Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason 22-23

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason 22-23

Post by pfloyd »

Federal Hocking will have a couple of the best young guards in the TVC in Tariq Cottrill and Andrew Airhart both of them can light up the scoreboard from behind the arc ... both play aggressive D on the perimeter as well - the transition game is in play big for FH this year ... Not sure of the size FH returns from last years JV squad ... but when you have a perimeter game anchored by Cottrill & Airhart with backup from Caden Chapman - it will be a good season for Coach Thompson's Lancers once again ...

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:20 pm Federal Hocking will have a couple of the best young guards in the TVC in Tariq Cottrill and Andrew Airhart both of them can light up the scoreboard from behind the arc ... both play aggressive D on the perimeter as well - the transition game is in play big for FH this year ... Not sure of the size FH returns from last years JV squad ... but when you have a perimeter game anchored by Cottrill & Airhart with backup from Caden Chapman - it will be a good season for Coach Thompson's Lancers once again ...
Thanks, I agree excellent guard play just wasn't sure if Federal Hocking was missing enough size to be down a notch. Do you concur with JCBigBlue13's assessment of Marietta as improved with "expectations". You seem to have them way down the list right next to Athens.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Marietta will improve on their 5-14 record from last season ... tough team to gauge due to their schedule where they play some tough programs in New Philly, Dover, other East District powers along with Warren ... the Tigers return 6 of the first 7 players including starters Elijah-Lieras Kelley - quick PG, gets good penetration, AJ Graham, Isaac Koast and 6-6 Alex Kendall ... with Aiden Harris off the bench from last season ... tried to find the Tiger schedule - nothing on ArbiterLive ... others returning from last seasons team include Jayden Evans and Braden Schau neither played in the game last year vs Warren that I attended @ Warren - a Warrior 57-37 W ... I'll see the Tigers early at Warren's Tip Off Classic the Clash at the Coliseum vs a varsity inexperienced/undersized Trimble team ...

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:27 pm Marietta will improve on their 5-14 record from last season ... tough team to gauge due to their schedule where they play some tough programs in New Philly, Dover, other East District powers along with Warren ... the Tigers return 6 of the first 7 players including starters Elijah-Lieras Kelley - quick PG, gets good penetration, AJ Graham, Isaac Koast and 6-6 Alex Kendall ... with Aiden Harris off the bench from last season ... tried to find the Tiger schedule - nothing on ArbiterLive ... others returning from last seasons team include Jayden Evans and Braden Schau neither played in the game last year vs Warren that I attended @ Warren - a Warrior 57-37 W ... I'll see the Tigers early at Warren's Tip Off Classic the Clash at the Coliseum vs a varsity inexperienced/undersized Trimble team ...
Marietta's High School website has their schedule is which varies only slightly with MaxPreps.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Pioneer77 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:47 am
pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:27 pm Marietta will improve on their 5-14 record from last season ... tough team to gauge due to their schedule where they play some tough programs in New Philly, Dover, other East District powers along with Warren ... the Tigers return 6 of the first 7 players including starters Elijah-Lieras Kelley - quick PG, gets good penetration, AJ Graham, Isaac Koast and 6-6 Alex Kendall ... with Aiden Harris off the bench from last season ... tried to find the Tiger schedule - nothing on ArbiterLive ... others returning from last seasons team include Jayden Evans and Braden Schau neither played in the game last year vs Warren that I attended @ Warren - a Warrior 57-37 W ... I'll see the Tigers early at Warren's Tip Off Classic the Clash at the Coliseum vs a varsity inexperienced/undersized Trimble team ...
Marietta's High School website has their schedule is which varies only slightly with MaxPreps.
... just looked at the Marietta schedule on MaxPreps - much easier schedule from last season - missing are the games up Rt 77 New Philly, Dover, St Clairesville etc. the Tigers WILL be better than last season however with the returnees from last season ...

