Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

Post by trojandave »

Trojans lose a heartbreaker to Ironton 77-71 in OT at Ironton. Portsmouth had as much as a 16 point lead early in the 4th quarter, but Ironton's press caused a number of PHS turnovers which the Fighting Tigers converted into points. Devin Lattimore had 24 for the Trojans, while DeAndre Berry had 17. Portsmouth is now 2-5 in the OVC, and 4-7 overall, while Ironton is 4-1 in the OVC and 6-3 overall.

HORRIBLE no call with just seconds remaining when Devin Lattimore stole a pass and was headed to the bucket for the game winning layup, but incredible there was no call. He was tackled from behind, lost a shoe in the process, yet there was no whistle. That play had a direct affect on the outcome. No rational explanation for all 3 officials choosing to not blow the whistle on that play. Lattimore wasn't rewarded for a great play, but instead was punished with a no call.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:07 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:48 am
Where's the entire game that shows all of the bad or non calls on both teams throughout the game, terrible officiating overall against both teams. I think we can all agree on that. This just highlights one of them.
I don't have highlights of the entire game I was there in person on front row watching,this is the highlight that made the sports headlines,do you have highlights of the rest of the fouls, non calls? You are free to post them, but please when you go look at film find a foul where someone got tackled in wide open court in front of 3 officials and no call.

I didn't post this to accuse Ironton of anything, Ironton coaches and players did what they had to to win the game.

By the way two of the three refs were from Portsmouth so you know that no one is accusing Ironton of anything,the blame is on the refs for missing a pretty obvious call......

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Heard all about this "non-call" but hadn't seen it until now. Wow. Hard to believe. My opinion.

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

Hopefully Coach C and players can recover quickly from the meltdown.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Where's the entire game that shows all of the bad or non calls on both teams throughout the game, terrible officiating overall against both teams. I think we can all agree on that. This just highlights one of them.

You do know you are allowed to post video evidence or facts your self if you have them .

This was obvious a really easy call

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Pinwheel wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:13 pm

You do know you are allowed to post video evidence or facts your self if you have them .

If you read my reply to TrojanDave on the other thread, I agreed that this should have been called a foul lol.

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

Officiating is really hard. But still, a really bad "no call" in this game. I didn't see the rest of this game to know how the balance of the officiating was handled and how the game was called.

However, a few weeks ago Marietta played the No. 3 AAA team in West Virginia, still undefeated Ripley. In that game Marietta shot 4 free throws and Ripley shot 34. And despite that, Marietta took them to overtime. One of the worst cases of one-sided officiating I've seen in a long time.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:49 pm

If you read my reply to TrojanDave on the other thread, I agreed that this should have been called a foul lol.
I did read it but you are thread jumping trying to get full game film of all the fouls just saying you could provide it also show us your highlights of bad calls

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

While the no foul call is bad, even worse is blowing a 16pt fourth quarter lead. The game shouldn't have come down to a bad referee decision. Unacceptable.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

😂 some people on this site don't know a basketball from a beach ball 😂😂

Leads are blown all the time,best players foul out other teams get the hot hand etc.

Maybe after some one blows a big lead the referee just go to the locker room their jobs done? The only people defending these clowns are other refs trying to justify it.they should be ashamed

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Pinwheel wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:27 pm 😂 some people on this site don't know a basketball from a beach ball 😂😂

Leads are blown all the time,best players foul out other teams get the hot hand etc.

Maybe after some one blows a big lead the referee just go to the locker room their jobs done? The only people defending these clowns are other refs trying to justify it.they should be ashamed
I was arguing some bad calls on here in a game that had been played a few yrs before at a notoriously homer officiating stadium. The guy I was conversing with had a name that would had led you to believe he was an official. He was defending the officials. I got a pm from another poster saying the guy was a graduate of said school and was the one that had made most of the bad calls :lol: I brought it to his attention and he disappeared :lol:

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

That missed call was very bad….. but did anyone see the OSU game last night? An absolutely horrific foul call on OSU gave Minnesota 2 free throws and the game. Zero body or hand contact, completely clean block and the official with the worst view (not his call) called a foul and handed Minnesota the game.

