Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Re: Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Thanks, everyone for your comments and support. There's a lot of work to be done and I will work tirelessly to return the program to its Prominence. We will start from the bottom and build up. We have some special raw talent mixed with some good basketball players coming back. If the kids buy in I look for great things to happen. It certainly cannot happen overnight...but I'm a strong believer in miracles! I'm very pleased with our attendance in our open gyms and the level of competitiveness and energy. I believe we have formed a great coaching staff with the addition of several volunteer Administrative Positions pending approvals, I'm looking forward to announcing our Director of Basketball Operations. I'm calling out all former Portsmouth Trojan alumni basketball players to reach out as I need all of you to help us Rise-Up!!!!!!

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Good luck from Ironton Coach. Rooting for you all to be 20-2 next season!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Jeff: I have no doubt that with your energy, drive, and commitment that you will bring the Trojans back to the place that was once so familiar......as the kingpin of the SE district and one of Ohio's most notable programs. I have already seen as an eyewitness how much difference you've made already. The attendance, even with track and baseball going on at the same time, has been really good. What I like, too, is that there are kids from all grade levels......all the way down to 4th grade getting to play against some of the upperclassmen. There has also been good participation from the girls team.

Coach Lisath's philosophy of pressing and running will be a good fit for the players that will coming back for the 2023-24 season. There's a lot athleticism to take advantage of, but as he has said, the players must be in great shape to fully execute that style.

So far there's been a lot of improvement from a good number of players, but 3 that stand out to me are Isaiah Lewis, Donovan Breech, and Dontavion Parker. They have shown the ability to score, defend, push the ball up the court, and play team first basketball.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

trojandave wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:15 am Jeff: I have no doubt that with your energy, drive, and commitment that you will bring the Trojans back to the place that was once so familiar......as the kingpin of the SE district and one of Ohio's most notable programs. I have already seen as an eyewitness how much difference you've made already. The attendance, even with track and baseball going on at the same time, has been really good. What I like, too, is that there are kids from all grade levels......all the way down to 4th grade getting to play against some of the upperclassmen. There has also been good participation from the girls team.

Coach Lisath's philosophy of pressing and running will be a good fit for the players that will coming back for the 2023-24 season. There's a lot athleticism to take advantage of, but as he has said, the players must be in great shape to fully execute that style.

So far there's been a lot of improvement from a good number of players, but 3 that stand out to me are Isaiah Lewis, Donovan Breech, and Dontavion Parker. They have shown the ability to score, defend, push the ball up the court, and play team first basketball.
Dave, is Dontavion the grandson of Clarence Parker? If so, Lord it's hard to imagine that young man being that old, but I guess the timeline would make sense, I worked outreach back in 2012 and he would of been just a pup then. I'm sure racking up the years..lol

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

NewEra: Dontavion is Clarence's grandson, and he will be a sophomore at PHS next year. He is uber athletic, and totally fun to watch. He will guard anybody hard. He totally fits what Coach Lisath wants to do, which is maximizing the athleticism of his roster.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Portsmouth needs height, 6’1 isn’t going to do it.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

The June 29th Summer Scrimmage Schedule is set.

Portsmouth vs Portsmouth West 4:00 PM
Zane Trace vs Dayton Northridge 4:45 PM
Portsmouth vs Dayton Northridge 5:30 PM
Zane Trace vs Portsmouth West 6:15 PM
Portsmouth vs Zane Trace 7:00 PM
Dayton Northridge vs Portsmouth West 7:45 PM

*Due to being a Community event an unusually big crowd is expected ...details forthcoming! Don't miss this exciting action.

June 30th Summer Scrimmage Schedule:

Portsmouth West vs New Boston 10:00 AM
Portsmouth vs South Webster 10:45 AM
Dayton Northridge vs New Boston. 11:30 AM
South Webster vs Dayton Northridge 12:15 PM
Portsmouth vs New Boston 1:00 PM
South Webster vs Portsmouth West 1:45 PM
Dayton Northridge vs Portsmouth 2:30 PM

*All games to be played at Portsmouth High School
Last edited by Jeff Lisath on Fri May 19, 2023 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

14U: Portsmouth does have some size this coming season: 6-4 JR Luke Stine, 6-4 SO Olynshay McKinley, 6-3 SR Donovan Breech, and 6-2 SR Noah Livingston.

The Trojans are going to have a completely different look in style of play. Run and press, run and press, run and press.....those words coming from Coach Lisath. Height isn't necessarily the most important asset to have with that style; Jeff wants to play 10-12 players. The size we have will certainly help on the boards, but the size guys are going to have to keep up with the shorter players. I look for the Trojans to be one of the best conditioned teams in the SE district. Coach is already putting the kids on notice about that.

