Jackson 53 Logan Elm 39 a D2 district semi-final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Jackson 53 Logan Elm 39 a D2 district semi-final

Post by pfloyd »

Jackson 53
Logan Elm 39 a final

... ANYTIME you can have Caleb Wallis give your team a pre-game pep talk THAT HAS GOT BE WORTH 10 points! - either 10 pts at the offensive end or 10 points at the defense end - doesn't matter as Caleb Wallis would have gotten it either way for TEAM ... I was walking out of the gym between games and ran into Caleb - JHS basketball alum now making noise at Rio - and Coach Wallis as they were going into the gym and as I said CW was giving the Ironmen their pregame pep talk - it obviously worked as Coach Morrow's Ironmen looked like a team that had a game plan, executed the game plan and "survived and ARE advancing" to the district finals ... Jackson 53 Logan Elm 39 a final ...

... TEAM Jackson is a tale of 2 teams actually ... prior to a couple of weeks to go in the regular season JHS had a true/solid PG in Tristan Prater ... unfortunately for both Prater and the Ironmen of Coach Morrow - Prater has a season ending injury ... same game or at least same week 6-3 Logan Miller comes off IR AND fellow 6-1, strong, thick, senior Drew Braggs (health issues) says "I'm going to give it go for the TEAM" ... last night vs LE the "new" additions to the JHS lineup accounted for 30 of the Ironmen 53 points ... BOTH added to an already potent JHS defense, BOTH add to strength on the boards, size to get into the paint and finish AND as an added bonus - perimeter scoring - ALL are a bonus and a boon to the Jackson cause ... for LE THIS "boon" was a headache and then some as Jackson with NOT great size - they are strong, long, and still taller than Coach Stiverson's Braves AND they play D ... a defense that in this game adjusted to the Logan Elm offense - the Braves were able to stay in the game, play toe to toe with JHS using the 3 ball as a weapon - LE shot 50% from behind the arc in the opening 2 quarters (5/10 - 2/4 in the 1st qtr and 3/6 in the 2nd) ... with LE using the long range route Jackson only took 1 three pointer in the first 2 periods (0/1) ... every fg made by the Ironmen was in the paint (10 fgs in the paint) in the 1st half of action ... for LE - jr Braylen Baker had 10 pts in the half including 2 treys, jr Tanner Holbert 9 pts (2 triples) ... the duo had 19 of the LE 26 first half points with seniors Konnor Starkey/Garret Summer adding the other 7 points ... for Jackson in the half - Logan Miller 9, Drew Bragg with limited minutes 5 pts, Boston Campbell 6pts, Jacob Winters 2pts and Holden Blankenship 3 ... anytime you put a Coach Morrow and Coach Stiverson matchup on the court DEFENSE is on the marquee ... in the first half each team kept the opposing in check by turning them over - Logan Elm defensively turned JHS over 10 times with the Jackson D forced 6 LE miscues ... Logan Elm 11 Jackson 15 after one ... Logan Elm 26 Jackson 25 at intermission ... you can bet the house on good teams coming out after half time turning up the pressure ... in this case the pressure went up ... you can also make bank on good teams being ready to handle the pressure knowing it's coming - both teams took care of the ball in the 3rd - 2 turnovers each ... Jackson had to take away the perimeter scoring/slow down the 50% from beyond the arc scoring : LE went 1/4 in the 3rd period from three point land (JHS win) ... limited the fgs to 4 in the qtr - JHS win ... on the Ironmen side of the court , Coach Morrow got a triple from Bragg and a pair of 2 pointers each from Campbell and Miller in the paint - JHS win ... Jackson 38 Logan Elm 35 after 3 ... in the one and done season you HAVE TO HAVE your PLAYERS step up in the moment for Jackson Drew Bragg in his limited minutes stepped up - 5 big points ( a bucket at the rim and 3 pointer), Miller added 4pts/sophomore Boston Campbell 4 pts/14 for the game - BIG ... add a mix of JHS D and LE getting only 2 fgs/both 2 pointers/ 4 points in the final qtr = the Ironmen advancing to the District finals ... Jackson 53 Logan Elm 39 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Logan Elm

Scoring ... Braylen Baker 14, Tanner Holbert 11, Garret Summers 7, Konnor Starkey 7
3 Pointers ... 6/18 ... Braylen Baker 2, Tanner Holbert 2, Garret Summers 1, Konnor Starkey 1
FTs ... 3/4
TOs ... 15
PnP ... 8 fgs/ 16 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fgs/ 6 points in transition
Pbk ... 0

