Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason 22-23

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason 22-23

Post by Pioneer77 »

I'm still trying to get a handle on Warren, Gallia Academy, Athens and Marietta. Anyone with the early info on prospects for them. Warren pretty young but people seem to think they'll be competitive anyway. Not sure about Gallia, and Athens and Marietta not strong last year but just asking if a better season should be expected for either of them?

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Where is 93bulldog when you need him!?

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:49 am Where is 93bulldog when you need him!?
... I believe 93dog is stuck in Football Post Season Land until all of the SEO teams are eliminated LOL ...

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Gallia academy basketball will be interesting 🤔

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Geronimo wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:35 am Gallia academy basketball will be interesting 🤔
Not sure what that means — I see them at about 13-9. How about you?

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

5 to 6 losts

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Geronimo wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:35 am Gallia academy basketball will be interesting 🤔
Kenyon Franklin (11), Brady Fellure (12), Isaac Clary (12) - this is a great nucleus of players - anytime you can have a BIG like Clary in the paint/wide body with outstanding footwork/strength - GA should be able to get inside ... the issue has been with Fellure and Franklin has been perimeter scoring ... The question is Does GA have perimeter shooters in the other 2 offensive slots? ... we'll see ... transfer from RV ? Lambert?? as reported on the OVC thread ... the Blue Devils get perimeter scoring - Fellure and Franklin can get to the rim with penetration but as in the last couple of years - "potential" is the work that keeps coming up ...

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Geronimo wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:34 pm 5 to 6 losts
So possibly 17-5. That would be a great season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

SOC 1 ... the New Boston Tigers look to improve on last season - potential is once again THE key word for Coach Cox's boys BUT there is a lot to be excited about in Tiger Land - a senior laden ballclub this season with SIZE ... it will all start with Myles Beasley (6-2), Mark Rivers (6-6), Jacob Cahall (Wellston) 6-5 ... Dalton Jackson (6-3) led NB in Rbs last season 12 rpg ... Ector Brady 6-3, Luke Henson (6-2) ... juniors Devin Allard (6-3) ... LaMarcus Parker sophomore, a lot will hinge on the PG position, 5-8 freshman Tyreke Lewis will be the man who has to make it all work on the hardwood for the Tigers/ East transfer Kellen Gray (6-0) will have a say on the court as well ... the committee of one will be watching this group in D4 early this season ...

