Waverly 19-4 vs Warren 17-6 District Semi Saturday 02/26 1:00pm

smurray
SEOPS HO

Waverly 19-4 vs Warren 17-6 District Semi Saturday 02/26 1:00pm

Post by smurray »

Throw out the records and the seeds. Warren has had Waverly’s number, will the Tigers respond with the W this year? A trip to the District Championship game on the line.
How do these two teams match up? How have their schedules prepared them for this match up?

E High
All State

Re: Waverly 19-4 vs Warren 17-6 District Semi Saturday 02/26 1:00pm

Post by E High »

Warren playing well. Waverly is better. The SE must change there tournament procedures. This should be a district finals game.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

The warriors blew past New Lex 56-29 after suffering a close set back to them early in the season, very well could be the two best teams in SE Ohio facing off against each other in the DII district semis and should be a dandy. This Warren team isn't built for comebacks so if the warriors are wanting a chance to win this they'll have to make it a close contest heading into the 4th.

Go Blue
Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

Whs95fan wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:30 am The warriors blew past New Lex 56-29 after suffering a close set back to them early in the season, very well could be the two best teams in SE Ohio facing off against each other in the DII district semis and should be a dandy. This Warren team isn't built for comebacks so if the warriors are wanting a chance to win this they'll have to make it a close contest heading into the 4th.
Well put Whs95fan. Hoping for a Warren W. Sallee vs Trey Robertson and Taylor vs Will Futhey. Warren has the advantage down low and Waverly has the superior guard play and athleticism.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Definitely impressed by Waverly’s speed

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Goodness….Warren again, huh? Tough test for the Tigers. Warren seems to be playing their best basketball of the season. I really wish this for the district championship, but it’s good on good from here out anyway. It seems weird that it won’t be played in the Convo. Taking into account recent history, maybe the change of venue is a good thing for us.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This is big and it FEELS a round too early…..I’ll say both teams got a bad draw.

This is Waverly’s tournament but Warren is not who I’d want to be playing. Maddox is not the coach I’d want to be facing….BUT in the end, this is Waverly’s tournament and they are THE team to beat. Waverly IS the favorite and I expect them to pull away late in a 61-49 game…..but it’s a very fine line and many factors.

Tournament is fun

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Should honestly be an easy win for Waverly. I’m gonna go with a 59-42 winner

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Waverly has only lost to 1 SE district team - Minford in 2021-22 while Warren has only lost to 2 SE district teams - Washington CH the first game of the season /New Lex BOTH losses to SEOhio district teams were before the current lineup rounded into shape - so the current lineup has not lost to a SE District team in 2021-22 ... NEITHER Warren or Waverly have lost to a SE district team in the 2022 portion of this season ! ... 2 of the best in the SE district both teams and coaches ... gotta love the survive and advance season ...

Dlightle72
Waterboy

Post by Dlightle72 »

Don’t remember the last time a #8 seed was as good of a team as Warren. Tough draw for the Tigers ! Sounds like the other coaches wanted to try to get at least one of these 2 out of the way. Lol

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Waverly wins They are better. SE needs to change this stupid format. It’s 2022. !!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

E High wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:02 am Waverly wins They are better. SE needs to change this stupid format. It’s 2022. !!!
Agree

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Good luck Waverly

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

So, let’s say that the format is changed.

I assume that the 2-7 seeds would likely go away from Waverly, leaving Warren to either choose a home game or to face one or the 2-7 seeds in a sectional final, making their road to the districts even more difficult

This matchup still could have happened that way and people would still be complaining

