Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

Post by 2quick2catch »

trojandave wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:24 pm Thanks, 2quick2catch for the info. MaxPreps goes back to 2005-06 for Piketon's records. Don't know why the 3-6 record in 06-07 is listed as such. Do you know what his record was for the 2004-05 season?
I am not sure on the record, but I recall going up to watch the Piketon-Ironton district semi final in Athens, it was Kyle Miller's senior year and the year Ironton went to the State Final nearly knocking off North College Hill.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Where does lisath live? Would he have to relocate?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Jeff lives in Dayton and would have to relocate to Portsmouth. From my understanding he is willing to do so. Coaching the Portsmouth Trojans is his dream job.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

trojandave wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:35 pm Jeff lives in Dayton and would have to relocate to Portsmouth. From my understanding he is willing to do so. Coaching the Portsmouth Trojans is his dream job.
Gotcha, is he currently coaching? When are they projecting to fill the position?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

He is the HC of the boys basketball team at Dayton Northridge HS. The Portsmouth job should be filled by mid-April if not earlier.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I believe someone said Jeff is also the assistant superintendent at Northridge. Not sure what position he would hold within the PCSD, but if he’s willing to come coach then finding him a position shouldn’t be too hard.

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Take away that 3-6 record (only 9 games?) and Jeff averaged 15-7 for the 10 years listed. At least 5 sectional titles, 2 district titles, and 1 Final 4 appearance.
Last edited by trojandave on Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, PTrojan59 for the info. Didn't know he was the Asst. Super.

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

Is it true that Lattimore is leaving for Wheelersburg? If true, that is a blow to the basketball and football program. Not even sure he was going back out for football since he quit midseason this past year. Either way, tough loss if hes gone.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

Won’t he have to sit out for half the year?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

MeanJoeGreene wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:13 am Is it true that Lattimore is leaving for Wheelersburg? If true, that is a blow to the basketball and football program. Not even sure he was going back out for football since he quit midseason this past year. Either way, tough loss if hes gone.

No idea if this is true. I will say if it is true, it’s a bad move for him. I’m not on here to bash a kid. But from what I’ve heard, the things he’s done or gotten by with while a member of athletic teams at Portsmouth won’t stand at Burg.

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:19 pm
MeanJoeGreene wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:13 am Is it true that Lattimore is leaving for Wheelersburg? If true, that is a blow to the basketball and football program. Not even sure he was going back out for football since he quit midseason this past year. Either way, tough loss if hes gone.

No idea if this is true. I will say if it is true, it’s a bad move for him. I’m not on here to bash a kid. But from what I’ve heard, the things he’s done or gotten by with while a member of athletic teams at Portsmouth won’t stand at Burg.
It certainly is a bad move if it happens. Unfortunate, he is a great athlete. Enjoyed watching him on the court and on the football field before he left the team. Oh well, volunteers not hostages.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Hoopster98 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:14 pm Won’t he have to sit out for half the year?
Probably have to get an apartment or his family will have to move in.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:13 pm
Hoopster98 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:14 pm Won’t he have to sit out for half the year?
As far as I know right now he lives with DeAndre Berry. So he might be moving in with someone at Burg.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:13 pm
Good luck to the kid wherever he lands.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

If I was him, I'd wait until a coach is hired. If it's Jeff then I would seriously think about staying. He will provide much more than just a basketball lesson. He will provide life lessons and things bigger than basketball. Well if the kids moves to Burg, won't his legal guardian need to move as well or release custody?

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

Ah kids don't care about much anymore, other than Tik Tok time, oh yeah get them views.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

It can be a difficult situation for any kid to transfer to another school for his senior year.......there are a number of things he has to deal with, not just on the field or court but trying to fit in socially as well. At Wheelersburg, where the standards of athletic performance and personal behavior is a high bar, some kids may not be a good fit because that senior-to-be only has 1 year to attain the goals he wants to achieve. Remember that there are kids who have been in the Wheelersburg school system since kindergarten, and to supplant them on the football field or basketball court probably won't go over well with those parents or the kids involved. There's a real possibility of resentment for the "outsider". I know transfers are part of the landscape of today's high school sports, but at the same time it's a slippery slope when you have only 1 year of eligibility left.

I am long over lamenting about a particular kid leaving to go somewhere else. The bottom line for me is the Portsmouth Trojans will put a starting 5 on the court in 2023-24 with a new coach. Remember when Andrew Bendolph left to Wheelersburg that the Trojans beat the Pirates at Wheelersburg that year when PHS came back from a 15 point deficit to win 64-60. Forrest Johnson of PHS did a great job defending Bendolph that night. Andrew did come back to PHS the following year and helped lead the Trojans to the Final 4 in 2011. He led the Trojans in scoring in the state semifinal game vs. Cleveland Central Catholic with 15 points.

One thing about Lattimore that some don't know is that he is a straight A student. He has always been polite and courteous when I've talked to him.

I wish any kid the best in their decision, but be careful what you wish for.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

trojandave wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:52 am It can be a difficult situation for any kid to transfer to another school for his senior year.......there are a number of things he has to deal with, not just on the field or court but trying to fit in socially as well. At Wheelersburg, where the standards of athletic performance and personal behavior is a high bar, some kids may not be a good fit because that senior-to-be only has 1 year to attain the goals he wants to achieve. Remember that there are kids who have been in the Wheelersburg school system since kindergarten, and to supplant them on the football field or basketball court probably won't go over well with those parents or the kids involved. There's a real possibility of resentment for the "outsider". I know transfers are part of the landscape of today's high school sports, but at the same time it's a slippery slope when you have only 1 year of eligibility left.

I am long over lamenting about a particular kid leaving to go somewhere else. The bottom line for me is the Portsmouth Trojans will put a starting 5 on the court in 2023-24 with a new coach. Remember when Andrew Bendolph left to Wheelersburg that the Trojans beat the Pirates at Wheelersburg that year when PHS came back from a 15 point deficit to win 64-60. Forrest Johnson of PHS did a great job defending Bendolph that night. Andrew did come back to PHS the following year and helped lead the Trojans to the Final 4 in 2011. He led the Trojans in scoring in the state semifinal game vs. Cleveland Central Catholic with 15 points.

One thing about Lattimore that some don't know is that he is a straight A student. He has always been polite and courteous when I've talked to him.

I wish any kid the best in their decision, but be careful what you wish for.
Very well said. My son played travel ball for a couple years with him. I think 5th and 6th grade and to this day if we see him somewhere, he always comes and gives us a hug and see how we're doing. Great kid.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Not if he moves into the district.
the hoopla is a well known buisness man that owns a well known food joint is encouraging him and finding him a pad to lay on for the season.

" Word on the street"

Return to “Boys Basketball”