Biggest Tournament Upsets

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Biggest Tournament Upsets

Post by Ironman92 »

SE District

I know there have been some 20-0’s lose in the sectionals but the opponents were no slouches. I wasn’t greatly surprised when Todd Mayo’s South Point team lost and wasn’t greatly surprised Burg and their returning star knocking off Oak Hill in I think and 8-1 matchup.

Freshman Lane Ruby going for 30 and taking a 5-17? team to beat Oak Hill in the district semis? That’s the biggest upset in my eyes (as I can think anyways lol)

Can’t remember but the Valley team that was like 6’7, 6’6, 6’6, 6’5 and only lost to teams in a North Carolina tournament and were 1 seed I think….got knocked off by? Piketon? Someone in SVC. I remember being at Valley for D4 tournament and workers were in tears they got upset.

Back in 1999 Whiteoak was 1 seed and just beat Clay 104-50 and then in sectional finals faced North Adams who they beat both times that season by around 20….but with Dave Young at the helm it nearly falls into the Oak Hill/Burg, South Point/Ironton? range.

So Southeastern over Oak Hill in the districts for me

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Biggest Tournament Upsets

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:54 pm SE District

I know there have been some 20-0’s lose in the sectionals but the opponents were no slouches. I wasn’t greatly surprised when Todd Mayo’s South Point team lost and wasn’t greatly surprised Burg and their returning star knocking off Oak Hill in I think and 8-1 matchup.

Freshman Lane Ruby going for 30 and taking a 5-17? team to beat Oak Hill in the district semis? That’s the biggest upset in my eyes (as I can think anyways lol)

Can’t remember but the Valley team that was like 6’7, 6’6, 6’6, 6’5 and only lost to teams in a North Carolina tournament and were 1 seed I think….got knocked off by? Piketon? Someone in SVC. I remember being at Valley for D4 tournament and workers were in tears they got upset.

Back in 1999 Whiteoak was 1 seed and just beat Clay 104-50 and then in sectional finals faced North Adams who they beat both times that season by around 20….but with Dave Young at the helm it nearly falls into the Oak Hill/Burg, South Point/Ironton? range.

That was Westfall in 2004. A team with NO size at all, but they could all dribble, shoot and defend. They got the lead and just dribbled around Valley to win kind of comfortably. Westfall was .500 in SVC play, but ended up as District Runner-Up, losing in 2OT to Gagai and Waginger.

Coach Holbert then left and went to Logan Elm, his replacement? Matt Hoops.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:17 pm

That was Westfall in 2004. A team with NO size at all, but they could all dribble, shoot and defend. They got the lead and just dribbled around Valley to win kind of comfortably. Westfall was .500 in SVC play, but ended up as District Runner-Up, losing in 2OT to Gagai and Waginger.

Coach Holbert then left and went to Logan Elm, his replacement? Matt Hoops.
You can surely add to the list 😁

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

That Southeastern team needed a buzzer beater to upset Zane Trace in the opening round. Then beat 1 seeded Lynchburg Clay in the Sectional Finals, an LC team that returned 3 starters from a Final Four run the year before.

They beat Minford in the District Semis with Ruby going off in that 4th quarter. I think they trailed Oak Hill something like 10-0 after the first quarter before making a big run to be close at the half. They actually won that game by 4, the biggest differential of those 4 tournament wins.

Coach Slaughter would be let go for a “Southeastern guy” after that season, and the Panthers have gone 30-80 since, while Slaughter guided Cambridge to a District Runner-Up last year. I do think Coach Adams (the 2nd SE guy) is a good coach and with time, they’ll be okay. It was just a silly reason to replace Slaughter, especially when it wasn’t immediately for Adams.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

2015 tournament

2-20 Huntington beats 15-7 Zane Trace, 70-62. Huntington went winless in SVC play, while ZT featured Pierce Mowery and had finished 2nd in the SVC. The Pioneers beat the Huntsmen twice, by a combined 40 points and had a big lead at the half. Huntington’s Elijah Shanks finished with 30 and crossed the 1,000 point mark as the Huntsmen shocked the Pioneers

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Westfall over Valley was the biggest upset that I remember. 6’8 twins. 6’5 yates 6’5 Phillips and all skilled. Valley could have gone deep that year.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:25 pm That Southeastern team needed a buzzer beater to upset Zane Trace in the opening round. Then beat 1 seeded Lynchburg Clay in the Sectional Finals, an LC team that returned 3 starters from a Final Four run the year before.

They beat Minford in the District Semis with Ruby going off in that 4th quarter. I think they trailed Oak Hill something like 10-0 after the first quarter before making a big run to be close at the half. They actually won that game by 4, the biggest differential of those 4 tournament wins.

Coach Slaughter would be let go for a “Southeastern guy” after that season, and the Panthers have gone 30-80 since, while Slaughter guided Cambridge to a District Runner-Up last year. I do think Coach Adams (the 2nd SE guy) is a good coach and with time, they’ll be okay. It was just a silly reason to replace Slaughter, especially when it wasn’t immediately for Adams.
. Exactly. This why the good programs are good and the have not’s continue to be not very good

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Westfall over Valley was huge. The twins weren't 6'8" though, 6'6" for sure. Yates was 6'5", Horton was 6'3 or 6'4"ish id say too. They were talented, but weren't as tough as they could have been. We (Valley) also got beat the year before at the Convo by Ironton, with freshmen Waginger, Gagai and company.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Oak Hill’s tournament run to Regionals in 2006-07.
#7 Seed
10-10 regular season
6-8 in SOC2

Beat Wellston 40-20
Upset #2 seed Alexander 53-50 for the Sectional Championship
Upset #3 seed South Point 62-56 in OT
Upset #4 seed Fairland 56-48 for the District Championship

The previous year Fairland beat Oak Hill by around 40.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Vinton County beating Unioto(at the Convo)-- I think Unioto was ranked 3rd in the State--- no one gave VC a chance.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:25 pm That Southeastern team needed a buzzer beater to upset Zane Trace in the opening round. Then beat 1 seeded Lynchburg Clay in the Sectional Finals, an LC team that returned 3 starters from a Final Four run the year before.