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

22-23 South Webster Jeeps Basketball Schedule
12/2 Green @ SW
12/6 West @ SW
12/9 SW @ Burg
12/10 Jackson @ SW
12/13 SW @ Valley
12/16 Waverly @ SW
12/17 Chesapeake @ SW
12/20 Minford @ SW
12/23 SW @ Northwest
12/30 SW @ Clay
1/6 Eastern Pike @ SW (Homecoming)
1/10 SW @ Oak Hill
1/13 SW @ West
1/14 SW @ Notre Dame
1/17 Burg @ SW
1/20 Valley @ SW
1/24 SW @ Waverly
1/27 SW @ Minford
1/28 East @ SW
1/31 Northwest @ SW
2/7 SW @ Eastern Pike
2/10 Oak Hill @ SW

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You have Athens way to low, Floyd.
They actually have some pieces and experience.
I'll leave it at that and let the Dogs do the talking when the time comes. :mrgreen:

Zone6_11Warriors
Waterboy

Post by Zone6_11Warriors »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:09 pm
Zone6_11Warriors wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:43 pm
Pinwheel wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:50 pm

So St. Joe got transfers ,and new Boston got recruits ? 😂
That is funny. ISJ openly put on their FB page come if you come to St. Joe, you can still play sports even with transferring. With high school coaches being able to coach AAU, it opens up for "transfer/recruits".
What was posted on their FB was about the Ohio Edchoice program. If an area public school failed to meet the standards set forth by the state then students there could transfer to a private school. Under some conditions they could receive financial assistance also. ISJ would have been crazy not to take advantage of that program. I don’t if the new players fall under that program or not. ISJ is currently enjoying one of their best soccer seasons ever. Amazing doing that with 50 students 9-12
Trust me, I am aware of the Ed Choice program. You do not have to put " YOU WILL BE ELIGIBLE TO PLAY SPORTS WITHOUT SITTING OUT". Another catholic school does the Ed Choice and it's helped their enrollment tremendously but they put nothing about sports on there.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:32 pm You have Athens way to low, Floyd.
I'll leave it at that and let the Dogs do the talking when the time comes. :mrgreen:
Athens better than .500 this season? Tell us who are the key pieces.

bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:32 pm You have Athens way to low, Floyd.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Washington Court House should have the opportunity to improve on their 12-7 record from a year ago ... lots of returning varsity experience - Tanner LeMaster (6-6) will anchor the post ... Isaiah Haithcock jr (6-4)... Raliegh Haithcock (6-1) sr ... Micah Brown (6-2) saw the floor for the varsity some last season ... the anchor on the perimeter will be sharpshooting junior John Wall (5-11) ... word from an earlier post had a transfer - Michael Bearden from Maidson Plains will be a nice addition to the WCH roster this season - senior, 6-2 size with experience equals good pickup... any Upthgrove's on this years team? ... I've got the Blue Lions at #9 to start the season - they could be higher sooner than later ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:34 pm Washington Court House should have the opportunity to improve on their 12-7 record from a year ago ... lots of returning varsity experience - Tanner LeMaster (6-6) will anchor the post ... Isaiah Haithcock jr (6-4)... Raliegh Haithcock (6-1) sr ... Micah Brown (6-2) saw the floor for the varsity some last season ... the anchor on the perimeter will be sharpshooting junior John Wall (5-11) ... word from an earlier post had a transfer - Michael Bearden from Maidson Plains will be a nice addition to the WCH roster this season - senior, 6-2 size with experience equals good pickup... any Upthgrove's on this years team? ... I've got the Blue Lions at #9 to start the season - they could be higher sooner than later ...
Yeah sounds like they might be a top 5 team if Bearden is as good as advertised….WCH has had some stud move ins for basketball

