Whiteoak 75 Portsmouth 69

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Whiteoak 75 Portsmouth 69

Post by Ironman92 »

Big win for Whiteoak playing at Shawnee St

Bradley Ashbaugh went for 44 points.

Don’t know what kind of defense Portsmouth was playing but Ashbaugh is one of the streakiest shooters around. Earlier in year he went for 19 in the 1st qtr.

PTrojan59
S

Re: Whiteoak 75 Portsmouth 69

Post by PTrojan59 »

I didn’t watch any of the game, but looks like the Trojans didn’t play much defense at all. Giving up 75 total, 44 to one player. 44 is impressive congrats to that young man. Trojans have lost 3 in a row. Schedule Isn’t getting any easier with tilts against the rest of the OVC, Minford, Burg & West on the horizon. They had better figure things out in a hurry.

Who Dey!
sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

What’s going on with the Trojans? I though they were supposed to be a completely different team this year? Same old Trojans it seems like. Undisciplined, not running an offense, and no defense. I think it’s time for a change at Portsmouth, but I have a feeling if a change happens it won’t be much of a change.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

My same analysis on them. stand out shoot threes, no defense, .Portsmouth Trojans was the torch barrier for basketball in the state, where has that gone. Going thru motions looks like on video from game. Still like South Point, Ironton and Fairland in OVC.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Same old Portsmouth.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Losing will continue untill these kids committ to playing defense, they are averaging 70 some points a game so something is working on the offensive side?

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Coach Collins is a very good Coach… He’ll have Portsmouth a very dangerous team come Tournament time.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ashbaugh with room is one of the best shooters around. He’s not a Beau Justice, Dennis Gagai or Bo Myers but he’s a great shooter….those guys could get you off the dribble very well and pop a mid range or get to the line.

From Portsmouth’s perspective I don’t know how you give him an inch or not your full attention? Was he that unstoppable or did a Trojan player or two just not care that their guy scored 44 on them? Ashbaugh is nearing 1000 but I think New Boston held him to zero FG on the game.

There are guys like Robertson and Coulter who might have one of those unstoppable nights and go for 40 and there just wasn’t anything the defense could really do that night. D’Augustino pretty close too and maybe against a lesser team…Teagan Myers, Aiden Porter and some others in that discussion too.

If a guy has a big half someone else will have to beat us. Ashbaugh is over 20 ppg so far this season through 7 games

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Portsmouth vs The Peake our guards scored 26 and 17 against them. I think the difference is missing Roe as a leader. They will win games with their athletic ability. The Peake is scrappy and played tough defensively.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:44 pm Ashbaugh with room is one of the best shooters around. He’s not a Beau Justice, Dennis Gagai or Bo Myers but he’s a great shooter….those guys could get you off the dribble very well and pop a mid range or get to the line.

From Portsmouth’s perspective I don’t know how you give him an inch or not your full attention? Was he that unstoppable or did a Trojan player or two just not care that their guy scored 44 on them? Ashbaugh is nearing 1000 but I think New Boston held him to zero FG on the game.

There are guys like Robertson and Coulter who might have one of those unstoppable nights and go for 40 and there just wasn’t anything the defense could really do that night. D’Augustino pretty close too and maybe against a lesser team…Teagan Myers, Aiden Porter and some others in that discussion too.

If a guy has a big half someone else will have to beat us. Ashbaugh is over 20 ppg so far this season through 7 games

Everything he put up was falling not Everything was wide open , just one of them games .

We had a sophomore hit 8 straight threes in one game kids get on one like that every now and then ,but he is a good player

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

biggdowgg wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:42 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:44 pm Ashbaugh with room is one of the best shooters around. He’s not a Beau Justice, Dennis Gagai or Bo Myers but he’s a great shooter….those guys could get you off the dribble very well and pop a mid range or get to the line.

Everything he put up was falling not Everything was wide open , just one of them games .

We had a sophomore hit 8 straight threes in one game kids get on one like that every now and then ,but he is a good player
Like I said…he can shoot, does have a quick release and often it’s a step back from the 3 point line….just surprised after a while that one of those Portsmouth athletes weren’t just glued to him….the night before Whiteoak only scored 46.

Love Whiteoak’s scheduling for a D4 team.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Through 7 games Ashbaugh is sitting at 24 ppg

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Biggdowgg and I go to every Portsmouth game, so we are well aware of what troubles the Trojans so far this season......and biggdowgg has stated very correctly that defense is the issue with the team, not the offense.

Through 5 games, Portsmouth is averaging 72 PPG, which right now ranks in the top 10 in PHS history for PPG......no team posts those numbers playing solely one on one basketball or just jacking up 3's......I quite sure we have had quite a few assists to go with that 72 PPG. All teams at one time or another during games go one on one, or hoist up 3 pointers, but PHS seems to get singled out for it.

