Coaching Openings

Gray Cat
Varsity

Re: Coaching Openings

Post by Gray Cat »

Picket Fence wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:06 am
Gray Cat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:47 pm
Picket Fence wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:26 am

I hope they hire a coach that wants to get the program back on track. I’d start with someone who can keep the best players @ Belpre & attempt to revive the peewee program.
Maybe they can get a former OSU player to take over. Either that, or since you mentioned the peewee program, maybe they could get a peewee coach to take the varsity? Didn't they try that for a few years in football? Or was that somewhere else? :o
Gray Cat, Belpre did have a former peewee basketball coach for a couple of years (2009? or 2010?). That didn’t work out and was a disaster. I’m sure people remember the OU Convo inciden at districts. The last time they were regularly beating teams in the TVC was in 2012-2014 and Jordan Thornhill was the coach.

If Belpre keeps their best players “in house” then they will be at the top of the TVC-Hocking. The problem is their best players all transfer to Warren or Parkersburg Catholic. They lost five college-level athletes to those two schools from 2014-2021 (all 1000 point scorers). They lost Stadleman to Warren last year, who started for Warren by the end of the year….he’s a freshman and likely a 1000 point scorer. Keep the talent in house, Belpre wins.
Was Thornhill the one that had the talented but undisciplined players?

Vike73
Riding the Bench

Post by Vike73 »

Why was Thornhill ever let go in the first place?

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

Let's just say he made some very bad decisions.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Really? Many Bad decisions by many schools for a Long time You wonder why many great and even average programs are dumpster fires 🔥. Sad for the players and community

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

E High wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:18 am Really? Many Bad decisions by many schools for a Long time You wonder why many great and even average programs are dumpster fires 🔥. Sad for the players and community
Sir, I was trying to be sensative to what happened. His "decisions" caused him not to be employed.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

chrishilton91 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:54 am
E High wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:18 am Really? Many Bad decisions by many schools for a Long time You wonder why many great and even average programs are dumpster fires 🔥. Sad for the players and community
Sir, I was trying to be sensative to what happened. His "decisions" caused him not to be employed.
Have they made a decision on a new one for this year yet?

Go Blue
chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

Who knows. It is the Shady City Schools

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

chrishilton91 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:26 pm Who knows. It is the Shady City Schools
Didn't they just hire a new AD a few weeks ago? Probably waited for him to make the hire.

Go Blue
chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

Yes, they hired a new AD (a warren guy') like a month ago around the same time frame the basketball coach resigned. Had plenty of time to hire someone.

Have a friend who applied that has over 200 wins and never even got a call. Maybe the principal will name himself the coach. Like he told the old coach he was his assistant.

Blue Tartan
Waterboy

Post by Blue Tartan »

chrishilton91 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:49 am Yes, they hired a new AD (a warren guy') like a month ago around the same time frame the basketball coach resigned. Had plenty of time to hire someone.

Have a friend who applied that has over 200 wins and never even got a call. Maybe the principal will name himself the coach. Like he told the old coach he was his assistant.
They should just let the football coach do both football and basketball. He's doing such a great job with football how could he not do well with basketball? Plus the Big M seems to really like him, so it should be a no brainer. :mrgreen:

Living the dream in Middleport Metro
Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Board meeting for Belpre on Thursday I believe, maybe they'll approve a coach?? I've still heard no rumors on a candidate.

Go Blue
BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

Tonight, the Belpre BOE hired Ryan Leasure as their new head boys basketball coach tonight. He served as the JV coach last year.

Ryan is a teacher in the district. He knows the players and they know him.

Yes, this is his first head coaching job and folks need to have patience and give him time to build the program.

I support this hire because at Belpre, we need to start hiring teachers that will coach our students.

Don't forget that back in the early 1970's the BOE hired a young coach by the name of Joe Garrett. They only gave him like 3 years and they decided to hire John Kost to appease some folks. Jump ahead about 15 years and the BOE hired coach Garrett back as head coach and we enjoyed our best 10 years or so of basketball excellence with 3 trips to the Final Four under coach Garrett. What would have been if they had stuck with him as a young coach?

Congratulations to Ryan and best of luck. I hope he is able to hire a good staff to work with him.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!!!

Unckle Ralph
Waterboy

Post by Unckle Ralph »

Great hire for Belpre.

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

Tonight the BOE hired Todd Engle as Belpre Boys asst basketball coach. This is another good hire for the program.

A Kinder Yogi
Waterboy

Post by A Kinder Yogi »

Here is hoping they keep making great decisions

Y'all are just gonna have to prove that!

Return to “Boys Basketball”