South Webster - Head Coach

sosfanswbb
Waterboy

Re: South Webster - Head Coach

Post by sosfanswbb »

Well it seems like it is going to be a 700+ win coach or someone may be getting their first ever HC position or anywhere in between. A lot of success is going to be happening in the future at Webster and not just the next two years. It would be great to see a new young coach get an opportunity to start a career as an HC and maybe bring an older coach along with them for the ride for guidance and wisdom. Only time will tell with this one, but it could be some muddy water along the way.

Jimmy Chitwood
Waterboy

Post by Jimmy Chitwood »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:27 pm The head coach usually gets too much credit when things going good, and too much blame when things are bad, and I feel like the latter is what's going on right now. Hate it for Cole as I felt like expectations have been out of whack at SW for a few years now. Webster has not won a D4 District Championship since 2013. It's not the same job it was 10-15 years ago.

As for replacements, Fenton should be the first choice if they're going in-house as he did a solid job before as head coach and the kids respect him. If Webster looking outside, Norm Persin wants the job and would be the obvious choice. But real question to ask is can the players (and their parents) handle his old-school coaching style? I have my doubts.

As for others mentioned, Hollar has some connections to Kreischer, but would be very surprised if he left Burg even though he an assistant there. As for Williams, Waverly should be begging him to take their open job.*
Agree 100%...Expectations have been way too high for the talent (or lack therof) thats been there the last 4 or 5 years...If Fenton even wants the job, he should be the first pick...I'd love to say that Norm should get it, but with the type of kids and parents that are there now, I don't think they could handle Norm running the program the way he does. We've seen what happens in that situation...Curious to see how it all plays out..Hopefully, it will be someone that can keep 22 in check and not let people from outside of the program dictate what happens on the court.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I saw the house on Zillow for sale and the pictures and stuff and the name on the listing was Persin. My bad. Wrong one

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Norm as head coach with Fenton as his top assistant

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

HERO wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:06 pm Norm as head coach with Fenton as his top assistant
Speak it into existence brother 🙏

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

HERO wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:06 pm Norm as head coach with Fenton as his top assistant
Persin had Fenton on his staff at Valley, so this definitely a possibility.

Prodigy: Webster already got “big problems” that a new coach (no matter who it is) not just going to magically solve overnight. With Fenton already coaching on current staff, the people out there who matter apparently don’t have any issues with him.*

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Where do I apply?

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

Only way Norm doesn't get this job is if he decides to not take it. I know it's a short term thing, and honestly I don't see anything wrong with it. Someone else can get their shot at it here in a few years

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:01 pm
Hoopster98 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:41 pm This is why you don't see a lot of young coaches these days. A lot of the older coaches get the "good" jobs so they don't have to develop the kids and the younger coaches are left with terrible jobs with nothing coming up and then their coaching record is not very good which causes them not to get the "good" jobs. As soon as a board member or hiring committee sees a certain name they jump at it and boom as soon as the talent leaves they are off to the next job.
This may sound good in your head but it lacks evidence particularly when it comes to SOC 2 jobs.

Valley - Extremely young coach, which was his first HC job.

Minford - Shoemaker, only had one HC job prior at Portsmouth but came to his home town when it opened up.

West - Very young, his first HC job.

Eastern Pike - VERY young, his first HC job.

Oak Hill - McKinnis isn't what I'd call "old," his first mens HC job I believe.

Wheelersburg - Prater is young, his first HC job.

Northwest - Scarberry has coached a long time yes but his son is young and has a big part in the program.

Waverly - had an extremely young HC which was his 1st year as Mens HC and stepped down on his own.

Cole was at SW for 4-5 years and it was his first HC job as well.

So when it comes to the SOC 2, no, I don't agree with what you are saying. The SOC2 has been notorious for hiring younger coaches and giving them their 1st HC opportunity.
I might be mistaken, but I think that McKinnis at one time was the Head Boys Coach for a couple years at Jackson High School. Also, he may have been the Head Girls Coach at Jackson for a year or two at a different time.

seosportsfanalumni
Waterboy

Post by seosportsfanalumni »

Fenton pretty much ran the show this past year and we see how that turned out and if you don't believe that, then you must not have watched too many games. I could tell that from the livestream 600 miles away. If the program wants to be successful for the long term, then it is time to bring in a new HC that hasn't been an HC before. If there is someone in the district that can have a chance at it, that hasn't been the head coach before, then use them. If not, then go find someone outside the school. One that is going to care about the players not just in the gym. How one coach looks to the public eye is not what that coach is like behind closed doors. As a person that moved away from Southern, Ohio many years ago, but has strong ties at Webster and the surrounding area, let someone new come in and see where the program goes. Today's players are not going to respond with yesterday's coaching styles. The sideline needs energy and someone that is going to be moving constantly and engaged with their team. The more hype the coach brings, the more the players get hyped.

The players do not want to play for someone that doesn't see them for anything except players. Coaching in today's world is an investment in kids. I have a nephew that is close to the program, he sure liked playing in junior high there the last few years, and they were just as successful, if not a little bit more, but has no interest in playing after the year they just had with one of the current coaches if they return. It may be an early start to baseball for them after soccer the next few years.

I have followed this thread for the last two days, and swore I would never join the festivities, but I had to clear some things off my chest.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yeah McKinniss was varsity girls coach in Jackson a few years and boys coach for a couple. Was an assistant at Rio too in between

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

So let’s get this straight. Fenton ran the show - although Cole was the head coach.
I also live out of state and watched the live streams and have no idea what you are talking about.
What I do know is Fenton was the head coach of the JV team and they had the best record in the history of the school for the JV team.