The defense is giving up 64 PPG, and if you take away the Hillsboro Christian game, the figure is 70 PPG. That's way too many to win games, and if it continues at that pace, Portsmouth will have a losing season. Not only have individual players like Ashbaugh have hurt us, but against Chesapeake it was a flood of layups by several players, and vs. South Point it pretty much was the same M.O.

Athletically, we can match anybody in the district......but being athletic doesn't win games necessarily. Defense is a collective effort by all involved, and right now the Trojans are not in sync.

I do think the starting lineup vs. Whiteoak is the one that gives PHS the best chance to win......Donovan Carr, Kenny Sanderlin, Daryionne Bryant, DeAndre Berry, and Tyler Duncan. It gives the Trojans good inside/outside scoring threats.

Everybody on here is entitled to their opinion, but what really is unfair is PHS is so often categorized as undisciplined......once again, you can't be that undisciplined to be averaging 72 PPG, and it's not accomplished by undisciplined athleticism.

The defense is something that takes communication, desire, and court awareness......right now, the Trojans are lacking it, and if it continues like this, it will be a disappointing season for PHS.

GO TROJANS!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

trojandave wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:19 pm Biggdowgg and I go to every Portsmouth game, so we are well aware of what troubles the Trojans so far this season......and biggdowgg has stated very correctly that defense is the issue with the team, not the offense.

Through 5 games, Portsmouth is averaging 72 PPG, which right now ranks in the top 10 in PHS history for PPG......no team posts those numbers playing solely one on one basketball or just jacking up 3's......I quite sure we have had quite a few assists to go with that 72 PPG. All teams at one time or another during games go one on one, or hoist up 3 pointers, but PHS seems to get singled out for it.

The defense is giving up 64 PPG, and if you take away the Hillsboro Christian game, the figure is 70 PPG. That's way too many to win games, and if it continues at that pace, Portsmouth will have a losing season. Not only have individual players like Ashbaugh have hurt us, but against Chesapeake it was a flood of layups by several players, and vs. South Point it pretty much was the same M.O.

Athletically, we can match anybody in the district......but being athletic doesn't win games necessarily. Defense is a collective effort by all involved, and right now the Trojans are not in sync.

I do think the starting lineup vs. Whiteoak is the one that gives PHS the best chance to win......Donovan Carr, Kenny Sanderlin, Daryionne Bryant, DeAndre Berry, and Tyler Duncan. It gives the Trojans good inside/outside scoring threats.

Everybody on here is entitled to their opinion, but what really is unfair is PHS is so often categorized as undisciplined......once again, you can't be that undisciplined to be averaging 72 PPG, and it's not accomplished by undisciplined athleticism.

The defense is something that takes communication, desire, and court awareness......right now, the Trojans are lacking it, and if it continues like this, it will be a disappointing season for the Trojans.

GO TROJANS!!!
On this thread I haven’t seen anyone having any issue with Portsmouth’s offense and you make good points for the ones that do feel that way.

70 ppg to allow is a crazy number to me….but I’m used to watching the FAC where our football scores are higher than our basketball scores.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: As far as issues with our offense, re-read sportsfan2244 and PrimeTime's comments. They are negatively singling out issues with an offense that's averaging 72 PPG. For a team that has supposedly has offensive issues, Portsmouth seems to be doing pretty well on that end of the court.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I do want to congratulate the Wildcats......they deserved to win and Ashbaugh was the best player we've faced so far.

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

Are they working within the offense to get this 70 some points per game? How many are high percentage shots? I just feel majority of the games I’ve seen last year it was 3 after 3 after 3. In my comment I should of said sounds like the same old Trojans from previous years. PHS had a lot of hype this season but so far it’s been a struggle. I think the Trojans need some enthusiasm within the program. Gene is a great coach but I think it’s almost time for him to step aside and get someone in there with some enthusiasm. I don’t see anyone on the current staff that can provide that.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

sportsfan2244: Our leading scorer this year is Kenny Sanderlin, who is not a 3 point shooter. He's only made about two 3's so far. He does his scoring in the paint with quite a few And 1's. Our second leading scorer is Daryionne Bryant, and he's not a 3 point shooter either. So right there is evidence that what Portsmouth is doing this year is quite different than last season or going back to when Matthew Fraulini was scoring 1,000+ points, with PHS being a perimeter oriented team.

What the Trojans have done well this year is imposing a faster tempo on the opponent, hence the higher scoring numbers. What PHS has done a very poor job is defending the paint......way too many uncontested layups. For instance, South Point shot 50% from the floor, and they didn't have that many 3's. Hard to win when your opponent is shooting 50%. Chesapeake only made about two 3's even with 75 points scored.

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

I just thought this year would be different with the Trojans with all the preseason hype. Still same ole Trojans.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Portsmouth will get it together. A lot of new faces on the floor and they will build chemistry.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005

Return to “Boys Basketball”