Portsmouth Head Coach Gene Collins stepping down

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Portsmouth Head Coach Gene Collins stepping down

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Re: Portsmouth Head Coach Gene Collins stepping down

Post by danicalifornia »

Congratulations to Coach Collins on a great run!

Based on everything I’ve heard, I hope he stays very active within the school and community with all of the great things he has done for the youth in the area.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:56 pm Congratulations to Coach Collins on a great run!

Based on everything I’ve heard, I hope he stays very active within the school and community with all of the great things he has done for the youth in the area.

He has said he wants to continue to be around the kids if the school will leave him on ,I'm positive they will.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:17 pm
...just look at what Coach C accomplished in his 14 years !!! outstanding ... nothing else need said other than "Thank You Coach Collins" - it's been a pleasure to follow your run at Portsmouth ... motivator, coach, teacher of the game & life ... you're a special person - I hope the powers that be find a spot for you to continue to impact the youth of the Portsmouth area ... thank you Coach Collins -pfloyd

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Solid run by Gene Collins in his 14 years. Portsmouth is not the same school it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

Congrats to Coach Collins on an outstanding coaching career!!!!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats Coach Collins on a very successful 14 years at PHS.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

One of my favorites to watch do his thing on the sideline. He was a tremendous choice for the kids of Portsmouth. I wish him well.

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

Coach Collins took over Portsmouth when they were struggling mightily. He completely changed the program into a perennial state contender for several years. Coach is a great person and I hope Portsmouth diligently searches for a viable replacement.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Congrats on a long and storied career. It isn't easy navigating in today's world of entitlement. The wealth and success of a coach isn't realized in the w and l column. It is the totality of one's work: on court/field, off court/field, doing it the right way (integrity) and the development of young men/women to become great at whatever they choose. The voices in the community haave spoken clearly and loudly. Coach Collins selflessly served the Trojan community with respect, dignity, and above all, integrity.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Congratulations Coach Collins on a great run. We enjoyed competing with your squads thru the years. Jewel will have some honey do things for you to do,but; I know you will lend your abilities to your community. Enjoy !!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

As well as being the 2nd winningest coach in PHS history, Coach Collins has always been a great ambassador for the Portsmouth City Schools and the Portsmouth community in general. What he did for his kids behind the scenes goes unknown to many, but he went well beyond the call of duty in attending to their needs. With the current basketball culture at PHS, I think it's safe to say that no future coach will ever last 14 years and win 201 games along the way.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

We talk about wins and losses but he done so much for the kids and the team. I was told he raised the money for them to go to Florida, visit Disney among other things. Provides food and feeds the team. I’m not sure there’s many coaches out there that will do all of that.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Any early names being thrown around or will the Trojans stay in house and promote up off the staff

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Congrats to Coach Collins.They need to go outside, no one currently qualified to lead the Trojans on staff in my eyes. What about Coach Hughes, Mike or Amy, look at there results. Starts with the youth leagues and builds up thru system.Theyre the best, gets kids motivated, plays hard, fun to play the game, coached the right way. Knows X and Os, Expects the best out of players. Only takes 5-7 players to dedicate to basketball. Great run Coach Collins! TrojanDave you mentioned the current culture, how do you change the current culture! Build back from bottom up is what its going to take.You Trojans are one of top names in State in Basketball . Look at the girls, they have done it with low numbers, so it can be done with work!

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

The Hughes' have too many family members playing on the girls side to leave. On the boys side, the next "talent group" is currently in 6th grade, but there was only 7-8 on the team and one player is a girl, and she can play too. If i'm Portsmouth I try as hard as I can to get Lisath to come home. If he says no, start looking. I'm not familiar with the current staff to know if anyone is interested in taking over. Would Corey Allison be an option if Lisath says no? New coach will have to build up the youth program and develop more players at the younger levels. What does Portsmouth youth league look like? Do they have multiple teams? Or just one team?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Jeff Lisath's name is gaining a lot of momentum. He would be a home run hire in my estimation. Being a State Champion Trojan is something he can relate to his players which in turn gives instant credibility as to what he expects to build Portsmouth's program back up. As a coach, he has won everywhere he's been, at Unioto, Piketon, or Dayton Northridge.

His hiring would also create a lot of buzz around the Portsmouth community. More fans in the seats, more money coming in, and a rise in the competition level on the court. Participation numbers very likely to go up, and maybe those who left will come back given his name recognition. The spirit has been lost at PHS basketball games and it needs a recharge. Trojan Arena is not a home court advantage for PHS. Lisath could turn that around.

Portsmouth was very competitive this year despite a 9-14 final record, but quite a bit of talent is coming back. The cupboard is not bare for Jeff or whoever the next coach is.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Collins was a really good coach.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

He would be a home run hire anywhere! Whoever the new coach is will have to build up the program, starting at the lower levels. But, I agree, if Lisath comes home, there will be a lot of buzz around Portsmouth community. I feel he would do great things in the community as well, just like Collins, not just win ball games.

TrojanAlum
Waterboy

Post by TrojanAlum »

Hasn’t Lisath coached at Portsmouth before? In the late 80’s?

Return to “Boys Basketball”