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:07 pm
pfloyd wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:34 pm Washington Court House should have the opportunity to improve on their 12-7 record from a year ago ... lots of returning varsity experience - Tanner LeMaster (6-6) will anchor the post ... Isaiah Haithcock jr (6-4)... Raliegh Haithcock (6-1) sr ... Micah Brown (6-2) saw the floor for the varsity some last season ... the anchor on the perimeter will be sharpshooting junior John Wall (5-11) ... word from an earlier post had a transfer - Michael Bearden from Maidson Plains will be a nice addition to the WCH roster this season - senior, 6-2 size with experience equals good pickup... any Upthgrove's on this years team? ... I've got the Blue Lions at #9 to start the season - they could be higher sooner than later ...
Yeah sounds like they might be a top 5 team if Bearden is as good as advertised….WCH has had some stud move ins for basketball
... enter Reico Colter for the 2021-22 season last year, dropped a cool 40 points in the opening game vs Warren at the ZT TipOff Classic LOL ... congratulations I92 on your XC team !!! well done AGAIN !!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:09 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:07 pm
... enter Reico Colter for the 2021-22 season last year, dropped a cool 40 points in the opening game vs Warren at the ZT TipOff Classic LOL ... congratulations I92 on your XC team !!! well done AGAIN !!!
Thank You sir

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Took the Pfloyd Westy out to the high school here in Logan this morning to watch a little of the scrimmage between Logan and Vinton County. Was good to hear the sounds of the game once again! ... I never put much into the preseason contests, sorta like watching previews, especially THIS EARLY in the practice part of the season - only a week under their belts both teams were just looking at getting players some varsity game time, look at lots of combinations ... sitting in the cheap seats , I just look at the obvious - size, length, athletic ability of players, perimeter shooters, who can get to the rim, footwork of the bigs inside, quickness ... a BIG key in hoops is is there a floor leader - that PG who controls the flow of the offense, sets up the offense ...

... today ...

Vinton County has perimeter scorers, play a physical game at both ends ... have some size in the paint but didn't get much going inside vs a taller across the board Logan squad ... still looking for a playmaker, I didn't see a standout PG/leader on the floor (yet) ... lots of ball movement around the perimeter, the penetration they got didn't get much at the rim - again , Logan has size inside that made success at the rim difficult ... vs TVC size where teams won't have 3 or 4 BIGS around/over 6-5 VC will be fine imo ...

Logan has size, some of that 6-7, 6-5, 6-6 ish size up front ... Logan has length at every position ... as expected not much offensive flow yet... again just a lot of players getting used to playing with players in a game situation ... Cayden Alford , one of the few players with varsity experience for LHS, looked more aggressive around the rim, looking to score the ball more this season ... Simon Pierce at 6-7 or 6-8ish will play above the rim this season especially in the open court in the transition game - going to have some epic throw downs this season for S Pierce ... Logan has athletic size with a number of 6-4ish players - just not with varsity experience ... freshmen Owen Bell, 6-1 got minutes today - he will get more and more as the season progresses... the glaring missing component is leadership on the court from the PG position ... Max Black, the 2nd player from last years team with varsity experience is sidelined until probably after Christmas from a soccer related knee injury ... he IS that guy - the playmaker, the guy who makes the offense flow, getting the ball in the hands of players in locations on the floor where they are the most effective ... right now the Chiefs are looking for another guy that can handle the ball - VC didn't pressure Logan through the 4 ten minute periods I watched - I didn't see players who could handle "REAL" pressure ... IT'S REALLY EARLY!!! lol ... both teams will improve, today was just a "welcome to varsity basketball" day for most of the players on the court ... video breakdown will give coaching staffs lots of "teaching material" ...

... I wish Coach NJ Kight the best as the HEAD man at VC this season ...

... 18 days until the season tips off !!! ... both teams will show much improvement from now until the 23rd as they work to find out WHO they are- players finding out what roles they need to play for TEAM ...

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Pfloyd got to get out to see the Peake scrimmage Portsmouth Clay this morning. Couldn't stay for the whole time. Portsmouth Clay was just outmatched vs the Peake. Speed and defense lead to alot of easy baskets. Will have 2 seniors and 5 juniors the rest sophomores and freshmen. The freshmen were the ovc Champs last year and most are playing. Will miss the big man Carson who is now 6 5 and sure dad loves that at Bloom Carroll.
Returnees are Dannie Maynard, J D Daniel's, Austin Henderson, Caleb Cox and Braxton Oldaker, all these players saw considerable laying time.
Ater will do a great job with these boys are all the new boys. I counted 19 players out so that is great for Ater and the Peake.
Will see you sometime this season.
My health is getting better but get tired easy but that will get their with time. The sepsis about did me in but head coach kept me around for a reason.

