ohio State in the first place. I highly doubt he sat out wanting to end up at Wright State. Most Ohio kids dream to play at Ohio State, he entered the portal after leading a Wright State team (his level of competition) to a nice tournament birth. But he was not the best player on that team even, it was the big kid who ended up transferring to Virginia Tech. You can spin the narrative anyway you want, hell I’ll even agree with some of it in you saying Holtman probably didn’t let him shoot. But something tells me he didn’t just keep Tanner off the floor for fun. Clearly he wasn’t physical enough for the B1G style of play, never seen him out there and thought man he’s playing great defense, didn’t look like a leader out there. Instead you had freshman out there leading. Once again I think Tanner is a good basketball player, he’s a good kid. To play basketball at any collegiate level means you can hoop. But you and all of the rest of the starry eyed Burg fans can’t seem to take any other opinion on Tanner other than he’s the next MJ who got shafted by Holtman and now should go play at Duke or UCLA. Lol

Now I know you are clueless!!! You think the big man on Wright St last year was their best player. That's hilarious!!!

No one on any thread has ever thought Tanner was the next MJ but we all do know he is a good enough basketball player that he could have contributed to the Buckeyes last season had he been given the chance. How do you take a player that took close to 500 shots the year before and only let him shoot 69 times for the whole season??? How in the hell can he prove anything. Why did he ne need to be physical for B1G play? He wasn't a banger that posted guys up! He's a slasher and a guy that takes the ball to the hole to get the fouls. He went to the line well over 200 times two years ago making 221 of them and stop bringing up he didn't play defense because no one on that team played any kind of defense all season.

Bottomline is Holtmann lied to Tanner to get him to come there and promised him things he didn't hold up on his end. You say he didn't look like a leader out there, when he did he have a chance to be that leader?

Can you explain to me why McNeil played as much as he did because he was an absolute joke!! You want to talk about someone not playing defense. That kid couldn't guard himself yet he started every night and kept chucking up three after three yet couldn't throw it in the ocean if he was standing on the beach.

We will see how Tanner will do wherever he ends up. I'll make a small bet he plays better than what he was allowed at Ohio State.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:32 am

Now I know you are clueless!!! You think the big man on Wright St last year was their best player. That's hilarious!!!

No one on any thread has ever thought Tanner was the next MJ but we all do know he is a good enough basketball player that he could have contributed to the Buckeyes last season had he been given the chance. How do you take a player that took close to 500 shots the year before and only let him shoot 69 times for the whole season??? How in the hell can he prove anything. Why did he ne need to be physical for B1G play? He wasn't a banger that posted guys up! He's a slasher and a guy that takes the ball to the hole to get the fouls. He went to the line well over 200 times two years ago making 221 of them and stop bringing up he didn't play defense because no one on that team played any kind of defense all season.

Bottomline is Holtmann lied to Tanner to get him to come there and promised him things he didn't hold up on his end. You say he didn't look like a leader out there, when he did he have a chance to be that leader?

Can you explain to me why McNeil played as much as he did because he was an absolute joke!! You want to talk about someone not playing defense. That kid couldn't guard himself yet he started every night and kept chucking up three after three yet couldn't throw it in the ocean if he was standing on the beach.

We will see how Tanner will do wherever he ends up. I'll make a small bet he plays better than what he was allowed at Ohio State.
Mcneil was in the top 25 in the Big Ten in 3's made and %. Don't act like he couldn't shoot because you are upset Tanner didn't play as much as you thought as should.