Point of the post is —- officials miss calls at all levels. Sometimes even blatantly obvious ones. It’s unfortunate games are decided due to horrific calls, but it always be apart of the game.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:06 am That missed call was very bad….. but did anyone see the OSU game last night? An absolutely horrific foul call on OSU gave Minnesota 2 free throws and the game. Zero body or hand contact, completely clean block and the official with the worst view (not his call) called a foul and handed Minnesota the game.

Point of the post is —- officials miss calls at all levels. Sometimes even blatantly obvious ones. It’s unfortunate games are decided due to horrific calls, but it always be apart of the game.
This thread has focused primarily on one missed/bad call. And I say further most bad/missed calls are unintentional. Just made a mistake. But others have raised where there is blatant one-sided officiating that does occur occasionally and that is patently unfair to everyone on the wrong side of that discrimination.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

“WE GOT TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO NOT GET IT TO THAT POINT. WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO WAIT TO PUT IT IN THE REF'S HANDS (ON THE) LAST POSSESSION OF THE GAME."

Great Quote from Last Night's OSU game vs. Minnesota.

TURN THE PAGE. :lol:

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Portsmouth JV team lost 73-33 to Ironton and are now 0-9 on the season. The Portsmouth JH is winless at 0-12, after losing to Chesapeake last night 64-33. Both teams are a combined 0-21 on the season. After this junior class graduates, there looks to be some really rough times coming for the Trojans.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

It is tough seeing the Trojans struggle. Sometimes you need to make change to energize a program.

Jumper45
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumper45 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:49 pm

i didnt see the game but after seeing this video its no brainer that the ref just didnt make the call. theres no way any of the refs could not have seen that foul

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Coal Grove jumped to an early 28-15 lead, led 50-35 after 3 quarters, then held off a big Trojan rally to beat PHS 64-60. Even without leading scorer Owen Johnson last night, the Hornets still swept the Trojans in OVC play this season. DeAndre Berry led the Trojans with 19 points, while Kenny Sanderlin had 17. Berry had a couple of 3 points shots to tie the game but they didn't fall. CG did a good job containing PHS's leading scorer Devin Lattimore. Portsmouth is now 4-8 on the season, 2-6 and in 7th place in the OVC.

The Portsmouth JV lost 51-31 and are now 0-10 on the season. Combined, the varsity Trojans, JV, and JH are 4-30.

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

Tough seeing Portsmouth Trojans basketball having such a rough time. The girls basketball program however, looking pretty great.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

South Point edged Portsmouth in OT 56-53 with a 3 pointer at the buzzer. It was the 2nd time this season that the Trojans have been beaten by a 3 at the buzzer (Coal Grove 1st game of the season). SP and PHS stayed close to each other for most of the game, with each team having a chance to win at the end of regulation. With the win, the Pointers remain in 1st place in the OVC with an 8-1 record, while the Trojans fell to 2-7 in the OVC, 1-3 at home in conference play, and 4-9 overall. Portsmouth should be better than 4-9, and the season results provides some insight into that.

Portsmouth's 9 losses have been by an average of 8.2 points. Just this past week, the Trojans lost at Ironton last Tuesday in OT 77-71, lost at Coal Grove 64-60 last Friday, and yesterday lost to South Point 56-53 in OT. As mentioned earlier, twice PHS has been beaten at the buzzer by a 3 pointer.

The Portsmouth JV lost by about 20 to SP and are now 0-11 on the season, while the PJHS are now 0-12 with 2 games remaining. 0-23 by the 2 teams under the varsity level, and this year's varsity team will lose two key players to graduation, that being Kenny Sanderlin and Tyler Duncan. That's about 20-25 points next year's Trojans will have to make up.

After next year, Portsmouth could be entering a "Death Valley" period of basketball. Possible 0-14 records in the OVC for a couple of years at least unless something drastically changes, and I mean drastic. The JV team has played every OVC team to date, and virtually every game has been decided by 20-35 points. In fairness to the JV squad, it is comprised of all freshmen except 2 players. But the reality is that all JV teams of smaller schools have some freshmen. The JV skill level is such that unless they take off season work seriously, there will only be marginal improvement to the point where they will be struggling to win or even compete at the varsity level in 2 years.

I have watched the Trojans since 1971, my freshman year, and I can never recall such a dearth in talent under the varsity level.

Hoping for things better is fading by the week, with games at Chesapeake on Friday and at Fairland next Tuesday. This team has played good enough at times, like last night, to pull off an upset. But that upset hasn't come yet.

GO TROJANS!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”