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:23 pm SOC 1 ... the New Boston Tigers look to improve on last season - potential is once again THE key word for Coach Cox's boys BUT there is a lot to be excited about in Tiger Land - a senior laden ballclub this season with SIZE ... it will all start with Myles Beasley (6-2), Mark Rivers (6-6), Jacob Cahall (Wellston) 6-5 ... Dalton Jackson (6-3) led NB in Rbs last season 12 rpg ... Ector Brady 6-3, Luke Henson (6-2) ... juniors Devin Allard (6-3) ... LaMarcus Parker sophomore, a lot will hinge on the PG position, 5-8 freshman Tyreke Lewis will be the man who has to make it all work on the hardwood for the Tigers/ East transfer Kellen Gray (6-0) will have a say on the court as well ... the committee of one will be watching this group in D4 early this season ...
Really good background on New Boston. Surprised you have Warren so high. They have quite a winning tradition but aren’t they awfully young to be top 15? Not complaining or arguing, just interested in what you know.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hookshot wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:32 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:23 pm SOC 1 ... the New Boston Tigers look to improve on last season - potential is once again THE key word for Coach Cox's boys BUT there is a lot to be excited about in Tiger Land - a senior laden ballclub this season with SIZE ... it will all start with Myles Beasley (6-2), Mark Rivers (6-6), Jacob Cahall (Wellston) 6-5 ... Dalton Jackson (6-3) led NB in Rbs last season 12 rpg ... Ector Brady 6-3, Luke Henson (6-2) ... juniors Devin Allard (6-3) ... LaMarcus Parker sophomore, a lot will hinge on the PG position, 5-8 freshman Tyreke Lewis will be the man who has to make it all work on the hardwood for the Tigers/ East transfer Kellen Gray (6-0) will have a say on the court as well ... the committee of one will be watching this group in D4 early this season ...
Really good background on New Boston. Surprised you have Warren so high. They have quite a winning tradition but aren’t they awfully young to be top 15? Not complaining or arguing, just interested in what you know.
I totally respect the PROGRAM that Coach Maddox AND his outstanding staff have put together in the past 20+ years ... the Warriors will definitely be young BUT with Trent Taylor at 6-5 who can score inside the paint/above the rim and from behind the 3 point line as the anchor down low, and his partner PG Julian Stadelman who can drain the 3 ball, handles the ball, starts the offense ... Warren has a great duo to build on - the youngsters (this years sophomore group) all played on both the freshmen and JV squads last season - so "youngsters" in this case might be a misnomer ... varsity IS a different animal but they played a lot of hoops as a group ... Chase Lupardus/Conner Barry - these boyz will see a lot of action ... I hope that Colten Eddy plays this season - excellent defender & hardnosed - there was rumor in one of the threads over the summer that he wasn't going to play hoops this season - if someone knows please enlighten us ... Eddy would be a calming/solid 3rd varsity experienced player for WHS ... have to wait and see both if Warren deserves the pre-season ranking and how much the "youngsters" have improved and can adjust to the "varsity" game (size/physicality/speed) ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:10 pm
I totally respect the PROGRAM that Coach Maddox AND his outstanding staff have put together in the past 20+ years ... the Warriors will definitely be young BUT with Trent Taylor at 6-5 who can score inside the paint/above the rim and from behind the 3 point line as the anchor down low, and his partner PG Julian Stadelman who can drain the 3 ball, handles the ball, starts the offense ... Warren has a break duo to build on - the youngsters (this years sophomore group) all played on both the freshmen and JV squads last season - so "youngsters" in this case might be a misnomer ... varsity IS a different animal but they played a lot of hoops as a group ... Chase Lupardus/Conner Barry/Trent Fox/Hunter Hanes - these boyz will see a lot of action ... I hope that Colten Eddy plays this season - excellent defender & hardnosed - there was rumor in one of the threads over the summer that he wasn't going to play hoops this season - if someone knows please enlighten us ... Eddy would be a calming/solid 3rd varsity experienced player for WHS ... have to wait and see both if Warren deserves the pre-season ranking and how much the "youngsters" have improved and can adjust to the "varsity" game (size/physicality/speed) ...
Even more insight than I was expecting. Thanks. Anything on other Washington County schools? Is Warren still best in the county?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Teams that are still in the Football Playoffs who will be AT LEAST 2 weeks behind in hoops prep ( a great thing to have for these schools and football programs) :

Portsmouth West
Wheelersburg
Jackson
Washington CH
Sheridan
Portsmouth
Ironton
Coal Grove
Gallia Academy
Waterford
Eastern Reedsville
Zane Trace
Paint Valley
Nelsonville York

... wish these football programs the best this week! ... us Cheap Seat guys have to keep in mind when the season tipoffs Nov.23rd that these schools basketball wise will take time to get into basketball form ... the committee of one- me - will need to NOT drop these teams "much" in the rankings if
& when they have slow starts ... the end of December & after Christmas games will tell us more about some of these teams...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... trying to plan the Pfloyd Tour for this season - where do I go? going to start for sure that opening week - heading to ZT for the Tip Off Classic on the 23rd, hoping to be at Warren for the Clash at the Coliseum on the 25th and for sure on Saturday the 26th ( that day after Thanksgiving is up in the air depending on if I'll be out of town for Turkey Day) ...

Wednesday, November 23 (These schools must be off on Wednesday the 23rd???) ...

Circleville vs. South Point, 3 p.m.
Eastern Brown vs. New Hope Christian, 5
Westfall vs. Amanda-Clearcreek, 7

... will see 4 boys teams from SEO ...

Friday November 25 @ Warren ...

11:00 Union Local vs Logan Girls
12:45 Fairfield Christian Academy vs Frontier Boys
2:30 Marietta vs Trimble Boys
4:15 Athens vs Warren Boys
6:00 Portsmouth West vs Waterford Boys
7:45 Waterford vs Warren Girls

... 6 more teams from SEO (boys)

Saturday November 26 back at Warren ...

11:00 Belpre vs Morgan Girls
12:45 Fairland vs Morgan Boys
2:30 John Glenn vs Fairland Girls
4:15 Warren vs Meigs Girls
6:00 Federal Hocking vs Caldwell Boys
7:45 Warren vs Belpre Boys

... 4 boys teams from SEO ...

A great start ! eyes on 14 boys varsity teams from Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line in the first 3 days of action ... hope to see some familiar faces in the Cheap Seats at both of these venues in a few weeks!!!