Hornetfan84
Riding the Bench

Post by Hornetfan84 »

peake71 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:40 pm Pfloyd got to get out to see the Peake scrimmage Portsmouth Clay this morning. Couldn't stay for the whole time. Portsmouth Clay was just outmatched vs the Peake. Speed and defense lead to alot of easy baskets. Will have 2 seniors and 5 juniors the rest sophomores and freshmen. The freshmen were the ovc Champs last year and most are playing. Will miss the big man Carson who is now 6 5 and sure dad loves that at Bloom Carroll.
Returnees are Dannie Maynard, J D Daniel's, Austin Henderson, Caleb Cox and Braxton Oldaker, all these players saw considerable laying time.
Ater will do a great job with these boys are all the new boys. I counted 19 players out so that is great for Ater and the Peake.
My health is getting better but get tired easy but that will get their with time. The sepsis about did me in but head coach kept me around for a reason.
Watched about half the Chesapeake games last year and that might be one of the scrappiest teams in SEO!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

peake71 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:40 pm Pfloyd got to get out to see the Peake scrimmage Portsmouth Clay this morning. Couldn't stay for the whole time. Portsmouth Clay was just outmatched vs the Peake. Speed and defense lead to alot of easy baskets. Will have 2 seniors and 5 juniors the rest sophomores and freshmen. The freshmen were the ovc Champs last year and most are playing. Will miss the big man Carson who is now 6 5 and sure dad loves that at Bloom Carroll.
... good to hear from you peake71 !!! guys like us - the Head Coach ALWAYS has something for us to do... he has to keep giving us more playing time! ... thanks for the early run down of your Panthers ... Coach Ater will do a great job, quickness, transition game, scrappy D - ALL are descriptors of the Peake ... I'm going to make it a point to go see Coach Davis and his BC Bulldogs this season! they take on Logan Elm/Fairfield Union/Circelville from Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ALONG with visiting my Purple & White Chieftains Feb.2nd as well ... I definitely want to see Davis "the younger" (Carson) as well !!! 6-5 freshman! definitely will become a player in the MSL in his career ! ... I've got my "napkin stat" books, a large package of Twizzlers a couple of new pencils - I'm ready!!! ... I haven't read anything about Chesapeake having the Beasts of the Southeast midseason tourney - missed it not being held last season ... so I'm guessing the Beasts is now history? ... I will definitely be making my way to the river however! some of the best teams in SEO are out of the SOC, OVC AGAIN this season - Minford, South Webster, Valley, Fairland, So Point, PHS,Gallia, your Panthers sound like they will give everyone fits, Ironton should be good, Western, New Boston has reloaded ... so the pfloyd Jeep will be on the river or close by anyway for some the Friday/Saturday matchups ... I'll stick closer to home on the weekdays - LE, FU, Sheridan, Alexander, Trimble (have to see Howie) ... have to work in the SVC teams - ZT, the U, PV ... Jackson and the other FAC teams too - Court House & Miami Trace should be outstanding! ... so many teams so little time and only one of me!!! LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Just about everyone will be getting into game mode with scrimmages this coming week :

Zane Trace

vs Circleville Wed
vs Lancaster Fri
vs South Point Sat

Fairfield Union

vs Miami Trace Sat

Minford

@ South Point Tues

Lucasville Valley

vs North Adams (Thu)

Logan Elm

vs Waverly (Wed)
@ Vinton County (Sat)

Miami Trace

@ Adena (Wed)
@ Fairfield Union (Sat)

Washington CH

vs Huntington (Wed)
@ Fayetteville (Sat)

... a look at the teams in the top end of the Elite 8 rankings ... this week's scrimmage action ...

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Why in the world is Chesapeake scrimmaging Portsmouth clay ??

Return to “Boys Basketball”