Fan Behavior At Games…Action Needs Taken

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Re: Fan Behavior At Games…Action Needs Taken

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

D1,
Make light of it. We are tired of how we are treated.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I officiated in the Old Bannon Park Classic in Portsmouth (not the new Bannon Park Classic), without pay, and what most officials have to deal with today is a country club compared to what I went through. You're talking about one of the few white people in a overwhelmingly black environment against mostly inner city teams from Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati. The competition was intense, but the fandom was even more so, especially for the Portsmouth teams. Even though there was no prize money at that time, those teams went all out to win. There were times that I was concerned about my own personal safety.

I also have officiated in other venues, and I know from my perspective it's not easy. Calls are going to be missed, and fans will get upset......but there is no excuse for threatening an official in a physical or verbal way. To go that far is ridiculous. For a fan to get upset over a call, especially at the end of a game when that call could decide the outcome, that is understandable. That still doesn't justify any sort of retaliation toward the officials.

Any fan who in any form threatens an official should be subject to banishment for a specified length of time.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:46 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:31 am
transplant wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:48 am I think everyone is in agreement that fans get carried away. Sure, some complaining about calls is going to happen every game. The refs are human and they make mistakes too. The problem is when they take it too far and cross the line. Following the refs to their area is unacceptable at any level. There needs to be something in place for this type of behavior. A fine or suspension maybe? If this continues to happen, someone will get hurt.
The official probably should of reported to the AD immediately after it happened, and then not post it on social media. The burg incident was posted on social media. That's not necessary. If you have a problem with someone, get in touch with them.
The official took it to the AD immediately. He did exactly what he should have done and the school reacted immediately. It was taken to social media by someone that thrives on attention and clicks. So do not jump to a conclusion about the official. That young man didn't do a darn thing wrong.
I don't know what happened other than what was said on here. I didn't mean to imply in my post that the official posted something on social media. Although, I can see how I wrote it would make it sound like it. I did see the post on social media. Without knowing all the facts, it's easy to assume that the educator was out of line from that one post. Maybe that person said everything the post said that they did, I don't know, but I think if you have a problem, go to the source.

*D1*
Freshman Team

Post by *D1* »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:57 am D1,
Make light of it. We are tired of how we are treated.
Just giving my opinion dog. Best way to stop the hate in response to bad calls is stop making bad calls. Short of that I recommend the following: Stop laughing at the spectators. Stop responding, “I’ll never call it now…” Stop going into games looking for someone to throw out. Stop grinning and shaking your head “no” when a call is questioned. I could go on but many officials bring the wrath upon themselves. Yes the extremes you mention are never acceptable. But I contend that a lot of the aggressive behavior is stoked by arrogance displayed by the officials in many cases.

I know, I was D1 fellas
clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

D1,
DOG? I can't respond what I want to because of the penalties that I would face. You keep on showing up and watching all of those bad calls. Officials laughing at spectators, the last thing officials want to have to do is remove spectators--if the admin. would do their job we wouldn't be facing these issues. We bring the wrath upon ourselves-yes, that's what we are trying to accomplish. Thank you for your support---come on down and help us out--classes are offered every year and we need some great officials like you to help us.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I said it in another post but the following things need to happen to get a little more control of the situation:

1. Administrators need to control their crowd. Not just stand in a corner of the gym or hallway. When someone is acting out have a conversation with them. Probably be a little uncomfortable I am sure but it's the job.
2. Law enforcement issue tickets for disorderly conduct
3. Suspend bad behavior for 2 or more games
4. Suspend bad behavior for the remainder of the year or longer.

It is not the officials job to police the crowd. It is not the crowds responsibility to police the crowd. In vermont a 60 year old man was killed in a fight at a basketball game. Control what we can control and everyone respect everyone and the games will go smooth, however once that balls goes in the air it seems to change.

*D1*
Freshman Team

Post by *D1* »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:25 pm D1,
DOG? I can't respond what I want to because of the penalties that I would face. You keep on showing up and watching all of those bad calls. Officials laughing at spectators, the last thing officials want to have to do is remove spectators--if the admin. would do their job we wouldn't be facing these issues. We bring the wrath upon ourselves-yes, that's what we are trying to accomplish. Thank you for your support---come on down and help us out--classes are offered every year and we need some great officials like you to help us.
Dog = Dawg Pound = Cleveland Browns. No?

Hey I wouldn’t expect an official to take any responsibility here, or anywhere for that matter. Everyone knows officials are never wrong. However, I can honestly say everything I mentioned are actions I’ve personally witnessed. Additionally, I always appreciate when a discussion like this takes place that at some point a wise asszed know it all official is going to throw out the go to, “classes are offered every year…” Its a classic and always expected. FYI I did officiate previously and got out of it because of officials acting the way I mentioned and many like you who are all knowing and never wrong. So as for the class, I’ll give the same response you would if someone said to you, hey how about you trying to get better, no thanks.

I know, I was D1 fellas
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:38 pm I said it in another post but the following things need to happen to get a little more control of the situation:

1. Administrators need to control their crowd. Not just stand in a corner of the gym or hallway. When someone is acting out have a conversation with them. Probably be a little uncomfortable I am sure but it's the job.

It is not the officials job to police the crowd. It is not the crowds responsibility to police the crowd. In vermont a 60 year old man was killed in a fight at a basketball game. Control what we can control and everyone respect everyone and the games will go smooth, however once that balls goes in the air it seems to change.
I think something that the officials could do, not sure how to implement it, is just to temporarily suspend the game. Maybe send both teams to the locker room, officials have pa announcer address the crowd, and walk off the court. Maybe one 5 min per half. After 3rd offense, game suspended for the night.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Then you’re punishing the kids on the court for what’s happening in the stands.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

maybe the schools should provide a "rules 101" class for parents as a requirement for the athlete to be able to play that season. so much of the misbehavior comes from simple ignorance of the game.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

The fans would be punishing the kids, not the officials or administration.