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

I totally respect the PROGRAM that Coach Maddox AND his outstanding staff have put together in the past 20+ years ... the Warriors will definitely be young BUT with Trent Taylor at 6-5 who can score inside the paint/above the rim and from behind the 3 point line as the anchor down low, and his partner PG Julian Stadelman who can drain the 3 ball, handles the ball, starts the offense ... Warren has a great duo to build on - the youngsters (this years sophomore group) all played on both the freshmen and JV squads last season - so "youngsters" in this case might be a misnomer ... varsity IS a different animal but they played a lot of hoops as a group ... Chase Lupardus/Conner Barry/Trent Fox/Hunter Hanes - these boyz will see a lot of action ... I hope that Colten Eddy plays this season - excellent defender & hardnosed - there was rumor in one of the threads over the summer that he wasn't going to play hoops this season - if someone knows please enlighten us ... Eddy would be a calming/solid 3rd varsity experienced player for WHS ... have to wait and see both if Warren deserves the pre-season ranking and how much the "youngsters" have improved and can adjust to the "varsity" game (size/physicality/speed) ...
Eddy is not playing...Hanes and Fox graduated....Ethan Holbert(Jr.) has decide to give it a go at Warren basketball...Cornell is the only senior...the Sophomores will be fine this year lead by Stadelman, Lupardus, Criss, Barry and Sealey to name a few...it's gonna be an exciting year in Warrior land

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:42 pm

I totally respect the PROGRAM that Coach Maddox AND his outstanding staff have put together in the past 20+ years ... the Warriors will definitely be young BUT with Trent Taylor at 6-5 who can score inside the paint/above the rim and from behind the 3 point line as the anchor down low, and his partner PG Julian Stadelman who can drain the 3 ball, handles the ball, starts the offense ... Warren has a great duo to build on - the youngsters (this years sophomore group) all played on both the freshmen and JV squads last season - so "youngsters" in this case might be a misnomer ... varsity IS a different animal but they played a lot of hoops as a group ... Chase Lupardus/Conner Barry - these boyz will see a lot of action ... I hope that Colten Eddy plays this season - excellent defender & hardnosed - there was rumor in one of the threads over the summer that he wasn't going to play hoops this season - if someone knows please enlighten us ... Eddy would be a calming/solid 3rd varsity experienced player for WHS ... have to wait and see both if Warren deserves the pre-season ranking and how much the "youngsters" have improved and can adjust to the "varsity" game (size/physicality/speed) ...
Eddy is not playing...Hanes and Fox graduated....Ethan Holbert(Jr.) has decide to give it a go at Warren babsketball...Cornell is the only senior...the Sophomores will be fine this year lead by Stadelman, Lupardus, Criss, Barry and Sealey to name a few...it's gonna be an exciting year in Warrior land
Thanks jcbigblue13! I knew if threw out what I THOUGHT I knew, someone waaaaay smarter than me would give us the correct/reliable information LOL ... I hate to hear that Eddy isn't playing - he could have been a big help this season ... I'll be down to the WarriorDome for the Clash in the Coliseum (hoping for both days but for sure day 2) ...

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:48 pm
jcbigblue13 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:42 pm

