Why Are Tournament Games on same night?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Why Are Tournament Games on same night?

Post by Ironman92 »

Wondering why?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Re: Why Are Tournament Games on same night?

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I would be great if for Sectionals, they did a Monday/Friday and Tuesday/Saturday.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

D2, D3, D4 all on same night through districts?

I can’t figure out the reasoning. Where will the officials come from in that first round? That’s A LOT of crews.

Money? I can’t imagine the OHSAA profiting more. If Minford hosted a game on Friday Night and Saturday Night Valley or South Webster hosted…..they’d each get their full influx of regular fans but also the surrounding area fans would go to them too.

Just wondering the reasoning?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

So on the 18th the district will need 24 different crews for D2-D4……and these are sectional finals games and guessing more than half of them to be tightly contested.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

Agreed fellas. It makes no sense at all on most levels in my opinion. I can only attend one game now, where I can guarantee you I would have attended 3 if it was set up for it. Plus, it really stretches thin the already less than favorable officiating situations. I would love to hear reasoning behind this decision as well.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I've asked this question over and over I92 ... makes not sense AT ALL ... big games in those first rounds as you posted, YOU want the best of the best crews doing as many games as THEY can for the obvious reason - you want games decided on the court not by "officiating crews" where the post season moment of the big games are too big for them ... as you soggybottomtopper , I would have gone to the best game I could get to in every division if the divisional game days were staggered ... disappointed in the LACK of thinking this out by the powers that be ... I've had, almost to the person, when talking to hoops fans at games I've attended say that they WANT to go back to the one site sectional play as we've had in the past, want to have OU back for District play ... the Convo separated SEOhio basketball from other districts - made the SE District the CLASS of high school hoops with it as the Mecca of SEOhio basketball - teams could set "getting to the Convo" in the one and done season as an attainable goal! unlike setting getting to the stat final 4 at OSU ... oh yeah that's right OSU doesn't want to host the State Hoops Finals (smh) ...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The only thing I can figure is the girls are just starting and playing the same week through Districts.
Girls are Monday 14th, Sat. 19th and Friday 25th
Boys are Tuesday 15th, Friday 18th, Sat. 26th and Friday March 4.
Wednesday I guess is open for any possible weather issues.

That’s the only reason I can think of…

I believe in years past girls sectionals started a whole week before boys so we didn’t have this issue.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Most of the state is doing sectional play at the higher seed, so I think that's here to stay. I agree it would be better to have each division on a different night or at most two divisions on the same night. But let's also be honest. The days of basketball junkies going to a ton of games are just about over. Obviously, we have some diehards on this site that love to go to games, and I enjoyed watching a couple of games at the Convo just as an observer after I was done covering my game, but that breed is getting fewer and fewer by the year. That's why high school attendance is declining.

I hope we get district-level games back to the Convo next year and for years to come. That's a special experience for the players, coaches and community of the teams that advance to the best three weeks of high school basketball. I also believe that's a recruiting tool for Ohio University to show off the campus and community to the district. I'm an OSU grad and had rarely been to Athens before I started covering games at the Convo, along with baseball and softball tournament games at OU's other facilities. I love the OU campus and the beautiful setting that it has, along with Court Street. Beautiful community.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:35 pm Most of the state is doing sectional play at the higher seed, so I think that's here to stay. I agree it would be better to have each division on a different night or at most two divisions on the same night. But let's also be honest. The days of basketball junkies going to a ton of games are just about over. Obviously, we have some diehards on this site that love to go to games, and I enjoyed watching a couple of games at the Convo just as an observer after I was done covering my game, but that breed is getting fewer and fewer by the year. That's why high school attendance is declining.

I hope we get district-level games back to the Convo next year and for years to come. That's a special experience for the players, coaches and community of the teams that advance to the best three weeks of high school basketball. I also believe that's a recruiting tool for Ohio University to show off the campus and community to the district. I'm an OSU grad and had rarely been to Athens before I started covering games at the Convo, along with baseball and softball tournament games at OU's other facilities. I love the OU campus and the beautiful setting that it has, along with Court Street. Beautiful community.
bman!!! so you're saying "I'm" a dying breed!!!??? ... I resemble that remark ! I feel I'm becoming extinct and my days are numbered now ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:25 pm
bman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:35 pm Most of the state is doing sectional play at the higher seed, so I think that's here to stay. I agree it would be better to have each division on a different night or at most two divisions on the same night. But let's also be honest. The days of basketball junkies going to a ton of games are just about over. Obviously, we have some diehards on this site that love to go to games, and I enjoyed watching a couple of games at the Convo just as an observer after I was done covering my game, but that breed is getting fewer and fewer by the year. That's why high school attendance is declining.

bman!!! so you're saying "I'm" a dying breed!!!??? ... I resemble that remark ! I feel I'm becoming extinct and my days are numbered now ...
Long live the Purple Hippo! :D

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:40 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:25 pm

Long live the Purple Hippo! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Us old guys got to keep it going. Go Purple

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

peake71 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:22 pm Us old guys got to keep it going. Go Purple
Absolutely peake71!!!