The out of control, belligerent fans never realize that they serve no function in the event of a basketball game. You need players, coaches, officials, a clock keeper and a book keeper to make the game happen. You do not need the fans, but yet they (the idiot fans) believe that they are an important part of the game and will somehow change an official's call or coaches' decision.

DJT47
Riding the Bench

Post by DJT47 »

I like all the obese refs who can barely get up and down the floor.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

D1,
Hey Cat, your talking about officials that I don’t know. The officials I know and work with aren’t perfect nor do they claim to be.I can tell you this, I love officiating and put up with no crap from coaches, players and spectators!! I can also say that I am respected by many I work for. I’m just doing a thankless job that evidently you couldn’t handle. Thanks for your support!

*D1*
Freshman Team

Post by *D1* »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:00 pm D1,
Hey Cat, your talking about officials that I don’t know. The officials I know and work with aren’t perfect nor do they claim to be.I can tell you this, I love officiating and put up with no crap from coaches, players and spectators!! I can also say that I am respected by many I work for. I’m just doing a thankless job that evidently you couldn’t handle. Thanks for your support!
Dog, with all the crying and boo hooing you do on here it seems you can’t handle it LOL. Every year you tell us how great you are and about the insurmountable effort it takes to be an official and how agonizing it is. If it’s so bad go do something else instead of crying and complaining on here every season. Of course you’re never wrong so I’m sure you’ll figure it out. I’ve never seen anyone with a higher opinion of themselves than you so I’ll give you that. Now go give yourself a pat on the back for telling us how great you are. Keep up the good work dog and I’ll await your complaining, crying and boo hooing posts next season. 😬

I know, I was D1 fellas
RadioLady
Riding the Bench

Post by RadioLady »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:00 pm D1,

That may be your own self reflection. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back some more. However, I have seen you cower to the stomp and stare from a certain legendary coach. He owns you and you are to skeert to do anything about it. I bet you keep extra depends in your travel bag so you can change at halftime when you have HIS games.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

greyghost
Waterboy

Post by greyghost »

*D1* wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:46 pm
Dog = Dawg Pound = Cleveland Browns. No?

Hey I wouldn’t expect an official to take any responsibility here, or anywhere for that matter. Everyone knows officials are never wrong. However, I can honestly say everything I mentioned are actions I’ve personally witnessed. Additionally, I always appreciate when a discussion like this takes place that at some point a wise asszed know it all official is going to throw out the go to, “classes are offered every year…” Its a classic and always expected. FYI I did officiate previously and got out of it because of officials acting the way I mentioned and many like you who are all knowing and never wrong. So as for the class, I’ll give the same response you would if someone said to you, hey how about you trying to get better, no thanks.
It never fails that every year an official gets on here and makes a post like this. It never changes a thing. Nothing gets better and in fact I would contend that things have gotten worse based on the comments. So to you officials who make these posts you’re wasting your time. Instead of making posts bashing spectators, law enforcement and school employees, just tell how hard you work and how hard it is to be an official and leave it at that. Now that’s not much of a recruiting strategy, but it has to be your real motive for posting because you have to see like I do that your rants are having zero effect on the problem you complain about year after year after year…

Longtimer
Waterboy

Post by Longtimer »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:38 pm I said it in another post but the following things need to happen to get a little more control of the situation:

I LOVE this comment. If number 1 is done ----- a LOT of things will calm down.
Also ---- another person stated and I have seen it way too many times ....... officials need to STOP !!!
STOP looking to throw someone out
STOP laughing and shaking your head because you don`t like what the comment was
STOP looking into crowd to try to find who is yelling
STOP commenting back to fans
STOP visiting with one teams coach for EVER before a game and only casually speak to the other
STOP trying to explain rules that you obviously do NOT understand yourself
STOP ball watching. 3 sets of eyes on th eball means that a LOT is going on that NOBODY sees and then get upset because people yell
STOP thinking that you are bigger than the game

If OFFICIALS and FANS had some accountability for their actions there would be a LOT less of this garbage.

OFFICIALS ----- GET BETTER INSTEAD OF THINKING YOU ARE THE BEST
FANS ----------- ACT BETTER AS THERE ARE A LOT MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE THAN AN INADEQUATE OFFICIAL IN THE MIDST OF A SHORTAGE OF SUCH
SCHOOLS ------ PLEASE ASK YOUR ON SITE MANAGEMENT TO CONTROL THE CROWD BEHAVIOR

PLAYERS AND COACHES SEEM TO BE SHOWING MORE RESPECT FOR THE GAME THIS SEASON THAN ANYONE ELSE IS.

ACCOUNTABILITY AND RESPECT

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

The softness of today's society is sickening. Refs have been heckled and harassed for years by fans. As a matter of fact, I think it was worse years ago. Students fist fighting before and after ball games. Now i hear you have a fist fight outside a gym swat is called and gyms locked down. roflmao. The parents aren't any rowdier than years ago It's all this woke bull poop softness and people are conditioned to it. I still say half the refs would do it for free cause they love being out there in spotlight. They eat it up!!!!!

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

If I'm not mistaken, Jackson has implemented a 2 game suspension for any spectator who is ejected. If more schools followed that example and held fans and parents accountable, that would be awesome.

Return to “Boys Basketball”