Eddy is not playing...Hanes and Fox graduated....Ethan Holbert(Jr.) has decide to give it a go at Warren babsketball...Cornell is the only senior...the Sophomores will be fine this year lead by Stadelman, Lupardus, Criss, Barry and Sealey to name a few...it's gonna be an exciting year in Warrior land
Thanks jcbigblue13! I knew if threw out what I THOUGHT I knew, someone waaaaay smarter than me would give us the correct/reliable information LOL ... I hate to hear that Eddy isn't playing - he could have been a big help this season ... I'll be down to the WarriorDome for the Clash in the Coliseum (hoping for both days but for sure day 2) ...
Definitely NOT way smarter...lol...if you need a place to stay I gotta spare room....back to Warren basketball...this sophomore class reminds me alot of the Dennis, Chevalier, Taylor, Baumgard, Welch years...they have everything you need in one class just need the court time at varsity level...guard play from Stadelman, Criss, Sealey and Anthony some good three point shooters in Barry and Cochran a couple bigs in Lupardus (6'2) Wells (6'5) and then you have a player in Cressey who is just an athletic disrupter when on the floor...these nine will join with Cornell, Taylor and Holbert to make a nice varsity roster.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I always get digs every year about ranking of teams like Warren - others Logan Elm, Trimble, Fairland, Chesapeake teams past, Vinton County, Peebles, Eastern Brown, Jackson etc. TEAMS that are built around PROGRAMS ... the coaches from head coach down through the ranks have been there to develop consistency ... Coach Maddox, Coach Caldwell, Coach Stiverson, Coach Ryan Davis at the Peake until this year, Coach Combs at VC who will be coached by Coach NJ Kight who was with Coach Combs & that staff forever, Coach Arey at Peebles, Coach Beucler at EB , Coach Morrow at Jackson ... these Coaches and their TEAMS/Programs can be counted on EVERY year to put quality products on the court ... sure they adjust to the personnel BUT the personnel from year to year have been taught the fundamentals of the game at both ends of the floor coming up through the ranks ... I ALWAYS make it one of my goals to get "eyes on" each of these programs EVERY year! ... great TEAM basketball programs ... all of that was just to say - Coach Maddox & his staff have prepared the youngsters to take this next step to the varsity level ... they will learn EVERY game about themselves and their own abilities but also about the roles they must take on to make TEAM the best it can be ...

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:43 pm I always get digs every year about ranking of teams like Warren - others Logan Elm, Trimble, Fairland, Chesapeake teams past, Vinton County, Peebles, Eastern Brown, Jackson etc. TEAMS that are built around PROGRAMS ... the coaches from head coach down through the ranks have been there to develop consistency ... Coach Maddox, Coach Caldwell, Coach Stiverson, Coach Ryan Davis at the Peake until this year, Coach Combs at VC who will be coached by Coach NJ Kight who was with Coach Combs & that staff forever, Coach Arey at Peebles, Coach Beucler at EB , Coach Morrow at Jackson ... these Coaches and their TEAMS/Programs can be counted on EVERY year to put quality products on the court ... sure they adjust to the personnel BUT the personnel from year to year have been taught the fundamentals of the game at both ends of the floor coming up through the ranks ... I ALWAYS make it one of my goals to get "eyes on" each of these programs EVERY year! ... great TEAM basketball programs ... all of that was just to say - Coach Maddox & his staff have prepared the youngsters to take this next step to the varsity level ... they will learn EVERY game about themselves and their own abilities but also about the roles they must take on to make TEAM the best it can be ...
There are three teams I've asked about that I don't see any kind of analysis yet -- Federal Hocking, Athens and Marietta. Any reports or expectations on these teams.? Federal Hocking was strong last season and I think may be good again, while neither Athens or Marietta have had winning seasons lately. Just wondering if either of them could be in for a better season coming up.

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

Pioneer77 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:24 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:43 pm I always get digs every year about ranking of teams like Warren - others Logan Elm, Trimble, Fairland, Chesapeake teams past, Vinton County, Peebles, Eastern Brown, Jackson etc. TEAMS that are built around PROGRAMS ... the coaches from head coach down through the ranks have been there to develop consistency ... Coach Maddox, Coach Caldwell, Coach Stiverson, Coach Ryan Davis at the Peake until this year, Coach Combs at VC who will be coached by Coach NJ Kight who was with Coach Combs & that staff forever, Coach Arey at Peebles, Coach Beucler at EB , Coach Morrow at Jackson ... these Coaches and their TEAMS/Programs can be counted on EVERY year to put quality products on the court ... sure they adjust to the personnel BUT the personnel from year to year have been taught the fundamentals of the game at both ends of the floor coming up through the ranks ... I ALWAYS make it one of my goals to get "eyes on" each of these programs EVERY year! ... great TEAM basketball programs ... all of that was just to say - Coach Maddox & his staff have prepared the youngsters to take this next step to the varsity level ... they will learn EVERY game about themselves and their own abilities but also about the roles they must take on to make TEAM the best it can be ...
There are three teams I've asked about that I don't see any kind of analysis yet -- Federal Hocking, Athens and Marietta. Any reports or expectations on these teams.? Federal Hocking was strong last season and I think may be good again, while neither Athens or Marietta have had winning seasons lately. Just wondering if either of them could be in for a better season coming up.
Can't give any insight on Fed Hock but Marietta I can....Marietta will be a solid team this year lead by Graham, Kendall, Koast and Lierus-Kelly...new coach and new expectations also.

Return to “Boys Basketball”