Waterboy

South Webster - Head Coach

Post by shlfan »

Any news?

Gray Cat
Varsity

Re: South Webster - Head Coach

Post by Gray Cat »

shlfan wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:52 pmAny news?
Someone mentioned “daddy ball” on another thread.

140 Highway
Waterboy

Post by 140 Highway »

Gray Cat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:57 pm
shlfan wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:52 pmAny news?
Someone mentioned “daddy ball” on another thread.
Which thread?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Did hear the job is now open.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:18 pm Did hear the job is now open.
Not surprising given who the player was and the position his dad holds that this spot is open. Can change the coach all you want but until the player is ready to change nothing will fix the issues.
Last edited by Tigernation2021 on Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

theyoungprodigy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:28 am 🚨COLE IS OUT AT SOUTH WEBSTER HE KNEW HE WAS GONNA GET FIRED SO HE RESIGNS he needed to be fired so great job resigning.My pick for the job is dirk holler he wanted that job at burg but maybe he can resume his head coaching Career at sw my next is the young scarberry if ur looking for a long term coach and my last is Adam cocks or Doug Willam’s with all there drama at there schools they are gonna hire someone eli will play for and the players will enjoy I would say norm I just don’t think he’s healthy enough to coach.And the long shot one will be Anthony sheets assistant coach at sw great person everyone loves him roberts will play for him has great bonds with everyone.
I can't tell if this guy is serious or trolling, I sure hope its the latter. Lol

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

Storming Norm !

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

The head coach usually gets too much credit when things going good, and too much blame when things are bad, and I feel like the latter is what's going on right now. Hate it for Cole as I felt like expectations have been out of whack at SW for a few years now. Webster has not won a D4 District Championship since 2013. It's not the same job it was 10-15 years ago.

As for replacements, Fenton should be the first choice if they're going in-house as he did a solid job before as head coach and the kids respect him. If Webster looking outside, Norm Persin wants the job and would be the obvious choice. But real question to ask is can the players (and their parents) handle his old-school coaching style? I have my doubts.

As for others mentioned, Hollar has some connections to Kreischer, but would be very surprised if he left Burg even though he an assistant there. As for Williams, Waverly should be begging him to take their open job.*

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I’ve logged in just to comment on this. It’s about time.
South Webster should be a top tier D4 team for the next 8 years or so. My short list is Fenton, C Scott, Homie Chadwell, Swanker Pine, i92 and MARC KREISCHER OUTTA NOWHERE.

I don’t think Norm is interested in coaching anymore, however he attended almost all of Webster’s games this season. Who knows.

As for expectations. Webster has had the horses. To do better than they have, not necessarily win a district title, but at least not get embarrassed on a regular basis

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Doesn't Norm coach his grandsons travel team? Or did i hear that wrong? Hollar has a boy going into 7th grade at burg next year, his wife teaches there, i think he is content staying at burg, but i have been wrong before. My guess is they go back to Fenton.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Need a coach not afraid to break a whiteboard over a kids nose and show some signs of life on the sidelines

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

a coach not being liked is a good thing name one successful coach who kissed everyones butts and everyone liked them.

With that being said sounds like this Norms job to lose and you know he dont care who does or dont like him. lots of young talent there just got to have right pieces together and hearing lots of rumors bout transfers coming in too so who knows

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

This is why you don't see a lot of young coaches these days. A lot of the older coaches get the "good" jobs so they don't have to develop the kids and the younger coaches are left with terrible jobs with nothing coming up and then their coaching record is not very good which causes them not to get the "good" jobs. As soon as a board member or hiring committee sees a certain name they jump at it and boom as soon as the talent leaves they are off to the next job.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Hoopster98 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:41 pm This is why you don't see a lot of young coaches these days. A lot of the older coaches get the "good" jobs so they don't have to develop the kids and the younger coaches are left with terrible jobs with nothing coming up and then their coaching record is not very good which causes them not to get the "good" jobs. As soon as a board member or hiring committee sees a certain name they jump at it and boom as soon as the talent leaves they are off to the next job.
This may sound good in your head but it lacks evidence particularly when it comes to SOC 2 jobs.

Valley - Extremely young coach, which was his first HC job.

Minford - Shoemaker, only had one HC job prior at Portsmouth but came to his home town when it opened up.

West - Very young, his first HC job.

Eastern Pike - VERY young, his first HC job.

Oak Hill - McKinnis isn't what I'd call "old," his first mens HC job I believe.

Wheelersburg - Prater is young, his first HC job.

Northwest - Scarberry has coached a long time yes but his son is young and has a big part in the program.

Waverly - had an extremely young HC which was his 1st year as Mens HC and stepped down on his own.

Cole was at SW for 4-5 years and it was his first HC job as well.

So when it comes to the SOC 2, no, I don't agree with what you are saying. The SOC2 has been notorious for hiring younger coaches and giving them their 1st HC opportunity.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

You missed what I was saying. I was stating that if you have a younger coach apply and an older coach such as norm, howie, or barrick then more than likely they are going to go with the older coach. Some of the older coaches only stay there for the talent and once the talent leaves then boom they are gone. Barrick was hired over Doug Williams at Eastern. I'm sure if it came down to Norm or Prater then Burg would of chose Norm. That's just how it is. Yes those coaches are young that you mentioned but I wonder who they went up against for the job? Was it a Norm, Howie, or Barrick age/experienced type of a coach or was it young vs young. That's what my statement was about.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I guess I don't see the issue when guys with 500+ or heck even 700+ wins apply for a job and get it. I feel like they've paid their due and earned their opportunity to look elsewhere. There's very few coaches out there with that type of resume and I'd imagine they're always going to be frontrunners for jobs because of what they've accomplished. Most people/schools want a proven winner.

In this instance, if Norm actually is interested, it makes sense in a lot of ways. His family is in SW. His grandkids go to school there. He coaches his grandson in AAU who is coming up through the school system now. Many families in SW know and respect Norm. Would it be perfect? Not saying that. But Norm to SW makes a ton of sense logistically.

From everything I've gathered South Webster fans are hungry for success. They got a little spoiled with the State teams and have (in my opinion) held unrealistic expectations for quite awhile. Every coach mentioned will have people that don't like them or families that don't want that particular person to get the job. That's ok, that comes with the coaching business. But like with any sport at any level ----- winning tends to heal most problems.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

If I’m not mistaken the Persins did sell their house in oak hill?

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

But when they only stay for 3 years then dump off the job to a younger coach that has 4 years of down years and then get fired because they were not developed by the previous coach. Don't get me wrong I'd take Norm, Barrick, or Howie over any young coach but I was just stating that's why you don't see a lot of young coaches with good jobs because they are forced to go against coaches that are in the late 60's that are chasing talent.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

Hoopster98 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:55 pm But when they only stay for 3 years then dump off the job to a younger coach that has 4 years of down years and then get fired because they were not developed by the previous coach. Don't get me wrong I'd take Norm, Barrick, or Howie over any young coach but I was just stating that's why you don't see a lot of young coaches with good jobs because they are forced to go against coaches that are in the late 60's that are chasing talent.
agree with this 100%. i dont know if i would take an old veteran coach at this point knowing that they wouldnt stay very long.

sosfanswbb
Waterboy

Post by sosfanswbb »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:42 pm If I’m not mistaken the Persins did sell their house in oak hill?
Norm hasn't lived in Oak Hill for quite some time. He is a resident of Gallia County last thing I knew.

Return to “Boys Basketball”