Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Post by trojandave »

Non-mandatory conditioning begins on October 16th. Coach Lisath will have a vigorous running program, using the track as part of it. He has said from his 1st day that the players must be in great shape to implement his style of running and pressing.

OHSAA website lists November 3rd as the 1st day of mandatory coaching.

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

trojandave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:53 pm Non-mandatory conditioning begins on October 16th. Coach Lisath will have a vigorous running program, using the track as part of it. He has said from his 1st day that the players must be in great shape to implement his style of running and pressing.

OHSAA website lists November 3rd as the 1st day of mandatory coaching.
I'd like to see Coach take a Coach K approach, track open at 5am for conditioning prior to class, followed by a fruit and toast breakfast a shower and some devotional/motivational readings for team bonding. One would be a fool to not think, Coach Lisath's conditioning expectations of his team are not beneficial to PHS athletics overall.
I noticed a few weeks ago a significant increase in the amount of kids in the weight training class. I was told alot of them are basketball players. That's a win for Kalb I'm sure as well. I'm hoping a new coach will have some of the underclassmen who opted out of playing 8th & 9th grade year, dusting off their hoop shoes. A few of Kalb's kids I'd like to see give Lyce a shot would be the younger Roth, the elder Poxes, Littlefield, the kid they call Jam and Kenny Sanderlins little brother Dylan. Rebuilding seasons are hard, but as trojandave has alluded some pieces are falling into place. Is it basketball season yet?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

jussmypinion: One thing that I've been hearing is that there could very well be some football players coming out for the team who didn't play last year. The overall numbers since the summer, though, are better to the point that there's now a good sized sophomore class, with the increasing possibility that there will be a freshman team, which we didn't have last year.

What will transpire no doubt is how successful Coach Lisath is in his 1st year will determine future numbers at all levels. All signs point to having a very good season coming up, how good we shall see but he has a very good core of players that will make up his varsity rotation.

I had a good chat with Hornets coach Vanderhoof at the Coal Grove game, and I told him that Coach Lisath is going to put a different looking Trojan team on the court......using all 94 feet on defense, pushing the ball up the court, and using a rotation of 10 players or so. PHS will resemble the teams that Jeff coached at Dayton Northridge, or what many Trojan fans can relate to is that style that Joe Suboticki employed when he coached Portsmouth to a 94-11 record with a state championship and a state runnerup in 4 years. Coach Lisath was an assistant coach on those teams.

One thing that Coach Lisath has been preaching since day 1........the players MUST be in supreme condition to employ his style......and I firmly believe he will get them to that level.

Fatdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Fatdog »

Trojans will be back quickly with the new coach!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Only 24 days until the official hoops season begins November 3rd!!

Coach Lisath has scheduled scrimmages at Oxford Talawanda, at Dayton Northridge, and home vs. South Webster.

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

trojandave wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:35 pm Only 24 days until the official hoops season begins November 3rd!!

Coach Lisath has scheduled scrimmages at Oxford Talawanda, at Dayton Northridge, and home vs. South Webster.
Will be interesting to see how they bounce back against Webster with a full roster. Summer league play was disappointing versus SW.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Non-mandatory conditioning will take place a week later than I posted. It will still be a 2 week program.

Open gyms continue to have good numbers.

Getting closer and closer to a new era of Trojan basketball. I can tell you that Coach Lisath is all business about bringing our program back to a high level. He has assembled a very good coaching staff that are also all in on Jeff's blueprint.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Non-mandatory conditioning will start on Monday 10/23 from 6-8 PM and will continue through Thursday 10/26, then the following week will follow the same schedule. Depending on if the football team makes the playoffs, the participation numbers could vary quite a bit.

I believe these are all conditioning sessions with no open gym planned. Coach Lisath is going to have these kids run, run, run, and run some more. However the season plays out, the Trojans will absolutely be one of the best conditioned teams in the SE district.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The first day of non-mandatory conditioning took place at PHS yesterday, and it was a huge success. The participation numbers were slightly above 30 kids, which was better than any preceding open gyms. There was a lot of running......a lot of running.......and a lot of running. The trash containers were in full use as there were several kids whose stomachs were getting accustomed to how rigorous Coach Lisath's conditioning program is.

That's just the first day.......conditioning will continue through Thursday of this week, then Monday--Thursday next week.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Getting excited for Nov.3rd which is the 1st day for Coach Lisath to introduce his system, and he has the players that will fit what he wants to do.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Regular season is approaching quickly, I’m excited to check out some games.

Who Dey!
Real Time
Freshman Team

Post by Real Time »

trojandave wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:02 pm Getting excited for Nov.3rd which is the 1st day for Coach Lisath to introduce his system, and he has the players that will fit what he wants to do.
Sounds like you will have to wait until the 4th for Coach to introduce his system. He is encouraging the players to go support the football team on Friday night. It would not shock me if he makes them go for 4 hours that 1st practice. Can't wait for the season to start.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Real Time: You're absolutely right......mandatory practice will start on the 4th because Coach Lisath has strongly urged his players to support the football team. Coach said his initial practices will be long due to introducing his system. Conditioning continues through Thursday of this week.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

I love that coach has his young men going to support the football team...It will really help the
overall school spirt, imo. The local school I support here in Surprise, AZ has the same mind set
as coach L, imo. our school has had really good teams for the past 9-10 years with a lot of height,
speed, skill and players willing to give all they had..we have gotten to final 4 in our class several
time but no ring....my point is this, last season we did not have any height, one player aroung 6'4
and the rest smaller, but coach loves to run the 94 from start to finish and press, press, press and
some more press....it appears coach L is going to do the same and he has prove of it and his success.
would love to see some of their games,,,,.but you all will just have to help me root for the ole Trojans
from afar.....Having said all this to say this,,,,Go Trojans!

Return to “Boys Basketball”