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Convenience to SE board along with possible conflict of girls tourney.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:27 pm I've asked this question over and over I92 ... makes not sense AT ALL ... big games in those first rounds as you posted, YOU want the best of the best crews doing as many games as THEY can for the obvious reason - you want games decided on the court not by "officiating crews" where the post season moment of the big games are too big for them ... as you soggybottomtopper , I would have gone to the best game I could get to in every division if the divisional game days were staggered ... disappointed in the LACK of thinking this out by the powers that be ... I've had, almost to the person, when talking to hoops fans at games I've attended say that they WANT to go back to the one site sectional play as we've had in the past, want to have OU back for District play ... the Convo separated SEOhio basketball from other districts - made the SE District the CLASS of high school hoops with it as the Mecca of SEOhio basketball - teams could set "getting to the Convo" in the one and done season as an attainable goal! unlike setting getting to the stat final 4 at OSU ... oh yeah that's right OSU doesn't want to host the State Hoops Finals (smh) ...
Coaches overwhelmingly liked the home site sectionals. And if you can convince the Mid American Conference to take the MAC wrestling tournament away from OHIO University, they would play the Districts there. I mean, how dare, OHIO University actually put their own events in front of the fans of SE Ohio basketball.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Pol pot wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:13 am
pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:27 pm I've asked this question over and over I92 ... makes not sense AT ALL ... big games in those first rounds as you posted, YOU want the best of the best crews doing as many games as THEY can for the obvious reason - you want games decided on the court not by "officiating crews" where the post season moment of the big games are too big for them ... as you soggybottomtopper , I would have gone to the best game I could get to in every division if the divisional game days were staggered ... disappointed in the LACK of thinking this out by the powers that be ... I've had, almost to the person, when talking to hoops fans at games I've attended say that they WANT to go back to the one site sectional play as we've had in the past, want to have OU back for District play ... the Convo separated SEOhio basketball from other districts - made the SE District the CLASS of high school hoops with it as the Mecca of SEOhio basketball - teams could set "getting to the Convo" in the one and done season as an attainable goal! unlike setting getting to the stat final 4 at OSU ... oh yeah that's right OSU doesn't want to host the State Hoops Finals (smh) ...
Coaches overwhelmingly liked the home site sectionals. And if you can convince the Mid American Conference to take the MAC wrestling tournament away from OHIO University, they would play the Districts there. I mean, how dare, OHIO University actually put their own events in front of the fans of SE Ohio basketball.
Why the same night for all divisions of boys?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:55 am

Edit Report Quote
Post by smurray » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:40 pm

The only thing I can figure is the girls are just starting and playing the same week through Districts.
Girls are Monday 14th, Sat. 19th and Friday 25th
Boys are Tuesday 15th, Friday 18th, Sat. 26th and Friday March 4.
Wednesday I guess is open for any possible weather issues.

That’s the only reason I can think of…

I believe in years past girls sectionals started a whole week before boys so we didn’t have this issue.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ok…I got a bit of an answer and I appreciate him doing so. I don’t love it but I do understand it.

The ref shortage is real across the sports….basketball is no different and the SE is no different. For years the refs would be graded by coaches, AD’s and others and some officials would do 12-15 tournament games a year while others would get only 1 or 2…..they are trying to keep the newer ones around snd quite honestly I really like most all the newer guys I have seen….those younger refs may not know or have the good respect yet from the coaches and they want most all of the officials to get at least a few tournament games and keep them into it…..the bigger games are more exiting for them as well I would imagine.

Yes, I think it sucks to have to choose which game to attend when you could be hitting up 2 or 3 but I think the officiating around these parts HAS improved the last couple years. I’m one of the people that would be ok if they went back to 2 officials and gave them say another $10-$15 each but understand it would be difficult to keep doing as good of a job.

Selfishly, I’d be good with 2 officials and me getting to go to all the potential games I wanted and I’d be ok if the better 20-25 guys did most every tournament game….but I do get it.

Hope this tournament season is great.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Not having Neutral sites in the sectionals. They basically did away with doubleheader’s. Also, many schools quit hosting neutral sites for the sectional’s and districts cause the districts paid them like $500 bucks to host. The district paid the cost for referring and the people working the tables. Concessions and parking went to the schools hosting the events, but most schools said NO. Most wanted $2000 or so and most schools said NO.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:55 am
Keeps games off of the same night as the girls, all teams get the same amount of prep for every game, provides adequate spacing for weather and covid related issues if any. And just how this worked out this year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”