There is a reason Slaughter has had 6 jobs in 8 years...he didn't "guide" the team in the right direction at all. He had 6'5, 6'4 and 6'4 last year. Had the same team the year before and lost in the first game. I defended this clown the entire time he was at Cambridge because he knows basketball and scouts well but he is not a person you want as the face of your program. He is an egotistical snake who has no business being responsible for developing young people.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:32 pm 2015 tournament

2-20 Huntington beats 15-7 Zane Trace, 70-62. Huntington went winless in SVC play, while ZT featured Pierce Mowery and had finished 2nd in the SVC. The Pioneers beat the Huntsmen twice, by a combined 40 points and had a big lead at the half. Huntington’s Elijah Shanks finished with 30 and crossed the 1,000 point mark as the Huntsmen shocked the Pioneers
Good one….can’t say I remember that

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

vcgrad wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:46 am Vinton County beating Unioto(at the Convo)-- I think Unioto was ranked 3rd in the State--- no one gave VC a chance.
But was VC like 18-4 or something? (I don’t know, just know VC had those type seasons forever)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:16 am
vcgrad wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:46 am Vinton County beating Unioto(at the Convo)-- I think Unioto was ranked 3rd in the State--- no one gave VC a chance.
But was VC like 18-4 or something? (I don’t know, just know VC had those type seasons forever)
They were 19-4. Unioto was 21-1 and it was the first game back for Cole Cottrill after breaking both of his wrists 2 months prior. We held a decent sized lead through 2.5 quarters, but Bartoe ate our guards up to finish the game. It was disappointing, but that VC team was really good. Returned most everybody the next year and reached the Elite 8

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

True-- but everyone thought VC was weak-cause they were from the TVC-- and all the pressure was on Unioto---great game to watch.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

In 1961, Portsmouth upset undefeated 25-0 Urbana in the Class AA (big school) state championship game 50-44. The Trojans had beaten Elyria 54-52 in the semifinal. Urbana had beaten Cleveland East Tech in their semifinal.

In 1967, Portsmouth upset undefeated 19-0 Waverly 67-59 in the sectional final. The Trojans ended that season with an 11-11 mark, but did win the district championship.

Portsmouth upset defending Class AA (middle class) state champion Cleveland Cathedral Latin in the 1978 state championship game. PHS came into the game with a 18-7 record, and barely escaped Wheelersburg in the sectional final at Valley 54-52. Then the Trojans squeaked by Washington CH in OT 56-54 in the district championship. Jeff Lisath scored 22 points, with Craig Tubbs adding 18 for the Trojans.

2 years later, in 1980, Portsmouth (20-5) upset undefeated #1 26-0 Willard in the Class AA state semifinal 65-53, with Marcus Bendolph scoring 21 points. PHS then lost the state championship game to Hamilton Ross 45-44 on a last second shot by the Rams.

Portsmouth upset Albany Alexander in the 2004 sectional final at Rio Grande. The Spartans came into the game with a 16-4 mark, while PHS was 8-13. AA had a 6-7 player whose last name was Hale and was reputed to be an outstanding pitcher in baseball. Portsmouth then lost to Piketon 61-56 in the district semifinal, giving PHS a 9-14 final record.
Last edited by trojandave on Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

I would submit the 1996-97 Belpre Golden Eagles as far as the best run. Finishing 8-12 in the regular season before making it to the state tournament that year, finishing 14-13. wins over Chesapeake (62-59) in the regional semi and then Shenandoah (66-41) in the regional final. They then lost to Cleveland VASJ 63-57 in the state semis.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The Northwest Mohawks upset a top ten ranked Waverly in the first round of the AA sectionals at Lucasville. The year was possibly 1974 and the final score escapes me.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

91raider97bobcat wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:11 pm I would submit the 1996-97 Belpre Golden Eagles as far as the best run. Finishing 8-12 in the regular season before making it to the state tournament that year, finishing 14-13. wins over Chesapeake (62-59) in the regional semi and then Shenandoah (66-41) in the regional final. They then lost to Cleveland VASJ 63-57 in the state semis.
I tried to find who all they beat that postseason and the scores but couldn't find them, are they online somewhere?

Go Blue
91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

Whs95fan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:31 pm
91raider97bobcat wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:11 pm I would submit the 1996-97 Belpre Golden Eagles as far as the best run. Finishing 8-12 in the regular season before making it to the state tournament that year, finishing 14-13. wins over Chesapeake (62-59) in the regional semi and then Shenandoah (66-41) in the regional final. They then lost to Cleveland VASJ 63-57 in the state semis.
I tried to find who all they beat that postseason and the scores but couldn't find them, are they online somewhere?
I could only find the three games I noted in the OHSAA history. They don't have the full brackets up earlier than 2000.

Return to “Boys Basketball”