I’ll trust the school administrators to make the right choices and not someone who gets their information over a live stream.
seosportsfanalumni wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:14 pm Fenton pretty much ran the show this past year and we see how that turned out and if you don't believe that, then you must not have watched too many games. I could tell that from the livestream 600 miles away. If the program wants to be successful for the long term, then it is time to bring in a new HC that hasn't been an HC before. If there is someone in the district that can have a chance at it, that hasn't been the head coach before, then use them. If not, then go find someone outside the school. One that is going to care about the players not just in the gym. How one coach looks to the public eye is not what that coach is like behind closed doors. As a person that moved away from Southern, Ohio many years ago, but has strong ties at Webster and the surrounding area, let someone new come in and see where the program goes. Today's players are not going to respond with yesterday's coaching styles. The sideline needs energy and someone that is going to be moving constantly and engaged with their team. The more hype the coach brings, the more the players get hyped.

The players do not want to play for someone that doesn't see them for anything except players. Coaching in today's world is an investment in kids. I have a nephew that is close to the program, he sure liked playing in junior high there the last few years, and they were just as successful, if not a little bit more, but has no interest in playing after the year they just had with one of the current coaches if they return. It may be an early start to baseball for them after soccer the next few years.

I have followed this thread for the last two days, and swore I would never join the festivities, but I had to clear some things off my chest.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

I think this year you actually saw Cole let an assistant actually coach, or maybe one stepped up and coached anyway. I’ve been told that’s a complaint.

seosportsfanalumni
Waterboy

jeep80 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:37 am So let’s get this straight. Fenton ran the show - although Cole was the head coach.
I also live out of state and watched the live streams and have no idea what you are talking about.
What I do know is Fenton was the head coach of the JV team and they had the best record in the history of the school for the JV team.

I’ll trust the school administrators to make the right choices and not someone who gets their information over a live stream.
seosportsfanalumni wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:14 pm Fenton pretty much ran the show this past year and we see how that turned out and if you don't believe that, then you must not have watched too many games. I could tell that from the livestream 600 miles away. If the program wants to be successful for the long term, then it is time to bring in a new HC that hasn't been an HC before. If there is someone in the district that can have a chance at it, that hasn't been the head coach before, then use them. If not, then go find someone outside the school. One that is going to care about the players not just in the gym. How one coach looks to the public eye is not what that coach is like behind closed doors. As a person that moved away from Southern, Ohio many years ago, but has strong ties at Webster and the surrounding area, let someone new come in and see where the program goes. Today's players are not going to respond with yesterday's coaching styles. The sideline needs energy and someone that is going to be moving constantly and engaged with their team. The more hype the coach brings, the more the players get hyped.

Yep congrats on a great JV season to those boys. Same group of boys have been one of the most successful teams to come through South Webster since 3rd grade. No shock to anyone they won that many games. I as well will trust the administrators to make a decision that is best for the boys.
Last edited by seosportsfanalumni on Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

hahahaha man ive seen it all i log on preps and see some guy saying he wants a coach w no experience cuz his nephew had more fun in junior high hahahahaha man that's a good one. I hope u can fly back to ohio soon so you can hug you nephew and hopefully they find a coach to hug the kids all practice instead of work on actual skill webster will def love that

seosportsfanalumni
Waterboy

burgpirater wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:05 am hahahaha man ive seen it all i log on preps and see some guy saying he wants a coach w no experience cuz his nephew had more fun in junior high hahahahaha man that's a good one. I hope u can fly back to ohio soon so you can hug you nephew and hopefully they find a coach to hug the kids all practice instead of work on actual skill webster will def love that
Never said anything about more fun. Just saying a coach that was more respectful toward kids. Don’t need a coach to hug players. They need a coach that will care about the kids, communicates with the kids and has a structure and a major discipline change.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

And a new coach that hasn't been a HC before will be able to do this year one? Or were you trying to say a HC that hasn't been a HC at south webster before?

seosportsfanalumni
Waterboy

transplant wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:17 am And a new coach that hasn't been a HC before will be able to do this year one? Or were you trying to say a HC that hasn't been a HC at south webster before?
A coach that hasn’t been the head boys coach at Webster.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Gotcha, after re-reading, I figured that's what you meant.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Looking for that greener grass again only to find out it probably won’t be.
Still trying to figure out why we wanted Cole to go? Has he had a losing season? Did he verbally, mentally or physically harm a player? Is this an X’s and O’s thing?

He’s had winning seasons with sub level players. Pretty sure he hasn’t harmed anyone. X’s and O’s might be an argument but that is going to be a point of concern no matter who we bring in. That’s just opinions.
Member of the community, active in the youth programs, law abiding citizen, understands the culture between the school and community.
Looking for? Career coach trying to get to the next phase in their career. Coach looking to pad their stats no matter how it’s done.
I just hope he left because he wanted to step down and not forced to or he was fired.
The drama that he inherited has been nothing like I’ve ever seen. As soon as one diva is gone and another shows up. That diva is gone and then another shows up. That’s not a coaching responsibility that is a parent’s responsibility to recognize and handle at home.
Anyways. Congratulations Brenton Cole on the next phase and thanks for your involvement and commitment to the team, school and community.

If you want the right to complain you must be doing one of two things:
1. Doing your best to make yourself better
2. Doing something to make the world better

If you are not doing one of these things then shut your mouth!

Return to “Boys Basketball”