SOVC

baseball16
All Conference

SOVC

Post by baseball16 »

This needs to happen before it's too late. I see some teams bolting in 2-3 years. AD's and Principals for all involved should be setting up a meeting!

Southern Ohio Valley Conference

Division A
Wheelersburg
Ironton
Waverly
Gallia Academy
Ports. West
Fairland
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

Division B

Oak Hill
Rock Hill
Valley
Minford
South Point
Chesapeake
South Webster
Northwest

Division C
Eastern Pike
Symmes Valley
Green
Port. Notre Dame
Western
South Gallia
Glenwood
Clay
Ironton St. Joe
Last edited by baseball16 on Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transplant
SE

Re: SOVC

Post by transplant »

Eastern pike?

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

Most of the schools would never go for that. Travel is one of the major concerns (Western and Portsmouth Clay to South Gallia is over 80 miles one way!) South Webster and Valley want to stay in the same division as Wheelersburg and West. Too many logistics failed the SOC 3 Division plan. Similar logistics would hit this plan as well.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

South Gallia is already joining the SOC, western and clay better get used to the drive. Why would Webster and Valley want to stay in the same division as burg and west? Webster and Valley are smaller schools now than they were 5 -10 years ago. They could still play them if they want, but i don't see why either school would want to be in the same division. Might as well play schools the same size as you.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

transplant wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:26 pm South Gallia is already joining the SOC, western and clay better get used to the drive. Why would Webster and Valley want to stay in the same division as burg and west? Webster and Valley are smaller schools now than they were 5 -10 years ago. They could still play them if they want, but i don't see why either school would want to be in the same division. Might as well play schools the same size as you.
Simple answer ---- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bringing West and particularly Wheelersburg is a much bigger gate each time they play. Switching to only playing Burg once per year in each sport, meaning that they only have them at home every other year across all sports, is a major financial loss for the smaller schools.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:48 pm
transplant wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:26 pm South Gallia is already joining the SOC, western and clay better get used to the drive. Why would Webster and Valley want to stay in the same division as burg and west? Webster and Valley are smaller schools now than they were 5 -10 years ago. They could still play them if they want, but i don't see why either school would want to be in the same division. Might as well play schools the same size as you.
Simple answer ---- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bringing West and particularly Wheelersburg is a much bigger gate each time they play. Switching to only playing Burg once per year in each sport, meaning that they only have them at home every other year across all sports, is a major financial loss for the smaller schools.
You are spot on with your post. Like it or not, school athletic programs need money. Many people do not think about this when schools work on their schedule and so forth, but it's the truth. For example, if you took Webster out of the bigger conference and moved them to the smaller conf, can you imagine the money their athletic program would lose by switching out home games with Wheelersburg for home games with East??? It would be tough to overcome. Not to mention - Webster and Valley do a really good job at maintaining high expectations for their athletes/coaches and are able to have sustainable success and fight off cyclical regressions, the best that schools their size can do.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I’d rather play burg ten times a season than half of an SOC1 schedule.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Word is the OVC will have a rep at the SOC meeting this week.....stay tuned.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Finally a little proactivity. Hopefully the SOC AD's are willing to listen and actually talk about a possible Merge and New Competitive Divisions that Benefit ALL SCHOOLS!!

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:41 pm Word is the OVC will have a rep at the SOC meeting this week.....stay tuned.
That's awesome. I am sure that any changes would take several years, but at least maybe there will be a conversation on how both leagues can improve and help all involved.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:41 pm Word is the OVC will have a rep at the SOC meeting this week.....stay tuned.
darn...maybe there is some truth to all this! I know for a fact SOC has previously been looking at the 3rd division concept. But merging SOC with OVC would solve a lot of the competitive problems (especially in football) for both leagues. It'll never be perfect for everyone, but this is the direction it needs to go.*

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:58 am
darn...maybe there is some truth to all this! I know for a fact SOC has previously been looking at the 3rd division concept. But merging SOC with OVC would solve a lot of the competitive problems (especially in football) for both leagues. It'll never be perfect for everyone, but this is the direction it needs to go.*
I cant see burg wanting to merge.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:36 pm
Likely depends on who from OVC is involved. Burg's SOC schedule next year with Northwest added could start to be problematic in football for preparing them for a deep playoff run.*

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:36 pm
Why do you think that?

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I don’t see rock hill, south point, coal grove, Chesapeake or fairland wanting to merge. Non of those teams can touch wheelersburg, I’d go on a long by and say waverly as well. I’m curious what goes down this week.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I say the best bet is split the ovc in two divisions.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:55 pm I don’t see rock hill, south point, coal grove, Chesapeake or fairland wanting to merge. Non of those teams can touch wheelersburg, I’d go on a long by and say waverly as well. I’m curious what goes down this week.
If there are three divisions 3 or 4 of these teams would not even be in Wheelersburg Division. That is where the POWERs to BE need to sit down and decide what is best for ALL SCHOOLS and create a league where all teams are competitive. Or they can keep spinning on the Hamster wheel hoping to get to somewhere they can not!

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:58 pm I say the best bet is split the ovc in two divisions.
I like that idea and get 1 or 2 more non conference games in a year.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

So are we just going off of enrollment numbers or historical performance.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Most of the OVC wants to get away from Ironton.
Some of the SOC schools are listening because some of the SOC football programs don’t have the numbers to be in SOC 2 and are too big for SOC 1. (In Football)
The new highway makes it doable more than ever before.
Who knows if it ends up being just a football league or not.?
But they could always make a different basketball division and make the teams go where they want according to basketball strengths and weaknesses.
The main reason this may happen this time is there is mutual interest finally.
I think you can forget school sizes and enrollment.
They are trying to create a fair league with comparable programs period.
It may not happen. But I think the SOC will end up in 3 divisions.

Who and what and how will get worked out

Return to “Boys Basketball”