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

When you survive and advance the expectation is that the next opponent is equally as good or better than you - it's tournament time, it's the district semi's - my expectations are that the teams that make it to the district level ARE good ... in this case , Waverly and Warren, they are BOTH good ! different styles of play for sure ... Warren will need to slow the tempo down and make it a defensive contest where they can use their strength to make sure Waverly doesn't force the BBB to play catchup ... Warren doesn't have THAT kind of offense ... Waverly will try to take advantage of their TEAM speed/quickness , get into a transition game that allows them to spread the floor/find Trey Robertson... the open floor for TR is where he is at his best ... where he can make decisions with the ball - shoot it, penetrate to the rim , penetrate and dish ... Warren can't let Waverly dictate the flow of the game or it will be a long afternoon ... Waverly has played a nonconference schedule vs teams that NO ONE in SEO would beat - Newark/Upper Arlington/ Colonel Crawford ... while Warren played an equally tough schedule only the teams they played were conference games so they played Dover, New Philadelphia TWICE ... Warren could gauge their own improvement on the court as they beat New Philly at Warren in round 2 of that matchup, played a Parkersburg South team to a 4 point loss ... again these are teams no one in SEO beats ... bottom line they are both game tested, they have handled/seen what the other has both offensively and defensively during the season ... in the one an done season it's easy to sit back, pull out the Ouija Board and come up with a prediction ... most times because of the nature of the beast - the post season - you just have to let them play the game ... the only sure fire prediction that can be made is that the team that executes the game plan the best for 32 minutes will be the winner ... it should be a great game ... my #1 vs my #8 = great game worth the price of admission ...

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:36 pm When you survive and advance the expectation is that the next opponent is equally as good or better than you - it's tournament time, it's the district semi's - my expectations are that the teams that make it to the district level ARE good ... in this case , Waverly and Warren, they are BOTH good ! different styles of play for sure ... Warren will need to slow the tempo down and make it a defensive contest where they can use their strength to make sure Waverly doesn't force the BBB to play catchup ... Warren doesn't have THAT kind of offense ... Waverly will try to take advantage of their TEAM speed/quickness , get into a transition game that allows them to spread the floor/find Trey Robertson... the open floor for TR is where he is at his best ... where he can make decisions with the ball - shoot it, penetrate to the rim , penetrate and dish ... Warren can't let Waverly dictate the flow of the game or it will be a long afternoon ... Waverly has played a nonconference schedule vs teams that NO ONE in SEO would beat - Newark/Upper Arlington/ Colonel Crawford ... while Warren played an equally tough schedule only the teams they played were conference games so they played Dover, New Philadelphia TWICE ... Warren could gauge their own improvement on the court as they beat New Philly at Warren in round 2 of that matchup, played a Parkersburg South team to a 4 point loss ... again these are teams no one in SEO beats ... bottom line they are both game tested, they have handled/seen what the other has both offensively and defensively during the season ... in the one an done season it's easy to sit back, pull out the Ouija Board and come up with a prediction ... most times because of the nature of the beast - the post season - you just have to let them play the game ... the only sure fire prediction that can be made is that the team that executes the game plan the best for 32 minutes will be the winner ... it should be a great game ... my #1 vs my #8 = great game worth the price of admission ...
Well said Pfloyd. NO ONE can say for sure how the flow of the game will go but it will dictate the end result. Will Warren be able to slow the game down enough against Waverly? If so can then they have a fairly decent shot to pull off the upset. If Waverly is able to play their style of ball then this one could be over quick. Regardless, looking forward to Saturday!

Go Blue
Warriors321
Freshman Team

Post by Warriors321 »

My money is on the warriors. Two completely different teams from the start of the year until now for the warriors. Warriors gotta play hard-nosed defense and hit timely shots. GO BLUE!!!!

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

When will purchase of tickets be available?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:54 pm So, let’s say that the format is changed.

I assume that the 2-7 seeds would likely go away from Waverly, leaving Warren to either choose a home game or to face one or the 2-7 seeds in a sectional final, making their road to the districts even more difficult

This matchup still could have happened that way and people would still be complaining
Yeah, it isn’t the format, it is the fact that Warren was a 16-win team with a #8 seed. (I know they won a few after the draw and I’m not saying the seeding is right or wrong, but obviously the coaches did not feel Warren was one of the top 2, 4, etc. teams or that this was the marquee match up).

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Waverly survives and advances

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast

Return to “Boys Basketball”