Jeff: Really looking forward to seeing your new look Trojans on the 29th and 30th of June, and I do think like you that a big crowd will be there.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Trojandave

To add to the size , one of last year's starters DeAndre Berry looks to be close to 6"3 ,he's at least 6"2

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Biggdowgg: You're right about DeAndre......and he's a good rebounder for his size. 2nd team All-SE District averaging 17 PPG. Very well could exceed that mark this coming season.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Just waiting for board approval to announce the official coaching positions in the program. One thing that is significant is the number of people that have agreed to help Coach Lisath in various positions, all the way down to the bantam league level. Around 15 people, many of whom are Trojan basketball alumni, which is what Jeff was hoping for.

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

Good ramblings going on about the culture and the atmosphere down on Gallia & Waller lately. I wouldn't be surprised if a few new faces appear on the roster this season. I've heard rumors but haven't we all? I'm going on record to say if Lisath can nabbed Eli Roberts, look for the Men of Troy to make a run to the Elite 8. I'd even venture out to say Final 4 if Lattimore returns.

Any more information on staff announcements? I've heard some names and it sounds like they are looking to build from the bottom up. KUDOS to Portsmouth, and l'll end with this, if the ND guy is joining Lisath that Thomas kid HAS to follow the path coach is on. He was the best guard they had to offer last season but he played JV because the dollar is king if you catch what I'm laying down. Go let Coach Lisath get you where you desire to be in 3 years.

I look forward to seeing what transpires and seeing that gym packed again like in 2012!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Jussmypinion wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:40 am Good ramblings going on about the culture and the atmosphere down on Gallia & Waller lately. I wouldn't be surprised if a few new faces appear on the roster this season. I've heard rumors but haven't we all? I'm going on record to say if Lisath can nabbed Eli Roberts, look for the Men of Troy to make a run to the Elite 8. I'd even venture out to say Final 4 if Lattimore returns.

Any more information on staff announcements? I've heard some names and it sounds like they are looking to build from the bottom up. KUDOS to Portsmouth, and l'll end with this, if the ND guy is joining Lisath that Thomas kid HAS to follow the path coach is on. He was the best guard they had to offer last season but he played JV because the dollar is king if you catch what I'm laying down. Go let Coach Lisath get you where you desire to be in 3 years.

I look forward to seeing what transpires and seeing that gym packed again like in 2012!
Yeah, it going to be a quicker turnaround than expected at PHS if some of the rumors currently out there turn out to be true.*

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

Art: You are correct. I was at a grad party over the weekend. A friend says her nephew has been begging her for a month to let him move in so he can go to PHS. She asked him why and he said the gym is amazing. I just feel different in there, and the coach has connections, I need him to coach me.
Don't know what Lisath is putting in the Gatorade but it just might be working.
The rumors certainly make me anxious to see who ends up on Waller St. next school year.
Is McGraw league still a thing? Will Portsmouth be entering a team if so?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Trojan Camp June 2nd, 3rd, and 5th at PHS. Coach Lisath will introduce his plan and methodology to return the Trojans to prominence. Should be a fascinating watch.

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

trojandave wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:28 pm Trojan Camp June 2nd, 3rd, and 5th at PHS. Coach Lisath will introduce his plan and methodology to return the Trojans to prominence. Should be a fascinating watch.
Will this be open to spectators and parents?

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

If Coach Lisath is introducing his system, I doubt it would be open to spectators outside the Portsmouth Trojan community. I could be wrong. If it's a camp to work on fundamentals like a normal camp then i don't see an issue.

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

trojandave wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:28 pm Trojan Camp June 2nd, 3rd, and 5th at PHS. Coach Lisath will introduce his plan and methodology to return the Trojans to prominence. Should be a fascinating watch.
Should be an exciting time for you and our Trojan faithful.
I would hope to catch some summer ball once they’ve started to gel and execute Coach’s game plan. I am in agreement with Juss, Thomas should really consider going back home (PHS) the sky is the limit for him with Lisath at the helm. I’m sure his family Kyle Taylor would agree.
Jeff IS a proven winner, it’s almost as if he thrives off of downtrodden or written off programs. He has always seemed to show up and change the narrative QUICKLY!
I’ll have my season ticket in hand! GO TROJANS!

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Who is Thomas? What are the other rumors? Any of these kids also play football?

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:11 pm Who is Thomas? What are the other rumors? Any of these kids also play football?
I know two of them did play and contribute significantly to their teams last season. We hear these "transfer" rumors so often, so you don't hang your hat on these kids coming. I guess now we just wait to see who suits up where next season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”