Do I wish Tanner would have played more? Sure. He is a great kid and was a joy to watch at Wheelersburg. At the end of the day, the Bucks were bad. Holtmann struggled to adjust to what he had. But if you think he didn't play Tanner to "screw him" then you are delusional. College coaches are paid to do one thing. Win. Period. In no world is a coach not playing who he thinks he gives him the best chance to win. If Holtmann didn't think Tanner was that guy, then there was a reason. No coach is going to endure the season he had just to not play someone. Any thoughts to the contrary are laughable.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I meant no disrespect to Tanner when I said going to a power 5 school would be a mistake. I was basing that off of his time in Columbus, however many of you have stated he didn’t get to really play to his full potential and I’d probably agree. Regardless it’s a shame it didn’t work out for him being a Buckeye. Hoping where ever he ends up at will have several games on TV. Always enjoy watching local kids at the next level!

Who Dey!
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

PTrojan59 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:29 am I meant no disrespect to Tanner when I said going to a power 5 school would be a mistake. I was basing that off of his time in Columbus, however many of you have stated he didn’t get to really play to his full potential and I’d probably agree. Regardless it’s a shame it didn’t work out for him being a Buckeye. Hoping where ever he ends up at will have several games on TV. Always enjoy watching local kids at the next level!
It was said when he made the move, I don't think anyone takes it as disrespect just some poster get their feelings hurt over the truth. Tanner is a solid player but he's low level D1 at best and there's nothing wrong with that, get your education rack up some stats and move on. Much like D'ante Jackson years ago from McClain guy was a STUD and offensive power and he got the full-ride to Xavier and they turned him into a defensive guy and he really barely scored there. I think some are simply don't understand the skill it actually takes to get on the court with these guys or to carve out significant playing time, and when it doesn't happen they blame everything else but the fact that other players are simply better.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Looks like he’s heading back to Wright State.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Yep, back to Wright State good luck to him

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Post by RBH23 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:24 pm
PTrojan59 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:29 am I meant no disrespect to Tanner when I said going to a power 5 school would be a mistake. I was basing that off of his time in Columbus, however many of you have stated he didn’t get to really play to his full potential and I’d probably agree. Regardless it’s a shame it didn’t work out for him being a Buckeye. Hoping where ever he ends up at will have several games on TV. Always enjoy watching local kids at the next level!
It was said when he made the move, I don't think anyone takes it as disrespect just some poster get their feelings hurt over the truth. Tanner is a solid player but he's low level D1 at best and there's nothing wrong with that, get your education rack up some stats and move on. Much like D'ante Jackson years ago from McClain guy was a STUD and offensive power and he got the full-ride to Xavier and they turned him into a defensive guy and he really barely scored there. I think some are simply don't understand the skill it actually takes to get on the court with these guys or to carve out significant playing time, and when it doesn't happen they blame everything else but the fact that other players are simply better.
Completely agree. Tanner doesn’t shoot the three well which hurts him trying to compete against the big boys. Gotta be able to do that at 6’5” to have success as the shooting guard/small forward in today’s game. Also, he’s unfortunately not quick enough off the dribble to make up for his inability to shoot the 3. Low D1 in bball is about right.

I always believed that football gave him a better chance of playing major D1 college ball. 6’5” basketball players are common, but that height as a receiver is a major plus.

BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

Who cares! Let kids play where they want!

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Post by GeneralCarpenter »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:04 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:32 am

Mcneil was in the top 25 in the Big Ten in 3's made and %. Don't act like he couldn't shoot because you are upset Tanner didn't play as much as you thought as should.

Do I wish Tanner would have played more? Sure. He is a great kid and was a joy to watch at Wheelersburg. At the end of the day, the Bucks were bad. Holtmann struggled to adjust to what he had. But if you think he didn't play Tanner to "screw him" then you are delusional. College coaches are paid to do one thing. Win. Period. In no world is a coach not playing who he thinks he gives him the best chance to win. If Holtmann didn't think Tanner was that guy, then there was a reason. No coach is going to endure the season he had just to not play someone. Any thoughts to the contrary are laughable.
No point in talking to that guy. He’s clueless about basketball. Just talking out of anger for some reason.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Best wishes neighbor!

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

It has been announced, Tanner is going back to Wright! imo a good decision

Return to “Boys Basketball”