Great season for the Logan Elm Braves. I know it gets old BUT losing arguably the 5 starters /4 of which were starters for 4 years while at LE - this year was going to be a struggle... BUT when you are talking about a Coach Stiverson, Coach Holbert and Coach Dropsey "program" "system" as is at Logan Elm - they just reload year in year out ... I told Coach Dropsey before the game that LE gets to district play seemingly annually because of the work that he, Coach Holbert do at the freshmen/JV levels to get their players for the big stage without missing a beat ... next season - Tanner Holbert, Braylen Baker, Drew Tomlinson (25 of the LE 39 points returns to LE) return as the nucleus for another successful season to be for Coach Stiverson & Co.

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Jackson

Scoring ... Logan Miller 17, Boston Campbell 14, Drew Bragg 13, Evan Jarvis 4, Holden Blankenship 3, Jacob Winters 2
3 Pointers ... 2/6 ... Drew Bragg 2
FTs ... 11/14
TOs ... 16
PnP ... 18 fgs/ 36 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fgs/ 6 points in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of offensive boards

... great game plan by the Ironmen - get it inside , take advantage of your size/strength down low ... limit the LE offense on the perimeter - play D ... Jackson is a different team with the addition of Bragg and Miller all for the better ... going to be interesting to see how the Ironmen "game plan" for the #1 seed the Waverly Tigers of Coach Robertson ... it should be a great game !!!

bman
SEO

Re: Jackson 53 Logan Elm 39 a D2 district semi-final

Post by bman »

Great summary pfloyd. Jackson played a fantastic game and deserved a lot of credit for the win. Also want to compliment the Logan Elm kids on a fine season, getting to 15 wins with a new starting five. The coaches and kids work incredibly hard. Looking forward to seeing what 2023 holds for the Braves.

Enjoyed talking with you during the second half about the game and SE District basketball. I'd head down to that D3 district finals if I were you. Difficult choice that I hope won't be necessary in future seasons.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

As the game was being played in the first quarter….Logan Elm seemed nervous or confused or something. I didn’t think they came out and attacked, seemed to have a pace to them but maybe too paced. That’s just what I thought I saw. 2nd qtr Tomlinson got some steals and his all-district XC skills I knew he’d never tire down and be a problem…,but Jackson adjusted and Campbell is really stepping up taking care of the ball. He’s never been a point guard but he’s filling in that spot for Tristan Prater who was also forced into that role.

You say Caleb Wallis pregame speech helped…..I hope he’s at practice all week hounding Campbell, Blankenship, Bragg, Jarvis helping prep them for Stulley’s endless, relentless pressure….he has a constant motor.

I might have Miller or Winters bring the ball up to avoid Stulley.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Took this game in. Jackson never played well at all against my Cavs this year. Pfloyd were you up on the Logan Elm side in a purple Burrow jersey?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ed Ott wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:41 pm Took this game in. Jackson never played well at all against my Cavs this year. Pfloyd were you up on the Logan Elm side in a purple Burrow jersey?
... yes I was ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:43 pm
Ed Ott wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:41 pm Took this game in. Jackson never played well at all against my Cavs this year. Pfloyd were you up on the Logan Elm side in a purple Burrow jersey?
... yes I was ...
... my location is always (or at least I try anyway) opposite the benches ... I like to see what the coaches are doing/ etc I try to get center court seats but that local was taken so I went to a side, on the aisle where I can stretch my legs and have no one directly in front of me - the cheap seats ...

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:45 pm
... yes I was ...
... my location is always (or at least I try anyway) opposite the benches ... I like to see what the coaches are doing/ etc I try to get center court seats but that local was taken so I went to a side, on the aisle where I can stretch my legs and have no one directly in front of me - the cheap seats ...
I need to stop up and introduce myself the next time

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ed Ott wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:57 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:45 pm

... yes I was ...
I need to stop up and introduce myself the next time
... please do ! always enjoy meeting/talking hoops with posters/fans of the game ... I was sitting beside Coach Dropsey's dad to my left - I told Coach Dropsey of LE I would harass his dad during the game as much as I could ... bman stopped up in the Cheap Seats for the 2nd half of the LE vs Jackson game ... in the prior game I met a number of great folks - Mark Stulley's Dad from Waverly, Jeff - Mr. Stulley's insurance to not get thrown out of a venue LOL ... good people ... smurray, UKfanatic, good to meet up with UK's son who played for Waverly a few years ago ... so many good people in SEOhio that love the game of high school basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”